shelmii

Desperate.

92 posts in this topic

I'm about to start learning Chinese. Literally, my first class is tomorrow.

I'm mostly concerned about speaking it, because I am not good at speaking in general. I don't get much practice at it.

It's so cool how so many of you are learning or have learned Chinese. Haha, speaking is the most fun because then you get to impress the Chinese students or you get them to laugh at you. I've received both reactions and it's just great.. One guy had a problem with the way I pronounced it and so I continued to try and fix what I was pronouncing wrong and everyone else told me he was purposefully telling me a lie.... So be careful. o.o

I can barely speak English, let alone any other language.

xD

I've always thought Latin would be cool to learn. Or Ancient Egyptian. Or Mayan, although I know a tiny bit of that, as I got a phrase book/dictionary after I fell in love with Apocalypto.

Well, take it as if you learn another language, it can teach you so much more about your own.

Ancient Egyptian, I can read Classical Arabic, and modern Urdu + speak Urdu & punjabi because I was born into those, but learning the old stuff can always get you into the bare bones of language learning.

:) oh yeah, being interested in foreign readings or cultures can always get you to learn a few phrases or words here and there :)

Well, there are a lot of Singaporeans on this site, so you won't find any shortage of Chinese speakers here, myself included. :D

I....do not know Chinese o.o Took up Spanish for a couple years but without using it, I kinda lost most of what I learned. I can still do a proper greeting and nitpick words but other than that, nah. Oh! And count to a thousand :D useful, right? I'm debating picking it back up.

Are you from Singapore?

cause I'll forever need Chinese speakers to talk to...

Yes, we should all make some kind of language speakers group or something, where we roleplay or attempt to roleplay, in my case, in other languages. hahah, that would be so much practice. I would just be looking up vocab and fitting it into my replies like I'm a natural... Yet can't construct a paragraph at all. ;-;

GOOGLE TRANSLATE IS SO WRONG. don't even get me started...

There are also a lot of weebs here so expect broken japanese as well.

1 person likes this

I think it's someone who isn't Japanese, but is into Japanese entertainment/culture, mostly anime and don't quite know the Japanese language, but have learned a few phrases here and there through watching anime or reading manga. They are similar to otaku. Many people find them annoying, but I don't see what's wrong with being obsessed with something of another culture. /shrugs/

I learned a little Chinese from Nihao Kailan. I might've been about 14 or 15 when it came out, but I still was like, "Oh hey, a show about teaching kids how to speak Chinese. That's extremely useful."

I will point out I use the term "weeb" affectionately.