Seanzilla

(A) Episode Two: One Ring To Rule Nothing At All

194 posts in this topic

"Guildmaster. Hmm." Iris nodded, as the rest of the team also caught up with the new quest's details. Her spanking new title's already displayed proudly in front of her username, catching envious gazes from both NPCs and players alike. She twirled her useless weapon around again.

"I guess this is it. We're done with this town. Where are the teleporting people?"

Nam adjusted the black rimmed glasses on her head and sighed. 

"I was done with this town before it was cool...am I doing this right? At any rate let's move on."

Amroth looked around the village. He expected it felt good to be back again, but his money getting stolen and the locals being assholes to him only made him on edge being here. "I guess we should ask around for the best route and any dangers that might lurk between here and the new city." He said as soon as Quarius returned with their money. "I think it's best if Quarius doesn't go near Padraig, and I'd best keep away from Vulthrun. So I'll go to Padraig, you guys ask around and stock up, it might be a dangerous road."

He asked around to where he could find Padraig, and when he finally found him he smiled at the man. "Greetings sir, I wish to travel to Avalon to the east yet I know nothing of the path that leads there, do you mayhaps have any information that could help me get there safely?"

While Amroth tried some of his charm on the local Lord, Quarius thought that since DMO was a game, it would still be likely that there would be some kind of quest marker or guide which would bring them on the fastest path to Avalon. While he walked towards Valthrun's estate, he fiddled with the GUI before him, playing around with the map function as he tried to find the quest marker he was looking for.

(If Quarius is not able to find the quest marker on the map:)

Only slightly disappointed at the failed attempt, Quarius switched his face into a cheerful and warm expression as he knocked thrice on the wooden door of Valthrun's tower, pushing the door open slightly. "Good afternoon once again, Valthrun. My band of adventurers would like to travel to the nearby town of Avalon. Do you happen to know of the quickest or safest way to get there? And perhaps, might you know of any notable points or dangerous creatures we might encounter along the way?"

After discussing it with Valthrun and Padraig Quarius and Amroth discovered that the best way to reach Avalon would be to follow a caravan of traders that would be heading over there next. The traders would depart next morning and had no objections to the party following them. If they chose to go by themselves, without the guidance of the caravan, chances of them stumbling upon danger too difficult for them would be too high.

The next morning the group, along with several other groups of players, joined the caravan on the journey towards Avalon. The journey took at least a day and a half as they walked through a dense forest, but thanks to the guidance of the caravan they managed to avoid encountering dangers of any sort.

Eventually they arrived at a group of high bluffs that seemed to be connected by something unidentifiable from the ground. “We’re here,†the leader of the caravan exclaimed as he led everyone to a platform overseen by half a dozen guards. The leader told everyone to wait while he had an inaudible word with the guards. After a minute he signaled everyone to get on the platform as the guards stepped off.

“Your first time here, right?†The guard asked, directed at the group of adventurers. “I can always tell when someone is new here. Try not to fall off, cleaning the blood can be such a hassle.†Before anyone could ask what he meant the platform shot up into the air, carrying the entirety of the caravan. The members of the caravan laughed at the adventurers who were as proficient at keeping their balance as the others.

The platform stopped rising once it reached the height of the bluff it bordered and it quickly latched on to the surface of the bluff. The members of the caravan waved goodbye as they stepped off the platform and headed into a city several times the size of Winterhaven.

The city was indeed an enormous place, and if Quarius had been left here with nothing else to do for the good half of the day, he would have spent the time thoroughly exploring the city in its entirety and making a catalogue of every shop and facility available for future reference. However, today he was a man with a mission, having heard that the next quest available to his party possibly entailed the creation of a guild.

He had called dibs on being a Guildmaster since he stepped into the game.

Some might have said that a vote of 3 was required to make any sort of progress at all. To that notion, Quarius could only snort and march off towards the place marked "Guild Hall", trusting that his fellow party members would have the same idea. He searched for the NPC who was named "Guildmaster", marching up to him before any other parties or Wizards could interfere.

"My name is Quarius, and I am here because I heard you were looking for my party. I am also interested in starting a guild, might this be related to your intention of meeting me by any chance?"

The group noticed a building called the Guild Hall on their map and concluded that that must have been the location of the Guildmaster. On their way to the Guild Hall they met a different party of adventurers that they had met during their journey to Avalon.

Once they stepped into the Guild Hall they heard a female voice welcome them. “Welcome, adventurers, to Avalon.†A woman with long blond hair, dressed in a red dress and a black hooded cape came walking down a large ornate staircase. “You are the adventurers sent here from Winterhaven, I assume. I am Sierra, the Guildmaster, and I will serve as your guide.â€

She moved towards a bookcase and pulled a large ledger out of it. “My first piece of advice: create or join a Guild. Joining a Guild would offer a lot of perks and privileges exclusive to those registered to a Guild. There are two restrictions to starting a guild: you need 10 members to sign your charter and the creator has to be level 3 or higher.†Sierra examined the group of adventurers before her. “Luckily you are 10! Well, are you going to create a Guild?â€

[Everyone receives 270XP for a level up. From this point on Group A and B are (temporarily) together. Group B members will (temporarily) also RP in this thread.]

Quarius coughed, stepping up to the Guildmaster. "Yes, as I was mentioning, I would definitely like to start a guild. Where do I sign?"

Amroth raised his eyebrow at Quarius. "Who died and made you leader?" He wasn't against Quarius being guild leader, but he thought they should have have a vote for it at least. "Ever heard of a thing called democracy?"

Quarius turned to look at Amroth, then at the five new adventurers who had joined their little group as well. "Oh, where are my manners?" He bowed deeply towards the five strangers, smiling warmly as he did. "My apologies, I completely forgot my manners! I am Quarius, the Wizard of my party. And this is Amroth, Cha'ac, Iris and Nam," he continued introducing, gesturing to each party member as he did. "Are you guys here to create a guild too, by any chance?"

"Are we going to form a guild with them?" asked Korrelia doubtfully. I mean, this bunch of people couldn't even decide whom the guild leader should be. It looked like they had some teamwork issues too. Besides, she hardly knew them. What if they didn't get along?

She was thrown off by Quarius suddenly turning around to address her. Oh dear, had he heard her? She smiled sheepishly and nodded at him.

"Hi, I'm Korrelia," she said, flashing her Diplomatic Smile. "I'm the, well, performer and entertainer of my party, I guess. Yes, we're here to create a guild. The guildmaster seems to suggest we'll be forming a guild together, but if you've other plans..."

"HI~~~~" Dayereth greeted the new faces cheerfully as he bounced up to everyone after Korrelia. "I'm Dayereth, and those are Col, Bachy, and man-mountain 'machus. If we're going to make a guild, I nominate 'lia for leader. She's smart, talented, and beautiful--she'd be perfect as the face of our guild."

Bachydios the Bandit Whisperer regarded the new party with interest. It seems like they all had the same title too. Was it just a coincidence or was DMO actually a really linear game? 

Anyway, he decided to keep quiet and observe the negotiations first. To keep things light-hearted, he subtly used Ghost Sound to create farting sounds that seemed to emanate from the wizard Quarius. He made sure to keep the noises just loud enough for the members of the other party to hear. With Prestidigitation, he created a strong odor and kept it centered around the wizard.

Then he did his best to keep a straight face.

Aramachus shook his head. "The only reasonable way to settle leadership is to put it to an anonymous vote where people can have their say freely. I won't join the guild at all if it is to be founded on arguments and clashing egos. There's no sense being a guild without unity."

Quarius immediately noticed the use of Arcana, keeping his serious face on as he identified the most likely source - the Wizard named Bachydios on the other team. He narrowed his eyes, contemplating whether he should slip an note filled with Explosive Runes to Bachydios some time in the future, but decided that such extreme measures were unnecessary. Instead, he simply used his own Prestidigitation to push the smell towards his adversary, and at the same time made a dark, damp stain appear at the front of Bachydios's robes, below his navel.

"Well, what Aramachus says makes sense. I will vote for myself, of course, because I have been calling dibs on being a Guildmaster since DMO started."

Arcana check:

Roll(1d20)+13:
14,+13
Total:27

Korrelia, being a highly Perceptive person, had long smelled a very strange odour. However, the odd thing was that she couldn't quite tell its source, for it seemed to come from everywhere. In any case, she wasn't one to point out what smelled familiarly like fart, so she kept a straight face and ignored her tingling olfactory senses.

"I agree with Aramachus that an anonymous poll would work best," she said, "but will also take time, and won't be very reliable or professional in this context. I'm up for whomever, of course, as long as they're competent and just." She made sure to add the last bit quickly, though she secretly agreed that Dayereth that perhaps she ought to be leader... but of course, she had not performed any feats of note in the last combat. And really, who would notice a Bard?

Bachydios personally thought that deciding the guid leader by random and rotating the role every day was the fairest option. After all, there are two parties here with equal numbers of members and in all likelihood they were just going to end up voting on their side.

Then he got distracted by the stain that magically appeared on his robe. Thankfully, he was standing behind his group, so it was unlikely anyone saw. Annoyed, he made soil stains appear on both the front and back of the navel regions of the wizard's leather armor. Then, he also threw in puffs of air in that region for good measure, keeping it active with the odor. After all, everyone would see Quarius' stains since he was addressing everyone, not Bachydio's own.

[3 instances of Prestidigitation active]

"Yeah, that's enough of this."

Sierra snapped her fingers and two heavily armed guards came walking into the room. "Grow up or get out."

"Whoever is emitting that foul smell, go take a fucking bath," Dayereth snapped, annoyed as a horrible smell began to permeate the area and quite unconcerned with social niceties. "I'm assuming you aren't brats who haven't been acquainted with water, and you're in the presence of a lady; you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Just because we're in some horribly-programmed medieval game doesn't mean we have to live with pigs.

"And while they're cleaning up, let's go ahead and do the anonymous vote 'machus suggested. Doesn't seem like there are any better options. Though Mr. Stinky should automatically be eliminated. Anyone got paper and something to write with?"

Bachydios stopped sustaining the cantrips reluctantly. 

"Won't we all just end up voting for our own party representative? It's not like we have any reason to vote the members from the other party."

Seeing as his adversary had stepped down, Quarius removed all traces of his magic as well, causing the air around the place to lighten up considerably. "What are the benefits of being a guildmaster anyway?" He asked Sierra. "If there aren't any major advantages, I think that we might as well just pick anyone to take on the role."

"No advantages. The GM is simply the one who controls membership."

"Well, there you go. Now I can't say for the rest of you guys but it's always been my dream to be a guildmaster... So if there isn't anyone else who strongly wishes to be guildmaster, I think I'd be a good fit. I've played MMOs such as this for many years, and I'd know a thing or two about leading a guild."

After a lot of debating it was decided that the newbie MMO players Korrelia would become guildmaster. Sierra had her doubts that any of these people could actually pull off the job, but she was interested in finding out how Korrelia would do in her new job as politician. “Well, guildmaster, time to get to work. If you all would follow me.â€

The group followed Sierra as she lead them out of the Guild Hall. “The first order of business: you need a lieutenant, an advisor, a second in command. Whatever you want to call it. This person would have the same authority in the guild that you do, but he could get demoted or replaced by you if you ever feel like it.†The group stepped on a bridge that led to a second bluff. If they’d open their maps they’d see that the bluff they were on was known as East Avalon.

“Second, you need a guildname. Feel free to discuss it with your members, but in the end you are the one who gets to decide the name.†Another bridge, this one leading to the third bluff, known as Adventurer’s Island. “Last but not least, you get to decide what kind of Guild HQ you get on Adventurer's Island. A Guild HQ is basically a building that provides almost anything for your members, as long as you have properly upgraded and outfitted the HQ. So what kind of HQ would you like to have?â€

Korrelia hadn't quite believed that she had somehow been made guild leader. Was this how politics happened in the real world too, where a select group of people collaborated to put 1 person in power, and therefore immediately count as a majority? Either way, she couldn't help but feel a small shred of guilty delight. She was a guild leader, who would have known? She would like very much to see the look on Shawnzeala's face when she found him.

"A lieutenant, an advisor, and a second-in-command?" Korrelia asked the guildmaster confusedly. "Oh wait, you meant they're all synonyms for the same person. I knew that..." she hoped she hadn't betrayed too much of her ignorance of MMOs. "In that case, I'd like to call for a discussion on all 3 matters." She knew that as guild leader of a bunch of people who didn't know each other very well, it was important to keep everyone's opinions valued. That, and her knees were also shaking in those jeggings.

"I don't know all of you very well yet to be a keen judge of who can make a good second-in-command," she said, trying to keep a straight voice. It was difficult to talk with gravity and steadiness when she had spent all her time on DMO lilting, "but I'd like anyone who's interested to step out, and from this pool I shall find a way to decide on the best person."

She knew that Quarius was definitely interested. He was an assertive person, after all, anyone could see that. But as with assertive people, they could only be the leader (which he was not, already). He would only appear pushy if placed in any other role. Would the two be able to work well? She sized him up against her will. Maybe he was receptive to feminine charms... Well, maybe there would be other options too.

"As for guild name and guildhouse, I would like everyone to chip in with your ideas and opinions," she said. "For those who haven't been able to speak up before, especially, now would be a good time for me to get to know what you're like."