Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rubberrazors

Artistic Thrift Shop

14 posts in this topic

ARTISTIC THRIFT SHOP
Community Pool of Helpful Resources!

(Last Edited 19Nov: added my Tumblr!)

So, if you're anything like me you like a good mega-list of art references, guides and tutorials even for crap you don't ever plan on doing. The problem I have is that I still end up with a ton of mega-lists that I'm going back and forth between. Well, with this thread I'm hoping to alleviate that problem for all us artists whether you draw, write, play music, etc. With help from the community, I'm going to compile a list of resources whether they are individual pieces or a big collection, including our own work on Surreality (with permission)! I'll start out with the stuff I use on a regular basis but there are some things I must ask from you all;

1. Give credit where credit is due (if applicable). Any uncredited works will be researched but, y'know, make my job easier, yeah? 
  2. Please mark any of your suggestions that are NSFW as NSFWAs long as it's clearly for artistic purposes, I will accept appropriate dong and boob drawing tutorials unless the Mods say otherwise.
  3. When you submit suggestions please follow it with a brief description if need be.

And remember that this will be a continuous work in progress.

1. NAVIGATION

Please navigation and your browser's search tool to find the specific section you would like. As I add more material, Navigation will expand.

2. SEARCH IT

3. MEGA-LISTS

4. ILLUSTRATION

4.1 Anatomy

4.1.1 Human

4.1.1.1 Women's Anatomy

4.1.1.2 Men's Anatomy

4.1.2 Animals (empty)

4.2 Landscape (empty)

4.2.1 Perspective (empty)

4.3 Color Theory and Related Subjects

4.3.1 Color Theory

5. DIGITAL

5.1 Paint

5.2 Design

5.4 Color Theory and Related Subjects (Again)

5.4.1 Color Theory (Again)

6. WRITING

7. MUSIC

7.1 General Music (empty)

7.2 Guitar

8. MISCELLANEOUS

9. TOOLS OF TRADE

9.1 Shops

9.2 Programs (empty)

9.2.1 Custom Brushes and Tools

10.  SURREALITY ORIGINALS

11. PRACTICE

2. SEARCH IT

Believe it or not, Google isn't your only friend. If you search Reddit, Tumblr, even freaking Youtube you will be bombarded with some good and bad results. If you can't find what you're looking for then you are either trying to do some weird things you weirdo or you're obviously not even looking as they only always have something for something. If you still can't find it this could be a good place to ask your fellow members for help!

3. Mega-Lists

ALL MEGA-LISTS MAY CONTAIN NSFW MATERIAL.

• Artist Hospital (Deviantart) is great and used to be my one-stop-shop for everything (before I got onto Tumblr). They have so much great stuff that they have a Mega-List for their Mega-Lists. Most of the resources here are awesome while some fall short (in my opinion) but it's a good place to browse around and fill your resource folder like I did.
  • Human Proportions (Tumblr) is just that; a blog that gathers up all tutorials, references and guides for drawing that sexy body you're looking for. Content ranges from user submitted guides to traditional art pieces. Whatever gets your draw on, y'know?
  • artist-refs (Tumblr) is another Tumblr blog that mostly gathers their junk from Deviantart but you can also catch some videos and such as well. It covers a bit more than just the human anatomy, however.
  • IDK How to Art (Tumblr) is basically the same as above but still a good blog to follow and browse.
  • Art and Sterf (Tumblr) is another Mega-List that has more Mega-Lists and sometimes those sub-mega-lists has even more! They don't just do coloring but also writing and animating, etc.
  • Some references for Beginners and Masters of Comics Storytelling (Reddit) is self explanatory. It's not as long and you may have seen some of this stuff in the other mega-lists but still check it out for a more comic storytelling related material.
  • 102 Resources for Fiction Writing (Self) is self-explanatory. From outlining and plots to characters and dialogue, this should be able to get you out of the slump one way or another!
  • Elfwood (Self) gives you FARP: Fantasy Art Resource Project. They cover Art, Writing, and other stuff that you can use for more than just the fantastical genre!
  • rubberrazor's resources (1) (2)(Tumblr) Hey it's me! Anytime I see a helpful or inspiring resource on my dash I reblog it to one of the two tags (eventually to only be "resource"). I am admittedly pretty biased as it is my own tag but I feel I reblog enough material to help you as well!
Edited by rubberrazors
2 people like this

4. ILLUSTRATION

4.1 Anatomy

How do all the muscles work?

4.1.1 Human

MM-MM! That sure is a sexy butt!

• ProkoTV (YouTube) produces some great videos about figure drawing. He goes into some fine detail to help you understand the how the process can be both intricate and easy with practice!
  • Sycra (YouTube) is almost like your typical college art class. You might know of it's Coil Technique video, Sycra does figure drawing, color theory, product reviews, etc.
  • PoseManiacs (Self) should already be on your own list, you goof! Posemaniacs has a plethora of poses and body shapes for reference only. By that I mean you should still have a basic knowledge of human anatomy to work with these poses they are not meant to be 100% accurate when it comes to muscle strcuture/movement, etc.

4.1.1.1 Women's Anatomy

4.1.1.2 Men's Anatomy

4.1.2 Animals

Because we don't already have enough furries out there.

4.2 Landscape

The key is a lot of rocks.

4.2.1 Perspective

"F*ck these buildings, man!!"

4.3 Color Theory and Related Subjects

Black and White is such an eyesore.

4.3.1 Color Theory

"Why is everything always blue and orange?"

• Color Scheme Design (Self) gives you plenty of options to make it easy to pick and choose colors.

5. DIGITAL

5.1 Paint

I.E. reasons why 95% of new artists want a Cintique.

• Ctrl+Paint (Self) offers many videos that teaches you the artform of digital painting and technique mostly for free! The reason I added "mostly" is because it also offer Premium Videos that many people want (and maybe find worth it).

5.2 Design

Now you too can make some work of out out of squares and lines!

• changeofthought (Self) should give you plenty of inspiration with its collection of amazing graphic design work! I believe it offers more than GD as well.

5.3 Pixel Art

Yes, Pixle Art is in my bookmarks so I might as well add it in here.

• gas13 (Self) offers some nice and thorough tutorials on making Pixel Arts. And oh hey look! Some other tutorials as well!
  • Dragonfly Cave's (Self) spriting guide will let you make your own Pokemon junk just like all the other losers at there (<3).

5.4 Color Theory and Related Subjects (Again)

Black and White is such an eyesore.

5.4.1 Color Theory (Again)

"Why is everything always blue and orange?"

• Color Scheme Design (Self) gives you plenty of options to make it easy to pick and choose colors.

6. WRITING

The next Kephen Sting. (will further expand sections later)

• Seventh Sanctum (Self) is all about generatorrrrsssss. Sometimes people even use them to actually write about stuff! Can you bleieve that?!
  • DailyWritingTips (Self) is self-explanatory with their more prominent tips displayed on their right side-bar. Believe it or not, they're pretty good at updating!
  • Serendipity (Self) contains more generators. Apparently, they have recently resetted due to spammers but they still have good offers.

7. MUSIC

7.1 General Music

I like to call this "Trash Cans Against My Neighbor's Walls".

7.2 Guitar

Get blisters! Develop calluses!

• JustinGuitar (Self) offers a whole freaking bunch of lessons and practice material. I'm sorry as I haven't gone through the site myself yet (it was on my to-do list...) but it came highly recommended!

8. MISCELLANEOUS 

Edited by rubberrazors
1 person likes this

9. TOOLS OF THE TRADE

9.1 Shops

Buy your way to fame, son.

• Blick (Self) is basically all I ever buy my art supplies from anymore. It's an unhealthy habit. Someone help me.

9.2 Programs

You should already know a majority of these programs that I'll list later, but I'll do it anyways eventually.

9.2.1 Custom Brushes and Tools

"Is it so much to ask for free awesome brushes," said everyone always.

• Frenden's Brushes (Self) a.k.a my favorite brushes of all time. For MangaStudio and Photoshop.
  • FADE IN (Animation World Network) guides you into formatting your document into scriptwriting. You can then further customize it how you want. I do this.

10. SURREALITY ORIGINALS

We're all a bunch of artistic dicks.

• DragonGuard's Dragon Guard Armor: Be a nerd and make some armor! But in all seriousness, DragonGuard talks about his project using pepakura (1, 2). His thread and answers to questions gives a good summary of the hobby!

11. PRACTICE
Because you haven't found that magic genie lamp yet.

• SketchDaily (Reddit) is a fun little subreddit that gives you daily themes to do some sketches. In other words would you draw already sheesh.
  • NaNoWriMo (Self), or National Novel Writing Month, is your write of passage into the industry (once you've failed the first year). It takes place every year in November with a goal to write a full novel by the end of the month. Oh, woops I made a typo.
  • Language Is A Virus (Self) offers some fun exercises and games for writers. But being a writer, you'll still probably hate yourself in the end.
Edited by rubberrazors
1 person likes this

Strange, never heard of /r/Sketchdaily until now. Seems like a good thing to try since I'm pure awful at drawing and trying to get back into it.

It's pretty good as you don't even have to submit anything, just participate and practice at least once daily.

This is a freaking awesome idea. I'll definitely be adding some suggestions in future! 

Huge edits adding the majority of my stuff. Still missing things that I'll find eventually. My focus now is organizing and proof-reading.

Sorry it's such an eyesore. I'll work on that.

This is a great idea! ♥ I'll definitely collect some stuff to submit soon~ 

Thanks, Kels! I've formatted the eyesore and added DragonGuard's armor making thread. With that down I'll be going through my Tumblr sometime this week for more things. I:

I'd like to suggest scholar.google.com for the writing section. Perhaps not as useful for creative writing but its a great way to condense your search for research and provides citations where possible.

Edit: also I pinned the topic since its so gosh darn useful!

Noted! I'll be putting it in my list of new additions that I will hopefully do at the end of this week. I'm gonna try to do them big chunks at a time and also I'll be traveling back home so we'll see.

Also, thank you for the pin!

A long overdue update, my Tumblr! I added my tags resource and resources (when I get around to it it will all be in just the resource tag) to the mega-mega-list! It's only one addition, but plenty of material and I'm constantly adding to it!

And to keep this thread not-dead, I plan on doing either weekly or bi-weekly Spotlights, where I do the obvious- spotlight a resources that I find incredibly helpful, thorough and/or just damn awesome. It'll mostly be used for individual resources that I feel deserves more attention than the rest without having to crowd the mega-mega-list piece by piece.

Finally, I've also been planning out a Creative Game Show, where I have little fun games where we all create stuff based on the subject the host (me???) provides. I have to make sure there'd be adequate participation before I use up a thread on it, however.

Keep creative!

That sounds interesting and helpful, Anna! Good work!! Looking forward to seeing what you put together.