Seanzilla

[Closed] Dungeon Master Online Episode 2

169 posts in this topic

Dungeon Master Online

In the year 2018 Virtual Reality technology has finally become a reality. By 2023 VR-Helmets became widespread, nearly every teenager in the world owned one, and 2025 marked the release of the first videogame that fully utilized the VRH.

MMO developers quickly hoped onto what would be next big development in the MMO market. The world’s very first VRH MMO, Dungeon Crawler Online, was released in 2030. The game had its faults, but the novelty of playing an MMO using the VRH made it extremely popular.

The DCO formula was copied and improved upon by many companies, but none of them managed to capture the magic of DCO, until the developers of DCO decided to release a sequel to the game.

Dungeon Master Online was announced on the 10 year anniversary of DCO, in 2040, and it immediately went into Closed Beta. The major improvements made in the VR technology over the past 10 years allowed the developers, Sandstorm Entertainment, to create an even better game.

After a year of intense Beta Testing, it was finally time to release DMO to the public! As expected millions worldwide purchased the game on its release date and rushed home to play the sequel to their favourite MMO. The sequel was released alongside a brand new, super advanced VRH called the VRH-X.

However, minutes after logging in for the first time the millions of players realized that they were unable to log out! This caused mass panic among the players.

What the hell is going on!?

Background

First of all: this game is heavily influenced by .hack, SAO, Log Horizon and similar stories. The idea of being trapped in a digital world was always fascinating and by making this RP set in an online DnD world the game can be very Meta, which makes it easier for me to create NPCs specifically to guide you (since this is more than likely your first time playing DnD).

Player Characters will be people playing a High Fantasy MMO called Dungeon Master Online. Yes the name is intentionally dumb as shit. These players are all stuck in an online world with no means of being safely disconnecting (being pulled out of the VRH-X without shutting it down properly fries their brains).

It was quickly revealed that dying in this game also makes the VRH-X fry their brain, leading to their death in the real world. Now fully aware of how dangerous their situation really is the players have to find a way to escape this digital world!

The world of DMO is hyper realistic. Every NPC has been programmed with sophisticated AI to accurately replicate human behavior; they are even able to hold conversations with PCs. Time and weather work exactly the same way as they do in the real world. PCs get hungry and tired and have to eat and rest in order to operate optimally.

Meanwhile in the real world the millions of DMO players were moved to several hospitals. This way doctors could oversee them while they are stuck in the game and make sure that the players don’t do in real life due to malnourishment or any other cause.

Sandstorm Entertainment, however, has vanished without a trace. All its employees were either found dead or not found at all. No one knows who has done this, but many suspect the Director (Robert Morhaime) to have been behind this.

Game Type

The RP will be run with Dungeons and Dragons 4E rules. This RP will be closed at a max of 5 PCs, if any of these PCs drop out during the campaign, others may take their place. Ideally this 5 man party would consist of a Defender, a Leader, two Strikers and a Controller. (EDIT: Actually, we could have a 6th PC. Would make the first campaign easy, so I'd have to tune it up a bit, but it shouldn't be a probem.)

Remember, if you're joining this RP it's expected that you either participate until the end of an Adventure or find a way to drop your character from the story.

Create a character sheet here, feel free to use the character creation and basic D&DG guide here. If you need help creating a character, feel free to PM me. When creating your character you should follow the standard rules of DnD. Ability scores will be generated using method 2:

Method 2, Customized: again you are given 6 numbers; 8, 10, 10, 10, 10 and 10, and 22 extra points you are free to divide among the stats. Depending on how your stats are, the points per score ratio could increase. For example: Raising a stat from 10 to 13 costs 3 points (1 point per score), but raising it an extra level to 14 costs 2 extra points. A table with the costs will be added to the bottom.

I won’t be using a board for this RP, since it is supposed to be text based, but I will provide you with a map of the areas you’re exploring and during encounters I’ll provide you with a map with the layout of the battlefield, your position and the positions of the enemy. You don’t have to strictly abide by your characters speed score, but use it as a point of reference when it comes to how far your PC can get in one turn.

Player Characters

Group (A)nimals

Group (B)easts

Non-Player Characters

Quests

• Kill the bandits in the Silver Keep.
    - Find the signet ring and deliver it to Valthrun.
    or
    - Find the signet ring and deliver it to Ernest Padraig.
  •  

• Cha'ac, Iris, Solitude, Amroth and Quarius completed the "Trouble in Winterhaven" quest and received the "the Goblin Punter" title.
  • -

Rules

I will create an IC thread and all actions will take place in that thread. You are free to RP your actions as much as you want, even a single sentence is enough, and at the end of the RP put your roll results and the actions you took in between brackets for easy reference.

If you want to have dialogue with an NPC you can chose to either take turns responding or do it all in one go through Skype and then post it. Either is fine.

During combat everyone should post what actions they will take and all the rolls accompanying them and as soon as everyone has posted I will perform the actions of the creatures and end the Turn. If you want to take a reactionary action, simply put it in your post.

Example post:

[Move towards Goblin Cutter (if Goblin moves out of range use Run), use Twin Strike (if he is still out of range after using Run, use Charge).
Attack 1: 
Roll(1d20)+5:Total:16, Damage: Roll(1d6)+2:Total:6 
Attack 2: Roll(1d20)+5: Total:10, Damage: Roll(1d6)+2:
Total:6
]

After the Paladin crushed his previous target Faeron quickly dashed for the remaining Goblin Cutter and struck twice with his Twin Strike power, hoping to end this fight.

For the first 24 hours signups are closed for anyone other than the original 5 members of Group A. After that it is first come, first serve. No reservations.

Bear in mind that this won't start for at least a week.

Amroth takes his greatbow, the thing being bigger than himself and walks up to the strange man, standing next to Iris, giving her a smile and nod. "I'll join this little bunch as well."

Oh, yeah, if any of you want to reroll you are free to do so. I'll let you keep all the XP and Gold earned by your current character and give you a new Magic Item fitting for your new character (of the same level as your current item).

New players (if we get any) will get a level 2 PC so that they can participate in the level 2 adventure without being dead weight. They won't get a Magic Item or the Title, though.

A question: Since Solitude already picked up the quest for the original 5 members of Group A, what happens if we split up or reroll to new characters?

I am implementing changes to the way the game will be played this time to make it a bit more fast paced and with less time constraints.

So I'll open up signups and create a second group if I get enough people.

And about the quest: You can assume that DMO has all the basic MMO functions, including a quest sharing button. So even if Solitude is the one who picked up the quest, you all got it in your Questlogs. Even if you split up you can complete it.

For everyone who's interested in creating characters but are unclear about DnD classes or the options available for character creation, Wahad has very kindly provided an automatic Character Builder. It provides lists of skills, classes, feats and items which are available upon character creation, among other things. Contact me or Wahad on PM or Skype for the link.

I think I'll also have a go. I'll most likely reroll as well, since I didn't really get very far with my first roll anyway. 

Okay, at the moment we have Noia, DayDreamer, DragonGuard, TriOctium and Wahad, the original members of Group A, and HerculeHastings, Etereality, Kyo and Rubberrazors who also want to join.

If anyone has any preferences for who they want to play with (or don't want to play with) post it here, tell me on Skype or whatever. 

EDIT: Also I'll mention now that during encounters there'll be a '1 Action per 24 Hours' rule in place. If you aren't able to, someone else will take your turn for you. So don't join if you aren't going to keep up.

Kyo, you can make your character Level 2, to keep up with the rest of the team.

Nice character though!

Well, I'd prefer to play with HH, but in that instance I'd be looking at playing a Paladin defender rather than my current character. So if someone else from her group really wants to play the defender role, I guess I'd just stick with my original group.

At this point just assume that there are no set groups. I can (probably) mix and match everyone so that everyone gets to play whatever they want to. I think at this point Timey is the only other person who mentioned wanting to play a Defender (not sure if Roy wants to continue with Cha'ac or pick someone else), so if I'd put both of you in seperate groups that would have solved the problem.

Consider my role blank. I can fill in whatever gap needs be once the others have decided their choice.

Can I join? I've played a few (shitty) games of tabletop D&D before, with pre-made characters, though. xD

I'd be interested in crafting my own, but I don't particularly have a preference for the class or whatever it's called. I might need a bit of guidance and such.

I'm seeing page numbers. -flail-

Can someone point me to the appropriate reference?

Yes, you are welcome to join, of course. If you need help just holler.

Also, update, at this point we have:

Defenders: Timey and DayDreamer

Leaders: HH and Noia
Strikers: DragonGuard and Kyo
Controllers: -

Blank: Wahad, rubberrazors, Etereality and Alisyn

http://orokos.com/dnd4e/sheets/6472

Updated for Level 2 version. 

Also I screenshotted all my powers and feats into a word document and sent it to Sean. Might be an idea so he can keep track of your powers, since there is no detailed info in the sheets generated. 

I'm fine with playing either Controller or Defender, depending on team requirements. I originally suggested Defender cuz Wahad might not be participating, but if there are enough Defenders then I'll just switch back to good old Quarius. I think Sanzi told me Sunni wanted to play a Defender too.