DayDreamer

*~<B/est>~* Episode Three: RIP Dayereth

116 posts in this topic

With the teams evidently settled, Sierra herded them all out to the monorail track and left them to their devices.

 

"Well, I dunno about all of you but I've only explored A, B, and C islands, according to the map." Dei admitted. "So I suppose we can either explore other places while patrolling, or visit known areas. E and H look to be the larger ones, so personally I'd vote we head to one of those first."

 

Dei checked his skin and made sure he was in Windsoul form. He figured flight would be a more handy ability in a sudden pinch, whilst in the city, than his acid surge would be.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Alright, let's hurry. To Zone H on the monorail, by Avandra's grace!" 

 

Bachydios ushered the troupe onto the next train bound for Central Avalon. The train was conspicuously empty, thanks to the imperial curfew. He pressed his face against the windows to take in the city's architecture as much as possible. He usually hated the town exploration part of RPGs, but being able to visit new areas and take in all the sensations they have to offer was a treat indeed.

 

"Shall we do profiling while we wait? What sort of folks should we look out for? We've gotta ask around about the politics once we hit the centre, hm?"

 

The trip was a very brief one, however. Barely a spell later, they had arrived at the very heart of Avalon and alighted, maintaining a loose formation with Korrelia in the center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite the Imperial Curfew the streets of Central Avalon were filled with people waiting to catch a glimpse of the Imperial Family and dozens of Guards to ensure the safety of the Family. As soon as the train left the station the crowds started to gather on top of the rails, well aware that it’d take some time for the monorail to make another stop at the Central Avalon station.

When compared to North Avalon, East Avalon and Adventurer’s Island it was quite obvious that Central Avalon was the wealthiest district. The civilians were dressed in colourful clothing made of expensive looking linens and silks. The many buildings were all painted with predominantly white and blue, creating a uniform picture with only the impressive architecture forming the distinguishing aspect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Wooooooah. Look at all the affluence. We're underdressed. Isn't blue and white the colors of Bahamut? Or was it Correllon?"

 

Bachydios pointed at the tallest building, narrowly missing someone's eye by inches, and called out," That's me and you up there, Dei! The rest should go chat up some folks and see what route the Imperial Family will take once they're here. Stick to them when they do and leave any ranged threats to us. We'll storm down like Kord's lightning cavalry if we see something."

 

Once he got up top, he assembled Tenser's Floating Disk immediately so that he could react at a moment's notice. He spread out the dirt from the ritual satchet, inscribed some runes onto them and left them to clump together and grow in size.

 

[Arcana check for Tenser's Floating Disk

/roll 1d20+10

Result: 27. Disc has maximum load of 1000 pounds]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Valandra stepped silently up behind Korrelia and Dayereth, casually scanning the area for potential threats or escape routes. She hated fighting in crowds. The chance of collateral damage was just too high. Nevertheless, to her, the quest seemed to be pretty obvious. Someone was probably going to attack the Imperial Family once they walked through this path, and it was probably up to them to protect the Emperor. Right now it was her duty to protect her teammates, though, and she kept a close distance from them. If any one of them were jumped, she could activate her Dimensional Warp power to switch places immediately.

 

She shifted up towards a random civilian standing by the roadside, pretending to look out for the Imperial Family. "So, they're coming through this road?" Valandra asked casually. "How many of them do you think will be passing by?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Korrelia liked mingling in cities. It resembled her old days IRL, which she realised she sorely missed. The bliss of just walking down the streets, not expecting anything to jump you at any moment. Her Passive Perception was always on the alert, though, as her teammates took up positions. The atmosphere seemed ripe for a performance, and so she set a stool down together with her harp, and began playing a pleasant, high-spirited song. Before long, passers-by were turning their heads at her.

 

Well this mission was about blending in, right? Korrelia was just doing it in a different way from others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“What’s she doing?â€

“Who let the peasant into Central Avalon?â€

“Guards! That woman is making so much noise, make her stop!â€

A tall Imperial Guard, clad in full plate armor with a white cloak and armed with a shield and sword strapped to his back, approached Korrelia. “Miss,†he said, “you are bothering  everyone. Could you please stop.†Despite the fact that he was trying to sound stern, Korrelia could easily tell that he didn’t really care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Travelling musicians aren't allowed in here?" sighed Korrelia, feeling her musical senses stifled. Well if people were complaining, it must mean her musical aptitude wasn't quite there yet. Perhaps her Harp was so jarring that it could only be used to kill enemies and not entertain people. She reluctantly put it away. Nothing interesting was happening, and now her fingers were twitching from the unwarranted interruption.

 

An enemy had better come around about now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"No idea," the civilian answered, "depends on how many Guards the Emperor brings along."

Before long the gates of the Imperial Palace opened and six pairs of Guards came marching out onto the streets followed by two white horses pulling a white and blue carriage with another dozen Guards marching behind it.

Once the crowd noticed they stopped paying attention to Korrelia and started waving, shouting and pushing each other to get a better look at the Imperial carriage. The crowd starting shoving so frantically that the Guard standing over the seated Kalashtar was pushed on top of her.

“Sorry,†he said as he lifted his heavy armor-clad body off of her.

Shouting quickly turning into cursing as everyone started to get extremely annoyed with the other members of the crowd and it did not take long before people started punching each other. Even the rich and snobby could get into brawls. Guards acted quickly to put a stop to the fights before anyone could get seriously hurt.

Despite all the violence the crowd was smart enough to move aside when the Guards escorting the carriage approached, ensuring that the Imperial family wasn't bothered by the crowd in the slightest, but by the time carriage reached the Temple all hell broke loose.

From all random points in the crowd several fruits, but mostly tomatoes, were thrown in the direction of the carriage. The Guards escorting the carriage ignored it, but the ones patrolling the area drew their swords and started searching for the perpetrators. Korrelia didn’t notice all of them, but the few people she saw throwing fruit were obviously less wealthy than the majority of the crowd. Dei also managed to catch a glimpse of one of the perpetrators from the roof of a nearby house.

Panic broke out among the crowd. The many finely dressed men and women begun screaming and running for their homes as they did their best to avoid crossing paths with the Guards on a mission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bachydios peered at the swarming crowd from his vantage point. Woah, that escalated quickly.

 

"Alrighty, I think we can leave the Imperial family to the guards accompanying them actually, since their levels are higher than ours. Our priority's probably to calm this mess. Dei, how about you try swooping down on the mob and see if you can interrogate one of them? It's probably just a general unrest, but you never know; there might be a conspiracy afoot. We should probably also try to separate out the aggressors from the rich folks and incapacitate them."

 

"Hm, probably the ones with fruit. I'll stay close to you. If you can point them out to me, I'll hit them with Winged Horde."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the chaos broke out, Dei's keen perception allowed him to spot one of the perpetrators, whilst Bachydios was forming a plan. Dei immediately targeted the offender with his Hunter's Quarry mark, so as not to lose sight of him later. Dei noticed his allies apparently having sighted some offenders themselves, and decided he had an opportunity to do something different with the one he'd identified.

 

"I'm gonna tail the one I spotted. With any luck he may lead me to a gathering place, if this is an organized attack. You guys keep following the royals, I'll rejoin you shortly whether I learn anything or not." he said to Bachydios. "But first, I'll give you a lift."

 

With that, Dei grabbed Bachydios and flew them both down a side of the building that wasn't in view of the marked target. Since that was his encounter Windwalker used up, now that an encounter had actually begun, he had to make his pursuit of his target on foot, attempting to stay out of sight amidst the crowd.

 

 

[skill Challenge: 6 Stealth Successes before 3 Failures, DC16]

 

[Roll1: 1d20+8: 22 [1d20=14]]

[Roll2: 1d20+8: 25 [1d20=17]]

[Roll3: 1d20+8: 21 [1d20=13]]

[Roll4: 1d20+8: 23 [1d20=15]]

[Roll5: 1d20+8: 27 [1d20=19]]

[Roll6: 1d20+8: 9 [1d20=1]]

[Roll7: 1d20+8: 28 [1d20=20]]

 

[Result: 6 Successes, 1 Failure]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Korrelia had a good vantage point of the proceedings, and as such could see some of the origins of the pelted fruit. She saw Dei and Bachydios in hot pursuit of one of them.

 

"Valandra," she shouted. "I see another one of them near you, over there. Do go up and apprehend the person, if you please, and ask them just what's going on. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on the rest. Dayereth, where're you? Do you see any of them close to you?"

 

She was sure her shouting meant the perpetrators were within hearing range too, but they might be too excited doing whatever they were doing to notice. Besides, she didn't have much choice. The dispersing crowds were making it hard for her to even stay her ground, let alone walk up to whisper to her companions. Once she ascertained that both Valandra and Dayereth had heard her message, she would look out for other guilty parties and make her way to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With everyone else preoccupied, Bachydios decided to keep tabs on the imperial family. He wove his way through the crowd as best as he could. His Floating Disc followed closely behind while barking loudly like a ferocious hound.

 

He drew as close to the temple as he could and approached the guard protecting the carriage.

 

"I'm from one of the guilds assigned to law enforcement. Where else will the imperial family pass through next? We will help with securing those areas."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dayereth bit his tongue to stop himself from snapping at the useless plebians who had begun to criticize their beautiful, talented guild leader. He didn't even understand why they were on this silly mission anyways. Weren't the guards stronger than them? If someone was out to get the snooty royal family, what were they supposed to do? Well, besides being cannon fodder.

Still grumbling to himself, he began to watch the foolishly flashy procession, waiting for whatever trouble they were expected to deal with. The crowd began to shove like ill-mannered boors, but that didn't seem to be their concern, since the guards were handling it perfectly fine. Nor did the assault of rotten fruit, but for some reason, the rest of the team sprang into action.

"Yeah, I saw one, 'lia," he shouted back to his leader. "I'm going to see what he knows."

Dayereth stepped lithely through the crowd, making his way toward one of the men he'd seen throwing the food. "Hey, you! I want to help you! I'm part of the guild Surreality United, and we're famous for righting the injustices of this world and bringing peace and prosperity to everyone. This place seems really screwed up, but I don't know why, so wanna get out of here and talk?"

Bluff Check

Roll(1d20)+10:

8,+10

Total:18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Valandra had been expecting the sudden outbreak of chaos. An NPC-given quest couldn't have remained stagnant for long. When she heard Korrelia's voice pointing out one of the perpetrators, she immediately set out towards him, moving silently within the chaotic crowd as she weaved in and out between the civilians until she was standing right next to the man in question. He stood out from the rest from the way he was dressed; unlike the extravagant manner in which most people were dressed, his clothes looked mundane and simple in contrast.
 
While the man was still distracted with the Royal Family, Valandra abruptly hunkered down and slammed her shoulder straight into his back, but he had been on firm footing and managed to withstand her slam with just a mere stumble. That was more than enough for her, though. Taking advantage of his moment of unbalance, Valandra thrust her palm towards the man's neck, tightening her grip around it as she stared straight into his eyes.
 
"Be still if you value your life," she commanded with a firm tone, increasing the temperature on her grip to produce a slight searing sensation around his neck. "I cannot protect you from the guards if you resist. When I release you, call off your friends and meet me at the alley round the corner. Nod once if you understand. Any other action taken, including non-action, will be taken as hostility and your life will be forfeit to the guards. You have three seconds. Three. Two..." Valandra continued to raise the heat level as she pressed harder into his neck, her palm already hot enough to cause minor burns.
 
Strength Check:
Roller timedragon888
Character Valandra
Campaign Surreality
Description Strength check
Results 1d20+1: 13 [1d20=12]
 
Second Strength Check:
Roller timedragon888
Character Valandra
Campaign Surreality
Description Strength check 2
Results 1d20+1: 19 [1d20=18]
 
Intimidate Check:
Roller timedragon888
Character Valandra
Campaign Surreality
Description Intimidate check
Results 1d20: 9 [1d20=9]

 

[Set readied action: If the man tries to escape, Valandra will perform a Grab on him to immobilize him.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dei managed to successfully follow the assailant through the crowd while remaining unnoticed despite the assailant’s wariness. Eventually Dei saw his target move into an alleyway, but by the time he reached it he saw that it was empty. The alleyway lead to a dead end without any doors leading into the enclosing buildings. Dei barely managed to catch a glimpse of the lid of a manhole in the alleyway being pulled close.

---

The Guard wondered what good the puny Tiefling could do, but after quickly thinking it over he knew what to answer. “Our next stop is Warrior’s Island. If you’re that eager to do something you can go play over there.â€

---

Talk? Amidst all the chaos this Eladrin thought that they still had time to go somewhere, sit down, enjoy the sun, have a drink and chitchat. What an idiot, but he did seem trustworthy. “Fine!†The man shouted, “follow me!†The man turned around and started running east until he found an alleyway out of sight of the guards. He shoved the lid of the manhole and hopped inside, waiting for Dayereth to follow.

---

“Excellent job!†A Guard shouted as he approached Valandra, sword in hand. “You kept him busy long enough for me to get here! Excellent, excellent, excellent! Now put him down so I can cut his head off without injuring you. I will have a word with the Captain about you! I am sure you will be rewarded for your courage!â€

---

Korrelia hadn’t moved from her original position yet when she was approached by a man dressed in Hide armor covered by a black long coat, with two bastard swords hanging from his hips. If his unusual dress didn’t make it obvious that he wasn’t an NPC, the blue letters floating above his head should’ve driven that point home. ‘Caelan,’ was his name.

“Well,†he said as he looked at the ensuing chaos around them without paying Korrelia any attention, “this is all a bit tedious.†His slow, bored manner of speaking and emotionless expression went perfectly together. “I expected something interesting, but I guess that is what happens when I try to participate in a Level Three event. How about you, miss Guildmaster, are you having any fun yet?â€

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Valandra turned only slightly, allowing her to see the Guard that spoke to her while still maintaining her grip on the man's throat. "My, my, the death sentence seems like a pretty common punishment in this city," she said with a cynical tone. "Throwing a couple of fruits warrants a beheading, eh? What else warrants a beheading? Farting in public? Or perhaps not holding the door open for a lady?"

 

Her hand stopped heating up, returning to its normal temperature rapidly. "I'm sorry, but I'll have to wait for my Guildmaster to give me instructions before I hand him over to you," Valandra continued. "You see, we're on a quest currently, and this man might just be a critical NPC, you know. If you kill him off, who's going to progress the storyline for us? I'm sure a man like you understands where I'm coming from. Look, my Guildmaster's right there, by the side of that strangely dressed man in the black long coat. I think his name is Caelan! Perhaps he's the mastermind behind all this! Why don't you arrest him instead while I hold this man for you, Mr Guard?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bachydios pulled up his UI with a flick of his hand and examined the holographic map. He moved the window about with a finger until he located its approximate location, then shut it with a pinching gesture.

 

"I see. Our allies already have that area covered."

 

He thanked the guard and made his way back to the carriage. From there, the Tiefling tried to locate his teammates in order to make his way back to them to share with them the information he had learnt. By tiptoeing, he picked out from the crowd Valandra and Korrelia together with someone he didn't recognize, and squeezed his way towards them. His barking Disc followed suit. He wondered where Dei and Dayereth were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dayereth beamed brightly at the man, easily keeping pace as they slipped through the city. His guide seemed to be intimately familiar with the area; quite unfortunately, Dayereth would probably need his help--or someone else's--to get back. Directions had never been his strong point.

When the man pulled the cover off a manhole, though, Dayereth balked. "The sewer? We're going to go through the sewer?" he complained, peering inside. With a resigned sigh, he dropped in, covering his nose with his sleeve as he tried not to breathe. 'lia owes me a new set of clothes after this.

"Someone ought to throw all those prissy prats down here so they can learn that their shit stinks just like everyone else's," he muttered to himself as he waited for his guide to continue. "Anyways, I'm Dayereth, a warlock. Might I have the pleasure of your acquaintance?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Korrelia's face shifted into an automatic smile as someone approached her to talk. She noted his name, Caelan. Caelan... it sounded vaguely familiar, and yet she couldn't register where she might have seen it before. Maybe she had him mixed up with some of her friends back home in reality. Even though she didn't know him, he seemed to know her quite well, enough to be certain that she was the Guildmaster at least. Her advertising efforts must have really gotten their name around.

 

"Well, we're not here for any fun," she grinned sweetly, though she instinctively felt distaste for this man's attitude. "We're on a mission, and we're a little busy to chat currently. You sound plenty confident of your own quest, though. Are you part of a guild, here to round up crooks as well? Our guild's just starting out, so we take every mission that we get very seriously. Of course, if you're free we could always do with a little help."

 

Out of the corner of her eye, she spied Valandra accosting the fruit pelter she had been sent to catch. Well done. She really is fast. But she seemed to be in some kind of dispute with the guard, though Korrelia could not think why she would do that. Weren't they working for them?

 

She also saw Bachydios coming back, looking as though he was brimming with news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dei had a revelation not unlike a movie character realizing their enemy is hiding in the vents. Except in this case, it was the sewers. He briefly considered going in to keep following the man, but felt that there may be little he could do if there was a large group down there, and that it may be more pertinent to get word out instead.

 

He headed back the way he came, until he managed to find Bachydios and Korrelia. He'd been rushing back and was rather out of breath, so he explained rather abruptly. "They're using the sewers, that's where the culprit led me. We should alert the guards so they can seal or otherwise guard the sewer lids and trap them down there - though we'd need someone convincing to talk or they may just brush our intel off. Otherwise, we could just go down there and try to deal with them. Or split up and do both things, since if we go down after them we may not find them before they resurface for another attack." he said, looking to Korrelia to make the call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Korrelia wasted no time hearing Dei and Bachydios' findings, walking away from Caelan momentarily.

 

"The sewers," she muttered. "Are they Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Mm anyway, where's Dayereth?"

 

Indeed, she had lost sight of Dayereth since the action started. From Dei's news, it sounded likely that Dayereth had pursued them into the sewers as well. A wry smile crept into her lips. He was going to grumble all day once he got out.

 

"In that case, Dei and Bachydios, can you both go down into the sewers? Your first priority is to find Dayereth and see if he's in there; he may need reinforcements. I'll speak to the guards. In fact, I see Valandra's conversing with a guard. I'll head over to see what's going on with them."

 

That said, she directed a parting smile at Caelan and headed over to Valandra.

 

"Is anything the matter?" she grinned, while peering at Valandra significantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Oh, yes sir,†the man wiped off his hand on his ragged cloak before extending it to shake Dayereth’s. “My name is Ellis. Follow me, I’ll lead you to our base.â€

Ellis lead Dayereth through a complex maze of tunnels that formed the sewers of Avalon with so many turns that Dayereth realized it would be unlikely for anyone to be able to follow them without any foreknowledge of their path if they were to continue even further.

---

“This is quite the dilemma,†Caelan said as he watched Korrelia split from her group and move towards the Guard and the Genasi. “I’m bored enough to want to follow you two into the sewers, but I don’t want to miss this show… Well, whatever. You guys coming or am I going to the sewers by myself?â€

---

“Seems like I’ll have something entirely new to discuss with my captain! Unfortunate, unfortunate, unfortunate!†The Guard hummed as he briefly pondered over his next course of action. “I have an excellent idea for you! If you let the dog go I will dispatch of him quickly and I’ll ignore your blatant disregard of an Imperial order, your big mouth and the fact that half of what you said is complete nonsense.†The Guard lowered his sword and raised his voice. “Do you truly believe your Guildmaster holds higher authority then our Emperor? What in the hells is an NPC? And that ‘strangely dressed man’ is dressed no stranger than you or your ‘Guildmaster… or do you mean to tell me that you are all in this together?â€

By the time he was done Korrelia had joined the group and asked if anything was wrong. “Tell this person to unhand the criminal so that he may receive his just deserts or she shall share in his punishment.â€

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Great, Ellis!" Dayereth chirped cheerfully as he shook the offered hand, his voice slightly muffled. "Uh... your base wouldn't be down here, right? We're going to go up into a secret room in a tavern or something? And why were you throwing tomatoes, anyways? I'm sure those snots deserved it, but I gotta be fair and all and find out the reason."

Dayereth shrugged, clearly unconcerned with the fact that he'd lost track of where they were a dozen turns ago. Still, it would be nice to have his teammates if anything happened...

"Oh, and you should probably go look for the rest of my friends. There's 'lia, 'landra, Bachy... Well, 'lia's the only one that really matters. She's our guild master, you see," Dayereth rambled on. "Korrelia, I mean. She's a beautiful, talented bard, but the pig-heads up there apparently can't appreciate music, either. In any case, I can help you plead your case with her, and she can call everyone together to help you."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Lead the way, fellow adventurer. Down the rabbit hole we go, with the blessings of Erathis! I hope the sewers don't stink too badly. Poop and heroism do not rhyme or mix well together."

 

Together, the three of them left the bustle of the main street and entered an alleyway with a manhole positioned rather conspicuously at the end. Bachydios peered down at the opening and winced. Eww.

 

"After you, gentlemen."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online