Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ethereal

MAGIC: THE GATHERING, MAFIA EDITION VIII (SIGN-UP THREAD)

41 posts in this topic

Magic: the Gathering, Mafia Edition VIII

OrljWJ1.png

Preamble

You are a Planeswalker, a powerful mage with the ability to travel across worlds in the Multiverse. As rare sentient beings born with “the sparkâ€, an ineffable essence that allows you to travel through the Aether, each of you have dedicated your life to the exploration of the Multiverse, the discovery of strange secrets and experiences, and the plumbing of the depths of your own soul.

However, the Multiverse now faces a threat to its very existence. Nicol Bolas, the Tyrant of Worlds, has hatched a plan to reverse The Mending and regain the powers of immortality he had lost during the phenomenon. Once that happens, it will only be a matter of time before he achieves dominion over all existence in the Multiverse.

All of you have gathered to avert this catastrophe, but news has reached you that Nicol Bolas has already corrupted some among you. You must eliminate the Agents of Bolas hiding amongst you and thereby foil Nicol Bolas’ nefarious schemes, so that the Multiverse may be safe once more.

Introduction

This is a Mafia game based on the Magic: the Gathering. Each one of you is a unique Planeswalker from the MtG canon with a unique Ability. During the Day phase, you will discuss and debate among yourselves in order to weed out the Agents.

During the Night phase, you will enter the Aether and prepare to do battle against each other. You will fight by drawing Mana from the Multiverse and spending it to cast spells.

In this version of the Mafia game, the only advantage the Agents have over the Planeswalkers is the secret group chat. Otherwise, everyone has access to the same spells and has 1 unique trait that is independent of his alignment.

Game Notes

Planeswalkers

Each Planeswalker has the following stats:

1.     Alignment – There are only two sides: Planeswalker (Good) and Agent of Bolas (Evil) [Hidden]

2.     Life Points (LP) – When this is reduced to 0, you die. [Visible to all]

3.     Color Identity – There are five colors in MtG:
White is the color of Protection

Black is the color of Death
Green is the color of Nature
Red is the color of Impulse

Blue is the color of Manipulation.

Each Planeswalker is of at least 1 Color. Some may belong to 2 Colors.  [Visible to all]

4.     Ability – A unique, passive feature driven by your Spark. These trigger whenever you cast a spell or are targeted. They may tack on an additional effect to your spell, affect the casting cost of spells, or nullify the effect of certain spells cast on you. [Hidden]

5.     Mana pool – The amount of mana the Planeswalker currently has to cast spells with. [Hidden]

Day phase

During this phase, each Player may take any number of the following actions:

1.     Landfall – Happens automatically. You gain 1 mana in the color of your Color Identity, abbreviated as W, B, R, G, U.

2.     Fateseal a Target- A player who has been Targeted for Fateseal by a majority of players 24hrs after the start of a Day phase or at the end of the Day phase will have his current Mana pool revealed to everyone.

3.     Flashback a Target - A player who has been Targeted for Flashback by a majority 24hrs after the start of a Day phase or at the end of the Day phase will have the last spell he had casted revealed to everyone.

4.     Scry a Target - A player who has been Targeted for Scry by a majority 24hrs after the start of a Day phase or at the end of the Day phase will have his Ability revealed to everyone.

5.     Annihilate a Target - A player who has been Targeted for Annihilate by a majority at the end of the Day phase will be destroyed. This cannot be blocked or countered.

Night phase

During this phase, each player may take 1 of the following actions:

1.     Landcycle – Change the color of 1 of your mana. If you do not spend the mana to cast a spell during the next Night phrase, it changes back to its original color.

2.     Cast a spell – To do so, you must pay mana in the correct colors and number.

About Spells

·      All players share the same pool of spells regardless of Alignment.

·      Planeswalkers’ spells will resolve before the Agents’ during the Upkeep (takes place at the start of each Day phase).

·      All spells consume the mana spent to cast them regardless of whether it actually achieves anything.

·      The only exception is if multiple players cast a spell on a Target and it dies to the first spell, then the mana for the subsequent spells will get refunded to the Players.

·      Spells cast and their targets each Night phase will be revealed at the start of the following Day phase. However, it will not be revealed who casted which spell.

·      The format for reading the spell chart is:
Name of Spell [Cost] – Effect

Faith’s Shield [W] – Target player gains Protection from a Color of your choice this Night Phase. He cannot be affected by spells of that Color.

Gods Willing [W] – Target creature gains Protection from a Color of your choice this Night Phase.
Rest for the Weary [W1] – Target player gains 5 life.

Oblivion Ring [W2] – Target player is removed from the game during the next Day and Night phase. During this time, he cannot participate in the thread at all and is considered ‘dead’. I.e. If the last Agent of Bolas is hit by this, the Planeswalkers win. If a Planeswalker is hit by this and the Agents outnumber the Planeswalkers as a result, the Agents win. Otherwise, he’s back in the game at the following Day phase.

Thoughtseize – This reveals the last spell casted by the target player.

Doomblade [b1] – Destroy target creature.

Hero’s Downfall [bB1] – Destroy target player.

Savage Summoning [G] – The spell cast by target player this Night phase cannot be countered.

Manabloom [G] – At the start of the next Day phase, Target player gains 1 extra mana of any Color he chooses on top of the Landfall. You cannot target yourself with this spell. The Target of this spell will not be revealed to everyone during the Upkeep.

Summon Kalonian Tusker [G1] – You summon a Beast (3 Power, 3 Toughness) and name a Target for it. The creature does nothing the Night phase it is summoned. At the end of the subsequent Night phases, it will deal 3 damage to the Target you have named. It stays on the field until destroyed. You may change the Target at the end of each Night phase (after it has dealt the damage to the last Target), or not designate a Target at all. If the target player has a creature as well, the creatures will inflict 3 damage to each other instead. If you die, the creature disappears too.

Summon Thrun, the Last Troll [GG2] – You summon a Troll Shaman (4 Power, 4 Toughness). It functions like the Kalonian Tusker, except that it cannot be Targeted by spells.

Reverberate [RR] - You copy the spell casted by Target player this Night phase and may cast it if you wish without spending its mana cost. You may choose a new Target for the copied spell. If you don't cast the spell, it will fade away at the end of this Night phase. 

Searing Spear [R1] – Deal 3 damage to target Planeswalker or Creature.

Threaten [R2] – You gain control of Target creature and name a new Target for it. It will start dealing damage to that Target at the end of this Night phase.

Mystic Speculation [U] – This will reveal the Target player’s Trait. If you pay an extra 1 mana, it will reveal his Alignment as well.
Quicken [U] – The spell cast by Target player this Night phase will not have its target revealed to everyone during the Upkeep. This target of this spell will not be revealed either.

Counterspell [U1] – Counter the spell cast(ed) by Target player this night phase. If the target does not cast a spell this Night phase, this spell does nothing (it will still consume mana).

Control Magic [UU2] – Target Planeswalker’s alignment changes from Planeswalker to Agent at the end of this Night Phase. If you pay 1 more mana, the Target of this spell will not be revealed during the next Upkeep.

I'm putting this up now to elicit feedback as well as answer questions about how the game works. I might remove a couple of mechanics if a lot of people find it too complex. 

I'll wait for at least 12 players before I start the game, I believe.

I'll assign Planeswalkers identities in a couple days' time. Here's an example of a Planeswalker:

You are Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver!

zfXclU1.jpg

Alignment: Agent

Life Points: 3

Color Identity: UB

Ability: When you Target a player with a spell, if he/she is casting a spell this Night phase, that spell will be revealed to you. If you wish, you may negate that spell. If you do so, your spell does nothing (it will still consume mana).

Current Manapool:

Everyone's welcome to join.

I am still depressed that I cannot play Maya Iyengar in this game.

When does it start? I'm not free enough to play for a while...

I am still depressed that I cannot play Maya Iyengar in this game.

You can have your character cosplay Maya if you're that desperate~

When does it start? I'm not free enough to play for a while...

It depends on how soon we hit the quota of 12 players. I estimate we'll start around Monday - Wednesday-ish at the earliest!

Crap. I'm actually going to have to withdraw my participation D: I won't be in town next weekend, I completely forgot.. So sorry about that!

It depends on how soon we hit the quota of 12 players. I estimate we'll start around Monday - Wednesday-ish at the earliest!

I won't be free enough to participate proper until late March. That may or may not pose a slight issue.

Well, we only have maybe 3 players so far, so I guess it'll be longer before the game gets running.

Yeah we can keep Nikkia and Soly in the game if we push it to late March. I may also join in then too.

Ice and Sierra might be joining, but no promises.

4.     Scry a Target - A player who has been Targeted for Scry by a majority 24hrs after the start of a Day phase or at the end of the Day phase will have his Trait revealed to everyone.

What is a Trait? I don't remember seeing it mentioned anywhere else.

Also, during landfall, we get 1 mana according to our colour identity. If we're multi-coloured, can we choose which colour we get?

Also, I'll participate in this, but I agree that it should be simplified somehow. Let me see if I've interpreted everything correctly.

During the Day Phase, we basically all vote to do a community action. We get 1 mana to spend during the Night, and then the rest of it is voting. We can vote to reveal various things about people, or everything about a single person (alignment, abilities and all). And then Assassinate them at the end of the day if they're bad.

Then at Night is when the magic happens. You may either change 1 mana's colour to anything else, or you cast 1 spell. Is it possible to cast 2 or more spells if you've the required mana? In any case everyone starts casting spells a la Romance of the 3 Kingdoms. Based on the various players' colour alignments and abilities, we can start assigning roles to them.

However, it seems very hard to assign coherent roles cuz the spells seem very disparate. If you gain control of a creature, you're Red. If you gain control of a player, you're Blue. There're a lot of creature interactions but from what I see only Green can make creatures, so if they don't (or there're not enough to make an impact) these spells are quite useless. Also, it takes 3 White mana to flicker a player but 3 Black mana to destroy a player permanently. Who would choose the former option?

It just seems really hard to strategise cuz there isn't a niche people can fall into for their colours.

I believe that every Planeswalker has a Trait of their own, like the Ashiok example above (although it was named "Ability" there). As for colours, I suppose all players can play all spells by changing their mana colours through landcycle. So your base colour just makes it slightly easier for you to cast spells of your colour.

What is a Trait? I don't remember seeing it mentioned anywhere else.

Octy is right. I renamed 'Traits' as 'Abilities' and missed it out there.

Also, during landfall, we get 1 mana according to our colour identity. If we're multi-coloured, can we choose which colour we get?

Yes. That's a benefit multi-colored Planeswalkers have.

During the Day Phase, we basically all vote to do a community action. We get 1 mana to spend during the Night, and then the rest of it is voting. We can vote to reveal various things about people, or everything about a single person (alignment, abilities and all). And then Assassinate them at the end of the day if they're bad.

Annihilate, but yes.

Then at Night is when the magic happens. You may either change 1 mana's colour to anything else, or you cast 1 spell. Is it possible to cast 2 or more spells if you've the required mana? In any case everyone starts casting spells a la Romance of the 3 Kingdoms. Based on the various players' colour alignments and abilities, we can start assigning roles to them.

However, it seems very hard to assign coherent roles cuz the spells seem very disparate. If you gain control of a creature, you're Red. If you gain control of a player, you're Blue. There're a lot of creature interactions but from what I see only Green can make creatures, so if they don't (or there're not enough to make an impact) these spells are quite useless. Also, it takes 3 White mana to flicker a player but 3 Black mana to destroy a player permanently. Who would choose the former option?

It just seems really hard to strategise cuz there isn't a niche people can fall into for their colours.

You can only cast one spell per night. Octy is also right; your color identity makes it easier for you to cast spells of your colors.

Realized the mechanic doesn't work the way I want it to, so I've added in an additional rule for Landcycle: If you do not spend the mana to cast a spell during the next Night phrase, it changes back to its original color.

So now, if you're non-Black, you'll be able to cast Oblivion Ring but not Hero's Downfall (unless you get an additional mana from Manabloom). You're also able to cast an off-color spell like Kalonian Tusker only on T3. My apologies for the confusion~

The reason why there're so many creature-interaction spells is cuz I see creatures as being potentially being broken. If a Green Agent summons it and another just heaps Protection on it, it'll slay someone every night, on top of the spells the remaining Agents can still sling.

Can we assume the participation of the following people?

1. Demonic Gate

2. Trinity

3. Solynne

4. Drawfag-chan

5. Nikkia

6. Me

7. Ice

8. Sierrazilla

In which case we'll only need 4 more people before we can commence.

Maybe Morita could balance the game for 8 players so that we can start soon!

I think that might be a wise decision. I mean, eight is a fairly well sized group.

I may not be all that free until... until about the 28th, actually; I apologise again. From there, though, it should be smooth sailing for about a month.

Well let's just spend the next 4 days trying to get people, and then we can start on the 28th regardless.

Well, then, I apologise again for causing a further four-day delay.