Seanzilla

(B) Episode Two: One Ring To Rule Nothing At All

152 posts in this topic

"I suggest this time I enter any rooms we find first, and I will usher the rest of you in after I have briefly checked it. This way, if we meet enemies, I will be able to move ahead first before the rest of you enter the room." Aramachus suggested. "Better my armour get some work out than to end up in disarray like last time."

[vote to explore]

After exploring the keep the group concludes that they had taken out all of the present bandits. They didn’t find anything out of the ordinary in the keep, all of the riches the bandits had were on hand.

It was with a sigh of relief that Korrelia concluded that the Keep was indeed empty and they were out of danger.

"Now shall we leave?" she asked with a hint of impatience. "If I didn't know better I'd think you all wanted to stay in here." 

"Yup, let's head back and figure out who to give the ring to," Dayereth agreed cheerfully. "Which one was the one with the reward, again?"

"Both. However, the rightful owner, the town Lord, would offer less. I of course advocate we do the righteous thing and return the ring to the Lord, as well as inform him of the ill-intentioned offer from Valthrun." Aramachus said. "Either way, let us indeed head back now."

"Shouldn't we try to figure out why the other guy wants it? Maybe it'll give us a clue for the next quest or whatever," Dayereth protested. "And we can still give it back to its owner if it turns out that's the better thing to do. I mean, do we even know anything about these guys, really? What if the lord is like Sauron, and giving him the ring locks us into the bad ending?"

"Lord Padraig is well-liked by the townsfolk, he seems a good enough man." Aramachus shrugged, "Whilst Valthrun was skulking about trying to quietly acquire the ring, which he knows belongs to Lord Padraig. If anyone is secretly an evil necromancer, surely it is the deceptive wizard. Valthrun even has his own tower, in the town..." Aramachus concluded, noting more and more similarities Valthrun bore to Sauron. "I propose we go to Lord Padraig honestly, then request he lend us the ring, that we might conduct a sting to see what Valthrun's true motives are. In exchange, we could ask that we be allowed to keep the gold Valthrun offers us. This way, we profit doubly while serving law and order openly."

"Point taken," Dayereth conceded. "Given how unoriginal and horribly designed this game is, I wouldn't be surprised if it were a Lord of the Rings ripoff. If we end up having to throw this thing into a volcano, I'm out."

Besides, double the profit sounds nice.

1 person likes this

Bachydios snorted impatiently before saying,"Politics is so bothersome. I'm all for Aramachus' suggestion. Best not to incur the ill-will of the Lord of the town where we might be staying for quite a while still. Let us be on our way nonetheless so that we can put the walk into the talk."

For emphasis, he spat a bit and grinned at the lick of flames that emerged from his mouth. Being a fire-breathing Tiefling sure was entertaining.

[Vote to return to town]

After  finishing up their business in the Silver Keep the adventures crossed the bridge back to the mainland and were met by the shady teleporter. “Congratulations! I see you have all your limbs still attached, surely that is a cause for celebration if there ever was one.†With a flick of his wrist a magic circle appeared in front of the party. “Sadly this will be the last time we’ll meet for a while. I wish you godspeed.â€

The party stepped into the circle and was teleported back to the town, but as was promised by the teleporter he was nowhere in sight. Aramachus noted that when he met the teleporter in front of the Mines he had claimed that he was not the same as the one in Winterhaven.

"Okay, okay. Let's hurry and get the ring to Padraig like Aramachus said. Then we can go get Valthrun. What's so important about the ring anyway?"

Korrelia followed her companions silently. She had not known everybody for a long time, but with all the adventures they had had these few days, she was ready to trust them with her secrets, and even her life. While they took the uneventful route towards Padraig, she took a deep breath. It was always so hard to start!

"You know, guys," she mumbled, not even sure if any of them could hear it, "but see, I'm not really actually an MMO player. I came here specifically to find a person. Do you guys know of anyone named Shawnzeala? It's his username in this game, I believe. I really really want to locate him."

Surely... after so long... someone would answer in the affirmative?

"You're not a player?" Dayereth asked, tilting his head in obvious puzzlement. "So you're... what? A NPC? Are you here to give us our next quest? We're supposed to look for someone else?"

"Ey, you mean Shawnzeala the It'Sumo Warrior? The shut-in who did nothing but gym and play DMO all day back when this was a game? What, is he your boyfriend or something? Wait, in the first place, he's real?!" Bachydio cocked his head to a side as he looked at Korrelia inquiringly.

"Anyway, let's go hand the ring over to Padraig already and ask if he can lend it to us for the sting operation against Valthrun," I'm itching to start the new quest already.

[Hands the Signet Ring to Padraig]

After Bachydios handed over the ring a pop up appeared in front of all the members of the group:

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: “One Ring to Rule Nothing At All†Completed!
Reward: “<NAME> the Bandit Whisperer†Title Unlocked.

Col even got a second pop up.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: “Johnny Who?â€
Deal the final blow to Johnny Lee during the One Ring to Rule Nothing At All’s Final Bossfight.
Reward: Vanity item; Black thick rimmed glasses.

“Thank you for your help, friends.†Padraig said as he reached for his coin pouch. “As promised, your just rewards.†He pulled out 170 gold and shoved it along the table in Bachydios’s direction. “This reminds me, I was told to send you to the city of Avalon to the east. A man known as the Guildmaster would like to have a word with you.â€

[Group receives 270XP and 170 gold for completing the quest. Received the quest “Guildmaster?â€]

"Haaaaaang on, did you know that Valthrun was vying for the Signet Ring as well? If you want, we could do something about him."

"And while you're at it, maybe you could fill in the flavor and tell us why's the title Bandit Whisperer?"

[Current EXP: 560 + 270 = 830]

It had been a while before Korrelia could get back to Dayereth and answer his question.

"No, of course I'm a Player Character," she explained with a blush. "What I meant was that I'm not ordinarily an MMO player, and only joined the game to find a person, Shawnzeala, which explains my horrible skills in combat I suppose. And no, he's not my boyfriend either," she added with another blush. "I'm searching for him for another reason, which I shall only reveal in his presence."

"Why would Valthrun want the ring? It holds no worth other than its emotional one. Either way, thank you for pointing it out, I'll have a word with him." Padraig answered Bachydios' first question, but looked confused at the second one. "I have no idea what you are talking about. It is simply the title everyone here has using to referring to you for a while now."

"Well, there're two cities east of us, and we'll have to pass through the forest. We probably should stock up on stuff before we go. I'll go talk a couple of locals to see what I can learn. We'll stay in contact through the Party Chat. Cya!"

The Tiefling heads over to the Market Square first to look for Delphina Moongem the elf.

"Good day, Delphina! How are the flowers looking? Can I purchase a stalk from you?" Bachydios called out gaily as he neared her. 

"Also, I'm headed for Avalon in the east. Do you know anything about the forest I'll be passing through? Is the fauna poisonous? Are there any special herbs that I should look out for in there?" he inquired as he knelt down to look at some of the wildflowers.

“Of course, all of my flowers are one silver!†Delphina smiled. “If you want to head to Avalon you should check with one of the trader caravans. One of them should depart towards Avalon anytime soon. They’ll likely know a lot more about the forest than I do.â€

"I shall purchase 2 bouquets of 5 flowers each in that case. Have a good day, Delphina. I shall look for these traders now."

Bachydios next made his way to where the elf had said the traders' caravans were. He found them easily, and after a short conversations had ascertained that they were bound for Avalon indeed and would set off tomorrow. In addition, they sold level 2 Magical Items. 

He relayed the information to the team immediately, "Folks? Folks? Is this Chat working? Anyway, I've found our ride. There're a group of traders who are headed to Avalon starting tomorrow morning and they said we're more than welcome to hop along for a ride (for free!)."

"Also, if anyone of you are going to Valthrun, let me tag along! Maybe he'll be nice enough to let me copy a spell or ritual off him."

Since it seemed the group would expend some time in the town before moving on, and Aramachus had nothing in particular to attend to, he decided to wander the town looking for good deeds to do.

The next morning the group, along with several other groups of players, joined the caravan on the journey towards Avalon. The journey took at least a day and a half as they walked through a dense forest, but thanks to the guidance of the caravan they managed to avoid encountering dangers of any sort.

Eventually they arrived at a group of high bluffs that seemed to be connected by something unidentifiable from the ground. “We’re here,†the leader of the caravan exclaimed as he led everyone to a platform overseen by half a dozen guards. The leader told everyone to wait while he had an inaudible word with the guards. After a minute he signaled everyone to get on the platform as the guards stepped off.

“Your first time here, right?†The guard asked, directed at the group of adventurers. “I can always tell when someone is new here. Try not to fall off, cleaning the blood can be such a hassle.†Before anyone could ask what he meant the platform shot up into the air, carrying the entirety of the caravan. The members of the caravan laughed at the adventurers who were as proficient at keeping their balance as the others.

The platform stopped rising once it reached the height of the bluff it bordered and it quickly latched on to the surface of the bluff. The members of the caravan waved goodbye as they stepped off the platform and headed into a city several times the size of Winterhaven.

[switch Daily to Phantom Chasm]

"Alrighty! Let's go meet this guildmaster! Lemme see if our Objective Tracker's working…"

[Vote to proceed to Guildmaster]

It seemed nausea and vertigo were not programmed into this game, but Korrelia still felt her heart thumping quickly as she stepped off the platform into a large city. It was literally sprawling with structures and monuments. The city girl in her lit up.

"Oh yes, I'd like to meet this Guildmaster too," she said. "Maybe he can give us a tour around the city."

[yes proceed!]