Telperion

OPEN Surreal*RPG - reboot!

298 posts in this topic

Surreal*RPG - the reboot/throwback (maybe?)
†RP Thread

Allow me to set your stage.

You're at your computer doing forum-y things, just like you are right now. You browse a bit, and come across a new role-play. Why, it's called "Surreal*RPG," imagine that! You can't say you're sure why the asterisk is there (unless you are), but behind the fourth wall I'll tell you that it's because this site was once Surreal*Twilight. (Not entirely accurate, because obviously it's a completely new site - perhaps a better statement would be to say that this collection of forum RPers once congregated at a different site called Surreal*Twilight.)

Anyway - let's put that wall back - it's this epic quest that involves saving the world. Of course. With dragons? Sure! With power-hungry necromancers? Perhaps. With this one guy who made all these rings but kept one ring as the most powerful one to rule - wait. No, not that.

There will be customized classes! There will be optional races (if you want - if not, you can be plain old human).

There will be…you as the role-player, and not a character you made up! Obviously, your real-world abilities might end up dialed up to eleven, because let's face it, the real world doesn't really prepare you for epic medieval questing.

So of course you think long and hard about what you want to be - or perhaps what you believe yourself to truly actually be inside - and fill out that character sheet. Oh yeah. It's super sweet, it's so awesome, it's - pulling you into the virtual world? (Could be awkward if you decided to submit that character sheet at work - which you shouldn't do, but everyone does.)

Okay, some of you saw that one coming, let's be honest.

Anyway, there's your stage. You, sitting in your silly little costume (you thought it would look cool, but sometimes things are best left to the imagination), inside a virtual world.

Time to find out if they do permadeath!

---

tl;dr: You are yourself (but suitably more awesome for the genre), and are taking part in a totally epic quest to save the world! Or is it actually the forum website? You can't quite tell.

The character you're making would, ideally, be the closest to what you yourself feel comfortable publishing on the internet about who you really are. Something like that. Basically you, with a class made just for you, by you. Obviously, you will have powers beyond the ken of mortal men. Or at least, normal, mundane mortal men.

Of course, our newbie area will have to be the Introduce Yourself! forum. Because why not. Then we'll start killing mobs in the Student Roleplaying forest, and I'm pretty sure things will just spiral out of control from there. Man, can you imagine if every few posts we just ran randomly through someone else's student RP and defeated monsters (characters, I guess) from it? That...actually sounds pretty insane and yet more than a little awesome. Not sure if it's doable. (If you are interested, we can discuss further.)

Because I've always wanted to, I'd like to implement a super simple dice-rolling combat system. It's just an optional thing to spice up those dreadfully boring random encounters. See last section of post.

(Does anyone know if you can do that in the code in these forums? These new ones are so darn shiny, I don't even know.)

In your character sheet, please include (at the least, you can include more) the following items, for everyone's reference:
  • Name (could be yours in real life, but certainly not necessary)
  • Forum Username (could also be yours - ideally it would be, I suppose, to truly embrace the experience)
  • Race (if not human)
  • Appearance
  • Personality and/or History (optional - see Change section below)
  • Class (and skills of that class)

---

And now, I will be fielding questions. Or complaints. It's been so long since I've made my own RP discussion thread. /nostalgic tear

Questions!

Q: Are we starting at level one?
A: Nay, instead we shall base our starting levels on how many "dots" we have. (You know, those rank things that increase with your post count.) Eg. Wst has four, so he starts at level four. I have zero, so I'm...very lame. I think this will be in a system with a level cap of 20.

Q: Will there be a posting order? Or a required minimum speed?
A: Nay, instead we shall have it be as free form as necessary to manage the already rather large number of people who are interested. You can do a one-time cameo appearance if you're too busy. I myself will probably barely be able to manage one post a day here. I'll likely average five posts a week? Either way, don't worry about slowing other people down. It might spoil the rhythm a bit, but I think momentum is more important.

Q: Who the heck is our Big Bad?

A: Basically, a group of hackers have made their way into Surreality and are kind of flinging feces all over the place. Their motives are unclear. But their plan may involve summoning an Eldritch abomination and losing control over it?

Q: What does the world look like?

A: Personally, I want to call it the Surreality Multiverse. And well, the worlds that are actual worlds look like worlds. They each have several symbolically-decorated doors that lead to several nondescript hallways, which are also all interwoven into a big central hub network. That's the fast travel option. The worlds are also all side-by-side in the style of a patchwork blanket, though distances tend to vary and be very unquantifiable. Any out-of-character threads or boards are kind of random and a little chaotic, at times.

Q: Why are our characters in Surreality?

A: Because the multiverse, having existed long enough to evolve some sort of primitive hindbrain, is using its power to draw in any likely candidates that can help stop the defilement of its worlds. By those hackers.

Change
So I would like to put forth this option: instead of putting up a character sheet here and then starting with the RP, you can, as first post, essentially write up yourself filling out the character sheet. What better way to get into character?

You don't have to if you would prefer not to, or if that's a little too meta for your tastes. It's just an option.

Links to Other Posts (I don't like having over-long first posts)

* Aforementioned Dice-Rolling System with creature template. (Still hopeful that the forums have that encoded. But if not, meh.)

PCs Involved

1. TriOctium: Chrono Draconis TriOctium
2. Telperion: Meldream Telperion (alias Amanda)

3. Alisyn: Alisyn
4. Wstfgl: Wstfgl

5. FeatherKey_Fate: Kate

6. Noia: Noia

7. Solyeuse: Solyeuse Skyseeker

8. Asura: no sheet yet

Count me in!

A quick question: Will we all be starting out as level 1 newbies? Or can we have different levels at the start?

Cute idea! 

Interested in hearing more about your 'super simple dice combat rolling system' though. 

I hope it's not toooo technical  :ph34r:

This.... sounds like something i might toooootally be interested in... but i think id like to lurk in the back a little bit with my head down and try not to draw attention to myself while I decide for certain if I grasp the wole idea...

as it stands, my interest is piqued! do, go on!

I was in the last time, and I sure as hell am in now.

Prepare for explosions!

OF COURSE

I mean, why won't I want to be a DUAL WIELDING WAND-SLINGING WALKING NUCLEAR WEAPON?

If we start at level one, I can only toss piddly little fireballs instead of making EVERYTHING explode *sob*

1 person likes this

This is going to end up like another Aeiluna Online, I just know it. Maybe I won't play a support class this time.

Don't jinx it!

You should play your true calling! Which means... You'll end up playing Yuudai with time powers cranked up to eleven or something...

Dammit >.>

That was exactly what I was going to play. I'M GETTING PREDICTABLE

So. If my character is supposed to be me, do I choose RL Alisyn or Online Alisyn as a template for my personality? xD

/interested in joining regardless

Goodness me, this will be fun.

Count me in!

A quick question: Will we all be starting out as level 1 newbies? Or can we have different levels at the start?

Hm. Now that I think about it, wouldn't it make sense for people with graduate status to start off a bit more powerful than a student? Oh man, and what if your power level was based on the number of posts you had? Maybe not to the exponential extent that corresponds to how many posts give you a new rank, but like...I have no dots, so I'm like the newbest newb. Wst has four dots, so he can start out at level four. Out of an assumed level cap of, shall we say, 20?

I don't really intend to limit the number of participants in the RP, too, making it more of a "jump in whenever" type thing.

Cute idea! 

Interested in hearing more about your 'super simple dice combat rolling system' though. 

I hope it's not toooo technical  :ph34r:

It's just gonna be "roll 1d6" with optional +1 for prepping an action (which means taking up one post to only prep, and not kill things), I think. More to come. Working on it after this post.

This.... sounds like something i might toooootally be interested in... but i think id like to lurk in the back a little bit with my head down and try not to draw attention to myself while I decide for certain if I grasp the wole idea...

as it stands, my interest is piqued! do, go on!

Awesome! If you have any questions, of course, please ask them.

So. If my character is supposed to be me, do I choose RL Alisyn or Online Alisyn as a template for my personality? xD

/interested in joining regardless

Whichever one feels more natural to you to be writing, or whichever you think would show through best when put in such a situation.

Notice to all:

Made one small change to original post. I'll let you know whenever I change anything up there, but that is where all information generally will go.

Hm. Now that I think about it, wouldn't it make sense for people with graduate status to start off a bit more powerful than a student? Oh man, and what if your power level was based on the number of posts you had? Maybe not to the exponential extent that corresponds to how many posts give you a new rank, but like...I have no dots, so I'm like the newbest newb. Wst has four dots, so he can start out at level four. Out of an assumed level cap of, shall we say, 20?

OH MAN

I'm in.

OH MAN

I'm in.

Ooh. I bet being a mod gives you special banhammer privs superpowers.

My disadvantage is that I have literally NO idea how the whole dice thing works. I've always just had a silent unspoken agreement with my coauthors that if either if us god mods or does anything unreasonable, we are completely within rights to put their parities back in check or drop the whole RP.

Is there anything in particular I'm supposed to know?

My disadvantage is that I have literally NO idea how the whole dice thing works. I've always just had a silent unspoken agreement with my coauthors that if either if us god mods or does anything unreasonable, we are completely within rights to put their parities back in check or drop the whole RP.

Is there anything in particular I'm supposed to know?

You have no idea how it works because no one else does, either! I'm basing it off of this other RP place I used to frequent. Don't worry, all shall be revealed as soon as I make my next post, which will be the Dice Roll post.

Also, dice rolling is optional. Anyone who doesn't want to use the system doesn't have to, and I doubt it will really be a problem because we know not to godmod.

(I apologize for the double post, but this actually makes things neater for me.)

Disclaimer: I did not come up with this system by myself. It has been used in another forum. I am not claiming credit for this. It came from Valucre, another forum RP site.

Roll a D6, Roll a D6 [links to YouTube music video]

Make a roll somewhere (the OOC thread? shrug), somehow (randomizer online, your own actual dice, whatever), and then write based on the following chart:

1 - You failed, miserably (might I even say...critically?). If in combat, take a hit from what you are fighting. You are in the deep end. (That's bad.)
2 - You failed. You take minor damage.
3 - You succeeded doing one minor action.
4 - You succeeded doing one average action.
5 - You succeeded doing one average action.
6 - You succeed awesomely, doing one greater action.

You can prep for one post, which will then add +1 to your dice roll. Most likely whatever you're fighting will still be wanting to kill you, though, so do take that into count.

You can basically "trade" actions as follows:
Two minor actions = one average action
Two average actions = one greater action

Dem NPC Monsters

These are some tiers for monsters and how many/what type of actions it takes to kill one.

[scrub Tier] one minor action. Eg. rats, kobolds, regular spiders, unskilled humans, etc.
[Low Tier] one average action. Eg. ghouls, wolves, skeletons, etc.
[Mid Tier] two average actions. Eg. dire creatures, gargoyles, trained humans, giant spiders, etc.
[High Tier] three greater actions. Eg. giants, teen dragons, lesser demons, trolls, etc.
[Epic Tier] ?! actions. Eg. adult dragons, greater demons, Sauron, other Big Bads, etc.

Apart from all that, (?! actions meaning it will probably be a plot-significant kill, so we'll want to discuss its death,) do also take into account basic weaknesses/resistances. Eg. a fire elemental or something will probably take double damage from water attacks, but a water demon won't care at all.

And the higher tier the creature, the harder it hits. So be careful in those boss fights.

Final caveat the first: You don't have to correspond one dice-based success to one successful attack your character makes. You could, for example, have your character spend time (aka posts) exchanging blows, and once you roll enough to kill the thing you're fighting your character can take it out in one well-placed (or incredibly lucky?) blow.

Final caveat the second: You don't have to use this system! You can just do whatever you usually do when you have your characters in combat, and exercise your own judgment.

Creature Template

[B]Name:[/B][B]Tier:[/B][B]Size: [/B][B]Style:[/B] (how it fights, eg. if in a group, does it go for the weakest or strongest first, at what point (if any) will it run away, etc.)[B]Attacks:[/B][B]Abilities:[/B] (including weaknesses and resistances)[B]Description:[/B]

I really did enjoy our last foray into S*RPG...  Lots of memorable stuff. Among other things, there was the accidental making of Wst into a god...

I like the rolling idea.  adds a bit more randomness to the pot.

So would this be in continuity with the S*RPG of old?  Crossover events? alternate timeline?   Perhaps a "what could have been" type of story... or the events happened and concluded, now living on as only distant memories, forgotten even by the heroes themselves.

Im just babbling anymore, but yeah. Im up for it, I think.  Dont want to let this get away from me ^^

I'd be up for the rp if youd have me. Though im not quite as active as I once was xD

So if you dont mind including a slower poster, I'm your man!

I really did enjoy our last foray into S*RPG...  Lots of memorable stuff. Among other things, there was the accidental making of Wst into a god...

I like the rolling idea.  adds a bit more randomness to the pot.

So would this be in continuity with the S*RPG of old?  Crossover events? alternate timeline?   Perhaps a "what could have been" type of story... or the events happened and concluded, now living on as only distant memories, forgotten even by the heroes themselves.

Im just babbling anymore, but yeah. Im up for it, I think.  Dont want to let this get away from me ^^

I'd be up for the rp if youd have me. Though im not quite as active as I once was xD

So if you dont mind including a slower poster, I'm your man!

Sure thing I'd have you! I'm pretty vague on all the details that happened in the last one, myself, but I would love it if we referenced some of the stuff that happened. Perhaps this is an alternate timeline of increased oppression brought on by the big bad? Who knows?

In terms of posting speed, this will be more free form than other things I've done in the past. No posting order, definitely. Heck, we might even add another layer of meta and comment on how someone's character is stuck in time while we're waiting for their slow poster. We'll see how it goes. But honestly, I won't be a very fast poster myself, considering I'm actually supposed to be working right now. Good thing I can multitask.

Ooh- I'm certainly intrigued by this dice stuff- as it means anything goes! I might try to adhere to such rules and chance, whilst also keeping my own biased (yet fair) free writing up my sleeve in case I get too confused.

But I'm excited for this! Count me in!

I assume we are all contributing beasties and villains that are in need of a good slaying? It was my understanding that the worlds contained in their respective threads will provide the wonderlands for our avatar selves to fall into, yes?

Ooh- I'm certainly intrigued by this dice stuff- as it means anything goes! I might try to adhere to such rules and chance, whilst also keeping my own biased (yet fair) free writing up my sleeve in case I get too confused.

But I'm excited for this! Count me in!

I assume we are all contributing beasties and villains that are in need of a good slaying? It was my understanding that the worlds contained in their respective threads will provide the wonderlands for our avatar selves to fall into, yes?

Indeed, yes. You speak most truly. This is going to be a long thread.

EDIT: I'm thinking I'll make a separate bestiary somewhere else, like in that one forum for character profiles.

Edited by Telperion

This looks pretty fun, but I notice you've tagged it with "magic". Considering we're supposed to be, well, us, I fail to see how any of us get magic at all.

This looks pretty fun, but I notice you've tagged it with "magic". Considering we're supposed to be, well, us, I fail to see how any of us get magic at all.

Allow me to quote myself.

There will be…you as the role-player, and not a character you made up! Obviously, your real-world abilities might end up dialed up to eleven, because let's face it, the real world doesn't really prepare you for epic medieval questing.

To be fair, that bit was in the flavor section, before the tl;dr business.

Edit: Besides, where's the fun in being yourself with no magic?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead