Serena Death

The Kashima Art Institute - Interest Check | Sign-ups

12 posts in this topic

Setting: Modern-day Japan (for the most part) in a martial arts/magic/academics institute.

Plot:

Sometime ago, about 350 years, give or take a few decades, two grand masters of the Kashima Shrine taught their sacred martial arts to two young samurai. The first was Hidetsuna Kamiizumi, a humble young man who left the shrine upon completing his lessons in order to commence a warrior's pilgrimage. The second was a mighty warrior named Tsukahara Bokuden, who arrived at the shrine to have his battle wounds treated. During his recuperation period, he'd learned from both masters as well, and upon his recovery, he returned to the battlefield even stronger. He was eventually overcome with blood lust and became a demon that needed to be put down, so the masters reached out to Hidetsuna, who answered their call and traveled the land in search of Tsukahara. After finally tracking him down, the two had an epic clash of swords that ended with Hidetsuna walking off with Tsukahara's decapitated head dangling from his fingers by the hair.

Fearing his fleshly demise wasn't enough, the victorious Hidetsuna paid a visit to Muramasa, an infamous sword smith who was said to be evil as well. With the demon's head still in his grip, the young samurai requested a sword be made, one that was evil enough to contain the devilish spirit of his fallen foe. This sword became known as the Bokuden Blade, and Hidetsuna was its first keeper.

Hidetsuna went on to train some of Japan's greatest swordsmen, including the esteemed creator of the Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, Muneyoshi Yagyu. It was his other student, Genshinsai Ogasawara, however, who'd inherit the responsibility of guarding the evil blade and making sure it didn't fall into the wrong hands.

Hundreds of years later, Hidetsuna's line of students diminished and the sword returned to the Kashima Shrine to be protected by the descendants of the Shrine's original two masters. By the twentieth century, the Shrine itself had begun to diminish, so the masters transformed the shrine into a large academic institution in order to keep the sword from losing a lineage of protectors. They've since opened a museum within the school as well, where they keep the sword cleverly hidden in plain view until they've found the next blade bearer (Serena Hansen, a.k.a. my character :P).

• The school doubles as a martial arts/magic academy and an academic institution. It's sort of like a mix between the school in the x-men comics as well as the 'gardens' in Final Fantasy 8.
  • It's from pre-school all the way to college.
  • The academy was originally a martial arts school, but by the mid 20th century it changed into an academic institution.
  • Students can sign up to be members of various student committees. I'll go over that in more detail in the OP.
  • In the martial arts and magic academy, the students are divided into ranks. Ranks are usually age-based, but that isn't always necessarily the case. In order to advance in ranking, one must also pass 'field exams'.
  • Every year there's a martial arts tournament where students can compete for the coveted championship title/status.
  • The school has a large museum with rare artifacts. Most of these artifacts are imbued with some supernatural powers, but that's supposed to be a well-kept secret.
  • Some students and teachers know the secret, however, and some are trying to get their hands on the evil sword.

Rules:

• You can RP as either a student or an instructor.
  • You can join a student committee if you want. I'll have a complete list of the different kinds soon.
  • If you want to take a special item from the museum (create one to take) you can. Please put it in your bio somewhere and discuss it with me here or in PM. Just remember that the Bokuden Blade is supposed to be the most powerful artifact in the museum.
  • I may add some more rules later, depending on how things go.

Character Form

• Name
  • Personality
  • Powers? (Optional)
  • Artifact? (Optional)
  • Will you be joining any student committees? (Leadership, Disciplinary Committee, Hall Monitors, etc. *Optional*)

Just to let you know Serena, its generally a good idea to lump the character bios in with the discussion/sign-up thread.

It's not a required rule, but you/your participants might find it useful to reference the information you've provided above, alongside the various profiles.   :3

This sounds pretty freaking sweet. You can definately count me in on this shindig.

1 person likes this

This sounds pretty freaking sweet. You can definately count me in on this shindig.

Yay! You can post a bio here if you wanna. I'll fix my OP and give a character form.

I shall endeavour to have a character bio up sharpish; just one question though; is there any kind of established uniform that students have to where while attending the institute? or are they able to wear whatever they wish?

So, here's the character I've come up with. Any problems, feel free to give me a shout. Attire-wise, i've worked on the presumption that there is no established uniform but feel free to correct me if that isn't right.

Name: Ryuuji Hiyamoto

Appearance: Ryuuji is tall for his age at a fraction over 6 feet, and he can only be described as long and gangly. He has mossy green eyes and shoulder length black hair, naturally wavy in its appearance, which he sweeps back along his head and tucks behind his ears. Ryuuji wears a tailored western-style suit at all times, consisting of long sleeved shirts of varying colour with a tie of fitting colour, a dark blue waistcoat with gold buttons, matching blue trousers held at the waist with black belt with a gold buckle, and shiny black shoes with a slight heel on his feet. Ryuuji foregoes a suit jacket, but instead has an ankle length overcoat of the same blue colour as his suit with golden buttons at the cuffs.

Personality: Although not true inwardly, Ryuuji keeps a stoic and calm face on at all times. He gives of vibes of seriousness and relaxedness as if he were confident in all he does. In reality, Ryuuji is indeed confident in all he does but he doesn’t like to show his emotions, believing that in doing so would compromise his confidence. He isn’t cold to people, but doesn’t show anyone any warmth either, staying decidedly luke-warm for the most part.

Powers: Ryuuji’s powers revolve around the magical manipulation of light; but only in as much as he can create glowing symbols that float in the air. Ryuuji uses this ability to create the Magical Seals of the five elements (Fire, Wind, Water, Earth, and Lightning) to attack and defend. This can be a stream of elemental power, or a ball, or a trap that explodes when the seal is broken. The strength of the Seal lies in its size, ranging from the size of a golf ball to the size of a person. The bigger the seal, the more magical power it uses, so Ryuuji tends to stick to plate sized ones. Usually, Ryuuji summons the Seals with gestures from his hands, but when he is serious, he can simply will them into being; so when he puts his hands in his pockets in battle, people know things are about to go down. He can only summon the Seals within a couple of feet of his body at any time. Although Ryuuji could technically create other seals with his power, he has neglected to learn anything except the elements.

In comparison to his magic, Ryuuji’s physical abilities are rather substandard, with the exception of his ability to dodge. He learnt various martial arts when he was younger, but only the steps that would allow him to dodge and move across small spaces quickly. He believed it would best compliment his magical abilities if he could dodge and weave while attacking with the elements.

Artefact: Ryuuji will certainly be getting an Artefact, but at the moment I can’t think of anything that I want. But I’ll bring it up as soon as I think of one.

Student Committee: I was thinking Vice-President of the Disciplinary Committee if that’s cool with you.

Sorry! I was away from the internet all day yesterday. :p

Um, no uniforms required unless you're in one of the student committees, which you are.. Sort of. Lol. The Kashima school really just wants to teach its students as much as it can, including what things are like in the real world, and some jobs require a certain look, so yeah. I probably should have mentioned that.. Sorry.. Other than that, you're bio's looking great, I love it.

Fair enough. So, seeing as Ryuuji isn't really wearing casual dress anyway (Pretty sure you can't call a western style suit casual :)), are you ok with me keeping it pretty much the same? I'll ditch the overcoat and replace it with a blazer, and then that can be the uniform. Sound good to you?

The overcoat is fine. Just no things like jeans and t-shirts, or denim jackets, etc. :) I'll have an OP for this soon.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead