Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TriOctium

Romance of the Three Kingdoms [Discussion Topic]

16 posts in this topic

ROMANCE OF THE THREE KINGDOMS

Based on the popular card game, San Guo Sha

It is a time of political strife and military tension. The latest Emperor of China has received intelligence that rebel spies have been implanted within his court, and are currently plotting to kill him. Will he be able to root out who are his allies and who are his enemies before it is too late?

Premise

This game will be run pretty differently from the other Mafia games. Firstly, there will no longer be any Night Phases. There will only be 24 hour long Day Phases called Turns. In each Turn, every player may perform a variety of actions which will be explained further below. All character skills will be made known publicly at the beginning of the game, and there will be no hidden abilities. However, each individual player will have different conditions to win.

Character Actions & Stats

All characters possess a Health value as well as two Abilities. The Health value may change from character to character, but it is usually balanced against their abilities - the stronger the abilities, the lower the health, and vice versa. In addition, there are 2 types of actions you may take every Turn: Basic actions and Secondary actions.

There are two possible Basic actions: Strike and Vote. You can perform each action once in every turn, regardless of what else you do. So typically in a turn, you'd Strike someone else and cast a Vote on who you think should get the Turn Equipment. More information on equipment later.

Strike - Deal 1 damage to target player.

Vote - Vote for who you think should obtain the current equipment up for voting.

You can only perform 1 Secondary action a turn. However, Secondary actions are usually much stronger than Basic actions. All characters have access to the same set of normal Secondary actions. Character skills which require your activation are also considered as Secondary actions.

Wine - Restore 1 health to target player.

Firebomb - If the target has Wine used on him this turn, cancel one use of Wine on him and deal 1 more damage to him. 

Parry - Choose 1 player. Block all sources of Strike damage from that player.
Character Skills - Use a skill from your character list. Passive skills do not count as Secondary actions.

If your Character's health reaches zero, you die. All actions are taken at the same time, at the end of each Turn, so more than 1 player could die in the same turn. Basic Actions are to be done publicly in the thread, while Secondary Actions are to be PMed to me any time before the end of the Turn (unless otherwise stated, like in the Edict character skills). Actions are performed at the same time, and only the net damage will be dealt. Example: Liu Bei has 3 Health left. 4 players Strike him, while 2 players use Wine on him. The net result leaves Liu Bei at 1 Health, which means he survives this round.

Equipment

Every turn, a piece of Equipment will be placed up for players to Vote for. Players will Vote on who they think the Equipment should go to. Each player can only hold 1 piece of Equipment; if they obtain a new one, their old one is destroyed and replaced. Equipments are powerful items with effects that are as strong as character skills, so decide carefully who gets what. If you believe that the Equipment is too dangerous to be used by anyone, you can also vote for it to be destroyed.

A sample piece of equipment:

weaponguanshi.jpg

Titan Axe - Your Strikes deal 2 damage instead of 1.

Roles

There are 4 possible roles which you may get in this game: EmperorGeneral, Rebel and Traitor.

EMPEROR

zhugong_zhong.jpg

As the Emperor, your job is to survive the game and kill all Rebels and Traitors. Your role will be revealed to everyone at the start of the game. However, you are the only player who can choose between the character assigned to you, or one of the three Emperor characters which will be listed below. You will have a number of Generals working to protect you, so try to discover who they are as soon as possible. If you kill one of your Generals by mistake, you lose 2 health on the spot and will be unable to use any Secondary actions on the following Turn, so be careful.

GENERAL

zhongchen_zhong.jpg

As the General, your job is to protect the Emperor, as well as kill all Rebels and Traitors. You are able to lay your life down for your king, because even if you die in mid-game, as long as the Emperor wins, you will win along with him.

REBEL

fanzei_zhong.jpg

As the Rebel, your goal is simple: Kill the Emperor. Any other goal is merely a distraction from your true quest. Of course, your identity is hidden from everyone, so to build credibility you may wish to pretend to side with the Emperor before stabbing him in the back. Or you might rally your Rebel brethren and launch an all-out assault on the Emperor. Like the General, if you die before the game ends but the Emperor dies in the end, you still win.

TRAITOR

neijian_zhong.jpg

As the Traitor, your job is the most interesting: You have to be the last player alive. This means that you cannot let the Rebels kill the Emperor. The only way for you to win is to kill all the Rebels and Generals first (or cause them to kill each other through in-fighting) until you and the Emperor are the only two players left alive. You must then kill the Emperor in a one-to-one showdown. Do note that unlike the other three roles, multiple Traitors in the game are not allied with each other. Each Traitor wants to be the last man standing, and that means having to take out all other Traitors too.

EMPEROR CHARACTERS

As mentioned above, the Emperor gets to choose whether he wants to use the character given to him, or one of the three Emperor characters: Cao CaoLiu Bei or Sun Quan. Unlike the normal characters, which are designed to function in any role, these three Emperor characters are only suitable to be used in the Emperor role, and each of them have an Edict skill which allow them to test the allegiances of other players. In addition, these Emperor characters have additional health as compared to the normal characters. On the downside, their skills are usually considered inferior to the other characters' skills.

Cao Cao, the Warrior Emperor

CaoCaoBIG.jpg

Edict of War - Order someone to use Strike on another player. This is an additional Strike on top of his normal one. The order must be done publicly and the target can refuse you.

Villainous Hero - For each person that damages you, you may perform that many additional Strikes in the following Turn. Excess Strikes which are not used are cancelled at the end of the Turn. 

Liu Bei, the Ambitious Leader
shualiubei.jpg

Edict of Allegiance - Order all players to Heal you. This is in addition to their normal Secondary action. The Edict must be made publicly and players may refuse. All Heals used on you by other players restore 2 health instead of 1.
Unity - Any number of players can "give" their actions to you at any time. If they give you their Strike, you may perform additional Strikes that Turn. If they give you their Secondary actions, you may perform additional Secondary actions that Turn. Players that "give" actions to you heal 1 health each.

Sun Quan, the Virtuous Ruler
wusunquan.jpg

Edict of Loyalty - Order 1 player to take all damage you would take this turn. The Edict must be made publicly and the target player may refuse.
Charismatic Leadership - While at least one of your Generals is still alive, you can perform 2 Strikes or 2 Secondary actions per turn, but not both.

SIGNUPS ARE OPEN!

I'd like to specially invite Alisyn to play this game, because I did her a disfavor in the earlier game and I'd like to make it up to her. There'll be one slot in my game reserved for her unless she doesn't wish to participate. Other than that, everyone else is welcome to join! Ask your burning questions, and they shall be answered!

I knew it you really did adapt this for the forum

Dibs on Diao Chan-chan

Never knew Liu Bei can look so dashing in anime form.

This kinda reminds me of the cowboy card game we played in Herc's chalet. Do they work the same?

Yeah, they do. The card game which this is based off from, San Guo Sha, is basically an upgraded version of that cowboy card game (Bang!).

Hmmmmmm.

I enjoyed Bang!.

Will probably enjoy playing this too.

Dibs x2

Yeah, I'd be happy too to have Alisyn join us again. =)

Uh, about the game, so I guess we PM our actions to you?

And how will you work out the turn order?

Oh yes, I forgot to mention this in the post. Basic actions will be taken publicly in the thread, while Secondary actions will be PMed to me unless otherwise stated (like the Edict skills of the three Emperors). All actions (Basic and Secondary) will be performed at the same time.

Example: Liu Bei has 3 Health left. 4 players Strike him, while 2 players use Wine on him. The net result leaves Liu Bei at 1 Health, which means he survives this round.

Awhhhhhh..... Romance of the Three Kingdoms.... Liu Bei...... </3

I did say I didn't intend to play any games for the time being, though, so.... -cry forever-

But thanks for thinking of me, Time.

Sending out the character roles now!

EDIT: All the roles have been sent out, and the game has started. Check it out here: http://www.surreality-rp.com/topic/610-romance-of-the-three-kingdoms-turn-1/

EDIT EDIT: To clarify, some character skills are passive and do not require any activation. These skills are NOT considered Secondary actions when they are activated, and you may still go on to use another skill. Other skills require a specific activation; those are considered Secondary actions and will be taken at the end of the Turn unless otherwise stated.

Edited by TriOctium

I ask that you put this info:

Character Actions & Stats

All characters possess a Health value as well as two Abilities. The Health value may change from character to character, but it is usually balanced against their abilities - the stronger the abilities, the lower the health, and vice versa. In addition, there are 2 types of actions you may take every Turn: Basic actions and Secondary actions.

There are two possible Basic actions: Strike and Vote. You can perform each action once in every turn, regardless of what else you do. So typically in a turn, you'd Strike someone else and cast a Vote on who you think should get the Turn Equipment. More information on equipment later.

Strike - Deal 1 damage to target player.

Vote - Vote for who you think should obtain the current equipment up for voting.

You can only perform 1 Secondary action a turn. However, Secondary actions are usually much stronger than Basic actions. All characters have access to the same set of normal Secondary actions. Character skills which require your activation are also considered as Secondary actions.

Wine - Restore 1 health to target player.

Firebomb - If the target has Wine used on him this turn, cancel one use of Wine on him and deal 1 more damage to him. 

Parry - Choose 1 player. Block all sources of Strike damage from that player.
Character Skills - Use a skill from your character list. Passive skills do not count as Secondary actions.

If your Character's health reaches zero, you die. All actions are taken at the same time, at the end of each Turn, so more than 1 player could die in the same turn. Basic Actions are to be done publicly in the thread, while Secondary Actions are to be PMed to me any time before the end of the Turn (unless otherwise stated, like in the Edict character skills). Actions are performed at the same time, and only the net damage will be dealt. Example: Liu Bei has 3 Health left. 4 players Strike him, while 2 players use Wine on him. The net result leaves Liu Bei at 1 Health, which means he survives this round.

into the first post of the game thread as well. I've had to have both threads open currently, to check these specifics. So it'd be easier if it's all in the game thread