Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ack!

Card Games

40 posts in this topic

I think there was a thread about this, but I can't remember.

For anybody that knows me at all just a little tiny bit knows that I've been totally and utterly into the Pokemon TCG for the past two and a half years. On top of that, Digimon Fusion CCG came out, technically, this past weekend, and it's total baller. I've also kinda dabbled in Magic and Kaijudo.

Which TCGs do you play? What decks are you currently running? Are you casual or competitive? Do you go to tournaments? Do you play online? TELL ME.

I used to play Pokemon TCG on and off until 2 years ago when I started on Magic: the Gathering. I mostly run control decks or UW humans. I try to build competitive decks but don't play in tournaments. I only go to the Prereleases; although I'm making an exception with Grand Prix Paris next month.

I also played Yu-Gi-Oh for 3-4 years. Still trying to find a buyer for my old cards. Pot of Greed, anyone?

But I'm not letting go of my Pokemon cards. EVER. I'm proud of my Platinum Arceus mini-collection (kept buying the set until I finally got the Normal type one last) and my greatest regret is being 1 card short of the LEGENDS collection (still missing the bottom half of Kyogre/Groudon LEGEND). I think my favorite art ever in Pokemon is the PRIME series from HGSS. Those extreme close-ups are awesome.

I don't play online cuz there are better games online you can play. =/

Pokemon kind of took a nose dive after HGSS rotated out, if you ask me. But now with the new rule changes and a nerf to a totally over powered card (Pokemon Catcher aka Gust of Wind), the game is really opening back up. I did love the look of the Legend cards, but only got Ho-oh complete, I think. I have collected most of the Arceus cards as well! I'm just missing one Level X. My collection officially starts at the first BW set, though. I have most of the cards from each set after that.

Have you seen any of the new EXs? Some of them are really pretty. Some are better than the Primes. The first XY set is coming out in a couple of weeks, and I pulled one of these guys from my judging loot:

146-xerneas-ex.jpg

soooo pretttyyyy. Can't wait to play fairies. :D I'm currently playing Empoleon, but will be switching to Fairies decks and trying some other decks with some of the cards that are coming out in XY.

I want to try to play competitively, but I never like competitive decks... It's all about damage in Pokemon most of the time. I like judging the game a lot more. Haha. But I will be going to Nationals (in Indianapolis) and Worlds (Washington DC) this year. So that will be fun!

Magic is just so complicated to me, but I did go to a prerelease for the first time when Theros came out. I did pretty decent I thought for having it being my first Magic event. I went 2-2, and I had no idea how to construct a deck at all. P legit. Haha.

Omg, Pokemon's full-body art is gold. One good thing about Pokemon is their foil-ing is waaaay better than Magic's. The thumb-print texture just feel awesome to the touch.

What kind of judging loot do judges get in Pokemon? I don't see anything that distinguishes that Xerneas from any Xerneas you might open in a booster pack. You get special cards or something for judging, don't you? Do they at least subsidize you to travel to the Nationals and Worlds?

Just checked some of the art for XY. It looks a lot like the Primes! The Kanto starters are way overdone though. I have like 5 different versions of them already. Dang, if I had known earlier, I might have signed up for the prerelease.

2-2 is quite decent indeed. I didn't even win one match in my first prerelease.

Well, when I judge, I get "paid" in packs.. So you're right, it's nothing special. The only thing special we get is the promo for the set is stamped with "Staff" on it, making it more desirable for collectors.

And I'll be playing at Nationals and just observing at Worlds. I've only been judging for about a year now and not experienced enough to judge either of those events... Maybe in a few more years I could be invited to do it.

There's one more weekend of prereleases here in the states. Maybe you can still make it to one in your country?!

I used to play Yu-Gi-Oh. Pretty pissed that they banned staple cards like Monster Reborn and Heavy Storm. Haven't played properly in a long time now. 

I've picked up Magic Recently. 

Pokemon never bans cards.. For the most part. They errata some cards, like they did with Pokemon Catcher. I guess banning cards is good and bad for the game... Good because it can make the game healthier... Bad because you never know when a card will be worth nothing.

I do want to like Magic more. I do. :( I really liked the idea of Theros, and I was thinking about going to a Born of the Gods prerelease... But I dunno if I'll have time to go to one. I think I'd be interested in a blue deck if I were to try to play. Zien made me a bird deck that was starting to turn into a white/blue deck, using a lot of cards from 2014 and some older cards.

Started playing Yu-Gi-Oh only cuz of the anime series. Yeah, I remember the Monster Reborn and Heavy Storm banning! We had to resort to Shallow Burial, Call of the Haunted or something, I think?

I believe Pokemon doesn't ban cards cuz all of them rotate out at some point; there's only one format that's officially recognized, right? Magic bans them cuz they ruin the older formats. I didn't play YGO long enough to know if that's the same reason for the banning.

Born of the Gods prerelease is this weekend, so if I had time I'd probably go to that instead of XY prerelease. What an unfortunate coincidence. =p

I've heard of UW Skies, but haven't actually played against one in Standard yet. What decks do you play, Kyo?

I've not long picked up Magic so I'm experimenting with a few decks using a friend's cards. He has a lot of different decks. So far I mostly enjoy using this goblin red deck that he helped me build. Seems to be pretty effective. I've only been playing with a few friends and stuff though. Once I get a better handle on my finances I'll treat myself to a few decks and see how things go. 

As a kid I used to collect Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon cards but once I hit 11, I got rid of them all out of angst of some sort I can't even remember. I even got rid of that totally badass arm thing that they used in Yu-Gi-Oh at the time.
HcHhuRf.jpg?1

This fuckin' thing.

But it wasn't until...like, December of 2012 that I was persuaded to give MTG a shot. And, to be honest, I do enjoy it very much now. I have several EDH decks I've made as of now that I enjoy playing and apparently from what I've been told, I have a serious gift for making decks that are professional grade without ever looking the deck up and just by reading the cards. But I've still got a few in the making. Currently useable with their own theme songs because I play with Zion's brother Skye Sharpe and our friends and when we play EDH we have like, this silly beach music playing from FFXIV until one of our generals comes out. THEN IT'S ON. But allow me to enlighten you on the decks, just because I'm kinda excited now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X39HV_s0RdI

First is the Gravelord Deck. This is apparently comparable to a professional deck. But the simple theme is Zombies that, with the help of my general Mikaeus the Unhollowed, refuse to stay down. It's a hate magnet but it's fun to play, because I make so many jombies~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlGXdcGlt6s

Second is the Night Parade of 100 Yokai. This is my Spirits deck which is run by Karador, Ghost Chieftain. They deck is super fun because of it being all Kamigawa and themed like a Japanese folklore. The synergy is hilarious at times and I love playing with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8shfZfbii4

Third and final that is playable currently is the Shin Megami Tensei Chaos Alignment deck with Malfegor as the mascot for Lucifer. This isn't Loki randomness Chaos. This is survival of the fittest Chaos, where giant creatures blast through my enemies and through traitorous actions, I pull my enemies to my side as sacrifice to the Lord of Darkness himself.

I have several other decks in the making, Shin Megami Tensei being a large theme in three more of them. One being the Law Alignment, one the Neutral Alignment, and the other based on Persona 4 and making things face their Shadows by having creatures that copy creatures and illusions and stuff. But yeah, I'm not really a nerd for the game, I'm a nerd for games I love that I seem to have an easy time paying homage to in a different format which, in itself, is pretty nice. Sorry for the lengthy post.

As a kid I used to collect Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon cards but once I hit 11, I got rid of them all out of angst of some sort I can't even remember. I even got rid of that totally badass arm thing that they used in Yu-Gi-Oh at the time.

HcHhuRf.jpg?1

This fuckin' thing.

WTF, I've never ever seen anyone with one of those things before, but lord knows I've dreamt of having one when I was younger.

Sounds like Kyo's playing casual Modern. I once tried goblins in Standard during the Innistrad-Return to Ravnica block! Love the way they swarm. 

Man, I envy people with EDH decks. I have a Bruna one myself, but it's underpowered cuz it only has cards from Innistrad onwards. Oh, and the Commander 2013 decks.

Amanda I also have a blue/white flying deck! It's not really exclusive to birds (though it is loaded with Squadron Hawks). I'm also going to be building a green deck, but there are so many cool green--oh, I'm talking about Magic, by the way, sorry!--there are so many cool things in green cards. Trample and deathtouch and infect... I just can't decide.. And incorporating all of that into one deck is kind of a clusterfuck. I was trying to build a trample deck, in the end, but the cost of all the cards... Idk. I can't come up with a good green deck yet. My blue/white flying deck though, p great. If you do branch out of birds, look up Pride of the Clouds. It is an absolutely amazing blue/white flying card (I run a lot of counter-adding enchantments)

I'm not sure how vast your collections are, but if anyone would be interested in doing a card-swap sorta deal with Magic Cards that would be pretty sweet. :) 

I play MTG pretty much exclusively anymore. I used to play Yu-gi-oh, but then everyone around me stopped playing it, so I ended up selling all my cards. I've always wanted to try out the Digimon TCGs, but none of the shops around here carried the original run, so I have no clue if they will bother with the new cards. I might have to buy them online or something.

At any rate. As far as MTG goes, I usually run R/G Steamroller decks, R/B Demon/Ogre Handmaiming, or straight Green Elven Stampeding.

This is my EDH deck. http://www.mtgdeckbuilder.net/Decks/ViewDeck/edh-deck-298325

It got me to 5th place in a local shop tournament, about four or five years ago. Someone told me recently that it's not fully legal anymore, which sucks, because at the time I built it, it was. So, I'm going to have to figure out how to get it back to legal play status. Regardless, it's still a good deck.

Oh. And speaking of R/B Demon/Ogre Handmaiming...http://www.mtgdeckbuilder.net/Decks/ViewDeck/despairdemise-298281

Enjoy that one too. :D

I've played most card games, from Duel Masters to Yu Gi Oh to Magic. When I was younger I spent a whole lot of money on Duel Masters, and I built a couple of pretty strong decks that can even stand up against the overpowered Japanese cards they're printing nowadays. It's a pity not many people play Duel Masters though.

For Yu Gi Oh most of my playing was done on a GBA game, so I don't own that many cards. On the other hand I recently bought a bunch of Machine cards like Cyber Twin Dragon and Chimeratech Overdragon, so I have a decent working deck nowadays.

When I shifted to Magic I enjoyed it a lot, since it was basically an advanced version of Duel Masters. I didn't spend as much money on it though, because I'm trying to be more thrifty nowadays, so I make do with what I have. My current main deck is a RBU control deck with Young Pyromancer and plenty of instants. It was built pre-Theros but I haven't really updated it yet.

Hm well, I started my TCG experience with Duel Masters, after watching the anime. The English dubs of Duel Masters are just hilarious, by the way. I love them. With some shame. But yeah so my friend's brother made me my first Duel Masters deck out of all the cards he didn't want (:/) but it was faring pretty well actually. Could stand its own in its tier. Then Octy made me another deck for my birthday and I ruined it the same day by spilling coke all over it. XD (Octy if you'd just drunk your coke it'd all have been alright)

Then I got into Magic cuz there was a booth for it during Anime Fest Asia 2012. And they gave out free cards and taught us how to play, and I had a Filipino friend then who loved it, and then Octy was pestering me to get the Blue cards for him, so there was a lot of social encouragement there. XD I've got a few decent decks in Magic, thanks to Ether allowing me to tap into his bountiful supply of cards (seriously, stop buying tissue boxes already XD). For myself, most of my expenditure is on intro packs. I can't help it. Intro packs suck, but I just keep on buying them for no reason.

Oh and I play Magic online on Octgn with DayDay. <3 Octgn has every card imaginable so we can play with whatever we want. I dabble in every colour, pretty much, for Constructed but for Draft I seem to gravitate towards Red/Green a lot.

EDIT: Oh and I also play Hearthstone online. Battle tag Harlequin #1458!

You can't beat a game of Uno, or Happy Families.

Wrong card games?

>.>

I collected Pokemon cards when I was about 11, which wasn't long after they came out, if I recall. That was back when there were only 150, and everyone thought Mew was the shit. I still have them, actually. It isn't a complete collection, but I have some shiny ones.

xD

I have thought about going on eBay or something, and buying the ones I'm missing, so I have all 150, but it would all depend on how expensive they are.

If we're on the subject of cool other card games. You guys should check out Fluxx. Amanda and Noel introduced it to me and it's so crazy fun. 

2 people like this

Yeah I play Magic with HH. I prefer to play with physical cards but nobody I know plays any such games. Hearthstone is the first digital one that actually feels as satisfying to play as a physical card game. That said, I'm sure other card games would try harder to make a better online interface if they didn't have physical counterparts as well.

As far as this drifting subject of other games involving cards. I play Cards Against Humanity with friends a fair bit, loads of fun.

I have thought about going on eBay or something, and buying the ones I'm missing, so I have all 150, but it would all depend on how expensive they are.

I think 1st ed Charizard is still expensive. You have people asking from USD125 to USD6000 for it. The rest not so much. Just checked cuz i was curious too. Damn, I want a Surfing Pikachu. Itching to pull the trigger on Ancient Mew too. >.<

I've heard of Fluxx too! Been looking for it. I should get the local board games store to order it for me.

Cards Against Humanity seems interesting, but I imagine you need a relatively homogenous group to get some of the humor? Another one I saw online selling like this was Two Booms and A Room.

I think Bang! is great fun.

Another card type game I play is called Gloom, which is all about making yourself miserable and the other players happy. It's pretty fuckin' hilarious. There's also Munchkin which is always worth a laugh.

Cards Against Humanity seems interesting, but I imagine you need a relatively homogenous group to get some of the humor?

Kinda. The thing is it works by people taking turns being the judge of which answers are funniest, so if you're playing the game, you're aiming to make the specific person who is the judge each round laugh. So even if people's humour differs, as long as the people know each other enough to guess at what each other will find funny, everyone can get some laughs at some point.

That said, there are quite a lot of cards specific to Americans - that is, you'll have no clue what the card is or how it may be funny unless you're American and know of it (or like our group, have a friend who knows enough trivia and such to be able to fill everyone in on what Geico is).

Another card type game I play is called Gloom, which is all about making yourself miserable and the other players happy. It's pretty fuckin' hilarious. There's also Munchkin which is always worth a laugh.

I've been looking at Gloom as well but couldn't decide whether it was worth it. The translucent cards look awesome though the reviews for it seem mixed.

Munchkin is legit. Yup. Had a game that nearly ran two hours cuz the mechanics are so flexible (read: abusable).

Ahhhh yes, Munchkin. How many different genres does that game cover now? I like that you can combine all of them, though I think it requires a supplement called Munchkin Blender.

Cards Against Humanity is great fun, so long as no one is easily offended. It can get pretty wrong.

I also like Apples to Apples, which is the family friendly version of CAH. Well...friendlier, anyway. XD

Dominion is another fun game, but it's more politics and commerce related. Oh! And SPANC! Space Pirate Amazon Ninja Catgirls. XD 

I don't really care for Munchkin myself.

I love Cards Against Humanity (I'm hard to offend). I've played Chrononaughts with my friends in the past and I really like that game. It's a little difficult to grasp the concept at first but once it clicks it's a lot of fun to play imo. We also played Taboo a few weeks ago (and I've played it a few times before that) and that's a lot of fun, too.