Seanzilla

(B) Episode Two: One Ring To Rule Nothing At All

152 posts in this topic

Quickly, Dayereth Fey Stepped away, trying to escape the guards still after his blood. He cast two spells at one of them, but in his haste, both missed.

 

Eldritch Blast on Lower HG
Roll(1d20)+5:
5,+5
Total:10 (vs. Reflex)

 

Spend AP Point

Eldritch Blast on Lower HG
Roll(1d20)+5:
7,+5
Total:12 (vs. Reflex)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Col was next to move. She used Twin Strike on the injured Guard, but missed with both unfortunately. Then she repositioned herself in front of Korrelia and redesigned Johnny with Hunter's Quarry. She then spent an Action Point, triggering Action Surge, and fired at the Solo this time. She landed both hits, healing her from Korrelia's Stirring Shout.

Bachydio moved next.

"TAKE THAT!"

He spent an Action Point and used two Thunderwaves. Both missed.

Twin Strike against HG

1st Attack Roll:

rolling 1d20+6

(8)+6

= 14

2nd Attack Roll:

rolling 1d20+6

(8)+6

= 14

Action Point. HQ on Johnny Lee.

Twin Strike on JL

1st Attack Roll

rolling 1d20+9

(16)+9

= 25

Damage Roll:

rolling 1d12+1

(6)+1

= 7

2nd Attack Roll

rolling 1d20+9

(10)+9

= 19

Damage Roll:

rolling 1d12+1

(10)+1

= 11

Hunter's Quarry Damage Roll:

rolling 1d6

(6)

= 6

Bachydios's Thunderwave:

Attack Roll:

rolling 1d20+6

(5)+6

= 11

Spend Action Point.

2nd Thunderwave

Attack Roll:

rolling 1d20+6

(11)+6

= 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aramachus was rather devastated as the enemies ignored his presence and his taunts, heading instead for his allies. He struck Johnny with his blade as he passed by, but the boss just kept going regardless. His Fan of Knives devastated the rest of the grouped up party, aside from Bachydios, who managed to raise a shield in time to block it.

 

In this game of death, with life on the line, Aramachus stood unscathed while his allies were inches from death across the battlefield. He felt a pang of anxiety. The damage had been dealt so suddenly, and his own presence had been no obstacle. He felt like he could be watching the others die in front of him just as suddenly now. One wrong move would be disaster. He never asked for this. When he signed up he just wanted to play a fun game. Now he had lives resting on his shoulders as a Defender, and was in danger of failing horribly. The pressure was palpable.

 

Fortunately, Korellia was able to deal out some healing, easing the concerns slightly. Aramachus needed to focus on getting into the action and demanding attention.

 

Bachydios tried to push Johnny toward him, but failed despite his exertions. Aramachus cast caution aside and ran forward, forgoing his defences this time. His blade sang as he slashed Johnny with it, and he once again taunted. "I though we were sent to exterminate bandits! I see now you mewling cowards earn that title solely through attacking women, children, and the elderly!" He tried to strike a second time with a blow designed to cripple the enemy, but his swing missed.

 

 

[used Run]

 

[Valorous Smite Hit: 1d20+10: 29 [1d20=19]

Damage: 2d8+5: 19 [2d8=8, 6]]

 

[used 1 AP]

 

[Enfeebling Strike Hit: 1d20+10: 17 [1d20=7]
Damage: 1d8+5: 8 [1d8=3]]

 

 

 

 

 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bandits were just as wounded as the adventurers, but now wasn’t the time to stop. The previously slowed Guard had finally gotten rid of the Wizard’s debuff and quickly approached the Warlock. He swing and managed to hit, but only dealt the absolute minimum amount of damage.

The second Guard approached the Paladin to gain combat advantage on him, but when he tried to attack he swing his halberd in the complete opposite direction. He was sure to get annoyed over this critical blunder later.

Meanwhile Johnny took the time to get serious. He shifted sideways to ensure that everyone was in range before emanating his Fearsome Aura; effectively stunning Aramachus, Col and Bachydios.
 

[Guard rolled 20 for Attack and 4 for Damage vs Dayereth.
Guard rolled 13 for Attack vs Aramachus
Johnny rolled  for Fearsoma Aura vs Will again Aramachus, Korrelia, Col, Dayereth, Bachydios: 22, 15, 18, 7, 20.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Should have run the other way," Dayereth muttered to himself as he found himself getting fenced in by the menacing guard. He quickly shifted back into the corner and threw a spell in the bandit lord's direction.

 

"Why don't you go to sleep already?" he shouted across the room as the Curse of Dark Dream flew toward the enemy before drawing his sword. He needed to do *something* to hold off this murderous fellow, after all.

 

Shift right

 

Curse of Dark Dream on JL
Roll(1d20)+5:
6,+5
Total:11 (vs. Wil)

Damage
Roll(3d10)+4:
6+9+9,+4
Total: 28
(Half Damage if missed)

 

Minor action: Switch weapon to Longsword (?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Not so fast, you brute!" exclaimed Korrelia uncontrollably, erecting a Bastion of Mental Clarity to shield her allies against the Fearsome Aura. The Bastion of Mental Clarity was a psychic barrier that protected the mind against attacks that attempted to manipulate the emotions of others, something Johnny Lee did not seem to shy away from doing. However, the Aura was too strong, and she could not help everyone, even with the aid of Aramachus' bonus. She could only save Bachydios and Col.

 

"Bachydios, Col, it's all up to you now!" she murmured.

 

[bastion of Mental Clarity; +4 Will to allies in Close Burst 5 until end of next turn]

[Virtue of Prescience + Extended Prescience; +2 to defensive stat to Col, lasts until end of Col's next turn]

 

She followed it up with a Staggering Note, playing an intensely high note on her flute hoping to move Johnny diagonally upper left.

 

[staggering Note: 1d20+6

Roll result: 11

 

If hit: 5 damage]

 

"Dayereth, do you need help over there?"

 

Contented that she had done her best in this area, she moved 5 steps upward to beside Dayereth, where he was duking it out with the Guard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"GWAAAARGH! TRY HARDER, FOOL!"
 
Honestly, at this point, it wasn't at all clear whether he was referring to Johnny or himself. Bachydio Shifted to reposition himself out of what is likely another wave of knives and pulsed another Thunderwave at the group. 
 
Disastrously, it missed both the Guard and Johnny, but hit Amarachus. Roaring with frustration, Bachydios activated his Orb of Imposition to penalize Johnny's saving throws against Dayereth's Curse by 4.

Thunderwave
Attack Roll on JL:
rolling 1d20+6
(6)+6
= 12

Attack Roll on HG:
rolling 1d20+6
(5)+6
= 11

Attack Roll on DD:
rolling 1d20+5
(10)+5
= 15

Damage Roll:
rolling 1d6+5
(4)+5
= 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aramachus was pushed aside by the wayward attack of his ally. Stunned from Johnny's effect, he could do nothing at all this turn. Once his turn ended though, he was able to snap out of it.

 

[saving throw: 1d20: 14 [1d20=14]]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Judging at the miss-rate against Johnny, Bachydio decided that they needed to reduce the incoming damage first. He roared at Col, "Slay the lame Guard first!!"
 
She seemed startled, but marked the Guard with Hunter's Quarry and loosed 2 arrows with Twin Strike. The first missed, but the second found its mark.

HQ on Bloodied Guard

 

Twin Strike on Bloodied Guard
1st Attack Roll:
rolling 1d20+6
(8)+6
= 14

2nd Attack Roll:
rolling 1d20+6
(14)+6
= 20

Damage Roll:
rolling 1d12+1
(5)+1
= 6

Hunter's Quarry Damage Roll:
rolling 1d6
(4)
= 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost out of life and one of his allies dead Johnny decided that if he had to go he would at least take one of them with him. He moved next to Bachydios and unleashed his Furious Strikes on him. His first and second attacks both connected, but the finishing move missed.

The last living Guard moved next to Dayereth and hit him with his weapon, but only dealt the minimum amount of damage.

[Furious Strikes rolls were 23, 20 and 15. Damage was 9 and 9.
Guard rolled 18 for Attack and 4 for Damage.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dayereth blinked in surprise as Korrelia suddenly appeared by his side, resisting the urge to hug her and provoke an attack from the Guard. After all, the brute would probably get jealous and attack them in a fit of murderous rage since he didn't seem to have any prospects, languishing at the side of rogues and perverts. Well, he'd have even less prospects when he was dead, and Dayereth couldn't wait for that to happen.

 

"Thanks for coming, 'lia! I'm sure I'll do much better with your support. But you should get away; you're hurt, and I'd hate for you to get even more hurt on my behalf. With you by my side, I can do anything~~~!"

 

To prove it, he teleported a few steps away as the other guard fell, then jabbed his sword at the guard who'd been trying to corner him. Or rather, who had cornered him just now, if it hadn't been for Col's timely actions. The blade glowed as magic imbued the metal, springing forth to smack into the hulking brute. Then, with a majestic wave of his hand, Dayereth slid the thieves' boss sideways.

 

Eldritch Blast on HG
Roll(1d20)+5:
15,+5
Total:20 (vs. Reflex)

Damage
Roll(1d10)+4:
7,+4
Total:11

Roll(1d6)+0:
4,+0
Total:4
(Total damage: 15)

 

Dark Dream effect: Shift JL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"YOOOWCH. YOU LITTLE PIECE OF DUNG! HAVE A TASTE OF MY FURY BLAAAAARGH!" Bachydios's furious shout ended in a breath of fire that scorched Johnny Lee. For the first time since he'd been stuck in this game, he was experiencing the alarm signals and the tint of red that came on and off. It was enough to make anyone panicky, but rage was still the overriding emotion.
 
"PREPARE TO BE SHOCKED," Bachydio boomed as he sent forth another pulse of thunder at the unbelievably resistant Solo. But it was Bachydios himself who was shocked when the 4th Thunderwave missed as well.
 
"BLOODY HAX," the Tiefling complained as he move nearer to Aramachus, taking care to give the Solo a wide berth.
 
"KORRELIA, HOLD YOUR POSITION AND MAINTAIN TOTAL DEFENSE. IF YOU MOVE DOWNWARDS, ANOTHER FAN OF KNIVES WILL HIT ALL 3 OF YOU," he instructed in that reverberating voice.


Infernal Wrath damage on Johnny:
rolling 1d6+5
(6)+5
= 11

Thunderwave on JL:
Attack Roll:
rolling 1d20+5
(13)+5
= 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aramachus reached out to Bachydios and healed him, while he was near. He then moved forward to attack Johnny with his Daily.

 

[Lay on Hands]

 

[Move]

 

[Majestic Halo

Hit: 1d20+10: 20 [1d20=10]

Damage: 3d8+5: 13 [3d8=5, 2, 1]]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Total Defense! Got it!" Korrelia screamed back. Then she turned to Dayereth. "What's Total Defense again?"

 

With some help, she found the option. It basically boosted her defences, something she was certainly keen on doing.

 

[Total Defense]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Col was certainly building up a steady amount of damage. She shot at Johnny again, a look of fierce determination on her face.

Twin Strike on JL

Attack Roll 1

rolling 1d20+6

(12)+6

= 18

Damage Roll:

rolling 1d12+1

(8)+1

= 9

Attack Roll 2:

rolling 1d20+6

(

11

)+6

= 17

Damage Roll:

rolling 1d12+1

(6)+1

= 7

Hunter's Guarry Damage:

rolling 1d6

(2)

= 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the previous round of battle the group succeeded in killing both Johnny and his lackey. After quickly examining the room and the body the adventurers found a ring, most likely the one Padraig and Valthrun were searching for, a Magic Orb+2 and a Wand of Witchfire+1.

 

[Everyone receives 200XP. Decide on next step. Requires 3 votes to change location.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They had done it. There was no doubt about it, Johnny lay dead on the floor. And someone had picked up something glittering. Was it, could it be... it was! It was the ring they had all set out to find! Korrelia crumpled on the ground, still in a state of disbelief that they had actually pulled through. She looked up at everyone appreciatively.

 

"It's thanks to all of you," she said. "All of you were great."

 

She would play a victory tune on her flute now, but she was worn out and breathless. They probably should take a rest before proceeding back to return the ring.

 

And then, maybe then, she would talk about her real purpose in joining this expedition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A rest was of course a given assurance, though Aramachus confessed himself not particularly worn. He set about making use of his Lay on Hands to heal his allies. It would heal them faster than they could themselves, and expend his own generous supply of healing surges rather than theirs. He used it once on Bachydios, and twice each on Dayereth and Korellia. He had regrettably lost count of the uses, but estimated he had at least 4 left thereafter.

 

"Bandits are without honour, and these in particular seemed rather fearless. I believe a new leader will arise among them if we leave them to their devices. I feel it a duty to search the rest of the keep and exterminate any remaining bandits." Aramachus said. "Moreover, there may be prisoners or a cache of stolen belongings that we can liberate while we have the upper hand."

 

Aramachus felt like wavering a bit. With their close call just now, helping NPCs didn't seem particularly important. However, he didn't suppose there'd be anything tougher than what they just faced, and he did wish to ensure all the bandits were eliminated, lest their quest not be considered fulfilled if they left any alive.

 

 

[-5 Healing Surges]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"BWAHAHAHA. And another one bites the dust!" Bachydios cheered happily as Johnny collapsed and exploded into a cloud of EXP a brief while later. He did a little victory dance on the spot, grinning gleefully. One might have imagined him unhinged by his close brush with death, so cheesy and amateurish the dance was.

"Newfound power!" He crowed as he claimed and equipped the Magic Orb+2.

"You folks were great. We made a couple of spectacular gaffes, but it all worked in the end! BWAHAHAHA!"

"Oh, yes. Let's clear out the rest of the chumps in here. If we don't find anything, we might as well rest here tonight and eat our Journeybread."

"I'll illuminate our surroundings."

[Vote for Aramachus' suggestion]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Korrelia felt a stab of panic when Aramachus and Bachydios both expressed a desire to continue exploring the Keep.

 

"I really do think we should sleep for the night, to recharge our Daily Powers," she pointed out. "And my Harp broke from my attack earlier. I'd like some time to fix it too before I can use it again. Whatever we decide to do, let's do it tomorrow, after a good night's rest."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I cannot argue with excessive caution." Aramachus shrugged, "We can take shifts on watch in case anyone comes looking for Johnny." he flipped through his inventory screen and produced his Bell and Whistle, "I could even set up a simple alarm system on one of the doors with this bell and some rope, while the whistle should allow the watcher to alert the whole room with ease should enemies approach."

 

While he himself was fairly confident they'd be okay now that the hardest part was over, he couldn't blame the others for being more apprehensive given how much of a beating they took. Especially given he felt that to be his fault largely, he was more than ready to defer to the others.

 

[Vote is now with Korellia's idea]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Ehhhh, the ants would have scurried away by then. But okaaaaaay. But I would like the first watch. We least likely to be attacked during early night and I have low range when it comes to Perception."

[Vote to rest too]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The group spent the night in the Keep without being disturbed. They all woke up refreshed, dailies, Healing Surges and Hit Points restored.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Alright, now let's clear out the keep!"

 

[switch Daily to Sleep]

[Vote to explore the rest of Silver Keep]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I agree with Bachy~~~" Dayereth declared, beginning to peer around the elaborate chamber. "We ought to gather up everything they've stolen and try to return them to their rightful owners!"

The operative word being "try." Not that he'd try very hard, but....

Arcana check for magically concealed items? xD

Roll(1d20)+11:

14,+11

Total:25

[Vote to explore the rest of Silver Keep]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online