Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pain

Of Swords and Dragons {Closed} [Need 1-2]

74 posts in this topic

Hey there! This is a role play currently between myself and Alisyn, which we're opening for one or two other people to join. Usually I only really start one-on-one role plays, but as this is set to be something of an epic fantasy adventure, I think the addition of others would make it more exciting! If you're interested, please read on.

:D

Now, I don't usually start role plays with huge predefined backgrounds and history, I just jump in, and I know people here are so clever and organised with their opening posts for threads like this. What I'm saying is, please don't be disappointed! It's sorta the bare threads right now, and I'm open to suggestions and ideas. in fact, I encourage it, as I'd like everyone involved to feel like they're a part of the creative process. 

Current Plot

Our story takes place in a fantasy land, currently unnamed, and starts in the city of Tartarus. The much loved and adored King of the realm has just been buried, and his son, who, by comparison, is despised and loathed, has taken his place on the throne. He rules ruthlessly, with an iron fist, and anyone who openly shows loyalty to the late King, his father, is executed for treason. Much of his rule follows the same pattern, any dissension or rule breaking is punished severely, often by death, and when a group of rebels gather together to try and bring him down, they are all caught and taken to the gallows. The King's barbaric tendencies cause his people to succumb and live in constant fear, now too afraid to protest openly.

Meanwhile, the King himself is advised that he must find a wife to give him an heir and keep the royal bloodline. Tired of the women who surround him at court, flirting and talking incessantly, the King sets his sights further, on the Elvish lands {also currently unnamed} on the border of his Kingdom. There Alatariel {my character} is one of the last of an ancient Elvish bloodline, living peacefully in the forests of her homeland, and governing the race of elves who live there. Once she hears of the King's intentions, she is not pleased, but is advised that the union could be helpful to their race. Their own numbers are dwindling, and with a half Elvish, half human King on the throne, once the current one passes, it could strengthen their race and expand their Kingdom. After all, who can match the power and grace of the elves?

Alatariel agrees to the wedding, having no idea of the man she is marrying, and once she arrives at Tartarus, is quite shocked by her future husband. He, on the other hand, is arrogant beyond measure, having never thought for a moment that she would refuse, or could do anything but fall passionately in love with him. They could be married within a week, and produce an heir within a year. However, Alatariel doesn't last a week. Sickened and disgusted by her betrothed's actions, she flees in the night, out into the lands of a country which is unknown to her. The King, upon finding her missing the next morning, immediately sends out search parties, and after the initial search proves fruitless, offers a reward for her return, alive.

And that is where our story starts. Alatariel is on the run, and meets Alisyn's character, who, I believe, is a male scholar, in a small town tavern. Given that this role play is fantasy, the possibilities for your character are endless. You could be a standard human, a wizard, witch, dwarf, goblin, elf etc etc, let your mind run wide!

i will post a mini character sheet at some point, with the very basics, as I'm not really a fan of profiles. You don't have to post one, but if you want to just chuck out your characters name, age and race, that would be great. And appearance too, if you'd like. Really, post as little or as much as you like.

That is, if anyone is interested.

:P

If you have any questions, just post here or PM me.

OH! And what I should mention, is that this role play will focus around Alatariel and the scholar running from the law, and trying to gather forces to overthrow the King. So yeah, typical good vs evil thing lol

Yay, Pain finally wrote the recruitment thread!

/yes, I'm a lazy scaredy-cat

Like she said, I'm playing a male scholar-adventurer. He comes from the far East in his insatiable search of knowledge, and unfortunately for him, gets roped into the drama.

He's a bit odd in the typical Western fantasy sense in that his "race" is a shapeshifting Oriental-style dragon, though he mainly remains in human form for the convenience of not being feared/persecuted/barred from the multitude of libraries that he has yet to explore. xDD

Despite his scholarly leanings, he can protect himself in a pinch. He has above-average magic skills, average martial/melee skills, and specialty armor/weapons that fuse into him when he becomes his dragon form. Which he rarely uses. Just mentioning it if it does show up so people don't get confused.

I haven't figured out the name or anything yet. xDD

I am interested(because OMG more Fantasy stuffs!!) but I need to see if I can find the inspiration to draft up a character concept else I will just be stumbling around dazed and confused. I may use a pre-existing character if I can figure out how he would work in such a situation, I usually don't play him by himself... but it could be interesting.

I was interested, I had been thinking i'd like to try a half-elf that becomes a dragon rider, but, I think with another character morphing into a dragon. It might be a bit samey for your RP, so i'll maybe reconsider, or let you guys go on without me.  :3

I can change my character if you'd like to do that. ^_^

I won't be heartbroken if I can't play a dragon shapeshifter, and like I said, he'd be a more Eastern-based character, but this is a Western fantasy roleplay. He can just be a normal scholar-bard thingy.

Well, just to see if you guys are okay with it, I was thinking I'd play a female elf druid, like shapeshifter sort, mostly a panther or big cat of some sort, possibly other shapes if the rp would call for it. The male character I was considering I've decided I can't possibly play him without his other half... he's not really a people person.

Only if it's not a big deal for you Alisyn, I don't want you to make alterations if its a key point to your character. 

I really don't mind. ^_^

Like I said, it's not a character that really fits the theme; I just wanted to shove him somewhere. I made him for a roleplay that flopped, but he was interesting to me, so I wanted to play with him a bit more. But I'll find a more appropriate place for him and stick with western fantasy for this, then. :3

My character will probably be human, then, unless great inspiration strikes me otherwise. xD

I sent you a skype contact request, Alisyn, so we could talk a bit easier, though i'm not sure which one is you... my skype ID is:  the-valentine, should come up as 'Adam'.

I could always join with a yet made character. A ninja/assassin/theif style character. Human or elven. Probably without powers or very minor ones, but maybe enchanted items. ^.^

Okay, I honestly wasn't expecting this much interest, and now I have a little dilemma on my hands.

>.<

I ideally wanted this to be a group of 3, 4 at a push, but 3 people have shown an interest and I hate saying no and letting people down.

:(

How about I say yes to you three and that's final?

Eww skype. I'm horrible with it. xD

Awww, it's another Adam. Maybe you can replace the one breaking my heart. -glomps-

It's because everyone loves you, Pain. I'm fine with closing it.

Name: Vael

Race: Ayr'dal (Desert Elf)

Reference Pic: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Sephy_dude/548742-bigthumbnail_zps1146215f.jpg

Appearance: Shares many of the same features as the rest of his kin - tan skin, tribal scarring of the face, blonde hair bleached by the sun and violet eyes. He is roughly average in height but built with strong, athletic muscle. He tends to dress in simple clothing, a white long-sleeved top and dark brown trousers, but wears a dark brown leather jerkin over the top, with a pair of sturdy boots.

Personality: Can be aggressive, confrontational, short-tempered and generally disagreeable. He enjoys the thrill of combat but he is also intelligent and despite his faults, he can be a useful companion to have on your side. Though he believes in the Gods of his people, and in the importance of self-reliance and personal strength, he still hates to see people become oppressed, and has a strong sense of justice.

Bio: Vael was brought up in the lands of his people, a great desert continent that they have existed on in tribal isolation for thousands of years. Until recently, they were unknown to other lands, but when they were discovered, the King sent slaver ships to capture a great number of his people. He was captured as a child and brought to the human Kingdom, where he and his people were considered second class citizens and slaves. When he was sixteen, he escaped his bondage and took to thievery. He saved up enough money and paid for his freedom. Though still considered a second-class citizen, he at least had his freedom. Wanting to return to his people, but being unable to, he settled to make a home for himself and became a hunter, travelling the wilds to hunt for game to eat and to live in isolation from human society so that he could remain in relative peace. Soon into the start of the story, he will discover the dragon egg that will mark his change in fate, which will lead to his meeting of the leader of his forest-cousins and his involvement in her cause. 

Abilities: Capable with bladed weapons and the bow and arrow, taught to him as a child. He has no understanding of magic at the start of his story, much like the rest of his kin, however, in fusing with his dragon he will gain a basic ability with it to give him a powerful set of skills.

Name: Arjen (Meaning 'Stone of Silver')

Race: Dragon
Personality: Unlike Vael, who can be impatient, Arjen is a patient, wise, young dragon. She can make mistakes, like anyone, but she is generally the more sound of the two in making the smartest decision. She is extremely protective of her rider, and it is one of the few things that causes her temper to flare. She has a biting wit, and carries a noble, authoritative tone to the way she speaks. 
Dragon Ref: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Sephy_dude/dragon-rider_zpsad7109ae.jpg

Val, I could eat your face, I totally was ganna use that exact photo. lol

So this means I'm going to look at you and think you're lady.

Gonna just copy Adam-Val's character thing.

Name: Claude Michaelides the Mad Bard

Race: Human

Reference Pic: No. xD

Appearance: Seems to be a harmless old man/musician. Has silver-gold hair (because he's naturally blond, but it's going white). Deep blue eyes. Dresses practically most of the time (cloth shirt, leggings, sandals) but will wear a white robe when he's performing. Despite his age, he's still fit and has a wiry strength that has kept him safe from the casual bandits he encounters, though he'll pay them off if they seem too much for him to handle.

Personality: Very inquisitive. Loves learning and can often be found in a library or chatting with other scholars. He's easygoing, but not a pushover. He's also a very compassionate, generous person who is always willing to help others... though he might have bitten off more than he can chew this time. :lol:

Bio: Claude doesn't speak much about his history, but there are rumors that the man is much more than he seems.

Abilities: His epithet is rather misleading, as he himself is not actually mad. But his music is capable of influencing people's emotions and, if he really wants to, driving them mad. The first time this happened, it was an accident, and he's since learned to control it, but not before his infamy spread. As such, he doesn't usually use his full name to avoid trouble. In addition to his harp, he travels with a heavy staff and is trained in using it for his protection.

Name: Sage

Race: Human

Reference Pic: So Damn Sexy *fans self*

Appearance: His skin is lightly tanned, his eyes gray the color of a thunder storm, brown-black hair it's hard to tell. He's slender with an outline of muscle but not bulky. He is six foot and some inches. Despite his 'priestly' capabilities he always wears black or other dark tones and pants, he doesn't care for the conventional 'mage' style robes. 

Personality: Sage is a dark individual with a personality to match it. He can be cruel and relentless, but he has a very black and white version of just and will easily kill without remorse. He is patient and observing, and can easily be two-faced if the situation deems it. He has no moral compass when it comes to manipulating or using people. The only really redeeming quality, if that's what it can be called, is that he is loyal through and through, one doesn't even have to be his 'friend' (if he has any) for him to be loyal to them, Sage merely has to make the decision that this person's cause is just and that he/she is honest and can be trusted. Unfortunately, he is only loyal up until the 'cause' or task is completed, then his loyalty can be debatable again.

Bio: Sage is a self proclaimed noble, that is to say he became such a powerful individual that people willingly followed him and allowed him to be their "lord" not a king of course, but he had his own pocket of land and his own estate to call his own. The previous King aided in Sage's rise to his status as he had come from a peasant background. Though Sage shows no lasting affection for the previous King he did have a certain respect for the man and now keeps his head down as the new King seems to thrive on violence and cruelty. Though he's made no outward response on his disliking of the current King, the thought has crossed his mind more than once and there are rumors of his unease. The only reason the King has not taken action against Sage is because of the rumors that suggest Sage performs disturbing experiments in his dungeons. 

Abilities: He is a white mage, some call him a priest though he expresses no religious values, if anything he is an atheist, but doesn't argue if someone insists on treating him like a priest. He also is skilled in wielding a halberd(cause screw staves) and knows how to fuse the two skills together. 

Well, I think I'm going to go with him, who was my first choice originally until Val stole my picture. 

Well, I'm in some RPs already, (Wish HH would post again) So I'll back down so it'll be just a group of 4 for you guys. 

Oooo, sexy people.

And okay shadow, if you're happy with that, then I'm happy.

^_^

I've been giving my character some more thought, namely her background, and I'll write up a sheet thingy soon, probably tomorrow.

Okay guys, I need names, mostly for the main 'human' land, the Elvish land Alatariel comes from, and maybe the desert land too.

Also, apparently I'm slow with this, despite only posting it five days ago, so I'll warn you that I seem to be hella busy right now, and this might not start for a little while. At least, I probably won't be able to - you guys are more than welcome to start it, I really don't mind. 

Nah you should definitely start it. You know what you're doing with the world and whatnot, its your RP. I was just poking you to make sure you were okay, and that we were still going ahead, etc. As for names for things. Are you asking for a name for the desert land as in my characters? Uhm, just call it Ayr - cus I said the elves were called Desert Elves or 'Ayr'dal' so maybe just 'Desert' would make sense. Like Ayr'dal is like saying 'people of the desert', or some such. As for the Elvish land, and the main human land, i'm not sure. Something flowy for the elves, something strong and solid for the humans. Beyond that I dont know.

Ieradel, Loskir, Domirian, Solorius

And if you don't like any of these you can always google fantasy place/country/town names, there's even generators out there to help you. I just threw these off the top of my head.

Ayr works for the desert people, and Ero, thank you for the suggestion of generators. I think Domirian could be good for the main 'human' kingdom in which the King resides, as it reminds me of 'dominate' which our lovely ruler loves to do.

I'll have a little look for a name for the Elvish lands.

Anyway, here is my character sheet {finally}

Name: Alatariel Elladan

Race: Elven

Appearance: So far, this image is the best I've found so far. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0