Seanzilla

(B) Episode Two: One Ring To Rule Nothing At All

152 posts in this topic

The bandit rubbed his chin while thinking. "Good point, but, hear me out, what if we killed you, robbed them and forced your performers to entertain us for the rest of their lives? Also a good deal, eh?"

Frankly, Korrelia had much rather attack these people now. They were such leering jerks, and she could not bear people who insulted performers. However, she knew she must calm down and reason with them pleasantly. That was what she did best after all. Gripping her flute tightly, she forced a grin.

"Indeed, I'm sure that would be a great deal," she said sweetly, "but wouldn't it be better if we performed for you willingly, rather than being forced? I certainly wouldn't mind playing for you anytime, but my instruments have temperaments. They wouldn't co-operate with me if they're in a bad mood, and the music wouldn't be as magical. Tell you what, if you let my group pass, I'll stay behind and play for you for the next three hours. Any tune you desire! We can settle down in a cosy spot and have some tea, and I'll entertain you with my flute and harp.

"Of course, you can also force me to do it, but as travelling performers, we have met all kinds of people on our travels. We will exercise means of defence if necessary, and I really don't want to have blood spilled over my instruments. Music is meant to bring people together, after all."

She winked at her teammates. She knew they would protest at going on without her, but this was the surefire way to gain their goodwill. She picked up her flute and began blowing in it now, a simple but jaunty tune.

[Diplomacy roll: 1d20 + 12

Roll result: 30]

“Hmm, how about that. You can come willingly to my quarters with me and I’ll let you play with my instruments, I assure you they won’t be in a bad mood and you could play for more than only three hours. I am sure you’d enjoy playing with my flute.â€

"Vile creature! There is no reasoning with animals. I'm here for your head, go wash your neck and wait for my blade!" Aramachus shouted. He could no longer act nice to such despicable men. He'd expected to assault the keep directly in the first place, so he may as well drop the pretence now.

He drew his sword, raised his shield, and advanced on the bridge guards.

[All Adventurers act first and then all Bandits will act. As always you are free to position yourself within the black square prior to taking your first turn.]

Aramachus surged forward as fast as he could in his heavy armour, scowling at the apparent mage who was the source of the debauched insults. The two guards in front of the gate were ignored for the moment, as Aramachus ran with disregard to his own defense. He marched right up in front of them and pointed his sword at the mage, issuing his Divine Challenge, "Face me fiend, or the Light shall burn you!" If the mage chose to attack any of his allies and not him, he'd be seared by divine radiance. The mark coupled with Aramachus' Group Defense feat meant that his allies would be strengthened against any attack from the marked mage anyway.

He shouted back to his allies for a moment, declaring to them "The mage is mine!"

His challenge issued, Aramachus swung his sword down on the guard in front of him, unleashing his Ardent Strike.

--

[Run rather than move]

[divine challenge on mage]

[Ardent Strike on adjacent guard]

[Hit:1d20+10: 14 [1d20=4]]
[Damage:1d8+5: 7 [1d8=2]]

As the conversation continued, Dayereth felt his anger building at the bandits' treatment of their team, especially Korellia. Maybe it was just in their programming to act like swine, but that didn't mean they had to tolerate it.

"How dare you talk to 'lia like that?" Dayereth demanded angrily, his face twisting in wrath. He was quite glad when Aramachus rushed forward to engage the guard--mostly because Dayereth was also ready to crush these cretins into pulp, but partly because he always felt reassured when he was behind a nice, sturdy barrier. His hands were shaking with rage as he flicked his wand at one of the guards, setting a Curse on him, before trying to summon up another ball of energy to burn the heart out of him.

"You're an enemy to women everywhere! Let's see if you can get anyone to play your flute after I cut it off!"

Warlock's Curse on Left Guard

Eldritch Blast on Left Guard

[Hit:1d20+5: 9 [1d20=4]] (vs. Reflex)
[Damage:1d10+4+1d6: 12 [1d10=4, 1d6=4]]

"Sure, sure, he's all yours." Bachydios muttered, as he readied his spell. He was still peeved that Aramachus had charged before he could demonstrate his knowledge of Arcana lore.

"Winged Horde!" It seemed weird to announce your attack beforehand, but that was what the characters in the JRPGs always did.

Anyway, Winged Horde was a pretty impressive skill to witness. However, only the enemy NPCs and Bachydios himself could actually see what it did since it didn't affect allies. A swarm of dark beings with beings burst outwards from the area like bats, mostly just distracting the enemies.

Standard: Casting Winged Horde (Effect: Enemies only; Targets cannot take Opportunity Actions until the end of my next turn)
Left HG 15+5= 20
Right HG 19+5= 24
Damage: 1d6 = 1

Korrelia was in an instant angry at the guards but also flooded with a warm feeling as her groupmates swarmed up to her rescue. Aramachus, Dayereth and Bachydios all swung their first strikes. She looked at the Mage, who had been marked by the group as the greatest threat. He was safely enclosed in the courtyard, imperturbable at least at first. She stepped up behind the safety of Aramachus and held out her dagger, preparing for a Jinx Shot.

[Jinx Shot 1d20+9

Roll result: 10

If hit: 1d4+5

Roll result: 6]

Bachydio's Initiative Time Bar (ITB) was taking a rally long time to fill up again. He tapped at his UI again, wondering if the system was lagging. What'd it be like, to have a system in which your brain was plugged in to lag? Also, the looping battle music was kinda to annoy him; the tune itself was a pretty short one that lasted only ten seconds each time. Were the producers short on cash when they built this game?

Next to him, he saw Col raise her Greatbow and take aim at the left Human Guard. A blip appeared over the Guard, signaling that he's been marked with Hunter's Quarry. Col then loosed two arrows at him in what seemed like the blink of an eye, although that may just have been the system lagging again.

Minor: Hunter Quarry on left HG
Twin Strike on Left HG
Attack:
rolling 1d20+6
(7)+6
= 13

Damage:
rolling 1d12
(7)
= 7

Attack:
rolling 1d20+6
(12)+6
= 18

Damage:
olling 1d12
(7)
= 7

Hunter's Quarry:
rolling 1d6
(3)
= 3

After the group's miserable attempts to start a fight it was time for the bandits to retaliate. Two Berserkers who hadn't done anything yet moved closer to prepare for combat while the two Guards aimed their blows at Aramachus. One of the strikes missed but the other hit Aramachus, dealing significant damage.

Alex, the Mage, laughed as the mark placed upon him disappeared due to Aramachus' inability to engage him during his turn. "Stupid Paladin! Take this!" He shouted as three bolts of lightning shot from his staff at Aramachus, Korrelia and Dayereth. Aramachus sustained a critical hit, Korrelia got hit normally, but Dayereth's Reflexes were enough to save him from the bolt.

[Guard 1 Rolled: 18 Attack. Missed.
Guard 2 Rolled: 21 Attack and 8 damage.
Bolt on Aramachus was 27 (Crit). Max damage was 10.
Bolt on Korrelia was 13, hit, damage was 10.

Bolt on Dayereth was 11. Missed.]

"NOW YOU'VE DONE IT! NOW YOU DIE!" Bachydios roared, as his orb crackled with purple Arcana. 

"KNEEL BEFORE ME!! ILLUSIONIST TECHNIQUE: PHANTOM CHASM!!"

In the minds of the bandits, they imagined that there was a brief rumble. In the next instant, a void snapped open underneath their feet, sucking them into a terrifying oblivion.

Free: Enlarge Spell (+1 range, -2 attack rolls)
Standard: Phantom Chasm [Effect (Hit) - Prone and Immobilized until end of its next turn, Effect (Miss) - Immobilized until end of my next turn]
HM
rolling 1d20+3
(10)+3
= 13

Left HB
rolling 1d20+3
(18)+3
= 21

Right HB
rolling 1d20+3
(14)+3
= 17

Left HG
rolling 1d20+3
(3)+3
= 6

Right HG
rolling 1d20+3
(18)+3
= 21

Damage:
rolling 2d6+5
(5+2)+5
= 12

Dayereth frowned as his spell went wide due to his anger. Taking a deep breath to calm himself down, he flinched as he noticed another spell incoming, quickly skipping out of the way. As it imploded harmlessly next to him, he let out the breath he'd been holding. Bachydios was already moving, throwing another spell into the fray, and Dayereth figured it would be good for him to do the same.

"You just keep on laughing!" he called out to the mage in a light, friendly tone. "They say that being happy is the best way to live, after all. Not that you have much longer to do that."

Dayereth jabbed his wand at the guard in front of him, trying to clear the way so they could break into the courtyard and finish cleaning this up. It was all part of the quest anyways, right? Annihilate the bandits?

Eldritch Blast on Left Guard

[Hit:1d20+5: 21 [1d20=16]] (vs. Reflex)
[Damage:1d10+4+1d6: 13 [1d10=3, 1d6=6]]

Aramachus did his best to block with his shield, but hits still came through. He was smacked by the guard in front of him, and blasted by the mage's magic. He'd taken quite a beating, but it would take more than that to take him down. However, he noticed Korelia too had been hit by the magic attack pretty harshly as well. He turned to her and placed a hand on her forehead, his armoured gauntlet glowing with light as he cast Lay on Hands, spending a healing surge of his own to allow her to heal. "The Mage is clearly the greatest danger in addition to the biggest villain, I shall engage him closely, try to stay out of his range!" he announced.

As Aramachus moved around the remaining bridge guard, the bandit struck out at him, the sound of metal clanging echoing outward as Aramachus raised his shield in time to fend off the blow. He kept moving past, and was soon face-to-face with the Mage. "Now you're mine, fiend!" he cried, swinging his sword at the villain. The glow of his divine sanction emanated outward, grasping at the rest of the remaining bandits.

[Valorous Smite: 1d20+10: 27 [1d20=17]]
[Damage: 2d8+5: 14 [2d8=8, 1]]

Aramachus had gotten himself surrounded by the bandits, valiantly taking on the Mage, who did seem the strongest of the lot. He was indeed like a paladin, standing brave and tall despite the odds -- or perhaps because of them. Korrelia noticed that he was hurt, even though he was doing his best to stand upright and maintain a stoic face.

"You must stay strong!" she screamed at him from where she stood. "Don't falter! You can do this! Don't fall!"

[not sure what dice roll is required for Majestic Word, but targeting Aramachus]

Now that she had hopefully encouraged Aramachus, she looked now at the guard before her, her eyes stern.

"Get out of my way," she said through clenched teeth, and whipped out her Harp and her dagger. Enemies would know that this meant business.

[staggering Note: 1d20+6

Roll result: 15

If hit: 5 damage]

In the best case scenario, the guard would be so startled by her Staggering Note that he would retreat to the side and fall off the cliff.

Still seething with rage, Bachydios the Baleful fidgeted and look around restlessly, waiting impatiently for the ITB again. As he did so, he looked at Col again.

She raises her Greatbow again, readied two fletches, loaded one and fired it. He watched as it sailed through the air… and missed Alex the Dirty Mage. He snorted with laughter, but quietened immediately to watch her let loose her second shot. Which missed as well.

Bachydios doubled over in loud laughter, alternatively pointing at her and slapping his knees.

Twin Strike on Mage
rolling 1d20 + 8
(1)+8
= 9 (MISS)

rolling 1d20 + 8
(7)+8
= 15 (MISS)

After one guard was killed by an Eldritch Blast and the second Guard was knocked off the bridge, only the Berserkers and Alex the Mage remained. All three of them quickly stood up and Alex used his action point for a second move action, shifting away from Aramachus in order to safely cast his Thunder Burst on the party left behind. Korrelia, Dayereth and Col were in range of the spell and all three got hit by it. All of them took damage and were dazed until ended by a saving throw.

Alex was brought to within an inch of his life after triggering the sanction placed on him by Aramachus, but he was pleased with the damage he had done.

The first Berserker struck Aramachus with his Greataxe, but he swung and he missed, while the second one threw a handaxe at the Paladin, successfully hitting him for a decent amount of damage.

[Rolls for Thunder Burst in order mentioned in the RP: 12 / 20 / 25 and 8 damage. All three are dazed until a save ends.
Greataxe Berserker roll was 17, miss.
Handaxe roll was 23, 5 damage.]

"OH? SO YOU'RE NOT DEAD YET! EAT MY MAGIC! RUKH OF THE DARKNESS, HEED MY CALL! WINGED HORDE!" Bachydios spat as his ITB shone in readiness. His orb glowed again, red this time as his racial feature, Bloodhunt, activated after sensing the Mage's bloodied state.

With the screeching of bats, the psychic Arcana exploded in the area in a swarm of small, winged forms.

Standard: Winged Horde (Effect: Targets cannot take OA until end of my next turn.)
HM:
rolling 1d20+6
(19)+6
= 25

HB
rolling 1d20+5
(11)+5
= 16

Damage
rolling 1d6
(4)
= 4

"Great job, 'lia!" Dayereth complimented his teammate as she knocked one of the guards off the bridge while his own target crumpled under the force of his magic. "Look, I killed one too!"

So focused was he on the female bard that he didn't notice the angry streaks of lightning flying their way, striking them and leaving Dayereth singed and confused. He fell to his knees, trying to catch the breath that felt like it had been knocked out of him as his vision swum.

I hate this. Getting hurt. Why can't they just roll over and die? Please? he wondered, gritting his teeth in frustration. As the heavy throbbing eased and he could feel his fingers again, Dayereth surged to his feet, brandishing his wand like a sword.

"You filthy maggots! I'm going to make sure you regret the day some perverted programmer ever brought your dirty pixels into existence! Eldritch Blast!"

Eldritch Blast on Right HB

Roll(1d20)+5:

10,+5

Total:15

Damage

Roll(1d10)+4:

4,+4

Total:8

Save Roll

Roll(1d20)+0:

14,+0

Total:14

Aramachus gritted his teeth as the Mage escaped his reach and blasted his allies with another spell. All but Bachydios were getting down towards half HP, rather dangerously. "Have a care my friends! I have not had to watch someone die the permanent DMO death, and I will not be doing so today!" Thankfully, the Mage was taken down by Bachydios, which cleared up a large danger.

"O great Torm, lend me your aid!" Aramachus shouted, drawing on the power of his deity. "Cure Korellia of her ailment!"

[Divine Mettle

HH's saving throw: 1d20+4

Result: 7]

"Now let us smite our foes!" Aramachus then brought his thirsty blade crashing down onto the berserker adjacent to him.

[Ardent Strike:1d20+10: 26 [1d20=16]
Damage: 1d8+5: 10 [1d8=5]]

However, he paid mind to his duty as protector. After delivering his attack, he ran back along the bridge to Korellia, the most direly wounded, and positioned himself in front of her. "Stay behind me, I shall not let you fall."

"Thanks, Aramachus," Korrelia smiled, feeling protected. "I'll try not to be useless."

And try she did, throwing her dagger at the nearer Berserker with as steady a hand as possible despite being Dazed.

[Ranged Basic Attack: 1d20 + 4

Roll result: 14

If hit: 2 damage]

She ran backward 5 steps next, not wanting to be even more of a burden.

[get out of Dazed condition: 1d20

Roll result: 9]

Bachydios found himself watching Col take her turn again. She raised her Greatbow unsteadily, obviously due to the Dazed condition. The loading of arrows, however, was truly swift. She had loosed both arrows before Bachydios could blink.

Standard: Two-Fanged Strike
1st Attack:
rolling 1d20+6
(1)+6
= 7

2nd Attack:
rolling 1d20+6
(15)+6
= 21

Damage
rolling 1d12+7
(4)+7
= 11

Saving throw:
rolling 1d20
(4)
= 4

The first Berserker, the Bloodied one, rushed at Aramachus, who was blocking his path, and was able to activate his Battle Fury thanks to all the damage he had taken. He swung his greataxe and managed to connect to Aramachus, but when the second Berserker approached and tried to melee the Paladin normally, he missed.

[bloodied Berserker: 27 for Attack, 13 for Damage.

Second Berserker: 16 for Attack]

Dayereth grinned as his spell made contact, resisting the urge to dance in place. The stubborn, little shit still refused to go down, engaging the man mountain in combat once more.

"Hey, you!" he called out, safely tucked away behind his teammates, "The show is long over, so why don't you leave already? An audience that overstays is never welcome. But here's a token of my regard for you!"

Focusing on his spell-casting once more, Dayereth sent yet another shot toward the berserker. "And stay down!"

Warlock's Curse on Right HB
Eldritch Blast on Right HB
Roll(1d20)+5:
14,+5
Total:19

Damage
Roll(1d10)+4:
10,+4
Total:14

Roll(1d6)+0:
5,+0
Total:5