Telperion

OPEN Surreal*RPG - reboot!

298 posts in this topic

But if none of us have magic in the first place, how do we dial it up to eleven? I mean, I guess some things might make sense - say, perhaps if you have a medical degree, you get healing magic, but what about guys who throw lightning bolts and dark matter? I want to throw lightning bolts and dark matter .-.

1 person likes this

But if none of us have magic in the first place, how do we dial it up to eleven? I mean, I guess some things might make sense - say, perhaps if you have a medical degree, you get healing magic, but what about guys who throw lightning bolts and dark matter? I want to throw lightning bolts and dark matter .-.

As do we all. And you can! Really, this is as much wish-fulfillment as actual based-on-yourself superpowers. I'm using my forum username(s) as well as one bizarre real-life tendency as a springboard off of which to get some notion of what custom class(es) I want. It might help that we as a whole will probably start off fairly mundane with more low-magic abilities. Then as we progress in the RP, we can have more drastic and/or high-magic stuff.

Such as it is, I call TVTropes references, sleep-related powers, and one turning-into-a-shiny-silver-tree power.

I'm going to play the Retired Time Traveler of the Holy Triumvirate, with my powers inexplicably locked because of "level requirements". I do like the idea of mods having special abilities, yes. ;)

Our characters will probably know each other like how we know each other on the site, correct?

I'm going to play the Retired Time Traveler of the Holy Triumvirate, with my powers inexplicably locked because of "level requirements". I do like the idea of mods having special abilities, yes. ;)

Our characters will probably know each other like how we know each other on the site, correct?

Yes, probably. Inasmuch as one knows another through the interwebs. But actually yes. We'll recognize usernames and such.

Oh! Should we post character profiles detailing our story-selves here? Or will they, too, have a character library to live in?

Also, will we submitting bad-guys and story settings for the pot somewhere, or will you just bring to our attentions the next local and players to pit ourselves against?

Also also, what was the final verdict about how far we are allowed to take the fantastical aspects of our story-selves? Or is that subject to our god-like discretion as well *grin*

I suppose I could just calm down and wait for you to outline all the things...

My character is pretty much going to be a retired god. XD

I vote we do anything we want, as long as everyone else is okay with it.

Oh! Should we post character profiles detailing our story-selves here? Or will they, too, have a character library to live in?

Also, will we submitting bad-guys and story settings for the pot somewhere, or will you just bring to our attentions the next local and players to pit ourselves against?

Also also, what was the final verdict about how far we are allowed to take the fantastical aspects of our story-selves? Or is that subject to our god-like discretion as well *grin*

I suppose I could just calm down and wait for you to outline all the things...

You can go ahead and post your character sheet here.

You can also go ahead and suggest any enemies and story setting you wish here. This won't be an I-am-the-GM RP, it'll be more of a cooperative storytelling RP, I guess.

You can do whatever you like and think is balanced, when it comes to the magic your character does or does not possess.

I vote we do anything we want, as long as everyone else is okay with it.

Pretty much this.

@Anyone: If you think of a question that I haven't answered, ask it, because I probably haven't thought of it.

I have a few must-visit RPs: Fuyukaba Academy: Demon Hunters, and Sorcerers.

We should probably leave Sorcerers to the end though. The power levels in that RP are cranked up to a hundred and eleven.

Ah, that reminds me. Since I'm all new and stuff and haven't had time to browse around a whole lot, I will need some recommendations (as above) for threads we should totally hit up.

Here's me! I listed all of my abilities here, but most of them will be disabled at the start and will be unlocked through the course of the RP for balance purposes.

Chrono Draconis TriOctium:

Name: Chrono Draconis TriOctium, Retired Time Traveler of the Holy Triumvirate

CaptainAwesomeColoured.png

Appearance: There are two things that one would notice about TriOctium at first glance - his badass longcoat and the mask over his face. He always wears a huge longcoat that covers most of his other clothes wherever he goes, whether he's attempting to save the world or go swimming. Many Triumvirate historians have conjectured that TriOctium may possess an infinite number of longcoats, allowing him to replace the one he is wearing instantaneously, at any time. Others say he only owns one, invincible longcoat which has the added benefit of protecting him from harm. Whichever the case, it would be a rare sight to see TriOctium in anything other than his longcoat.

His mask is just as peculiar. He seems to wear a different mask for every occasion, never revealing his true face to anyone. Even if he takes off his mask, there will inevitably be another mask behind it. To weak-minded beings, TriOctium may appear to turn into the object or person who is portrayed in his mask, although this "disguise" is not foolproof. However, in battle, TriOctium dons a pitch black mask with fluorescent blue Tron Lines streaking across the middle, reminiscent of a certain game character's helmet.

Background (if applicable): Chrono Draconis TriOctium has existed since the beginning of time. However, whether he was born at the beginning of time is unknown. Due to his ability to travel in time, he has gained much from all that history has to offer (whether past, present or future). He is one of the three founders of the Church of the Holy Triumvirate, a fanatical guild dedicated to the ideals of perfect grammar, spelling and vocabulary.

Personality: A generically kind character, he usually gives helpful advice to those who ask. However, when it comes to 'doing something', he can get a little lazy at times... He enjoys jokes and debates, and has a habit of arguing with a person just to test his argumentative skills and to see how the person argues back. Time follows the Rule of Cool very strictly, to the point that almost every action that he does simply has to be awesome or impressive. As such, he is capable of pulling off many seemingly inhumane feats, although this has a downside as well: if he is deprived of awesomeness, he will go into a state of angst and depression.

LOL! Magic: LOL! Magic, which is said to originate from the Holy Triumvirate, is a unique branch of magic which draws its power from humor. The more humorous the situation is, the more powerful LOL! Magic users become. Being one of the members of the Holy Triumvirate, TriOctium is exempt from this limitation - for he is one of the sources of LOL! Magic itself. Using LOL! Magic, TriOctium may perform many attacks, including the ones listed below.

Everything Is Better With Energy - Part of LOL! Magic involves the manipulation of what experts have termed PURE ENERGY, and TriOctium is a natural at this. Whether it be conjuring up weapons made of energy to firing gigantic lasers from his hands, he can perform all of these as long as they are flashy enough.

Beam of Condescending Light - As the name suggests, this beam of light is very condescending. Yes, it can and will insult you in any way possible. Apart from that, the Beam of Condescending Light can be summoned whenever TriOctium wishes, and is able to instantly burn enemies to a nice, well-done crisp within a matter of seconds.

Exterminatus - By concentrating LOL! magic at a certain area, TriOctium can cause a satisfying explosion to occur instantly. Side effects to prolonged exposure of this explosion include mild fainting spells, giddiness, loss of blood, death, and bad breath. The explosion also comes with a nice smoke cloud, which may sometimes form into a shape of a giant middle finger.

Unlimited Sword Works - Another instance of LOL! Magic is the conjuration or summoning of physical weapons to aid the LOL! Magic user. In TriOctium's case, he is particularly gifted in the summoning of swords of any kind, ranging from tiny daggers to futuristic lightsabers. In addition to creating them, he can also control their movements with his LOL! Magic alone, allowing him to wield multiple swords at once. His favourite technique creates a whirlwind of swords around him or his enemy.

Time Manipulation - A more specialized branch of LOL! magic, TriOctium has the ability to move freely through time. He also has the ability to transport any number of people together with him. Other than travelling through time, he can also manipulate it - slow it down, speed it up or cause it to stop completely. One particular usage of this ability is known as the "Quick-Time Battle", where TriOctium manipulates the threads of time using mystical objects he calls 'imaginary buttons'. During combat, the Quick-Time Battle skill allows him to perform complicated, powerful and often completely ridiculous attacks and dodges as long as he presses the right 'imaginary buttons' at the right time.

Rule of Cool - The Rule of Cool, as named by experts, is a mysterious ability which is rarely seen anywhere. It causes TriOctium's attacks to enjoy increased power proportionate to how cool or awesome it was. As long as it was sufficiently dramatic or eye-opening, any attack can become a deadly one, no matter how ridiculous or unfeasible it is. On the down side, if his attacks do not meet the mark, their efficiency is drastically reduced.

Weapons:

Chain-Guitar - A badass midnight black guitar with serrated edges that acts like a chainsaw, this weapon strikes fear even into the hardiest of enemies. Other than being able to play music epic enough to destroy entire continents, it can also be used as a focus site for TriOctium's LOL! Magic, allowing him to rapid fire Beams of Condescending Light without any effort.

Primordial Staff - An impressive, 2 metre tall staff that ends in an intricate spiked sphere design at the top. It is made of Ironwood and constantly glows with LOL! Energy. It is the very first artifact of the Holy Triumvirate, created by the tribe of Overly Emotional Elves called Idontcare in the early years of Fantagorymoryir.

Tian Di Jian - Translated, this weapon's name means "Swords of Earth and Sky". They were originally used by the great hero Cow Cow, who fought in the Battle of the Three Hundred Thousand Kingdoms And Countless Other Factions. The Sword of Earth is enchanted to bring the very fury of the planet itself onto its enemies, causing each of its strikes to carry much more force than they should. The Sword of Sky is enchanted to be the opposite; completely weightless. It also has a speed acceleration spell which causes strikes from it to travel much faster than humanly possible.

GX50 Goliath Armor - A preposterously huge set of armor from the period of time when Elves thought that bigger was always better. The GX50 Goliath Armor enhances its wearer's physical capabilities in every way, providing a Heads-Up Display (HUD) layout of the battlefield at all times. It is preloaded with two LOLfire missiles, a 500mm minigun called the Dakkarizer, and Wstfgl's Compensator (a bulging chainsaw). It is also constructed of the same material as the Plot Armor, protecting its user from death itself unless the script demanded it.

ST35-C LOLmaster Suit, Triumvirate Edition - A more modern invention by the Contemplative Elves, the ST30-C LOLmaster Suit is specifically designed to suit the needs of the master LOL! Mage. It has a catalog of 10,000 jokes for any situation, a Plot Forcefield which provides 360 degree protection and a flashing HUD display which helps you keep track of your remaining LOL! Energy at any time. TriOctium has geared up his suit even more, and now it holds the Infinity+1 Sword as well as the Chehov's Gun as backup weapons.

The Dakkamobile - 'Ever owned a huge-ass gun the size of your backyard, yet feel ashamed because you can't bring it to show your annoying relatives living on the other side of the planet? Have no fear! With the all-new Dakkamobile, your travel problems will long be gone! At the touch of a button, this 50-megaton rapid-fire backyard cannon will transform into a portable pen which you can keep in your pocket without a second thought! Never will you worry about having too little firepower with you ever again!

Remember, kids! An Elf without Dakka is an Elf already dead! Get your firepower today!'

Deus Ex Machina - Near the end of the Final War, when the Forces of the Triumvirate had been pushed back into their Fortress and had nowhere left to retreat to, desperate scientists created this monstrous contraption in the hopes that it would turn the tides against the endless waves of heretics. This harmless-looking mechanical backpack harnesses the powers granted to every Chosen One, allowing the wearer to exhibit near infinite amounts of LOL! Energy when the situation became dire. The essence of the Deep Sexy Voice was also transferred into the Deus Ex Machina, preserving the immortal tutorial guide for all eternity.

The Laptop - At the end of time, there was nothing. Void. But within the void, one artifact remained. The most powerful artifact of infinite power contained in a universe that was chock full of artifacts of infinite power, said to transfer complete omnipotence to anyone who wielded it: The Lost Laptop of the Holy Triumvirate. Scholars said that it was because of the Laptop that the Triumvirate first rose to power, and it was also the Laptop which had sparked the Final War which caused the destruction of the Fortress of the Triumvirate near the end of time. In the wrong hands, this Laptop could spell disaster.

Unfortunately, TriOctium accidentally installed Windows 8, and now it's completely inoperable.

Miscellaneous: He resides in the High Heavens Estate, #01-03, and rarely descends to Earth to 'meddle' with its affairs anymore. However, in cases of dire need, he just may bother to come down.

I have to be even more OP, cause I have a higher post count

HMMMMMMM

Nope I believe what Mel was referring to was the number of dots, not the actual post count. So you should have the same power level as me. :P

Nope I believe what Mel was referring to was the number of dots, not the actual post count. So you should have the same power level as me. :P

Truefax. the name of Shadowfax's brother

I have to be even more OP, cause I have a higher post count

HMMMMMMM

Besides, Timey (Taco? ???) won't have these abilities all unlocked to start with.

My character will probably be like unto a god too, at least once she hits level 20, possibly in a reality-warping kind of way.

Obviously, the number of dots indicates how many stars you have on your Goku Uniform.

Think we should all start at around Hero according to the Dimensional Schism battle RP system that's stickied here. That basically equates to entry-level SHOUNEN Hero before random power ups.

My power-set's probably going to be based off my tendency to draw crap.

Well, I probably am, but it's Wstfgl after taking a nerf bat to the face.

His LOL Power is based on his drawfaggotry.

ACTUALLY YO

I'm going to drop out of this for now, too much other stuff I gotsta do >___>

I'll join in later!

ACTUALLY YO

I'm going to drop out of this for now, too much other stuff I gotsta do >___>

I'll join in later!

That's cool. Maybe you could cameo in or something.

I'm working on my character. Might just skip the building part and go right into the posting part.

I edited an image of my character into my earlier post. Kudos to Wst for drawing it about a year or two ago.

I sucked at coloring back then.

I still kinda suck at coloring T.T

At this point, I'm more likely to say "screw it" and just redraw in black and white, especially if you no longer have the original lineart.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead