Telperion

OPEN Surreal*RPG - reboot!

298 posts in this topic

a hacker unleashing something far more evil into the world?

Eldritch entity whose secrets were best left buried away?

The program  taking over the programmer?

Faustian deal with said eldritch entity?

Though inspired by true events, I feel we can add something significantly more fantastical if we were so desirous. Figure we can go wild with the big bad especially :)

I'm in favour of "hacker unknowingly unleashes an eldritch entity"; and regarding setting, I was referring more to open areas with actual settings representing individual threads, but with portals or doors of a sort connecting one thread to another.

I concur with Sol.

I've always wanted to download Nyarlathotep.exe from my friend in Kenya!

I'll be posting tonight, which will probably be your tonight too since Singapore and Malaysia are next door neighbours. I'll be including the hacker in my post, so if anyone has any violent objections, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Me? I'm in Seattle now. Unless you didn't mean me.

I concur with Sol.

I've always wanted to download Nyarlathotep.exe from my friend in Kenya!

...this was different a minute ago...unless I'm insane.

Anyway. I think this whole hacker unwittingly unleashes eldritch abomination thing is an interesting take.

Edit: I guess we should come to some sort of consensus about what we want things to look like.

I totally didn't accidentally post something meant to be posted one hour ago and ninja-edit it.

You're batshit insane.

Whatcha doing in Seattle anyway?

Working. Or at least, trying to find work. Technically I have it, since I'm a temp worker and I'm getting money for my menial labor, but it isn't even like a middlingly okay situation, y'know? I graduated college in May, so...shrug?

The bright side is I have lots of friends in the Seattle area. All software engineers, of course.

And I'm vegetating in front of a computer without internet access in a remote military camp... FOR MY COUNTRY!

But at least I'll have a job after I get outta college... In 5 years' time...

1 person likes this

Name : 'Hey you', 'Oi', 'Little girl'

Forum Username : Noia

Race : Human

Appearance : Average height, average weight, average intelligence. Everything about Noia screams 'average'. I drew a self portrait (?) of myself in Witch Garb a while back: http://www.surreality-rp.com/topic/327-dumb-shit-noia-made/?p=16434

History : Noia has always reckoned she was born with two right brains. With zero interest in numbers and facts, she has instead spent her days in class scribbling spellrunes at the borders and margins of her schoolbooks, in hopes of blossoming into a full blown Witch after she graduates from secondary school. Scientists and Lawyers are for chumps, she has always said.

Even though she's essentially hopeless in debating and reasoning, Noia has noticed she performs slightly better in the opposite site of the spectrum. Due to this apparently relatively unique feature of hers, Noia has decided to pick up a stint as a HR manager after she eventually moves on from the magic world.

Class: Moonlighting Witch

Skills

Swords and Sorcery - Noia gets a flying broom as a mount. And a Micron 0.5 pen as a wand. [Passive]

Pun Master - Can cast all kinds of elemental spells (FIRE WATER AIR EARTH LIGHT AND DARK), provided she creates impossibly bad rhymes or cringe inducing puns to trigger it's activation. How effective the spell is relies on the amount of dots she have (currently only 3. Clearly she needs to spam in this site more.) Waving of wand is optional.

Rum and Raisins - Having dabbled a little in the art of potion creation, Noia has a wide plethora of spiked beverages and drinks to offer. Each swig gives you extra courage and happiness. And it can heal/buff too, why not. 

Scout's Honor - She can summon Imps, Sprites and Fairies to aid her at will.

Dream Chaser - On an eternal quest to find your purpose? You really want to buy that sweet Playstation 4 but have no money to waste? Wait no further! With a simple wave of a wand, any wish of yours can, and will be granted!

[Fine print: Be careful what you wish for. Noia tends to muck up exceedingly big or plotbreaking requests. Because she has average intelligence.]

---

AM I DOING THIS RIGHT?

It's painful and blasphemous -- and kind of a sore spot because some of the other offices do have internet access!

Oh hey we have our support caster. Solyeuse can go blow things up now.

Oh hey we have our support caster. Solyeuse can go blow things up now.

Oi! Hands off my support Caster role!

I guess we should come to some sort of consensus about what we want things to look like.

This, exactly this. Especially, I think, what the place looks like.

Me? I'm in Seattle now. Unless you didn't mean me.

*le gasp* That's me, that's my home!!!

the Emerald City is glad to have you! =D

Noia's the healing support, Soly can be the offensive/debuff support. Wst, Ramos and I will probably have more than enough firepower combined to carry everyone to victory.

And ooh, you're in Seattle now, Mel? Will you be staying there for a long time?

I'm more like an all rounder eyo!

If Sol wants to be full heals I can easily remove the hell/buff part of the potions and change it to a debuff (Y)

As for appearance... The RP subsections may look like big atriums with lotsa doors that lead into various "realms" that represent the world of each RP.

OOC boards probably look like a bunch of rooms and corridors or something.

Alisyn shall be our tank as she's clearly Rule 63'd Ira Gamagoori.

My character's abilities are centred on being an allied-centric support with no heals (read: buffs and shields); debuffs are largely close-ranged and would lend themselves to a more self-defense role.

Setting/appearance-wise, I think Westie has a pretty good idea of it, but I personally think that we can have more doors than the ones that lead to the various realms; interrealm doors sound really fun to play with.

Noia's the healing support, Soly can be the offensive/debuff support. Wst, Ramos and I will probably have more than enough firepower combined to carry everyone to victory.

And ooh, you're in Seattle now, Mel? Will you be staying there for a long time?

For the foreseeable future, yup. I've rented an apartment and everything.

@Noia, your picture link is broken for me?

*le gasp* That's me, that's my home!!!

the Emerald City is glad to have you! =D

Rad! =)

As for appearance... The RP subsections may look like big atriums with lotsa doors that lead into various "realms" that represent the world of each RP.

So we're generally agreed on portals or doors of some sort, with general hallway-equivalents that basically make it so there is a central access hub from which we can get to various boards. Not sure if it's still a thing since I'm not staff, obviously, but mods might have access to mod-restricted boards?

Depicting each RP as it's own world is not only straightforward but also kind of a given, I think. It's just a question of how we get to and from these worlds. I think that usually the process will be easy and convenient, but in the forum multiverse's current state, various hacker-initiated issues makes traveling very difficult. Hazardous, even.

Maybe there used to be a perfectly safe subspace highway system or something that is now infested with monsters. Or it's blocked off, and people have to take the "scenic route," which happens to be infested with monsters. I prefer the latter.

I'm thinking that this "scenic route" will sort of reflect Timey's notion of a patchwork world, where the borders of "reality" for each world just kind of cut off. And it can probably stretch or shrink to accommodate its creator's notions of it. The subspace highway thing will be more the doors and hallways stuff.

I'll be narrating up an introductory post on the morrow, I think... I'll have some time to kill on a plane - but before you choose to read or skim over my revelation of the cognitive imaginings of my mind whilst I put my story-self onto paper - here's your quick reference... I think I might draw a picture, too...

Kate - The Story-Self of Featherkey-Fate

I wasn't sure how to do the spoiler thing, so I just linked it to my character library... uhm... can anyone teach me how to do the spoiler thing?

Depicting each RP as it's own world is not only straightforward but also kind of a given, I think. It's just a question of how we get to and from these worlds. I think that usually the process will be easy and convenient, but in the forum multiverse's current state, various hacker-initiated issues makes traveling very difficult. Hazardous, even.

Maybe there used to be a perfectly safe subspace highway system or something that is now infested with monsters. Or it's blocked off, and people have to take the "scenic route," which happens to be infested with monsters. I prefer the latter.

I'm thinking that this "scenic route" will sort of reflect Timey's notion of a patchwork world, where the borders of "reality" for each world just kind of cut off. And it can probably stretch or shrink to accommodate its creator's notions of it. The subspace highway thing will be more the doors and hallways stuff.

This right here is perfect; I'm 100% in favour.

I wasn't sure how to do the spoiler thing, so I just linked it to my character library... uhm... can anyone teach me how to do the spoiler thing?

The code to use is:

[spoiler]stuff[/spoiler]

But you can also use the third button (from the top left) on the post-editing UI (it's kind of like a picture frame? if you hover over it, it says Special BBCode), which will open a dialogue box with a drop-down menu. You can select "Spoiler" from this menu and it will give you a field in which to enter the text you want spoiler-hidden. I'm not sure if it only accepts BBCoded plain-text stuff or if it also conserves rich-text formatting. I would recommend just adding the BBCode manually.

Edit: Oh yeah. Currently awaiting further opinion on appearance of forum multiverse. If lacking in belligerent complaints, I will write up a quick blurb about that and the eldritch horror hack-summoning and put it in the first post for easy reference.

I think the idea you've just described sounds good. Let's roll.

Unless Necromancy is to be the exclusive domain of evil (and/or that evil is to be the exclusive domain of NPCs), I'm thinking of rolling with that. My DayDreamer persona of old has gotten lazy and now just raises the dead to do everything for him these days.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead