Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DayDreamer

Spritz speed reading app

7 posts in this topic

So I saw this article recently and I figured it may be of interest given we're all literate here. Basically an app coming that tries to drastically boost reading speed by flashing single words at you in the same spot on the screen, positioned such that you don't need to move your eyes. There's demonstration gifs in the link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/27/spritz-reading_n_4865756.html

While many seem to say it'd surely be harder to remember anything since you can't easily go back or go slowly and take things in, it does supposedly boast a higher rate of comprehension and such anyway somehow.

Thoughts?

I find blinking makes you miss words on the fastest speed. I also wonder at the health implications of not only staring at the screen, but not even moving your eyes at all. But *shrugs* maybe it does work.

Finally, a tool that will let me read Kyo and Val's RP posts in a timely manner!

350 wpm seemed fine for me, but if I really did try 1000, they could replace my novel with text imploring me to obey the Illuminati and I probably won't notice.

3 people like this

No matter what, I still read more slowly on the computer than on paper. Reading on the computer wears my eyes out. ):

I usually speed-read my books, so 500wpm was fine for me. Although this app does help to increase reading speed, it still does have some limitations. I found that my personal speed-reading style not only involves looking at the "Optimal Recognition Point" (ORP) of each word individually, but the ORP of the entire sentence or line at times (which means that sometimes I skip entire words while reading). I'm not sure if this will be faster than what this app can do, given that it flashes every word in the story.

It's an interesting app, though. I think I'm going to try using it to find out what's my maximum reading speed.

For a while I wasn't sure if this was Trinity the Scientist from the Future talking. I mean, "Optimal Recognition Point"?

In any case, as idols, we rarely have much time to read. However, I do make sure to read enough in order to write beautiful song lyrics~.

I'm referring to the terms used in the article. We often do that, even while writing scientific journals. Copying from one source is called "plagiarism", but copying from many sources is called "research". *nods wisely*

I found that my personal speed-reading style not only involves looking at the "Optimal Recognition Point" (ORP) of each word individually, but the ORP of the entire sentence or line at times (which means that sometimes I skip entire words while reading). I'm not sure if this will be faster than what this app can do, given that it flashes every word in the story.

Actually I think it already cuts out the sorts of words people skip/ignore, at least in those demos. That said I don't know how that would work for random texts; I don't imagine there's a way to automatically filter unnecessary words accurately, since a word may have different levels of necessity depending on context.

At any rate, if one can manage the 1000wpm speed with it, which talks of resulting in finishing a full novel in under 2 hours, then I don't think you could match it normally even if it does show every single word that you'd normally skip over.