Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ethereal

[Closed] 13 Nights in Pleasant Glen (nWoD)

31 posts in this topic

13 Nights in Pleasant Glen

It was supposed to be an idyllic retreat, you know? I mean, it’s a sleepy, backwater town in the middle of a beautiful- yes, beautiful, valley, for Christ’s sake. I mean, sure, it’s got its secrets. Any place that’s been around for a century or so has gotta have its fair share of stories and myths. It’s part of the charm of these places, get it? Get away from the mundane chores back home…

… I want to go home… There’s something… weird with this place. Maybe it’s the way everyone shuts their doors and windows at nightfall. Or the morbid lore that surrounds its derelict landmarks and buildings. There’s something creepy about the laboratory up the hill too. The locals say it’s responsible for the incident that killed all of the town’s elderly twenty years ago. They think it’s military.

But, no, that’s not the worst of it! The worst thing of all is this-this darkness!  It seems to descend upon you suddenly, snuffing out all light and hope. It seems-- wait, what’s that noise? Someone’s knocking at the door! At this hour? Maybe it’s Danny. We came here together. I’ll be right back.

- Sophia’s diary, last entry dated 27 September 1979

What You Need To Know

This is a role-playing game based on the World of Darkness system developed by White Wolf. If you’re new to the WoD system, I highly recommend that you read the Basic nWoD Guide here.  It’s great for getting a feel of the mechanics involved with playing a RPG and a sense of the mood of WoD stories in general.

You’ll find the World of Darkness guidebook here. You will have to fill up a character sheet here.  Diceroller here.

In this game, you play as one of four unsuspecting visitors to Pleasant Glen a.k.a. Deathville. Pleasant Glen is a Silent Hill-esque setting in that it sits atop one of the gateways to the Underworld and darkness lurks around every corner. You’ll find yourselves trapped shortly upon your arrival here and be forced to find out the truth(s) behind the town. If you’re intrepid or lucky enough, your stay in Pleasant Glen will only be a temporary one. If not, well, it’s not a bad place to die really.

What You Should Expect

Firstly, this is not Dungeons and Dragons. Your player character is very much human, and very, very mortal. You are prey to the Twilight beings that stalk Pleasant Glen, make no mistake, and more often than not, you’ll find that flight is a much preferable option to fight.

Secondly, expect to do a fair amount of puzzle solving. Your best shot at survival and possibly victory over the darkness is to obtain key pieces of information.  Information may come in the form of hearsay from the town’s NPCs or research conducted at the local library. You may not recognize it when you first receive it, but it’ll always be there waiting for you to come back to it. Note that some special objects are also near-compulsory in order for you to advance the plot; you simply must find them or set aside that story arc until you do.

Thirdly, expect to take the initiative. As the Story-Teller, I’ll provide basic information about your surroundings and any NPCs that happen to be nearby. It will be completely up to you whether and how you wish to explore your environment further. There are several possible story arcs and options that you might uncover based on what you do or say (and vice versa).  I will not tell you whether a particular course of action is helpful or not; I will simply respond as circumstances dictate.

For instance, you find yourself in a grocery store. You could talk to the temp-guy at the counter, obtain some local gossip and leave after that. Or you may recall that someone was found completely drained of blood that morning and decide to purchase a clove of garlic. Who knows? Maybe your genre-savviness will save your life later on. Perhaps a blood-lusty mummy (and not a vampire like you had assumed) had perpetrated that attack, but you wouldn’t know unless you had somehow obtained that information earlier.

That being said, your posts can be as long or as short as you wish, as long as they achieve your objectives.

Lastly, if you do not post within 24 hours after all your team members have done so, I will assume that you simply went along with the crowd. Since every character can only take 1 standard action at any time, the team obviously loses out if someone doesn’t participate.

Last Words

I'm going to stuff this story with as many horror tropes from video games, novels and movies as I can muster. I might resort to images from time to time in the RPG (in links only of course). Nothing gory, but this probably isn't for the faint-hearted.

Thanks go to DayDreamer and HerculeHastings for setting up the infrastructure for WoD RPGs. I basically copied the format for this introduction from their Geist RPG.

In-Game Information

Character Information

TriOctium - Steven the Occult Detective

Room 605

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/31381

Equipped: Tonfa

Luggage: Torchlight, Lucky Coin, Compass

Demonic Gate - Jaegar the Mercenary

Room 503

http://sheetgen.dali...net/sheet/31375

Equipped: Lt Revolver

Luggage: First Aid Kit, Kevlar Vest, ???

DayDreamer - Jiri Uetz

Room 501

http://sheetgen.dali...net/sheet/31413

Equipped:

Luggage: Photos of his younger self, Dumbbells

HerculeHastings - Marissa Washington

Room 601

http://sheetgen.dali...net/sheet/31415

Equipped:

Luggage:

[Predeparture] Options for Accommodations:

A. The Tourist Package: Bedlam

Want to live in the heart of the Pleasant Glen? Bedlam is the hostel that offers the best bang for your buck! With 13 stories and 5 rooms on each level, Bedlam offers you an unobscured view of the rest of the town. The current owner is a direct descendent of Mr Edgar Goodnight, the visionary who saw fit to create the hostel more than half a century ago!

Breakfast is served at 7am daily. Dial +66 91234567 for enquiries.

- Dubious advertisement found online

B. The Hitchhikers' Choice: Cabin in the Woods

If you prefer living close to nature, consider this little gem of a place tucked away in a small forest about half an hour's walk away from Pleasant Glen. An old lady lives there. Please do be nice to her if you do decide to stay here. She's very welcoming to strangers.

Directions attached.

- Anonymous poster in a travelog forum

I would also like in. I volunteer to check off at least one horror trope, by playing the guy who brings a handheld video camera.

1 person likes this

Do we get to keep our exp from the exp bank from the last WoD game?

I'm in. I've been wanting to play a World of Darkness game for a while now.

Do we get to keep our exp from the exp bank from the last WoD game?

Yeah, you do. 

Oh should I play the woman who gets harassed during a bathing/lingerie kissing scene?

Depends on your starting point. xD More to come in a while.

Okay, so DGate, DD, HH and Octy makes 4. Uh, how do I edit the title of the thread?

You will need to decide to explain how your characters already know each other, because they're going to start off already a clique.

I'll wait for your Character Sheets before we start. Do try to provide a backstory for your characters, but it shouldn't exceed 5 lines max. I may decide to tweak your backstory a bit for plot purposes.

When you hit edit post, you need to again select "Use Full Editor" to edit the title too.

As for knowing each other, unless people want to work out a more elaborate deal, I suggest we all took the same bus/train/etc to this town, basically just us alone, and so got to know each other during the fairly long trip. Simple and doesn't require a huge amount of coordination.

Alternatively, all our characters met up at an online roleplaying forum years ago, and decided to meet up in the town as part of an annual group outing.

Realism ftw

1 person likes this

As for knowing each other, unless people want to work out a more elaborate deal, I suggest we all took the same bus/train/etc to this town, basically just us alone, and so got to know each other during the fairly long trip. Simple and doesn't require a huge amount of coordination.

Updated the original post with the default accommodations option.

Alternatively, all our characters met up at an online roleplaying forum years ago, and decided to meet up in the town as part of an annual group outing.

Realism ftw

After some thought, updated the original post with the alternative accommodations option.

DG, I apologize if I didn't make it clear before, but all of your characters are essentially going to Pleasant Glen on a holiday. The outside world's view on Pleasant Glen is that it's a sleepy, out-of-the-way town with the occasional rumor about it, kinda like the Bermuda Triangle. There's no reason you should be packing that much firepower on a holiday trip.

As a mercenary on a holiday, I'd say the most you can pack is a Light Revolver as your Personal Item. No extra clips.

Also, I'm limiting everyone to only what you can carry on your person, which in most cases should be 1 item. You can have another 3 items that suits your character's theme; these will constitute your luggage/suitcase(s). You can swap your personal carry item with one of these items whenever you return to your accommodations.

So in DG's case, he has the choice of equipping either the Kevlar Vest, Light Revolver, or the First Aid Kit as his default carry item whenever he leaves the accommodations. I'll keep track of what everyone decides to equip each day.

EDIT: DG, You have 11 points to spend on Skills in your Primary Attribute. I think you might have missed out a point cuz I count only 10 dots in Physical.

Sorry, didn't know if that would all be okay. I figured maybe I was being sent here to look into a target that disappeared or something. T'was an idea, but I'll update.

Edited: Right, should be all settled. Decided to move one or two things around, but just tell me if it looks good now.

Light Revolver, not Light Pistol. 17 rounds is pretty excessive. Most things you'll face will either die to one good shot or are immune to bullets.

Where is Combat Marksmanship referenced in the WoD Guidebook? Can't seem to find it.

Other than that, it seems fine!

Okay mine is mostly done, won't have time to put the finishing touches on tonight. Mostly just name, the little background blurb I think: http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/31413

While you'll note he has exceptional physical fighting skills, I don't actually expect to use them here, it's just part of his character.

This is Marissa Washington.

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/31415

She is a struggling undergraduate who never has enough money to pay her bills. The only reason she decided to come to Pleasant Glen was because she won a "lucky draw" to an "all expenses paid" trip to the place. She suspected there was a ploy, but since she had no idea what kind of place Pleasant Glen was, she decided to take the benefit of the doubt (who would pass up a vacation trip, really?). By the way, she is a below-average student in school, but possesses excellent logical deductive ability and also the Common Sense Merit (if Ether reads the description, it means there're times when he must tell me when I'm making a bad decision XD). Her logic suddenly disappears when it comes to fortune-telling, horoscopes, palmistry, Ouija boards etcetera though. She has a great weakness for them.

Aside from that, she has certain strange compulsions. For one, her Vice is Gluttony. She reaaaaaally loves eating (but she has the Iron Stomach Merit so she's really not fussy about what she eats). On a more serious note, she also has obsessive-compulsive disorder. However, it has been with her for years now, and she has learnt how to live her life despite it. That said, none of the other characters would know about it, but she would suspiciously disappear everyday to wash her hands 7 times, among other strange actions.

DD, unless I missed something, you have 4 points to spend in Social Skills, not 3. I also count 8 points in Merits instead of 7. Are you using Experience points from Geist?

Both of you and Octy should include 4 thematic items in your character sheets too. Nothing magical, please. They should be what you'd pack for a vacation and what you're most likely to carry around with you.

I lol'd at both of your character sheets, DD and HH.

If DG's bringing a Kevlar Vest then I'm gonna bring along a tonfa too. Steven can never get too careful with these supernatural things. My other three thematic items are a torchlight, a compass, and Steven's lucky coin. It's not really lucky, he just uses it to make decisions sometimes.

Dayday has no EXP from Geist lololol. He probably mis-counted.

Anyway Marissa's penniless. I don't know what she'd bring really.

OH OH I KNOW. Marissa will bring her tortoise and hamster with her.

@ Octy: Okay, lol. I guess it's less destructive than what Jaegar is packing.

@HH: What about a deck of trick Poker cards?

... Pretty sure there's a GIF of a demonic hamster somewhere...

You folks need to decide how your characters know each other too. Something DD mentioned will set you up for A, while if you go along Octy's suggestion, you can choose A or B.

Nooo, Marissa isn't a magician. She'd be more likely to be bringing tarot cards. Yeah actually, she should also bring a set of tarot cards, ouija board, all those occult tools.

And i vote A. It'll fit the all-expenses-paid trip idea too.

Yeah I must've miscounted. Also my guy is going to make fun of Octy carrying a tonfa around with him, something about compensating.

Octy, 1 plus 3 items. You currently have 2+3. I'd prefer if you let go of either the knife or the tonfa. Having both seems redundant.

DG, okay, it looks like you met the prerequisites for Combat Marksmanship, so that's fine. Nobody else bring any more weapons now.

Looks like we're almost set. I'll post the introduction once everyone has the complete sheet up and you've decided on which accommodation options you'll choose.