Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ethereal

WoD: 13 Nights in Pleasant Glen

160 posts in this topic

I was filled with tremendous relief that I was spared, for the petty reason that the knife did look unsanitised. Another part of me was worried, though. After all, I knew much more than the rest, and it looked like Mrs Carmody was aware of that.

 

"We came to ask your help regarding certain... demons that seem to be plaguing Mr Jhui, the chef at Biggerson's restaurant. He seems worried that spirits will be looking for him tonight. May we borrow some salt to protect him? And of course, any other exorcism services you guys may have," I said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marissa, Jiri, Jaegar

Mrs Carmody smiles with a hint of smugness as she says,"Ah, yes. Salt. But salt is only a temporary solution. It will neither banish your demons nor erase your sins. The spirits are drawn to sinners. You must tell me what has transpired to incite their restlessness or we cannot help you solve your problems."

 

You wonder if she knows something you don't. It feels as though she's expecting a specific piece of information from you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Well, hm, let me see how much I remember..." I scratched my head to think. "It started off when Jiri Uetz ate his food, I think, that was supposed to be offered to the ancestors." I shot a glare at Jiri. So he had caused all this trouble!

 

"Jhui is a descendent of a group of Chinese prospectors that had settled in Pleasant Glen in the early 1800s to seek gold. When they arrived in the town, they brought along with them their religion and beliefs about ancestor worship.

 

By the 1950s, the Chinese enclave had been established in the town and the descendants of those early prospectors had become relatively affluent. This generation's religious faith, however, had been significantly eroded by this point and they've stopped worshipping their ancestors and making offerings to them.  This culminated in a particular July when the angered ancestors, who were unable to pay for their passage in Hell, entered the realm of humans and possessed all firstborn sons. They then drove the sons to kill their parents for failing to teach them to respect their ancestors and religion.

 

The only parent they spared was Jhui's great-grandfather, who was a devout and the only one who still observed the seventh month by that time. The ancestors had warned him to ensure that they were fed every night and the seventh month observed henceforth, or there will be another massacre again. And that is what Jhui's family line has been dutifully doing ever since, up until last night.

 

The exorcism is a specific rite that Jhui's father had learned from a traveling monk who had passed through the town three decades ago and sympathized with the town's plight. It supposedly summons the guardians of Hell to restrain errant spirits who were causing trouble in the mortal realm."

 

I paused. I sure remembered a lot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marissa, Jiri, Jaegar

Carmody seems to bristle at the last part of what you said, and when you have finished speaking, she immediately admonishes," The Guardians of Hell? Are they not demons and abominations themselves? For only the unholy would make the Underworld its residence surely. If you would ally yourselves with demons and raise them to the realm of the living simply to rid yourselves of several malignant spirits, you are clearly mere children in such matters!"

 

"Tell me, do you even know what is the price you will be paying for their aid? Demons do not believe in charity and if you do not set the terms, then they will."

 

She pauses here for your reply. You sense that your next words here will be of great import.

 

[Anyone can make a Empathy + Manipulation roll.]

 

Steven

After the sheriff drives off, you continue without incident to the Occult Museum. When you're there, you see that the doors have been left slightly ajar. What do you do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Well, slightly ajar doors are never a good sign. Luckily for me, I'm well-versed in these types of clues. Perhaps the poor woman's had an encounter with her departed husband like me. I think I'll go check on her to see if she's okay. Walking into the museum, I slowly peek my head in, readying my torchlight by my side in case the lights have gone out within. Miss Warrens? I call. Are you alright? Your door was left open."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steven

The lights are off even though the day is already beginning to darken. It seems that there is no one in. You deduce that Lora has probably followed whoever came to take away Mr Warren's body and in her haste has forgotten to latch the door. You're uncertain how long it's been since she left, but you should probably work fast, whatever it is you intend to do next.\

 

 it is now 5PM. There are 2 hours left before night falls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[Empathy + Manipulation: 3 dice

2 Successes

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiDiceRoller?hash=bb10a273]

 

"I..." I found myself at a loss of what to say for a moment. I turned absently to glance at something beside me, then turned back to look at Mrs Carmody.

 

"I know that this whole matter is more complex than it seems, and that we're better off not interfering in something like this. H-however... I believe it's our duty, Mrs Carmody, not to turn a blind eye when the affair concerns humans and spirits. We owe our lives to that, the 2 of us."

 

I didn't really know what else to say after this, and started twitching nervously. Mrs Carmody was just creeping me out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I'm not sure how Miss Warrens will take this... but it seems like we'll need it more than her for tonight. I'll explain everything to her when I get back tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll go down to Protective Talismans and pick up the camera obscura that I saw earlier. That should help me ward off the spirits somewhat. While I'm there, I'll also take a look around to see if there's any other talismans or devices which one of my friends might be able to use for the night."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marissa, Jaegar, Jiri

You detect that a hint of falseness beneath Mrs Carmody's righteous demeanor. She stares at you intently.

 

"God forbid that the parish stands by idly while you summon demons into our midst. We will assist in the exorcism of the malignant spirits, but with the power of His divine will, not by consorting with demons. Leave us now, and I pray that you'll be wiser when we next meet again."

 

She turns her back to you and looks at the figure of Jesus on the cross at the altar from across the church. The two reverends close in on you and gestured towards the exit, their expressions impassive.

 

---

 

Outside, you see a police vehicle turn into the far end of road you're on and cruise down it; it'll pass right by you at some point. Close to you, you spot a a man dressed in raggedy cloths seated dejectedly by the roadside with a cup in front of him. What will you do now?

 

 

Steven

You head straight to the Talisman room and identify the camera on the table. You pick it up. The metal feels unnaturally cold to the touch, and you turn it about in your hands. Make a Intelligence + Crafts check to see if you're able to work it.

 

As you are able to search the rest of the room, you hear the front door shut and the clattering of keys. What will you do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even notice the beggar, he might as well be a feature of the sidewalk. "Well I suggest we get back to the task at hand. If we're to be up all night protecting this guy, I don't want to wear myself out running all over town until dark."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online