shelmii

Desperate.

92 posts in this topic

You shouldn't feel bad about this topic though. Everyone needs a place to vent. Like, something I don't like is the sentence structure when you do something like, "Yeah it was me, my uncle, my aunt and bear." Is your aunt a bear person? Because I feel an apostrophe would make the sentence make more sense. It leaves things to become waaaaaaay to hilarious sometimes.

Haha, well I have nothing else to vent right now past this nauseous feeling and don't feel up to par with typing anything else right now. My vents are nothing big though, they are just small things that bug me that I myself used to do as well. You guys are definitely right though, I couldn't do it and haven't so I probably won't.

Ah, I'm being bitten. Okay, sure. I guess my weakness is I'm too much of a nice person who gets "annoyed" and then makes a reckless move that has everyone think I'm some horrible person.

AND WHAT EVEN WITH THE SENTENCE STRUCTURES.

it's just when someone writes maybe a few paragraphs and let's just say it's long and they write alright, but it's the first word of every sentence that just makes me cringe because while I'm reading it I feel like I'm just reading the first word and not the rest. It's become instead of a paragraph, it's become an instruction manual in the narration.

Example: "I threw today's laundry in a basket. I was so exhausted, but I had finally finished the chores commended to me. I ran toward my bed, wishing I could curl up and sleep forever. I needed more energy for tomorrow."

That's it... really. Now there are probably more, but as of now I don't know and don't care. Because everyone on here has great writing. The differences are good. This is a problem I saw constantly and I think you guys can agree it's difficult to read something like this.

This was a personal rant, in an out of character post. All I really care about is sentence fluidity. ;;

:(

Ice is my best friend. She's awesome. We're gonna be best friends forever. ♡

1 person likes this

Funny that you bring that one up because when I first joined S*T forever ago one of the scholars had told me to try and come up with different ways to begin a sentence. At the time I pretty much did as your example except with pronouns or my characters name. If it makes you feel better I'm immensely grateful to that scholar for pointing it out to me because I hadn't even realized I'd been doing it. I've since practiced long and hard and believe I'm doing much better on that regards.

*Coughs*Ahem.

Intentions aside, approach is an issue. The reason people respond negatively to a conflicting opinion is usually because of how it was put across.

The question here is are you making a thread to gripe about your own personal pet peeves about writing or are you wanting to open the floor for advice and constructive criticism. You have to understand that these are not the same thing.

Your opinion on writing is by no means a standard to which anyone else must live by. Someone should not be changing thebway they write because you find it "annoyong". While you are very welcome to have that opinion and express it, you cant really pass that off as trying to help.

Writing is an incredibly fluid format with lots of exceptions (especially English) so you can only dictate how people write to some degreem. Fundamental teaching about spelling and grammar is important. Its the difference between "I helped my uncle jack off a horse" and "I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse".

However these are agreed rules in order to minimise potential for miscommunication. Your annoyances may or may not include such things, but I guarantee at some point along the line they will be more about personal preference than anything else. Which is fine, great even. Just don't kid people that your trying to help them if that's the case.

I just wanted to help in a way, but I agree it was a post about personal preference, but I was not at all ready to post anything massive that would go against anyone's writing. I assumed and it was a one time thing, I promise not to do it anymore. It wasn't even directed toward anyone on this site if I were to be honest, I merely wanted to post a few rants that I'd been keeping in.

Although at the same time I asked you what I should do and I've made my decision. I sincerely thank you, but I am no place to help anyone since you all know what you're doing anyway. I've only been so interested in writing for two years and it's not something I am confident in. It's mere a vent over what my brain finds hard to process.

Btw, I got that quote from a high school teacher when he was passing around our quotes for the month. The quote doesn't at all help my cause anyway. It's basically telling me that I shouldn't post specifics that I think are wrong. Despite, it's still a quote I remember for so long and I really just need to figure out why. I mean, it's probably important that it's still in my memory...

*Coughs*Ahem.

AND OF COURSE YOU'RE ALREADY MY BESTEST FRIEND EVAR. ♡♥︎♡♥︎

I find it funny these famous people like to advise people not to use certain words when i'm sure words were invented to be used.

I've seen people advising me not to overuse simple words like "said" and "very", and then another school of thought emerges advising me not to use over-complicated words and just stick to the common ones. Which one do we trust?

This depends on your audience. To use a real life example most of what I do ay work is basically changing my language yo suit the reader. For example if im writing documents for public sector conpanies such as the council I have to over explain every detail in simple words. Whilst if I am writing to private sector I can usually use a lot more jargon and specific phrasing which actually is more concise despite being more "complex".

When you write with complex articulation you are basically choosing to appeal yo a specific audience, whereas simple writing broadens your readership. When you take all the creativity and passion out of it this is how it works in the real world. While neither option is wrong they both carry benefits and consequences.

1 person likes this

And then there is writing on your phone which results in the mess I just wrote.

1 person likes this

Funny that you bring that one up because when I first joined S*T forever ago one of the scholars had told me to try and come up with different ways to begin a sentence. At the time I pretty much did as your example except with pronouns or my characters name. If it makes you feel better I'm immensely grateful to that scholar for pointing it out to me because I hadn't even realized I'd been doing it. I've since practiced long and hard and believe I'm doing much better on that regards.

Thank you. For me this is the most important part because when you are reading a piece it's a bit difficult to understand when the subject is being added too many times. I'm learning Chinese and toward the beginning of learning the language I was always adding the subject, which is "I" or "me" in the beginning of each sentence simply because it was a safe spot for me. I understand that some writers write like this not because they're careless or don't know any other word, but because they need to find a safe spot to start their writing off with. Eventually it becomes better for the reader and for the writer because it helps for them to learn more about the language through exploring the vocabulary offered.

o.o I'm being covered with affection.

I can't stand to read that stuff. At all. I kinda just fade away from the rp if I hate the writing. And I am still around for ours so I hope that silently says I like how you rp and I find no evidence of these repetitive beginnings in your writing :) 

*Coughs*Ahem.

Jealous much? >.>

That's because I love writing and just extremely grateful to have found you guys who are equally as passionate. I'm a cheesy a loser. Pardon me please.

That's because I love writing and just extremely grateful to have found you guys who are equally as passionate. I'm a cheesy a loser. Pardon me please.

I never said it was a bad thing :p I crave affection~

AND I WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW I MEANT TO SAY "SHOWERED WITH AFFECTION" BUT I COULDN'T THINK OF THE DARN WORD.

I know, my post was directed toward everyone. Don't worry about me, sometimes what I type has different means because I dunno.

EVERYONE LOVES TO BE SHOWERED WITH AFFECTION. lol

EVERYONE LOVES TO BE SHOWERED WITH AFFECTION. lol

Be careful what you wish for.

This is what it looks like when you shower in Surreality's affection:

2013-08-07-5a.gif

But this is what you end up as:

4229088+_0d713785b8ea4718a4117b53f3e6186

NERK.

2 people like this

I can't stand to read that stuff. At all. I kinda just fade away from the rp if I hate the writing. And I am still around for ours so I hope that silently says I like how you rp and I find no evidence of these repetitive beginnings in your writing :)

^^; *blush*

1 person likes this

Thank you. For me this is the most important part because when you are reading a piece it's a bit difficult to understand when the subject is being added too many times. I'm learning Chinese and toward the beginning of learning the language I was always adding the subject, which is "I" or "me" in the beginning of each sentence simply because it was a safe spot for me. I understand that some writers write like this not because they're careless or don't know any other word, but because they need to find a safe spot to start their writing off with. Eventually it becomes better for the reader and for the writer because it helps for them to learn more about the language through exploring the vocabulary offered.

Chinese~~~~~. If you need help just ask me!

And of course Japanese is a language notorious for taking out the subject of a sentence whenever they can. Or at least, it seems like that to me, as a beginning learner of the language.

Chinese~~~~~. If you need help just ask me!

And of course Japanese is a language notorious for taking out the subject of a sentence whenever they can. Or at least, it seems like that to me, as a beginning learner of the language.

I saw on your profile that you're from Singapore! Yes, I learned simplified in high school for a year and since my university doesn't offer many East Asian languages I'm learning traditional Chinese, but it's alright because Japan and Korea both still use traditional. Of course I'll ask you for help! I need people to speak with or in this case type with.

Yes it is :)

Taiwan uses traditional Chinese.

I can't say anything for Korea cuz whenever I look at their writing it's just... circles and lines. *lowers head*

Yes, my teacher is also Taiwanese :)

Haha, reading Korean is so easy though. I learned it in about a month. ^^ Learning languages makes me so happy.

The Korean language is phonetic, isn't it? That must be a hell of a lot easier than Chinese.

I somehow managed to pass Chinese exams in school, but I'm frankly terrible at it.

The Korean language is phonetic, isn't it? That must be a hell of a lot easier than Chinese.

I somehow managed to pass Chinese exams in school, but I'm frankly terrible at it.

Yes and yes, it is easier, but either way you need to learn/remember a ton of vocabulary anyway. The only thing difficult about Chinese for me is sentence structure and knowing where everything goes. With Korean, you can get the written/read portion of it down without it being challenging at all.

為什麼?

Plus Chinese has these tones that sometimes differentiate one character from another. The pin yin system helps a ton though. Chinese is easy because it's enjoyable. :)

DO YOU WANNA PRACTICE WITH ME SOMETIME?! OUO"