Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fingerpuppet

The Typical Tavern

9 posts in this topic

Props if you recognise where the name of the thread comes from.  Us Loathers need to stick together.

So, I was thinking of setting up a plotless roleplay, designed specifically for Students to get at least five posts in so everyone could see how they were at playing.  Naturally, it'd have to be a neutral setting, perhaps a pub, or an entire village, based around the general area that a DnD group end up in after a long, satisfying dungeon crawl.  But just having it for students is selfish; it should also be a place where Graduates can come to practice their skills, or meet-and-greet the newbies while they wait for posts to materialise in their other roleplays.

But that's boring, I hear you all collectively cry.  What's to keep our interest in yet another one of these damn tavern-things that look so good on paper?

Okay.  Imagine that the place is based upon Castle Heterodyne, complete with a (twisted?) personality of it's own and the ability to rearrange it's own internal structure.  Imagine also that there are plot hooks around the place as well, and that completing one changes the physical layout of the place to reflect the outcome.  I'm going to, um, borrow an idea from a different plot-hook thread and I'm going to have to insist that people on a plot have to put the location of their characters at the top of every post.  It's a bit more work, but it saves people getting confused about where everyone is and missing posts, or accidentally replying to things that they think are happening around them.

Hopefully, I won't explode from the effort of keeping this monster running.  I do like jumping in at the deep end.

Yes, there will be a plague of drunken rats in the basement.

Feedback on this idea would be nice.

Are there Frat Orcs?

Tell me there are Frat Orcs in this place.

There... might be Frat Orcs.  They might even be engaged in paddling each other, skeeving out customers, getting riotously drunk and providing an under-the-counter trade in Depantsing bombs and the like, should certain plot hooks demand it.  I certainly can't object if someone introduces them or demands requests that they be present.

Well, what kind of characters are allowed in this, anyway?

Other than Seal Clubbers. It is WRONG to have an RP like this and completely neglect the generic Northern barbarian dudes.

Oh, great skies, this would be so awesome. Like, a place where characters can just randomly show up and chill.

And once again, Rael Lofe intervenes and robs me of my coveted Preciousss.  I mean internet.  Bit of a let-down, that.

Btw, Solystice, there are several incarnations of this idea rolling around the internets, in several unnamed RPG forums.  Not many are long-lived, but the few that are need constant attention in order to keep the interest of their players.  The entire idea is that they're a place to chill out and maybe engage in non-canon character development, and also try out new, untested characters.

Enigma:  Why the hell not?  Be both - just don't break the forum rules, which I'm sure you know better than me.

Owait.  You meant in the active thread.  My bad. =D

wstfgl: I remember that name!  Not sure if you're the same wst as I remember, but ANYWAY!  I'm sure if someone makes a seal clubber, there will be a seal clubber.  There may be a Bashyalike too, just because I used to like the sentence structure.  He might even have a quest that involves bashing the things that Bashy bashed.

This is all assuming that I gets my internets back on a regular basis, of course.  Should my current plans come to fruition, it'll be about a week or so before I can actually get it on a regular basis.

I'm the Wstfgl that's on KOL. Haven't played for ages though. I don't hang out on other forums on the internet much, so if you saw a Wst anywhere else it might be an impostor I have to challenge to a showdown to the death.

Sounds like fun.. I might join :D I'd surely be an elf with too much self esteem, who flirts and ends up getting beaten up or something

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0