Valentine

Dark Souls 2

17 posts in this topic

So, how many of you guys are getting DS2 on March 11th or some time thereafter? I'm getting it on my 360, so if anyone else is getting it on that too, please send me a PM or by all means add your GT here specifically for hunting down some DS2 fun. But let's discuss the game in general. I've watched far too many hours of beta footage and i've come to understand a great deal of the changes in the game, and I think for the most part they look really good. If you don't know, i'll mention a few of them -

1) Healing works differently now. Estus Flasks are more like battle heals and you'll start off with just 1 of them. The majority of your healing outside of fights will come from consumables much like in Demon's Souls, called 'Life Gems' that regenerate health very slowly. Your Estus will no longer heal your white summoned white phantom buddies, but they will be able to use their own. 

2) Phantoms are no longer permanent summons. They are on a timer, of which they have a choice, controlled by two different sized soapstones that affect the amount of time they are in your world. The more enemies they kill, the more their time in your world is reduced. This way, the host is encouraged to do the majority of the work/killing, once the phantom has 'softened up' an enemy or taught the host how to do something. It will also encourage hosts and their phantoms to hunt down invaders quickly before they lose their advantage.

3) Spell-casters and dual-wielding are both viable now. Spell casting, though still working on a set number of uses, can now be refilled with a consumable item, meaning that you are not reliant on bonfires for refills, and so are no longer hampered by the constraints of a spell limit any more than a melee user is by the durability of their gear. Similarly, dual-wielding is now viable, as the attacks are actually different when dual-wielded and though they use up more stamina, and remove the choice of a shield, allow you to do a significantly larger amount of damage over a shorter amount of time. Choosing to either attack with individual weapons or even strike with both at the same time (imagine double zweihander's!!  >,<)

4) Some of the stats have been changed, and everything has a purpose now. Attunement now not only increases the number of spell casts but also the speed of your spellcasting. Vigor is now the stat that increases health. Vitality is now the stat that purely determines your equipment load. Strength is required to wield heavy weapon or armour, weapons that deal greater damage to stamina and also, it boosts your weapon's attack. Dexterity is used to wield weapons/armour that require finesse, and it boosts poison and bleed damage. Resistance now affects defence, poison and bleed resistance, as well as boosting the resistance to guard breaking (raising poise) - so it's actually useful now. Agility is a new stat that increases various movement effects, like general movement speed, rolling speed, how quickly you can raise your shield in general or even when you have been stun-locked, for example.

5) Magic works differently now. Not only are spells faster, and so, harder to dodge, they are also bundled together. There are now four types of magic, bundled with Intellect taking control of fire and soul magic while faith takes lightning/light and dark magic. You can now also aim your spells similarly to how you could with a bow, in first person (if you wish). Also, you can fire a heavier version of every spell if you press RT (R2), which does more damage but takes longer to cast and consumes more stamina.

6) You can no longer dodge invasions by simply remaining 'hollow'. Invasions will happen as long as you are connected to the internet, and you haven't used an item you can find in game at a bonfire to temporarily cease them. You start as human, and every time you die you lose 10% of your health up to a maximum of 50%, similar to Demon's Souls but as hollowing is a gradual process this makes more sense. So now, there is no real reward for remaining as a hollow, you are better off being human.

7) Backstabs are harder to perform as well as parrying. Backstabs are no longer the ridiculously easy thing to achieve, and in fact require the user to be in a certain place depending on the weapon they are using. For example, using a greatsword, a player has to be directly behind the target, but far enough away that they have room to perform the attack with the larger weapon, but a dagger-user has a wider arc to perform a possible backstab but also has to be right behind their target, or they won't be able to stab them. Parrying now takes time to use, so you won't be able to raise your shield at the last moment and deflect an attack, you will have to semi-predict an opponent's action in order to use it.

8) Covenants are playing a more integral role in DS2. They are easier to find and join, and are more distinct in their roles, each having their own advantages and disadvantages. For example, there are two covenants that work in tandem, one which when a member of the covenant is invaded by a hostile player, they will automatically summon a member of the other covenant to protect them in a sort of symbiotic relationship. That way, new or inexperienced players join the 'prey' covenant, so they are able to get extra help when attacked and 'guardian' covenant players who are more aggressive, experienced, etc. get to protect players and earn items and souls on a regular basis.

9) There is now voice chat in-game, but only if certain condition are met. You and the other person in question must both be wearing a certain ring. Then you must both have the option for voice chat in-game enabled and you can only voice chat with people in co-op. Invaders can't smack talk you, so don't worry. lol. 

10) There is now an option to align yourself with a God. The main purpose of which seems to be to make playing with your friends significantly easier. If both you and your friend choose the same God, then you will find one another's signs much, much easier. Hooray for jolly co-operation! Also, match-making in general should be a great deal easier as DS2 is run on dedicated servers, rather than peer to peer servers (player hosted). So you should find there will be a lot more messages, summon signs and bloodstains on the ground.  :3

There's plenty more but nothing I can think of right off the top of my head, but if you have questions I know the answer to, feel free to ask, and discuss your thoughts and hopes on Dark Souls 2 and your experiences with Demon's Souls or Dark Souls!! I hope there's an avid community of Souls fans here, and whatever platform you'll be playing on, we can discuss all Souls news here. 

JOLLY+COOPERATION_e879e5_3927833.jpg

Yes I am getting it (ps3 though) and I am very excited. I think some of the changes are good, some of them I'm a little meh about, but I think overall I will enjoy the game. This is really the only game I am looking forward to this year despite other good titles coming out (Metal Gear, FFX-HD release).

So what changes are you looking forward to and which ones are you unsure of or outright dislike?

I like that they are making backstabbing harder to perform & that a sorcery build will be more powerful in this game (I love that you will be able to cast spells in FP). I also like that you don't have to rely on bonfires to replenish magic. 

I'm not sure how I feel about the time limit on phantoms and wonder, does that apply to invaders, too? Are they on a time limit when you're invaded? 

I also don't looooveee the interface in this game. I played the beta and while it is a beautiful game, I feel like the menus were very confusing and ugly to (even in HD). They may have tweaked that since the test, though. 

Honestly though, even with my gripes or skepticism, I know I will love the game because it's Dark Souls and I love a good challenge. :)

I think in terms of the menus they're pretty well refined now. I mean the previous menus you had to scroll through hundreds of items to find the one you wanted, but now you can find them all sorted into the right categories, based on item type. I think the newer menus look good, but aye, only time will tell on that. As for phantom invasion, yes, it only applies to summoned phantoms. Invaders (I think) have an infinite amount of time to attack you, so the idea is that if you are going to get help and use it - you have to make use of it quickly. That way, the trouble for the invader is the possible extra players they might have to fight or avoid - and the problem for the host is the limited time they have that support.

I will officially have my copy of Dark Souls 2 by midnight tonight. I'm ridiculously excited about it.

I will officially have my copy of Dark Souls 2 by midnight tonight. I'm ridiculously excited about it.

Damn you! I have to wait until the 14th...

Damn you! I have to wait until the 14th...

Are you getting it for the Xbox? Or the PS3?

I'm getting mine for the PS3. I got the first one on PS3 and I can't bring myself to cross-platform sequels.

I'm getting mine on 360, cus I know thats where all my friends are gonna be getting it... and y'know, cus I dont have a PS3. lol. I have to wait until the 14th to get my copy too, but Thief is holding me over until then. Really looking forward to it though. Gonna make my first character a dual-wielder/sorcerer mix.

Getting mine on the ps3. If anyone wants to add me, my psn handle is Lady_Riddel. 

GAAAHHH SO EXCITED FOR THIS.

GAAAHHH SO EXCITED FOR THIS.

This is pretty much how I feel at the moment. I'm going with a dual wielder to the max! I'm so glad they've added this in this time round; dual wielding is just too cool to avoid.

It is sooooooooooo~o good! I'm really annoyed that I'm working nights tonight and tomorrow night because it means I can't play as much of it as I want...but then I am off for three days of pure Dark Souls-ing! Just defeated my first boss

The Last Giant. It was so much damn fun.

But as I left it today, I seem to have run out of places to go...all I've got is locked doors or massive falls. I suspect I'm being blind and have missed something obvious and tomorrow will be dedicated to finding out where the hell to go.

Dual wielding is so freaking awesome; I'm dodging, diving, slicing, and dicing like a bad ass and yet still die a fair number of times. Although I admit sometimes I'm an idiot who likes to roll of attack of a ledge and fall to be death like an idiot. :D My first death was such an event as I was trying out all my snazzy combos. I'm not sure what it is yet but this seems to be everything a sequel should be...familiar but many times better. Also, Drangleic is prettier to look at than Lordran. :D

Beat it a few days ago. Currently trying to beat the ancient dragon. And I thought Kalameet was tough. Hot damn.

Still going on my end although I do have the next 4 days to binge so I might get it done. I'm currently bouncing between two bosses trying to decide which one is easier to defeat.

The Royal Rat Authority and Big Ass two headed Spider (I can't remember the name at the mo').

It seems my personal combat weakness is when there's more that one person attempted to eat/gut/slice/crush/etc. me. I.e. Bosses and their minions. Most bosses I've been able to beat on the 3rd or 4th try but these current guys are a pain in my arse! But I am having a freaking brillinat time.