Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elphys

The Elphys Anime Review!

31 posts in this topic

Welcome to 
The Elphys Anime Review!                                                    â˜†

Here on the Anime Review, I will post about past and currently airing anime selections that I found to be just plain great! 

I am an avid fan of the art and storytelling present in anime and seek to provide an honest and positive critique of those I choose to post. 

I want to help bridge the gap between those who are obsessed with anime and those who aren't sure about what all the hype is about.

After I make an anime review, I encourage all of Surreality's members to chime in with their thoughts and opinions!

Review Format                                                                                                         â˜†

ANIME TITLE​

Anime News Network Synopsis

Genres:

Episodes:

My Opinion

My Rating: -/5

Have Suggestions?                                                                                                  â˜†
If you want me to write a review of a particular anime, please send me a Private Message with your suggested show or movie! If I have seen it, I will totally write a review.

Review Links                                                                                                            â˜†

Cowboy Bebop

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Nagi no Asukara

Free!

Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers)

2 people like this

COWBOY BEBOP    

tumblr_mwylf4lAf91sly2v8o1_500.gif

Anime News Network Synopsis:

• Spike Spiegel, a bounty Hunter with a dark past, lives on bounty to bounty, barely making it each time, or not making it at all. His partners Jet Black, Faye Valentine, Ed and Ein the dog all help him in his adventures from planet to planet.

Genres:

• Action, Drama, Science Fiction

Episodes:

My Opinion

• My opinion about this series is that I'm biased about this series. I consider it to be my all time favorite and for good reason. It not only has a cast of amazing characters, but also a plot that slowly builds while allowing you to empathize with those characters and an original soundtrack that is composed of pure genius. Spike Spiegel is the main character, he is a bounty hunter who travels throughout our solar system with an ex-cop named Jet Black. They are always struggling with money and often rely on quick jobs and get rich quick schemes to keep food on the table. Along the way they pick up a gambling criminal named Faye Valentine who decides to stick around as a self appointed partner and an enigmatic and slightly insane, teenage, computer genius named Ed. Together they run into all kinds of trouble and a ghost from Spike's past is never too far away. 
  • The soundtrack is something else. Composed by Yoko Kanno with help and featuring bands such as the Seatbelts, she created a distinctly musical song set that will keep you listening over and over again. Themes of Jazz and the Blues are prevalent as well as operatic, ethnic, and other styles as well. I'll never get sick of the opening theme, "Tank!"
  • All in all, this anime is definitely worth the watch! 

My Rating: 5/5

1 person likes this

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann    

tumblr_mgoxw6mLJ31qdjbzko1_500.gif

• In their closed-off underground village, Kamina and Simon chafe at the limits imposed by the village elder. Yet all this will change, when Simon stumbles across a fantastic device—just as the village's peace is broken by a violent intrusion.

Genres:

• Action, Comedy, Drama, Science Fiction, Mecha

Episodes:

My Opinion

• The word that comes to mind when I think about Gurren Lagann is epic. It is a tale that starts at the meager beginnings of a sheltered life that explodes into a future shattering adventure. This series is spectacularly colorful, funny, and heart-wrenching. The characters are charismatic and likable, just the type you like to root for. The villains are imposing and flamboyant and you never quite know which direction you are going to be jolted into next. This series was a real surprise to me. I am usually one to stay away from mecha themed anime, but I found out that it was so much more than that. Once I started watching, it was hard to take a break. If you're looking for something packed with action, comedy, crazy giant robot faces, this is definitely the anime for you!

My Rating: 4.5/5

I HIGHLY APPROVE OF THIS INITIATIVE!

Elphys, have you considered contributing to Surreality's Tumblr page? (you can see the icons of our social media at the top right corner) We're always looking for blogs and columns by our members to put up. If you like, you can write a weekly anime review which Kyo can put up on Tumblr.

Yes, I do intend to review more recent and underrated series and films, I just wanted to start with some old, well known titles to garner attention. 

I HIGHLY APPROVE OF THIS INITIATIVE!

Elphys, have you considered contributing to Surreality's Tumblr page? (you can see the icons of our social media at the top right corner) We're always looking for blogs and columns by our members to put up. If you like, you can write a weekly anime review which Kyo can put up on Tumblr.

That sounds like it might be a fun project. I could focus on more of the recent seasonal updates as well as commentary on long running series like Naruto, One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, and Uchuu Kyoudai. Also, Natsume Yuujinchou... omg, is one of my all time favorites. I am so glad to see another admirer of that series. 

Nagi No Asukara    

tumblr_mucddpJO5a1ske40xo1_500.gif

• Long ago, humanity lived in the sea. But the humans who longed for the land left the sea behind. They cast aside the special raiment they'd been given by the sea god that let them live in the ocean. The thinking of the sea humans and the land humans became as separate as the places they lived, and as countless time passed, they forgot they were once one people. This will change as the land-dwelling human Tsumugu Kihara befriends four students who live in a village at the bottom of the sea.

Genres:

• Comedy, Drama, Fantasy, Romance

Episodes:

My Opinion

• This series is still currently running, but from what I've seen so far has been very endearing. The characters are young and their problems seem more mature than they need to be, but at that age dealing with love and the idea of growing up and changing can be a trying time. There is a growing underlying threat present during most of the series that keeps you feeling concerned for the future of the characters and their happiness, but their optimism keeps hope alive even after disaster strikes. I can say that I look forward to each new episode, because I want to see how the story concludes and whether all the loose ends will be tied up nicely. We will just have to see. 

My Rating: 4/5

Free!   

tumblr_mqdlrbf7H61rzc7zpo1_500.gif

• Four boys named Haruka, Makoto, Nagisa and Rin all participated in a swimming tournament shortly before graduating elementary school and later parted ways. Years later, they reunite when Rin challenges Haruka to a race and wins. Not wanting to be defeated so easily, Haruka gathers Makoto and Nagisa and a new recruit named Rei to form the Iwatobi High School Swimming Club.

Genres:

• Tournament, Comedy, Drama, Sports

Episodes:

My Opinion

• All I can do is laugh every time I see anything related to this anime. It has been wildly popular with anime fans all over the world and continues to pop up from time to time on my Tumblr feed. More specifically, the shounen-ai fanbase has taken hold of basically every aspect of this show and run wild with it. I can't really blame them though, the sheer amount of fan service body shots and long emotional gazes between characters make them easy to slash. I can't lie, I boarded that ship. The plot of the show was pretty basic, centering around friendship and rivalry. I found the main character Haru, to be pretty boring, but then again I never cared for characters with little personality. But I forgive that because the rest of the characters are far more passable and lively. They are what really makes this anime fun to watch. One thing I was particularly impressed by, however, was the animation during swimming scenes. Kyoto Animation, did a great job! Despite it's minor flaws, the eye candy and entertainment value makes it worth the watch! I'm interested in what they'll do with the second season! 

My Rating: 3.5/5

Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers)   

tumblr_mf552mqIkC1qdc388o1_500.gif

• When they were young, the brothers Mutta and Hibito promised each other they would become astronauts. Now, in 2025, Hibito has followed his dream to become the first Japanese on the moon, but Mutta has just been fired from his job. His brother reminds him of their childhood promise, and Mutta decides once again to aim for space.

Genres:

• Science Fiction, Drama

Episodes:

My Opinion

• Have I ever spoken to you guys about how in love I am with this anime? No? Well, you're about to hear it now. I have been following this anime since its beginning and have been faithfully tuning in every week for the last 94 or so weeks to watch it. First of all, the theme of this show is space and the very human desire to reach it. It is focused on Earth and the struggles of those who earnestly aim to make a difference in other's lives by becoming astronauts. The story is centered around two brother's who from childhood made a promise to someday become astronauts and walk on the moon, after they both see a UFO one night. Mutta, the older brother is the main character and I really love him because he's not your typical main character. He's weird and awkward and funny, but very smart and gains confidence and experience through the series that really makes you relate to him. I sometimes forget that I am watching an animation with this series, because it is very much set up like a live drama and the emotions and obstacles presented are very realistic. Another thing I absolute love about this series is the presence of racial diversity and strong, smart, female characters! I found myself very easily invested in the characters and their fate and when it comes to an anime, that is the thing that I love the most. Right now it's set at 100 episodes, but that can't be the end of the line, so I hope with all my being that they decide to continue on with a second installment to conclude the story properly. 

My Rating: 5/5

I love Nagi no Asukara <3

Me too! I have anxiety about what's going to happen next! AHHH!

Are you going to review any anime you didn't like, by any chance?

I am going to be reviewing a lot of different series and films. While I generally prefer to write about the ones I like, I won't have completely positive opinions on all of them. I am also open for series suggestion and I hope for and encourage discussion on any and all of the animes reviewed. Otherwise it's just me ranting to myself and that's pretty sad.

Uchuu Kyoudai has some really good songs.

Yeah, it really does. My favorite is the 2nd ending Kokuhaku. <3

Eureka by Sukima Switch and Subarashiki Sekai by Rake does it for me.

Are there terrible animes with otherwise good OPs and EDs? Those are the ones I tend to miss. >.>

Yes, definitely. I mean, look at Sword Art Online. =.=

*coughs* I also quite like the songs for Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai, but the show is so ecchi I can't continue watching it, much as I'd like to for Misato Aki's songs.

Another striking example of this is Toriko. The art looks ludicrous yet the show manages to get songs from top acts everytime. A show about a muscular man wanting to cook can't conceivably have gotten songs by F T Island, Yamashita Tomohisa and get this... Mizuki Nana.

Nana Mizuki and a bunch of big names did songs for Valvrave the Liberator. And that show was ridiculous, and not even in a good way.

And Supercell and Hiroyuki Sawano were wasted on the dreck that is Guilty Crown. For the unaware, Sawano is the guy who composed for Sengoku Basara, Gundam Unicorn, Blue Exorcist, Attack on Titan and KILL LA MOTHERF***ING KILL, so obviously I feel he's kinda wasted on that show.

Similarly, Yuki Kajiura composed for Sword Art Online. And ripped off a good deal of it from her previous work Fate/Zero.

Valvrave was at least pumped up with good seiyuu etcetera, so the combination was expected. Did Mizuki Nana even voice in Toriko? In fact, Toriko wasn't even heavily advertised.

And I'd like to chime in here to say that Ao no Exorcist SUCKS! UVERworld was wasted on it!

Wow, you guys. I feel so behind in my anime.

;_; I liked Ao no Exorcist. I liked that one ed...Wired Life?