Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Telperion

What Are You Reading?

21 posts in this topic

If there's a "What Are You Listening To" thread there was probably a "What Are You Reading" thread at one point, but then it got old.

So I'd like to know -- what are you reading?

I've just finished this incredible original web serial thing called Worm. It's awesome. I had it recommended to me thus:

the just-completed story Worm, which is roughly 1.75 million words in 30 volumes. The characters in Worm use their powers so intelligently I didn’t even notice until something like the 10th volume that the alleged geniuses were behaving like actual geniuses and that the flying bricks who would be the primary protagonists and villains of lesser tales were properly playing second fiddle to characters with cognitive, informational, or probability-based powers. There are stories which are better than Worm, and stories which were written faster than Worm, but I don’t know of any epic which was ever written faster and better than Worm.

(Coincidentally, I got this recommendation from an author's note by the author of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, which I would also recommend, but maybe not to everyone, though that isn't complete.)

I have just started to read "God is Dead" by: Ron currie and it was the only one, while browsing randomly, that caught my eye.

It's not religious, but it describes what would happen on earth if God died. Sounds pretty interesting if you ask me. :)

I heard great things about Worm. I didn't know it'd finished -- perhaps now's a good time to start reading.

I'm currently waiting for Brandon Sanderson's next book, Words of Radiance. The previous book in the series, the Way of Kings, was phenomenal, so I can't wait. It's only coming out on the 6th of March or so... And is also a very compelling reason to get an ebook copy as it's 1088 pages long.

Currently reading a book called "When Rabbit Howls", which is this really depressing true story about a girl who was sexually abused most other life and developed multiple personality disorder to cope with the pain. It's difficult to read at times. I don't know why I read these kinds of things :|

Apparently it's a pretty common and worthwhile thing to read things that make you feel awful. That doesn't work with me though.

Anyway I suppose what I'm reading now is gonna be all the books I've got for uni this sem. "Merchant of Venice" first, which one recognizes as Shakespeare, then "Tess of D'Ubervilles" and "Beloved" - the authors of which I can't recall presently but I'd never heard of either book or author before so *shrugs*. I don't really like the sounds of them, but such are most of the books we have to read I suppose.

If I didn't have those to read, I'd be personally choosing to read the latest book in the "Temeraire" series by Naomi Novak, called "Blood of Tyrants".

Ooh! I recall reading the Temeraire series! Fun read, all around.

And I love Brandon Sanderson's stuff. I've only read his Mistborn trilogy, but I'm excited about all his other stuff. I tried reading through Wheel of Time to get to his book, but, eh. It grated on me after a while.

I've just started on The Lies of Locke Lamora, and am currently enjoying the way it is written, although that might be because I'm listening to it in audiobook format? Listening to something being read aloud really makes you appreciate how it was put together.

I haven't heard of any of the books previously mentioned, but I'm always on the lookout for new authors/novels, so I might look into some of them.

I'm currently reading the new Bridget Jones book. I really enjoyed the first two (which I read years ago and should probably reread) and Helen Fielding isn't disappointing with the third installment. It's very light hearted and easy to read, which was exactly what I needed after slogging through The Book Thief. I seem to be the only person who didn't enjoy that book very much. I liked how it was written, but I found the story itself very slow. I am intrigued by the film though.

Meld, you will not regret reading the Way of Kings. Unless you drop the book on your foot.

I'm also looking forward to the next Dresden Files book coming this May, and will in all probability end up splurging on an overpriced hardcover edition just to read it as soon as I can.

Well I'm glad to know I'm not subconsciously a masochist or something :p 

I'm about halfway through that book and have another on deck to read - "Snow Falling on Cedars", which is a murder mystery/tragic love story? set in Japan. I've read mixed reviews about it, but it seems like it will be an interesting and easy read. 

I'll have to check out (harr harr) some of the books mentioned in this thread when I'm done with these. 

Apparently it's a pretty common and worthwhile thing to read things that make you feel awful. That doesn't work with me though.

Anyway I suppose what I'm reading now is gonna be all the books I've got for uni this sem. "Merchant of Venice" first, which one recognizes as Shakespeare, then "Tess of D'Ubervilles" and "Beloved" - the authors of which I can't recall presently but I'd never heard of either book or author before so *shrugs*. I don't really like the sounds of them, but such are most of the books we have to read I suppose.

If I didn't have those to read, I'd be personally choosing to read the latest book in the "Temeraire" series by Naomi Novak, called "Blood of Tyrants".

Don't worry, DayDay. You'll feel awful after reading Merchant of Venice, Tess of the D'Ubervilles and Beloved. Feeling awful is good for you, right? XD

I haven't read anything for ages. I don't usually find much time to do so in school. But over the hols I shall pick up some books again.

I'm beginning my read of Naoki Urasawa's series, Pluto. It's about a futuristic world that exists in multiple other series worlds like Astro Boy and such. And the plot sorta revolves around this one robot man assassinating other important robot icons and people. It's really different, but fucking cool. Also recently finished Parasyte. Which is fucking amazing.

Elantriss was a pretty good novel. I also recently read The Time Keeper, which was great.

I like series and the last one I was reading(though haven't been able to finish because of time) is The Legend of the Seeker.

Okay so I didn't just finish this but I finished it... like a year ago? Maybe less. Anyway I LOVED the series, Fever(Darkfever, Bloodfever, Dreamfever, Faefever, perhaps not in that order). It has elements of romance but it's not the primary story. The base story was very dark, and had that sorta... 'do-anything-to-survive' style. It made it really emotionally powerful when the main heroine does something that you know is a bad idea but at the same time not doing it will result in death. It makes her this really badass character. AND OMG I LOVED HER! I get really frustrated with conventional romance novels because they're always happy endings and no one ever has to do anything questionable. 

This is completely off topic, but I'm reading the Surreality Tumblr page and the "S*T weekly scoop double scoop guest special bonanza" totally made my day. Everyone should follow this blog and read this stuff, it's absolutely hilarious!

Also, that Chinese zodiac in the end was exactly what I needed, despite what year it was for.

http://surreality-rp.tumblr.com/tagged/weston-finnagle

So that is what I'm reading right now.. or was..

I shall gripe about why the URL says Weston Finagle and not Tristan Oculatus

Thanks for the support! If public demand remains high, Tristan might just gather enough funds to bail Weston out from jail to do another scoop.

Woah jail?!

It was definitely the crappy drawing of pompadour guy that caught my attention.

At least now I have something to look forward to on my tumblr.. haha

Weston Finagle's pursuit of journalistic excellence will not be deterred by incarceration! No government, corporation or institution shall silence his voice of truth!

Stay tuned for Weston Finagle's next special -- Alcatraz: How I Learnt To Stop Worrying And Drop The Soap!

the crappy drawing of pompadour guy

Quoted for emphasis, Weston. :P

James Clavell's Shogun. I love James Clavell, he weaves some of the most intricate, and enjoyable stories. But i've read it a ton of times over, already. I have a bad habit of reading the same books over and over again, only occasionally adding a new favourite to my repertoire which then also, gets read to death. 

I recently picked up a few scientific journals on neuroscience and its applications in black hole compression theory. The potential uses could be world-changing.