Telperion

OPEN Surreal*RPG - reboot!

298 posts in this topic

Don't expect anything any time soon. I'm on duty this Saturday, so I'll just be sitting in an office.

I might accidentally end up with new lineart depending on how bored I get.

Too much firepower? Heresy!

So go ahead and fling dark matter and thunderbolts from your hands.

Yeah, it doesn't have to be a typical DotA team setup with tanks and DPSes and supports. Go ahead and play whatever you want.

We have no support; we need no support!

We are our own support.

But no, really. This is for fun, not for serious. Do what you want.  :ph34r:

Support!

I mean, supports *can* throw thunderbolts and dark matter, right? Just in a very support-y way? Say, there's an idea...

Post.

I'm never too sure about ratings, but R seemed reasonable. I can't imagine depicting overly gory violence. And I don't think any sex will be forthcoming.

Time to ruin your rating by ripping a guy into half with my bare hands

Just kidding. Or am I?

Mel's character profile is making me feel like typing up a level by level skill list for myself too. But I shall resist! (Partially because typing the whole thing out on phone

will be a pain.)

I'll probably post either today or tomorrow.

So I went and looked at the first post, and something just sort of struck me (after a five-minute break). What if we did this as more than a crack RP? Of course, it's going to be rather crack and funny at heart, and I just know some people are going to have above-average levels of fun writing some of this, but the idea of a young lady who just got dragged into a parallel forum-universe to do something plot-worthy is at least intriguing.

Throw in something about how every sentient being that exists in this forum-universe is a reflection of someone's perception of themselves in Real Life, and we may have the start of a plot, even. Still a plot that's overloaded on crack, with exactly one sane person (the newcomer) in the entire dimension, but hey, you win some, you lose some; I'd consider that one a win.

1 person likes this

I was planning to throw in a kind of monster for the beginner areas -- The Silent Ones, the shades of those mysterious students with zero posts. You know the type -- you see their names appear as "newest member" and then they vanish into the ether. Well, alongside the hordes of Chinese gold-selling bots we'll definitely encounter in such a crisis.

Now beating the tar outta those guys might turn out to be a moral quandary.

So it becomes a bit like Persona 4? I don't mind exploring this concept a bit further, if you'd explain more. :)

I was planning to throw in a kind of monster for the beginner areas -- The Silent Ones, the shades of those mysterious students with zero posts. You know the type -- you see their names appear as "newest member" and then they vanish into the ether. Well, alongside the hordes of Chinese gold-selling bots we'll definitely encounter in such a crisis.

Now beating the tar outta those guys might turn out to be a moral quandary.

You do realise my first 100+ posts were in the chat, right? Insofar as one line of chat can be considered a post, anyway.

Eh, Time, are you talking to me or Westie?

Was referring to you. To Wst I usually point in his general direction and go 'meh'.

I'm well aware you're in the chat, yes. You're certainly not a silent newcomer. But I'm sure you've noticed there's a whole bunch of students with absolutely zero activity.

Timey is a big mean poopy-head.

1 person likes this

In that case, I dunno; it doesn't help that I have no clue what Persona 4 is about and I'm too lazy to go look it up. Bear with me as I try to expand on my idea, here; all this is fresh off the press.

So our first post consists of our dear friend Amanda being forcibly dimension-warped into the Surreality Plane, not unlike a bad fanfiction (no offense, bud). And we've (well, you've) already established that your character is a retired god (and so might Westie's). That, right there, is plot material - something big enough is happening to drag a retired god out of retirement. The first (bad) idea that springs to mind is some "chosen one" bull. The second idea is that this is the first time it's happened.

As the dimension is starting to work in my mind, every character in existence on the Surreality Plane is an ideal.

Whenever someone creates a character that symbolises themselves, that character, say... winks into existence, perhaps. As kids, that creates the most overpowered characters; but each persona on the Surreality Plane would be existentially tied to a real person, and as that person grew and mellowed out, the character would, too. What self-respecting... say, sixteen-year-old symbolises themselves as a god-mode overpowered hero? And so the character grows. The character mellows out and stops being a god-mode overpowered hero and starts being a character.

The plot as it's starting to form in my mind would go like this - there's no shortage of overpowered heroes. At all. As a result, the entire Plane is at peace, and the more mature characters resent - or perhaps condescend on, that's a more fitting phrase - they look down on the OP Heroes as immature (which they kind of are, to be fair). Then something happens, and either a lack of OPnoobs (as I've so elegantly nicknamed them) starts occurring, or the presence of OPnoobs stops solving problems, or even the presence of OPnoobs starts causing problems (which hasn't happened before, ever).

Westie, that was a joke.

Considering popping in. I suppose it'll depend what final form this lengthy discussion takes. But yeah, got my eye in here.

Yay DayDreamer

It didn't sound like a joke to me, guess humour doesn't translate well over the internet. Either that or I'm slowly turning into Valentine.

Sol has an interesting idea... And somehow I'm reminded of Chuunibyou.

Okay, fine, it doesn't really look like a joke, but I assure you, it's certainly a joke. My bad entirely.

Do you have any plans for the main antagonist of this story, Mel?

I'm sorta done with my profile... I might have just stolen Noia's schtick too...

Name: WESTON FINAGLE, INTREPID JOURNALIST

Forum Username: Wstfgl

Race: Human

Appearance: Wstfgl is not particularly tall, has short dark hair and wears glasses. He is of average build, and decently fit, but by no means athletic. Basically, even though he hates to admit it, he kinda resembles Shinpachi from Gintama.

In this jaunt to S*RPG, he is wearing his 2-star Chuuni-spec Combat Regalia, a gift from the Great Kyoko-sama as recognition for his Shounen-as-fuck ways. It takes the form of a white hoodie that transforms into a suit of black-and-white futuristic-looking plate armor upon entering combat. Beneath it, he's wearing blue jeans and a very battered pair of old hiking boots.

Personality and/or History: It's Wstfgl, everyone's favorite dakka-obsessed lunatic! Prone to great outbursts of ham and occasional flashes of deep insight, Wstfgl lives life to the extreme, without ever looking back or stopping to think if he's finally gone off the deep end!

He may have a heart of gold or hidden depths or something, but clearly they are very hard to unearth.

Class (and skills of that class):

Chuuni Drawfag: Level 4

The Chuuni is one who is deluded enough to believe imagination into reality. Combined with the middling artistic talent of the Drawfag, the result is one who can turn their delusional doodles into reality within the effective range of their powers. This results in great versatility... provided one can draw more than a limited repertoire of things.

Wstfgl's main weapon is VANISHMENT THIS WARUDO, a sketchbook claimed from the dark wastes of A Local Bookstore and imbued with the power of his imagination. He can draw pictures upon this sketchbook, and then transform them into reality by pulling them from the page from which they were drawn! Each of these projections wipes the page clean of the image originally upon it, and has a time limit before the magic fades and he has to pull out another drawing. Wstfgl has 5 levels of image he can produce, beginning with Sketch-level and learning one every four levels until he reaches Magnum Opus level at Level 16. Wstfgl can usually only have one drawing in use at a time, with the exception of Sketches.

At Level 20, Wstfgl can draw upon the full power of Vanishment This Warudo and draw on himself, allowing him to ascend to become Wstfgl, Random Turtle God of Death, Donuts and Destruction, capable of redrawing reality around him to his whim.

Incremental Levels will grant increases to Wstfgl's drawing speed, his physical capabilities without relying on his weaponry and the time which he can sustain his weaponry.

His arsenal contains the following weapons:

Vasto and Magnus -- What happens when you combine a pair of revolvers and two magic wands. This matching set of intricately-crafted wands, one of silver and one of brass, are able to channel the power of fire and light to vaporize his enemies.

Sketch-level: Vasto and Magnus are able to fire streams of fire for a short-ranged area of effect attack or launch piddly little lasers for long-range work. Requires a cooldown after each shot.

WIP-level: The Hextech Chambers within the Wands become functional, allowing Wstfgl to throw out up to twelve evocations without pausing to cool down.

Artwork-level: Unlocks Melta Mode and Multilaser Mode. Melta Mode is an upgrade of the basic Flame Mode, instead channeling a short-range pulse of energy forwards that superheats anything in its arc of fire to tens of thousands of degrees Celsius. Multilaser Mode is essentially the basic Laser mode... but MORE!

Masterpiece-level: Unlocks Doombolt Mode and Fire Prism Mode. Doombolt Mode fires a barrage of heat-seeking magical blasts around Wstfgl, while Fire Prism Mode fires a single high-energy laser blast at extreme range. Both modes completely deplete one of his Hextech Chambers of ammunition.

Magnum Opus-level: Gives full control of Vasto and Magnus' abilities over light and fire, greatly increasing their versatility.

Demon Reaper: Bloody Stream -- A Demon Reaper used by a certain Reika Yamashiro, one of several Wstfgl has learnt how to draw (i.e. call forth). Takes the form of an enchanted, transforming kukri.

Sketch Level: Wstfgl can use Bloody Stream as a kukri.

WIP-Level: Wstfgl learns to use the ribbon on Bloody Stream to use it like a whip or a kusarigama.

Artwork-Level: Wstfgl learns how to unleash Coda Mode, turning Bloody Stream into a scythe that increases his reach and striking power and triples his speed, but has a reduced usage time before vanishing.

Masterpiece Level: Wstfgl learns to manipulate electricity through Bloody Stream, allowing him to electrocute anyone who touches it, or magnetize it to increase its striking speed and range when thrown.

Magnum Opus Level: Wstfgl unlocks Divine Evisceration Mode, which instantly slices through physical matter and can shred the magical essence of magical entities.

Demon Reaper: Blumenkranz: A Demon Reaper belonging to [REDACTED] that Wstfgl also can use. It is a bizarre transforming weapon with four forms, all of which strengthen with each level of quality attained.

Sketch-level: Wstfgl can use Blade Mode to cut things. Can utilize Gigant, which increases the force of his strikes.

WIP-level: Wstfgl can swap the weapon into Rifle Mode, which fires high-velocity kinetic slugs effective against physical targets. Can utilize Valia to unload its entire clip within an instant.

Artwork-level: Wstfgl can swap the weapon to Spear Mode, which can detach its blades on cables to turn it into a whirlwind of pointy death. Can use Noctum to create illusory doubles of the weapon which can inflict actual pain upon targets, instantly crippling mortal foes with a thousand illusory cuts.

Masterpiece-level: Wstfgl can use Bow Mode, which fires energy projectiles effective against magical entities. Can use Deit to imbue its attacks with light that sears away magic and enchantment, making it doubly effective against magical entities.

Magnum Opus-level: Wstfgl unlocks the use of overcharged versions of Blumenkranz' abilities.

AS-02 Juggernaut: An Angel Suit built around a pair of G-Engines, strange devices that generate unusual form-shifting particles. Wstfgl can use the Hydra, Cyclops and Hecatonchires variants.

Sketch-level: Wstfgl can use the Plasma Cestuses on the Juggernaut.

WIP-level: Wstfgl can utilize Juggernaut's neural interface, boosting his speed in it, and activate its flight mode.

Artwork-level: Wstfgl can use the secondary armaments of the Juggernaut variants -- either machine guns or razor-wire shotguns.

Masterpiece-level: Wstfgl can use the Argus System to expand his senses.

Magnum Opus-level: Wstfgl can use all functions of the Juggernaut and its variants, and can spend extra effort to upgrade to the Juggernaut Cerberus, a triple-drive unit with incredibly high performance.

Perdition: The rifle of Elaine Enfield, a bolt-action contraption infused with alchemical magic.

Sketch-level: It fires bullets.

WIP-Level: It fires incendiary, exploding bullets!

Artwork-Level: It now fires other trick bullets, like smoke bullets, freezing bullets, knockout gas bullets or phasing armor-piercing bullets! In addition, said effects can be channeled through its bayonet too!

Masterpiece-level: As long as Wstfgl holds onto the weapon, he regenerates injuries much faster.

Magnum Opus-level: Tiro Finale! Transmutes the loaded bullet into unstable magically-shielded antimatter, but renders the weapon unusable after a single shot!

Wstfgl can also produce more mundane objects for utility use, but without the infusion of his chuuni powers to turn them into the named weapons he's designed, they remain as mundane, powerless objects.

Man, this is what happens when I sleep. New posts appear.

Cool. (Not like "cool story, bro" but like, actually cool.)

So our first post consists of our dear friend Amanda being forcibly dimension-warped into the Surreality Plane, not unlike a bad fanfiction (no offense, bud). And we've (well, you've) already established that your character is a retired god (and so might Westie's). That, right there, is plot material - something big enough is happening to drag a retired god out of retirement. The first (bad) idea that springs to mind is some "chosen one" bull. The second idea is that this is the first time it's happened.

As the dimension is starting to work in my mind, every character in existence on the Surreality Plane is an ideal.

Whenever someone creates a character that symbolises themselves, that character, say... winks into existence, perhaps. As kids, that creates the most overpowered characters; but each persona on the Surreality Plane would be existentially tied to a real person, and as that person grew and mellowed out, the character would, too. What self-respecting... say, sixteen-year-old symbolises themselves as a god-mode overpowered hero? And so the character grows. The character mellows out and stops being a god-mode overpowered hero and starts being a character.

The plot as it's starting to form in my mind would go like this - there's no shortage of overpowered heroes. At all. As a result, the entire Plane is at peace, and the more mature characters resent - or perhaps condescend on, that's a more fitting phrase - they look down on the OP Heroes as immature (which they kind of are, to be fair). Then something happens, and either a lack of OPnoobs (as I've so elegantly nicknamed them) starts occurring, or the presence of OPnoobs stops solving problems, or even the presence of OPnoobs starts causing problems (which hasn't happened before, ever).

(I'm a bud now?) It is an interesting thought. I'm curious about the actual ratio of OPnoobs to more reasonable characters on here, since this seems a fairly, hm, mature(?) role-playing forum. It is also an interesting assumption that these characters (which probably by definition start out at OPnoobs?) will grow and change with their creator. I'm getting a vision of how in their downtime (when they aren't actively being written in a RP) the less OP characters just sit around and talk shit about the OPnoobs.

Anyway, plot requires conflict. Basically OPnoobs are people in power who would seem too immature to use it properly. Or, well, maybe not. I mean, if they are truly representatives of their creators, then yes, they would lack somewhat in the brainpower department, (studies show that the brain's frontal lobe-thing only really finishes developing in one's early twenties) but there are some such characters that have "intelligence" as, well, an informed ability, so I wonder how that would be expressed? Are their powers of intelligence and logic tied directly to that of their creators?

But as you say, there would be a distinct imbalance between these two groups. Which in and of itself engenders conflict on some level. But this has kind of been happening for a while now, at least from their perspective. What has changed? Forum-wise, is anything drastic or particularly dynamic happening? I know there is some sort of social media initiative, as well as a recruitment thing...that's something to think about.

Now we come to why and/or how my character has been drawn into the virtual world of S*RPG, which is essentially the forums. Why would such a thing be necessary? It sounds like "real people" are being drawn into the forum world because of some need for their abilities. But what need would that be? Maybe their imagination or something like that, I don't know.

That was sort of a brainstorm. I hope it sparks some thought, from which we might garner more ideas. 

Considering popping in. I suppose it'll depend what final form this lengthy discussion takes. But yeah, got my eye in here.

Yaaay !

Yay DayDreamer

[...]

Sol has an interesting idea... And somehow I'm reminded of Chuunibyou.

I keep meaning to watch that. Or am told I should. 

Do you have any plans for the main antagonist of this story, Mel?

Not really. I was kinda hoping I could inspire some suggestions and thoughts from people here (much like what has happened and is happening). If we wanted to, we could make this a meta-conflict against things like writer's block and other stuff that stops us from writing what we want, or a different kind of meta-conflict against poorly-conceptualized characters... I'm open to ideas.

Could go sort of the route of the last S*RPG...    Something is corrupting/damaging the imaginary worlds of S*T   The forum, being something of a living thing, metaphorically speaking,  grabs some people it thinks can help it. The collective ideas and imaginations give it a life of its own, composed of all of the worlds generated over the years.

I actually envision the forum as having more of an animal intelligence, so while it may not actually have sentience or knowledge enough to actively oppose whatever is harming it, it can instinctively go to some of those who have shown it a degree of kindness (by playing/feeding it with posts, you see).  It may not even be able to communicate past a few vague images or concepts (if at all!), so we need to figure out what the hell is going on.

Very traditional heroic quest, with the big bad twirling his mustache at the end of the road...   Or is he?   WE couldnt be so simple in our genre-savviness, now, could we? :P

RE: Social media...   perhaps in its endeavors to attract attention from new users...   Perhaps it enticed something darker?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead