Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HerculeHastings

World of Darkness: The Way Forward

10 posts in this topic

Haha this sounds like the name of a chronicle but no, it is as the title suggests, a review of WoD. ^^

So the ending of Through The Ebon Gate was a bit of a flop, but DayDay will go around dispensing EXP to all participants soon. This EXP will be taken to be in your User Bank Account for WoD. This means that you can spend it on all your WoD characters simultaneously. In future chronicles, we may do Geist again, or any other expansion, and as long as the character belongs to you, you can start him off with the EXP in your User Bank Account. Never have to start from scratch ever again!

So these are some points that DayDay and I have learnt from ST-ing. Considering we've never played a WoD campaign before, we've learnt a lot about WoD in general too. XD

• Combat is a bit tricky and also pretty monotonous. In addition, WoD powers don't actually make for very good combatants. It's possible that in my future campaigns, I'll leave outright boss battles to DnD and instead, you get to apply your powers individually to situations that see fit. You'll still get to attack people, but it'll be a one-off action and not an extended battle. Therefore Initiative, Defence and Physical powers are still important.
  • WoD has a lot of gritty realism and horror to it, which is really hard to play out on Skype. We intend to have WoD resemble roleplays more in the future. They will be like roleplays except there is a Game Master who has no character and plays all the NPCs. You still use dice rolls, but what is more important than dice rolls is writing out the scene and also adding more description of emotions etcetera, like a typical roleplay. However, there is still no minimum post length. This is also better for when we have differing schedules, like the All-Busy HH.

These are some improvements I may implement.

• Original storyline. I actually made a fairly great Hunter storyline (I think) which was pushed back in favour of the Geist guide. This was a good decision cuz it did let us see what WoD campaigns are usually like, and it will help me tailor my own storyline too. But in the future I'll probably use my own scenes -- though I might still pick inspiration from existing suggestions out there.
  • More character development time. There is a lot of potential in WoD that is sometimes obscured by action. For instance, I never got to help you flesh out your characters' histories, and that Haunt you got wasn't much used at all. There will be more downtime, where I introduce scenarios tailored to specific characters, and where other characters can chill out at Haunts or hideouts and do stuff that they want to do. This is also good for if 1 member will be away for an extended period of time, and we can still move the rest forward. I haven't really thought much about this part yet, but it's an aim.
  • Some artistic licence. Sometimes it can be really hard to decide what works how in the mechanics. Whenever we're confused, we'll take the option that allows for a more flavourful and fun outcome.

Anyway, I'm grateful to Seanzi, Noia, Octy and Ether for bearing with us throughout this campaign, and actively and willingly taking part. Hopefully you still have a good impression of WoD, eheheh. I won't be launching a new campaign for a while yet, but when I do I hope everyone will still give it a chance. Priority will go to Rubberrazors, though, cuz she was deprived the last time.

Also, further suggestions and comments welcome.

It's been an interesting run.

Ye the focus on storytelling has shifted slightly halfway through the campaign. I think it's just a mindset that comes with making sheets and having rulebooks though. With all these powers and stats listed nicely in front of me, it's hard to not grab the chance to kit my characters out to kick ass, especially after knowing some form of combat will be included in the campaign. (Though it did prove useful; we did meet a crap ton of aggressive NPCs)

On hindsight, I should've pushed my character a lot more. She had the perfect personality to mess up the team's plans or even ruin a fight/ friendships. If I ever get the chance to re-do this thing again,  'winning' probably wouldn't be my objective anymore.

Well I'm not against the idea of a Geist Part 2 someday in the future, and you guys can come back with your previous characters if you wish! ^^

Hrm. Doesn't exactly have to be Geist, I suppose. But yeeeh that's an issue for the future.

I blame my partners for wanting to punch everything. They've been spoiled by DnD!

Aside from that, I felt it was a little too linear. Like, it was pretty obvious where we should go each time.

I most definitely had fun though. I must thank our STers for running it over the course of the past month! I'm actually inspired to try running an episode now.

Aside from that, I felt it was a little too linear. Like, it was pretty obvious where we should go each time.

That may be attributed to the fact that the guide wasn't a choose-your-own-adventure, sadly. XD However, you guys did miss a couple of scenes, if that helps. And there were certain actions you didn't have to do in each scene, which would result in other things happening.

But yes, I think DayDay and I were too sure of what each character would choose, and thus didn't bother to present you with choices that we were sure you wouldn't pick anyway. Will be rectified in future!

Yeah, the guide was rather linear. It lays out the scenes and there's a pretty set path between them. It's just like, if they characters do X, go to this scene. If they did Y, skip ahead to this scene etc. Really, that was probably the biggest negative factor. I don't think we're experienced enough to use it as a guide and tweak it along the way. That said, we did try to add stuff. The time each character was visited by their own private battle/antagonist, that was an original idea to try to have some excitement and increase the stakes, because it was becoming apparent most of the characters were too strong - the first batch of ghosts in the carnival you fought was supposed to be more challenging. Evidently, their stats based on the story guide were not enough - so congratulations, you guys were more powerful than it had expected xD.

It was also probably a mistake to start with Geist rather than regular WoD, since that just made things twice as complex. One doesn't realize how hazy ones understanding of the rulebook is until people start asking questions.

EXP

At any rate, it was a learning experience and I hope everyone had at least some fun out of it. You don't actually get a lot of EXP each adventure, and you don't usually get the same amount. That said, you guys did clearly do really well to crush the bad guys, so we'll be generous and award basically the most you could realistically be granted: 5 exp. That's also enough to actually spend on stuff, such as buying an extra Merit dot etc.

I'd propose it be the same as DnD - that exp can carry over to any character you make in future in any game (pending the approval of whoever happens to be running it, if not myself or HH, of course).

I have a character all set up if a slot is open for me. If not, I can always wait and hope for a position in a later series.

Gonna copy this here for easy reference:

Attribute: each dot you wish to add costs 5 EXP.

Skills: each dot you wish to add costs 3 EXP.

Skill Speciality: each speciality you wish to acquire costs 3 EXP.

Merit: each dot of a merit you wish to acquire costs 2 EXP.

Morality: each level you wish to raise your morality costs 3 EXP.