Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ethereal

WoD: 13 Nights in Pleasant Glen

160 posts in this topic

I seem to be able to sate myself for now with 3 bowls of rice.

 

[1, 2, 3]

 

I stand outside dazed. Did that just happen? Maybe I'm asleep still, this is all very strange. I guess I'll just go back to bed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My eyes jolted open.

 

I looked at the ceiling, listening to the sound of rushing water coming from the bathroom, my bathroom. I had definitely sealed the window and door, so no human could enter. The salt barrier was also in place, so it should by rights keep supernatural beings out. So this person using my toilet must, in conclusion, be neither human nor supernatural.

 

I got up from bed and walked towards the toilet, screaming out, "Who's there?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steven

[Roll result: 0 successes]

You must have expended too much energy salting the rooms earlier. You are unable to resist the allure of sleep and doze off. You dream of yourself drawing crop circles with salt. After you’re done, UFOs come and abduct you, the vertigo making your head spin as you’re sucked upwards by the tractor beam.

 

[You cannot take any further actions for tonight.]

 

Jaegar

[Roll result: 3 successes

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiDiceRoller?hash=7bcd3ff0]

You pull back the curtains and are shocked to see Steven outside your window. But that’s not all, he is dangling in mid-air, slowly but surely choking on a fraying length of manila rope! He is scrabbling against your window, but his hands cannot find any purchase against the wet glass. You see the desperation on his face. He struggles to speak, but clearly even that effort is too much for him. He does not have much longer.

 

[You recover from the shock fast enough to help, but you must be fast. To cut Steven down, you must first possess a sharp implement.

 

Roll Dexterity + Athletics to “reel†Steven closer to you. You require 1 success to snag onto him successfully and start sawing at the rope. You may try as many times as you want, but take a -1 penalty for each subsequent attempt as you become more and more frustrated and lose focus. Stop immediately if you obtain a Dramatic Failure.

 

You may take any other alternative/additional courses of action as you see fit.]

 

Marissa

Your cry goes unanswered. You hesitate for a moment, and then push the bathroom door open. As it swings open, you see that the bathroom is empty. However, the showerhead has been turned on and is now filling the bathtub with water.  The water appears to be hot, for the mirror in the bathroom on your right is already fogged up.

 

It occurs to you that the salt circle passes across the doorway to the bathroom. If you enter the bathroom, you will be leaving the protective circle.

 

It also occurs to you to call for help. You try to open the door to the hall, but the door appears to be stuck. It is almost as though something is holding it shut from the other side.

 

[You have at least 3 courses of action.

 

You can enter the bathroom to turn the tap off, but something tells you it won’t be that easy to get out once you enter.

 

Or you can simply return to bed and wait. However, common sense tells you that the bathtub will flood over at some point and enter the room (quite possibly eroding the salt line as well).

 

Alternatively, you can attempt to break down the door. If you choose this option, Roll Strength + Stamina + equipment bonus (if you use an object). Each success beyond 1 inflicts 1 point of structural damage to the door. If you ram into the door unarmed, you take 1 bashing damage for each attempt. The door will give way once you inflict 8 points of structural damage to it.]

 

Jiri

You’ve only moved a few dozens steps from Biggerson’s when you hear the doors slamming open behind you. You whirl around and see Mr Jhui wielding a chopper, with a crazed expression on his wrinkled face. He notices you and calls out to you. You do not understand the words, but the menace is palpable.

 

He begins running towards you with the chopper raised high. Will you fight or escape?

 

[You can choose to either make a stand here or attempt to escape.

 

If you choose to fight, roll for Initiative. If you roll less than 15, Jhui has higher initiative. He will close the gap and commence slashing at you.

 

If you choose to escape, roll Stamina + Athletics. We’ll experiment with a simple skill check and see how it goes. Accumulate 9 successes before 6 failures. Failures on 10 Agains do not count towards the 6 failures. Anytime you achieve an Exceptional Success, you automatically get away. If you accumulate 6 failures first, you are forced into combat.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay...there's a Gumshoe on a rope...haven't seen that in a while. But no time for jokes, I gotta get this guy inside, even though I'm some weird manifestation of my actual self.

 

Opening the window and reaching over, trying to keep myself balanced, I aim to get to him quick enough to keep the guy from dying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somehow the water had been turned on. It would be so easy for me to just step in and turn it off, and yet I could feel something holding me back. It was too far for me to stand where I was and lean in to turn the water off (and also pretty absurd. Really, what am I thinking?). And yet...

 

Yet I knew something was up. I knew this was not so simple.

 

Whatever I did now was going to come with its own consequences. Every decision from this point on would have great bearing on whether I -- or anyone else -- would make it out alive. And none of the decisions were going to be easy.

 

I tried opening the room door now, but it seemed to be stuck. Even the key did not work. I could feel the door moving, just a little, then moving back again with even greater force, as if somebody outside was holding it fast.

 

I looked at the door. I turned and looked at the bathtub.

 

"I'm not afraid of you!" I yelled manically, and took 1 step into the bathroom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jiri's sensation of a dream-like daze was quite shattered as the crazy man rushed at him. He was suddenly alert and aware that this was all quite real. The mysteries that left would have to wait for later; now was the time to run.

 

[Result: 3 successes, 6 failures]

 

Athletic as he was, Jiri was disadvantaged by the fact his pursuer had a head start in motion, and found himself unable to escape being closed in on. Looks like he had to fight. But his assailant would clearly get the first strike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jaegar

You open your window, lean out slightly and reach out to Steven, who has stopped struggling and is now swaying limply in the wind. As you do so, however, Steven's hands abruptly reach for and tighten around your throat with deadly speed and precision. You recoil from the icy-cold contact and promptly look up at Steven's face, except that you find it isn't Steven at all.

 

[The Spirit's Phantasm was 4 successes vs your 3 successes.] 

 

You see instead the face of an unfamiliar man, whose neck lay broken at an awkward angle and is suspended by the hemp rope. His eyes are shut as if asleep, but his lips slowly curl into an eerie smile as you watch. An invisible force is applied against the wall and in the next moment, your feet have left the edge. You are now choking helplessly mid-air in the grip of the malevolent being. Your legs flail desperately as you clutch at your neck and pry at the fingers locked around it.

 

Your vision darkens even as you stare at the entity's face, unable to turn your face away. It is grinning now as it strangles the life out of you.

 

[You cannot take any more actions for tonight.]

 

Marissa

Nothing happens. You would have felt vaguely silly for screaming the way you did, except that the sense of foreboding is still present. You proceed cautiously towards the end of the bathroom where the tap is. The floor is wet beneath your feet; it seems that the tub has flooded already. You don't hear the door slowly swinging shut and locking over the gushing sounds of water.

 

As you pass by the middle of the bathroom, you feel your goosebumps rising.

 

[Apparition's Ghost Sign: 2 successes.]

 

Something attracts your attention to the mirror. You see a message being written on the condensation of the glass:

Run

Mary is here

 

You continue regardless, as you certainly can't ignore the running tap, and finally reach the bathtub. You bend forward ever so slightly over the filling bathtub to turn off the tap.

 

[Poltergeist's Manifestation: 1 success.]

 

A little girl sudden emerges from beneath the water surface and attempts to pull your head down into the water.

 

[Roll double your Defense to dodge this ambush. After your roll, you will not need to take any further actions.]

 

Jiri

The frenzied Jhui slashes at you as you engage him in combat.

 

[Reflexive roll to dodge the opening strike: Jhui's Strength 3 + Weaponry 2 - Jiri's Defense 4 = 0 success]

 

You deftly dodge the downward stroke. Jhui snarls and glares at you menacingly as his head twitches. From this distance, you can see that his eyes are clouded over. He seems to be beyond reason.

 

[To resolve this encounter, roll Strength + Brawl - his Defense 4 (plus any until you accumulate at least 7 successes. The number of rolls is the number of turns that you take to knock him out. For each turn that you take, he makes the same attack on you so roll as above. He inflicts lethal damage with the chopper.]

 

[After you knock him out, decide on whether and how you'll deal with him.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Run? Is that some kind of Japanese name?" I wondered aloud, peering at the message written on the mirror. Shrugging, I turned and reached out my hand to turn off the tap.

 

Suddenly, a little girl emerged from the water with a splash and extended a hand. I felt a cold grip on my chin, and an unexpectedly strong tug downwards.

 

I yelled.

 

[roll 4 dice: 1 Success

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiDiceRoller?hash=38096aa9]

 

I jerked my head violently upward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jiri's honed fighting instincts kicked in, and he focused on the fight. He struck back with a roundhouse kick, but the crazed Jhui avoided it. The cleaver swung again and Jiri leapt narrowly out of the way. This time Jiri had the upper hand, quite literally, and struck Jhui from above with his hand. The hit wasn't hard enough though, and Jhui lashed out with his cleaver, slashing Jiri across the chest. Adrenaline was pumping freely. Jiri grunted and punched as hard as he could, smashing Jhui in the face so hard he thought he'd ended the fight. But Jhui lurched forward again and caught Jiri's arm with his cleaver. By now though, the crazed man was sluggish, and Jiri found it easy to land the final blow, karate-chopping Jhui on the back of his neck.

 

[Round 1: Jiri 0 success, Jhui 0 success

Round 2: Jiri 1 success, Jhui 2 success

Round 3: Jiri 4 success, Jhui 1 success

Round 4: Jiri 2 success, Jhui defeated

 

Jiri has 3 lethal damage: chest and arm slash wounds]

 

Jhui crumpled to the ground, and Jiri inspected his wounds. "Ow ow ow. What were you doing you crazy old man?" he said through clenched teeth. He ripped his sleeves off his shirt and wrapped them around his wounds as makeshift bandages just to stop the bleeding going everywhere. The wounds weren't too bad, and he needed to get to the bottom of this now while Jhui was unconscious.

 

He kicked the cleaver away from the man's hand, then knelt down and inspected his body and pockets for any sort of clues as to his behaviour. He'd spend just a brief time looking for any clues, and then he'd get out of there and get back to the hotel.

 

[investigate Crime Scene: 1 success]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jiri

In Jhui's pockets and apron, you find the following items: a lighter, a small yellow piece of fabric that's been folded into a triangle with red writings on it, a packet of Marlboro, and some spare change. You may take as many or as few of these items as you wish. These are all Small items that fit into your pockets; you may carry up to 2 Small items on your person next to the 1 Item that you can normally equip.

 

Unfortunately, you are unable to discover any clues as to why Jhui attacked you in such a crazed state. You return to your room in Bedlam, and collapse into an uneasy, dreamless sleep.

 

- End of Day 1 -

 

- Day 2 Begins -

7:03AM

Steven

You wake up in your bed fully refreshed after a night's rest. You find yourself wondering if the rest are up yet. You perform your morning rituals, and then head out to wake the rest. 

 

[Feel free to define any additional actions you wish to take during this period.]

 

Marissa

After the sudden ambush with the little girl, you found yourself alone in the bathroom with the running tap. The girl who had attacked you was nowhere to be seen at all, and the sense of oppression that you had been experiencing appeared to have lifted as well. You turned off the tap nervously and exited the bathroom, grabbing the towel along the way. To your immense relief, the bathroom door opened easily and even the door to the hallway appeared unblocked. You returned to bed, did your best to dry your hair with the towel, and attempted to fall asleep again. You eventually succeeded, and fall asleep dreaming about playing hide-and-seek with Mary and Tammy.

 

Several hours later, you awake to the sounds of knocking on your door. You call out to your visitor and hear Steven's reply from outside.

 

[Likewise, you may do whatever you want before bundling off to wake the rest with Steven. Perhaps you should feed your pets. Or do something about the make-up mirror.]

 

Jaegar

You jerk awake upon hearing the knocking on your door and immediately sit upright, paranoia possessing you briefly. You spend several moments feeling utterly disoriented. Was that just a nightmare? You leap off the bed and inspect yourself in the mirror, tilting your chin upwards as you do so. In what faint light that penetrates the curtains from outside, you see faint marks on your neck. Are those… strangulation imprints? They seem faded, as though it was from a long time ago. They even feel sore when you touch them, although that may just be a part of your imagination.

 

Whoever's at the door is still knocking. You walk towards it to see who it is. As you do, a draft of cold air causes you to sneeze. Behind you, the curtains glide gently, buoyed by a breeze that the open window had let in.

 

Steven, Marissa and Jaegar

The three of you knock on Ueda's door and wait. He finally answers after 5 minutes of persistent knocking. When the door opens, all of you gasp at the sight of his wounds. Before you can question him, you hear a jingle play over the hotel's PA system, followed by the "ting!" of metal hitting glass. That is surely the bell for breakfast!

 

All

Breakfast is a relatively modest affair here at Bedlam, it seems. A catering table has been set up across from the front desk for the guests to help themselves to the food. On the table, there is a tray full of sandwiches - with the options of peanut butter, tuna, or butter spread, a rather large pot of porridge with chicken, and two jugs of coffee and tea.

 

Besides yourselves, you also see some other individuals around the table.

 

There is a rather stout woman that Steven will recognize as Grace. She is conversing quite solemnly with a grave and sallow-looking middle-aged man who is stiffly dressed in a black suit, replete with a monocle.

 

You also see a well-built man with a boyish face who appears to be a law enforcement officer, with a gun holster on his belt and a badge on his uniform.

 

Lastly, there appears to be a young couple who appears to be flirting with each other over at a corner of the room by themselves.

 

Ed is waiting by the table and comes up to you as you near the breakfast spread.  

 

"Good morning. I hope you've had a good night?" he inquired in his polite manner.

 

[You may converse with Ed and pose questions to him, or approach any of the others. However, breakfast will last for only half an hour, after which they will disperse. Therefore, you may want to split up to do so. You should decide on who approaches who.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Steven!" Whoever cared about feeding pets right now? All I wanted to see now was a real-life human being, to assure me that everything was safe and back to normal again. I flung open the door, panting in a mix of relief and anxiety. "Steven, you wouldn't believe what happened last night! There was a girl in the bathtub, and it was flooding with water, and she tried to jerk me into the tub, and I resisted, and then on the mirror there was more writing, about someone named Run and someone named Mary! And I was playing hide-and-seek with Mary and Tammy, but I couldn't find them because I didn't even know what they looked like, and I didn't dare to check the bathtub and OOOF!" I collapsed onto the floor, too emotionally exhausted.

 

Steven looked like he had a relatively peaceful night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Marissa? What happened to you? Did the salt barrier not work? I listened to her explanation as she related her account of the girl who had tried to drown her in the tub. That is strange indeed. Did the ghost girl get trapped in the toilet while he was establishing the salt barrier? If so, why did she disappear after just one attempt? I quickly helped Marissa to her feet, the poor girl. She must have gotten quite the fright. I wonder if the other two campers have had similar experiences.

 

In any case, Marissa, you should check whether you've accidentally disturbed the salt barrier in your room. Perhaps a little water got onto a part and broke the circle, or you might have accidentally kicked away a few grains. But we could always do this after breakfast. You can't go solving a paranormal mystery without some food in your stomach! I'll come up and take a look at your room after we're done eating.

 

I met up with Jaeger and Jiri, and was surprised when I saw the slash wounds on the latter's chest. Before I could ask him about the matter, however, the bell rang for breakfast, and the four of us milled wordlessly down to the lobby. I recognized Grace from the grocery store yesterday, and tipped my hat towards her. Good morning, ma'am, I greeted her. There was always time for a little common courtesy. There were also a few other interesting individuals sitting around, including someone who looked like he came from the local police department. Now, I don't normally interfere with the local authorities especially when I'm on vacation, but Jiri's wounds aren't something to be ignored.

 

Turning to Marissa, I addressed her again. Sorry, but could you check on your room by yourself first? I have a few things that I want to talk about with the good officer over there. I'll come up once I'm done talking. Jiri, could I bother you to come with me for a moment? You might have been the victim of assault and/or attempted murder, and your testimony will be quite valuable in helping the local authorities apprehend your assailant.

 

I then approached the police officer. Good day, sir, I tipped my hat to him. I'm Detective Steven Smith, from the NYPD. I came to Pleasant Glen for a vacation, but my friend here has been the victim of a heinous crime committed just last night. I seek the help of the local authorities in handling the matter. Jiri, could you explain to the officer your situation?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I listened to Steven's talking, frankly, the less secure I felt. That, coupled with his strange mannerisms of tipping hats -- as if this was some colonial era -- made me very suspicious. Was he hiding something by behaving so abnormally flightily? I did not have time to pursue the matter though, for he did remind me to check on the bathroom. I opened the door of the bathroom, noting with some apprehension that it looked as if nothing had happened, then bent down to examine the salt line. From what I could tell it didn't look amiss.

 

Though really, Steven had put this idea into our heads, this ridiculous notion about salt barriers. I knew they could not possibly keep out anything spiritual. Now he had gone and make us stare fretfully at salt barriers. This was a man with great influence.

 

I decided to go back now. I think I wouldn't trust him from now on. There were too many mysteries surrounding him. Besides, I also wanted to hear what had happened with Jiri last night.

 

"Jiri," I cut in, stepping up to them, "did something happen to you as well?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went back into my room and threw on a shirt before addressing the matter of my wounds. Surely I couldn't talk to Marissa properly with my rugged toned physique exposed. Even despite my injuries, I'd done my morning workout already, so my muscles popped nicely. I couldn't expect Marissa to remain focused on the matters at hand while looking upon my award-winning modelling body. We'd talk over breakfast.

 

"Old man Jhui came at me with a butcher knife last night." I paused for a moment, remembering why I was even out there. "I think I sleepwalked or something. For some reason I was out eating at the restaurant in the early hours. And then he attacked me as I left. I fended him off, course, though not quite without injuries, since I hesitated to strike an old man, even crazed as he was."

 

As much as I didn't wish to show off my physique, I was forced to roll up my shirt to show the slash wound across my chest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marissa, Steven, Jiri

The cop looks over at you appraisingly, and sets his plate of food down next to his hat on the table before speaking, "And good day to you all, people. Or that's what I would have liked to say, but that wound looks grievous. Jhui, you say? Well, that man was eccentric but I wouldn't have figured him for a violent man. I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask all of you to follow me to the Station to file a report."

 

He puts on his hat, gives a salute of thanks to Ed and turns back to you. He inclines his head slightly towards the exit and looks at you inquiringly. The badge above his right breast pocket identifies him as Rick Gimes.

 

[You may follow him now if you wish, or elect to do so after breakfast, which will you some time here at the hostel. It is only compulsory for Jiri to proceed to the station with Rick, but you may all accompany him if you wish.]

 

[Note: The yellow triangle from Jhui has been added to Jiri's inventory. You may have it identified by a source with the relevant knowledge.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"All of us?" I asked, spooning breakfast voraciously into my mouth. I would really like to finish my breakfast in peace. "You really just need Jiri to go with you, right?"

 

A drop of gravy landed on my hand. I grabbed a handkerchief and rubbed at it vigorously. The part of my hand where the gravy had been turned gradually pink. I quickly finished up all my food and silently stepped out of my seat. Hoping no one had seen me, I slunk out of the dining room towards the toilet on the first level. The door was closed. I stood to the side and waited. Fortunately, I did not need to wait long. One of the patrons from the dining-room came up and walked into the toilet. I made sure to slide in just at the right time so that I wouldn't need to touch the door.

 

I stared at the mirror. My reflection stared back at me. I was still clutching my wrist as if it were limp. My reflection had a resigned look in her eyes. Forget going to the police. We were going to spend a long time here again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had remained silent this entire time. I couldn't think of anything really important to say. I felt like everything last night was a dream and even the marks on my throat could be shrugged off as something I might've done in my sleep. Plus when I cleared my throat earlier it hurt slightly on the inside, so avoiding talking at the moment might be my best move as long as I'm not the target of a question.

 

The food for breakfast looked pretty edible though, and then it hit me. "Must've been the food we had last night that gave us these bad dreams...food affects how we dream after all." I said almost inaudibly. I unfolded the napkin and spread it across my lap and ate slowly as I usually did. I had a bit of a focus on the strawberries and cream with my food, kinda wanted something sweet. Plus I know I can always stomach that. More and more though, I felt like I wasn't terribly hungry and so after a couple bites I stopped, and waited for the others to finish before doing anything. I didn't want to be rude and just leave the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jiri, Steven

You finish breakfast and follow Sheriff Rick towards the exit of the hostel. The other guests look at you two and mutter among themselves. Ed, having been close enough to overhear you recount the night's incident, puts up a hand in silent farewell.

 

Outside, the air is still chilly. The sky itself is overcast, as if it might rain at a moment's notice. The square in front of Bedlam is an image of serene quiet. You see the Hobo from the night before pacing back and forth next to a nearby building, occasionally punching the air and saying something under his breath. His picket sign is leaning against the wall.

 

You get into Sheriff Rick's patrol car and he starts up the engine. As he does so, he says," So have you spoken to any of the locals? Most of us are rather superstitious folks, you'll find. They'll tell you not to leave your room at night. Well, I don't believe in any of that poppycock nonsense, but all the same I'd advise you to stay indoors at night. We've been having reports of nighttime disturbances lately. Just this morning, we found a dead couple in the southern parts of town."

 

Marissa, Jaegar

After Jiri and Steven depart for the police station, Ed returns to your side. 

 

"Marissa, are you alright? You seem pale. I assume you'll be touring the town today? You're in luck, actually. There's a traveling carnival that's stopping in town this week. They'll have festivities going on the evening, and you should drop by if you've the chance. You'll find them on the other side of the river south of Pleasant Glen."

 

As breakfast has concluded, you decide to visit someplace in town. You may select a destination out of the options that you know of so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Am I pale?" I asked, probably turning even paler from self-consciousness. When I came out, it seemed both Jiri and Steven had gone, but Jaeger had not joined them.

 

"Well, maybe I'll do some travelling," I said, not at all feeling the mood. Then something struck her from what she had heard Jiri say.

 

"Hey, Ed, I think I'll head over to Mr Jhui's eatery. Biggerson's, right? Yeah, I think I'll go over there. Jaeger, do you want to go with me?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I haven't spoken to the locals, but evidently it was not a good idea to go out at night indeed." I said, rubbing my wounded arm. "I don't know what possessed me..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"A dead couple?" Stevens eyes widened at this piece of news. "Unless they were killed by Mr Jhui, it seems that there is more than one dangerous individual located around town! May I ask what the local authorities are doing about the problem? Have these occurrences been happening frequently? I understand if your department is understaffed, but I do hope that there is at least a night patrol system, all the more since all these assaults seem to be happening at night."

"After we arrive at the station, I must also kindly request for an itinerary of the bus schedule to and from this town and New York. Tourists should not be encouraged to come here until the criminals have been apprehended, or at least the situation brought under control!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marissa, Jaegar

In response, Ed tilts his head slightly and asks, "Biggerson's? I'm afraid they don't open until noon. Who's this Mr Jhui you speak of? It's not familiar to me."

 

The other guests have all left the hostel at this time. 

 

Steven, Jiri

"The only bus to this godforsaken place is the one you probably took. It comes only once every week, and sometimes not even. I don't think you need to be worrying about tourists coming to harm here. From what I know, it's just you folks this week," says Rick, keeping his eyes on the road.

 

"And well, we investigate. It's difficult to investigate two lumps of meat and pools of blood everywhere though. I'm not sure what they told you where you bought your tickets, but you sure picked a hell of a place to visit. And I'm ashamed to tell you this, but there're no night patrols here. We couldn't find anyone that would do it, you know? The way they bring up children here, the stories they tell them, man, you wouldn't stay out after dark either."

 

Rick eventually slows down near a brick-red building that is only a single-storey high. He turns and stops right outside of a small pen that holds just one other vehicle: a police SUV. He passes Steven a key that was on top of the arm rest and beckons for him to help unlock the thick chains on the gate. All of you alight after the car has been parked and enter the building from a side entrance.

 

The inside of the building is brightly-lit and organized. As you proceed along a corridor, you pass by six empty holding cells, and then a visiting room. You see two other cops discussing something en route, although they are dressed in civilian wear. Rick acknowledges them with a nod and a quick comment ("Tourists."), but doesn't introduce you.

 

Past the visiting room, you enter an office with Rick's name on the plate. His office is non-airconditioned and just as brightly lit as the rest of the station, with only one paraphernalia that doesn't look like it's official business: a portrait of a woman and a young boy. He invites you to be seated, removes his hat and seats himself.

 

"So, Mr Jhui. He's from the small enclave of Chinese immigrants we've had here since forever. I'll give it to you, that man doesn't seem like much, but he's got balls. From what the people have told me, he's some sort of a chef for spooks. Cooks for the ghosts of the long-dead or something. I don't know if that's true, but he's been at it for almost a decade now. Now that's a thriving business if there ever was one here."

 

He leans forward and looks at Jiri intensely, "Alright, now tell me that story again."

-

Half an hour later, Rick sees you out of the front entrance of the station. Before you part, he says, "I'll send a couple of boys to Jhui's place. When we find him, I'll be in touch with Ed so check with him regularly."

 

The two of you then exit the station, free to go wherever you want. You notice that there's a huge building right next door that has the name "Pleasant Glen Museum of the Occult" above the tall, double doors.

 

9.33AM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Biggerson's sure seems like a posh restaurant. It only opens at noon and closes in the evening. People can't even have brunch in there. I secretly found this better though, to explore the place before it opens to visitors. This must mean we can get more clues, without being disturbed!

 

"Yeah I think we'll just walk around outside and see what there is," I tell Ed casually. "Thanks for the concern, but don't worry about us. Let's go then, Jaeger."

 

I make for the direction of Biggerson's, meaning to find this Mr Jhui person that seems unknown to people in the village, though not discounting the possibility that Ed just doesn't remember Chinese names well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I glanced towards the building next door, his eyes lingering shortly on the signboard. Well, I don't know about you, but I don't intend on making this holiday trip a complete loss, I said to Jiri, starting to walk towards the museum. Perhaps this museum could hold some insight on the strange phenomena that is occurring around us at this point in time. Are you interested in joining me, or do you want to take a walk around town instead?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't object to leaving the place. I mean, I was supposedly on vacation, and after last night I'd like to get up and stretch my legs. Nonetheless, I asked Marissa to wait for me at the front desk so I could go retrieve some...'essentials' from my room. I made my way up and grabbed a fistful of lollipops from my bag and stuffed them in my coat pocket, which subsequently I needed to change...stripping down and getting some new clothes on, I felt refreshed. As usual, a new set of clothes makes a guy feel like new. After figuring everything out and putting my gun in my suitcase and locking it, I made my way back downstairs. On the way down I opened a lolli and popped it in. Lemon. My favorite. As the doors opened I slipped on my spectacle-sunglasses and walked over to Marissa. "Sorry to keep you waiting."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)