Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pain

What do you collect?

19 posts in this topic

If anything. Although most do have one thing they like to buy/find, even if they don't realise it.

Last year, I started collecting different editions/covers of The Lords of the Rings. The reason I actually started this thread, was because one of our customers brought me in a copy today, and it's ooooold. I don't have that many yet {I need to have a good eBay session, and hit some book fairs}, but I have a little mixture of movie and classic covers.

This is the one I got given today. This was his own personal copy, not one he just found for me, and he gave it to me for my collection. How amazing is that?

20140303_202809_zps91c87bf2.jpg

I'm actually not sure how old it is, as there are so many dates on the inner cover.

Can anyone make sense of this?

20140303_202832_zpse844d50d.jpg

It's a hardback, it's all three books in one, and the paper is really thin {like a bible}, so is that India paper? I just have no idea which date is right for the book lol

Sooooo, what do my S*Ters collect? Post pictures and shit if you have them

:D

Oh, I also collect make up too, but it isn't as cool as books

xD

1 person likes this

I love this idea of a thread. Well, I don't have pictures, I'm a huge fan of pretty much anything Shin Megami Tensei. I own every game released in America, some figures, the only copies of the short-lived manga they had printed, dvds of the anime series and OVA's they've had, and other such merchandise. But I've been recently planning on using ebay since I noticed I could get some good copies of the Japan only releases in good condition for surprisingly low prices.

I also have just gotten into getting some cool collectibles from Edmund McMillen for his game The Binding of Isaac.

1 person likes this

My most recent collection(I have many) is Monster High dolls. I hunt for deals on them and some of them I repaint.

The disembodied head in there I fully repainted, the naked dark blue one has also had a full body repaint, face still needs work though.

monsterhighcollection_zps86a17f39.jpg

I also collect goblets, wine glasses, and such pieces of drink wear, pretty much all from the thrift store. I also collect random mushroom things, which is funny cause I hate mushrooms but I have a pretty big collection of kitchen items done in mushrooms. I used to be a big collector of glass figurines but have since stopped buying them unless I see one that really screams at me which is usually a dragon or a mermaid, but they're getting rarer and harder to find.

1 person likes this

Magic: the Gathering cards! I love MtG art. Daisuki~

AhpPWfNs.jpg?2

Trading cards are the BEST! They don't collect dust and you can play with them. I will showcase my Pokemon collection, but sadly I do not have them with me at the moment. Pokemon, oh my god~~

I am also trying to collect those souvenir coins that many of Europe's landmarks seem to have. I only have 6 so far though from Chateau de Versailles, Pena Palace, Royal Alcazar, Sagrada Familiar, Sevilla Cathedral, St George's Castle and Torre del Oro. Noooo~ 

I'm sort of starting a collection of books. There's this little shelf I have dedicated to them, see, and I have maybe fifteen of the things?

1 person likes this

I'm actually not sure how old it is, as there are so many dates on the inner cover.

Can anyone make sense of this?

The version I have includes an intro section, "Note on the Text" which talks about the various printings and editions. One thing it mentions is the "Note on the Text" was only first added in the 1987 version, and revised many times since. So whether or not yours has that part can at least tell you if it's pre or post 1987.

It's hard to say which yours is because even the Note doesn't seem to mention any of the "three-in-one" versions. At best it talks of the three-volume editions, which of course are still 3 separate books. I could only guess from the page you showed that it would be the 1976 one simply because that is the latest date. While that list is headed with "first published in one paperback volume", I could only guess that means the first three-in-one was in paperback, and the ones listed afterward may be a mix of paperback and hardcover.

Mine is the swanky 50th anniversary edition:

Photo5-03-2014175310_zps60e35843.jpg

Anyway I guess the only thing I could really be said to collect is these:

Photo3-02-2013124007_zpsdcf1ef1f.jpg

Photo3-02-2013124017_zpsbb9fc4e9.jpg

Photo7-02-2012194317_zps524ff963.jpg

Photo8-02-2012203308_zps3930eca9.jpg

Though now I've too many and no room for them anymore. Plus leaving them out anywhere, they gather too much dust and obstruct dusting of whatever area they're in. I imagine one needs a proper display cabinet or something that can seal. Anyway so they're at the moment just tragically squashed,and falling apart (and, er, one is unfinished) in a corner:

Photo5-03-2014175142_zps1cf3538e.jpg

(I think I may have entirely lost Exia's head D:)

1 person likes this

Ahhhh, Kyrios! If you have not enough space to keep them at home, send your Gundam models to me! I'll keep them for you XD

Noooooo Exia

I've got a (terrible) idea. Wheatley shall make a worthy replacement for Exia's lost head!

I had Exia (Seven Swords), Seraphim, Raphael and Cherudim too, but encountered the same hassle of space and trying to keep them dust-free. I think they might be languishing in a dark corner of the house somewhere now. Sigh~

Hmm I don't really collect anything. I have a small Tangled shrine in my bedroom and I have some basset hound bric-a-brac in my kitchen, but I wouldn't exactly call it a collection. Atleast not yet. ;D

I collect Hot Wheels cars (even though I'm kinda to old for them), but it's actually not that bad as I have A LOT of free time to collect them. I also collect bird feathers and sometimes I collect old and rear coins.

I collect stamps. THE most boring and most typical collection in the universe. I have lots of older stamps and I love when people from overseas send me mail (I have HH's Singapore stamp in a box waiting to soak  :wub: ). Most of my collection consists of United States stamps and I have most sets from the 1900s. Most of them are cancelled, since uncancelled stamps are worth so much money it's unreal. I have a few big binders with sleeves to keep them in, as well as a smaller binder to showcase all of my foreign stamps. My favourite of the foreign stamps are probably stamps from the UK. Most of the series stamps there have a cute silhouette of the queen on them, usually in a corner. Sometimes it's embossed even. Anyone in the UK wanna be penpals? Hehehe

I also collect MTG cards. I recently got into Magic and I like having a ton of cards to turn into decks. Actually, the dollar stores here sell packs of 10 completely randomized Magic cards. They have some really old ones in those sometimes.

When I was a kid I collected those "precious moments" figurines, if anyone knows what I mean. Mostly, my mom collected them and kept them in my room. They were cute, I'll probably give them to my daughter someday haha. 

I collect stamps. THE most boring and most typical collection in the universe. I have lots of older stamps and I love when people from overseas send me mail (I have HH's Singapore stamp in a box waiting to soak  :wub: ). Most of my collection consists of United States stamps and I have most sets from the 1900s. Most of them are cancelled, since uncancelled stamps are worth so much money it's unreal. I have a few big binders with sleeves to keep them in, as well as a smaller binder to showcase all of my foreign stamps. My favourite of the foreign stamps are probably stamps from the UK. Most of the series stamps there have a cute silhouette of the queen on them, usually in a corner. Sometimes it's embossed even. Anyone in the UK wanna be penpals? Hehehe

I also collect MTG cards. I recently got into Magic and I like having a ton of cards to turn into decks. Actually, the dollar stores here sell packs of 10 completely randomized Magic cards. They have some really old ones in those sometimes.

When I was a kid I collected those "precious moments" figurines, if anyone knows what I mean. Mostly, my mom collected them and kept them in my room. They were cute, I'll probably give them to my daughter someday haha. 

How do you know how much your stamps are worth? E-bay? I have had an old set of stamps since forever. I wonder if it's worth anything at all~ $.$

Precious Moment figurines. Not the Kimidolls?

How do you know how much your stamps are worth? E-bay? I have had an old set of stamps since forever. I wonder if it's worth anything at all~ $.$

Precious Moment figurines. Not the Kimidolls?

Ummm. I've actually just come to know the value of certain popular stamps from stamp shows. The others I've gotten from trading extras for other people's extras... There's not a whole lot of money in cancelled stamps, I mostly just like them because they look cool and are interesting pieces of history. If you have uncancelled stamps, I would do much research before parting with them. :) If you'd like I can help you figure out what they're worth! 

As for the figurines, I'm talking about these. You always know they're the precious moments one, because they all have that same sad face, haha!

@Nikkia:  Dude that is a bad ass old school collection!  My dad was something of a stamp collector when he was young...  I think I still have his collection floating around here somewhere.

@Pain:  Oooohhhh  what a beautiful book....   I love older books, especially the smell, oddly enough.  The pages just have that particular odor to them...  hard to describe other than "Old book smell"

Anyways, I think that'd be from the early 70's, probably the 72 version.   India paper is that very thin bible paper.

My nicest version is from the early 90's (I wanted a version that came out before the movies xD), and has a neat painting on the dust jacket.   Leafing through it just reminded me how much I adore the book.  The maps are still works of art!

As to collections....   i used to collect shotglasses, but that has since fallen to the wayside, mostly cause I dont travel anywhere to buy them anymore.

I guess for a more modern collection, theres Warhammer minis.    I mostly do commission work anymore, but i still have a decent collection outside of that.   mostly unpainted or messily painted, but there are a few pieces I really like in there...   One day I really gotta go through and photograph some of them.

Yay! Collections!

I collect a lot of things. :(

* Pokemon cards (BW series and up)

* Pokemon plush/figures (most Eevleeutions, Scraggy, Mincinno... Really any of my favorites--mainly American released)

* FFVIII Figures

* FFIX Figures

* Tidus from FFX figures

* Big Boss figures
* Metal Gear Solid reprints (mostly Snake Eater and Peacewalker)

* Figures of games/TV shows that I like, in general

* Schiling bird figures

* Digimon cards and new Digimon Fusion toys

* Shirt a day shirts

* Peter Pan (mostly Disney)

... I'm sure there's more. :(

I help Antwaine collect Monster High dolls, as well. Haha.

Oh, I also have 'abandoned' collections, primarily Sailor Moon cards, but I also collected other Sailor Moon paraphernalia. I had an entire series of the cards completed (there were like 3 different series to my knowledge, possibly more but I only ever collected ones in English), the final series in manga which was never released in a dub anime, along with the inner scouts' 'booklets,' and a handful of the comics. I still hoard these nostalgic pieces in my bedroom. ^^ Of course, I'd still jump at the chance to buy a Sailor Saturn figure that wasn't an arm and a leg.

Thanks DD and Asura for the help with dating the book. And DD, the edition you have is beautiful! I'm going to have to track it down.

Really great to see other people's collections, especially with pictures. Ack, BIG surprise to see Pokemon on your list.

:P

1 person likes this