Valentine

Civil War in Ukraine?

4 posts in this topic

So, right now, at this very moment, there are riots in the Ukraine, and have been, for several days I believe. Non-stop. It's because the Ukrainian government has announced itself as a dictatorship WITHOUT the consent of its people and have effectively taken away a large amount of their human rights. Basic things really, most of which you'll see we should all have a right to. There are already a number of deaths reported, on both sides. 

Apparently, there has been a body found in the woods nearby, and a group of police officers are suspected to have been responsible. The crowd are using pretty much anything from rocks, to molotovs and even fireworks. I'll just provide a couple of links here, first, an outline of their grievances/situation basically: http://craphound.com/images/dictatorship-en.jpg

Secondly, and I warn you because there are some disturbing scenes in this video so don't watch it if you have a light constitution or basically,

for whatever reason, you shouldnt be watching it - some footage of the riots going on:

How does everyone feel about this? Is violence the right action? Is it justified as they've had many of their rights taken away by their government? Did you know that many of the major countries seem to be lacking any news coverage of this for some reason? In fact only 2 out of 60 or so people i've talked to this evening knew anything about it. How do you feel it should be handled if not like this? 

UPDATE: Police have stormed Kiev protestor barricades, killing 5 people. It has also been leaked that tanks are reportedly moving towards kiev,

its unclear right now as to whether they are moving in support of the public, or if it's for the reinforcement for the police/government and the intimidation of the crowd.

Another update to this story, for anyone that might care.

Apparently the Ukrainian President, Viktor Yanukovich, tried to buy off the leaders of the opposition and the rioters by offering them politics seats, including a position as the Prime Minister. Thankfully, the leader of the rebels can't be bought with power - they refused his offer and have resumed rioting, even laying siege to buildings.

Story here - http://rt.com/news/opposition-ukraine-rejects-proposal-203/

I've been following this. Very very sad. This is what it takes though, and I'm glad they have people willing to rebel like that. 

Aye. Russia is gonna be pissed though. I believe Russia supported this dictatorship switch (shocking. lol) and even gave the Ukrainian president something like 15 billion or something like that to support this change, and a bunch of other stuff. So if he DOES get deposed then we are going to have a cranky Russia on our hands, and nobody wants that. lol. But, if that's the least of the world's problems for stopping draconian laws taking away the rights of an entire country, so be it.