Telperion

OPEN Surreal*RPG - reboot!

298 posts in this topic

@ Alisyn
tumblr_mxa9b9nRT41smcbm7o1_400.gif

edit: Oh yeah. Sorry, I did have more to add.

Could go sort of the route of the last S*RPG...    Something is corrupting/damaging the imaginary worlds of S*T   The forum, being something of a living thing, metaphorically speaking,  grabs some people it thinks can help it. The collective ideas and imaginations give it a life of its own, composed of all of the worlds generated over the years.

I actually envision the forum as having more of an animal intelligence, so while it may not actually have sentience or knowledge enough to actively oppose whatever is harming it, it can instinctively go to some of those who have shown it a degree of kindness (by playing/feeding it with posts, you see).  It may not even be able to communicate past a few vague images or concepts (if at all!), so we need to figure out what the hell is going on.

Very traditional heroic quest, with the big bad twirling his mustache at the end of the road...   Or is he?   WE couldnt be so simple in our genre-savviness, now, could we?  :P

RE: Social media...   perhaps in its endeavors to attract attention from new users...   Perhaps it enticed something darker?

I like the idea of sort of referencing that something of the sort (i.e. real people being summoned into the forum world) has happened before (or in an alternate timeline?), as it had on the other site. Which I know is not what you suggested, it just came to me. But yes, a sort of semi-sentient (or not at all sentient) presence calling out for help, that could be it.

There is indeed a very dark side to such things as tumblr blogs, this I know. Mostly I'm acquainted with the fandom and social justice dark sides. But in general, the internet is a very scary place, and just calling out in the dark for anything and anyone can be pretty dangerous.

Edited by Telperion

Awww, ty~~~

I'll try to write less shitty posts when we have more to work off of. Character sheets bore me, and I only ever do the super basic shit. >.>

I prefer to develop my characters through plot. xD

I've got a feeling at least 3 of us are rolling with a variation of Item Creation as our main power...

Since Noia is almost certainly rolling Drawfag like me.

Personally, I like Asura's idea for the plot, as... Yeah, this site is short of actual OPNoobs to actually create a plausible conflict.

I've got a feeling at least 3 of us are rolling with a variation of Item Creation as our main power...

Since Noia is almost certainly rolling Drawfag like me.

Personally, I like Asura's idea for the plot, as... Yeah, this site is short of actual OPNoobs to actually create a plausible conflict.

Hey man, it's like the most versatile power out there. Well--hmm. I dunno. It's certainly a versatile power.

I guess it can't really be helped since we're all some sort of creative here.

I guess we'll have to differentiate ourselves through the nuances of our item creation power.

Mine requires a lot of setup, but I can create my character's own ridiculously overpowered weaponry. Of course, I'm limited to the characters I came up with...

Also, I propose meeting the bots Google and Bing at some point. They're, like, always around.

Also, I propose meeting the bots Google and Bing at some point. They're, like, always around.

They just scan you inside out and add you to their database. YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED.

Also, I'm taking ideas on what the landscape of forum world will look like. I mean, what does a forum look like, anyway? Will there be these huge wire-like appendages that, if you walk along them, show you conversations in the thread it represents? And I mean, it is called Surreality, so it must be kind of weird-looking.

I was toying with the idea that a hacker was attacking S*T, who disabled both my powers and Wst's, which explains why we're starting from scratch again.

And you can describe the site in whatever way you deem fit, I guess. I imagine it to be a patchwork world, with drastically different areas just next to each other, representing the different roleplays on the site.

Assimilation. NO. D;

I imagine a forum looks like rooms connected by a maze-like set of stairs/hallways/etc.? Open a door, and it's a different thread with whatever's happening inside the thread flowing around you?

You know what would be interesting? If each of us/our characters saw it in a different way. I don't really know why that would be, but, hm. If some outside force were attacking S*T, maybe it was also trying to mess with people's perceptions of it?

Man, now I'm just imagining like some preteen hacker dipshit messing with the forums because he tried one time to RP on the site and got shot down because of all his "godmodding" and "bunnying."

edit: and by "shot down" I mean constructively criticized.

I imagine a forum looks like rooms connected by a maze-like set of stairs/hallways/etc.? Open a door, and it's a different thread with whatever's happening inside the thread flowing around you?

That's how it was visualised in the last Surreal*RPG, if I remember correctly. The problem with hallways and rooms is that things get cramped really quickly all the time, and there isn't much room to pull off epic battles.

Besides, having nondescript hallways can get boring pretty quickly.

Oh, I didn't know. Sorry. >.>

Though, by rooms, I meant infinite-space rooms. It's just that doors lead to them. xD

Ah, yes, infinite-space rooms would work. Are we going with the hacker idea?

I'd envision it more of like the SubSpace Emissary world from Smash Bros: Brawl. That gives us lots of room to play with and actual settings that aren't rooms.

Being unfamiliar with Smash Bros stuff, I looked it up. Is this it?

RSBE01_d560bc37_14.png

I don't know if we are. Going with the hacker idea, that is. I think we need more ideas.

We should have a hacker as one of those responsible, yes. Perhaps a whole team of baddies to spice things up.

Ah, yes, infinite-space rooms would work. Are we going with the hacker idea?

I should have clarified my idea better. I was thinking they would be like doors leading to "alternate dimensions," in which each dimension is a thread and everything that happens in it. :P

Hacker sounds like the ultimate boss. Well, that or Maya.

Since Maya is my character, I was planning on channelling her Eldrazi abilities through TriOctium near the end of the RP...

No guarantees that her psychotic mindset won't come along as a package.

Actually, why ISNT Maya the final boss herself?

She eats worlds, which are basically RPs, after all. We're effectively Planeswalkers tasked to deal with her.

If that's the case, I have a certain character who's an associate of Maya, and might be showing up eventually.

Oh my...

guys I'm going to be candid here and let you know that I definitely just glazed over some of the stuff that exploded while I was at work... I assume that if I poke and screw with someones intentions or predetermined intellectual imaginings - you'll let me know, yes?

that being said - I'm nearly done with my story-self... also, I'll have to either save my introduction of myself into the fray until Monday, or else write in something to suspend my story-self in action whilst I gallivant around the happiest place on earth for the weekend. Aint nothin' distracting me from Mickey Mouse. 'Nuff said.

Aaaaand... I'll probably supply a list of my nominated baddies before then so all's y'all can decide if you want to crush them or not :)

please stand by...

To keep things short, Maya Iyengar is a Planeswalker Illusionist who is secretly an Eldritch Horror who eats entire worlds for fun.

She is cute, girly, and very, very psychotic.

geez....   Ive lots to read now...

Still need to come up with a character too xD   Damn you guys work fast!!

That sounds like MTG. We could have the hackers' hacking manifest itself as several world-eating whatsits. The hackers' motive being something fairly mundane. Ooh, or maybe what if it's like some sort of initiation task that like a wannabe hacker has to accomplish before they can join the big hacker club? Like, mess with this small low-security website without getting caught before you can join the big leagues or something.

Edit: The influx of posts from me will probably stop when my Friday night rolls around. Maybe most of Saturday too, and at least half of Sunday. So whoever needs to can catch up on the weekend.

I'll be posting tonight, which will probably be your tonight too since Singapore and Malaysia are next door neighbours. I'll be including the hacker in my post, so if anyone has any violent objections, speak now or forever hold your peace.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead