Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TriOctium

Swarm Mystery II: The Reckoning [DISCUSSION]

119 posts in this topic

After mankind’s initial voyage into space was interrupted and ultimately consumed by an alien entity known as The Swarm, the world governments have decided to take a more active role in handling the knowledge that we are not alone in the universe. Three teams of highly specialized and deadly soldiers have been gathered, hand-picked from a pool of humans who are most likely to be immune to the Swarm’s deadly Assimilation. They are given the best weapons and equipment money can buy, and sent out into space in order to gather more information on the alien threat and rescue the lost voyage of scientists. But are they too late?

SWARM MYSTERY II: THE RECKONING

starcraft2_marines.jpg

Your team locates the crashed spaceship off a rocky asteroid twice the size of the Moon, with its chambers utterly destroyed and devoid of life. Your bioscanners detect that lifeforms have been moving from the crash site into a deep crater in the vicinity, and your team decides to explore further. However, the moment the last member of your team descends into the murky darkness, an unearthly voice rings out all around you.

“You are too late…â€

There is a muffled scream from one of your teammates, but the voice is too garbled to tell who. Then another, and yet another.

“You humans are centuries too young to face the might of the Swarm…â€

You try to look around for your team, but all communications between you and the rest of the world have been cut off. Something must be jamming your transmitter. Looks like you’ll have to rely on a more primitive communication system if you wish to contact your team members. You reach to switch on your flashlight, but it does little good in the overwhelming darkness that is all around the cave.

“Shall we play… a game?â€

The entire cavern is suddenly flooded with light. You shield your eyes, trying to adjust to the abrupt change in brightness. After a few moments, you look around - and see no one but your teammates around you. You do a quick head count - everyone is accounted for. Who were the ones screaming just now, then?

In this game, there will be 1 Swarm Host at the beginning, like the previous game. However, half of the remaining players will be immune to Assimilation, making it harder for the Swarm Host to pick targets. However, nobody will know who is immune, even if you yourself are immune. In addition, the Humans have an additional win condition. If they survive for 10 Day Phases and 10 Night Phases, they automatically win the game as reinforcements arrive.

Win Conditions:

Humans:

1. Kill all non-human entities

2. Survive till Day Phase 11

Swarm Host:

1. Assimilate all possible humans and kill the rest of the players.

Assimilated:

1. ​You win when the Swarm Host wins.

Actions

Day Phase (All players):

1. Vote for someone to be executed. The majority vote will determine who is killed off at the end of the phase. You cannot Vote if you have chosen to Shoot someone. Votes can be changed at will, but your Vote will be nullified if you choose to Shoot someone.

2. Shoot someone to deal 1 damage. If the person is dealt enough damage by the end of the phase, he/she will be killed. Once you choose to Shoot someone, you cannot change your decision. If you are dealt damage in that Day Phase but survive till the end, your health is returned to its full capacity.

3. Vote for someone to be tracked. If the person is targeted by any Night Action except Message from other players, all players will be notified at the start of the next Day Phase.

Night Phase:

Humans

1. Scan another player. This will reveal different pieces of information based on your scan upgrade level.

2. Upgrade your suit. This is a free action, which means that you can upgrade your suit and perform another Night Action in the same Night Phase. Several upgrades can be made:

1. Weapon upgrade - Increases your damage by 1, up to a maximum of 3.

2. Armor upgrade - Increases your health by 1, up to a maximum of 5. 

3. Scan upgrade - Improves your scanner. Default scanner will reveal 1 trait of the target. Level 2 scanner will be able to detect Assimilated players. Level 3 scanner will reveal the target player’s health and damage. Level 4 scanner will be able to detect the Swarm Host.

3. Message a player. Messages will be sent out at the end of the Night Phase.

Swarm Host

1. Assimilate a player. If the player cannot be Assimilated, he/she will be informed of the failed attempt.

2. Murder a player. This will work on all players.

3. Message your Assimilated members OR one player of your choice. This action can be done in addition to any other Night Actions you take.

Assimilated

1. You can take all actions normal Human players can take. In addition, you may choose to replace your usual Message skill with the Swarm Message:

2. Swarm Message: Send a message to a fellow Assimilated player. The Swarm Host will also receive the Swarm Message. The Message will be sent at the end of the Night Phase.

REGISTRATIONS ARE OPEN!

Participants:

Wstfgl

Ethereal

HerculeHastings

Ice

Demonic Gate

Kyoko

Aionoia

Alisyn

Shadow

bon00b

Sanzilla

Solystice

I'm yo man.

EDIT: For Humans during the Night Phase, we can Upgrade plus only one other action (Scan, Message or Personal Trait), right? Is an Upgrade to Scan applied to a Scan done that same night or only in subsequent Night's Scans?

Most importantly, will there be cameos by the winners of the first game, including a certain Natural-Born Genius?

I'm not quite sure about the Shooting thing. Why would we want to Shoot someone? Can't we just vote for them to be executed?

You might really really want to kill someone, but you don't have enough support from other people. You can still do so with the Shoot function. Or you could be a bad guy trying to thin out the numbers.

Shooting becomes more important when the number of Assimilated becomes the same as the Humans, because then every vote will be canceled or nullified. It allows the game to continue on in such situations.

I'm not quite sure about the Shooting thing. Why would we want to Shoot someone? Can't we just vote for them to be executed?

I know I'm definitely going to shoot someone on Day 1 just for laughs.

This whole thing is going to devolve into a free for all gunfight.

So much for being the noble defenders of humanity.

Updated the first post with the list of participants. All are welcome to join! If you don't really understand how the game works, just post your questions here and I'll answer all of them. (The game would be more fun with more participants.)

Mmmm. I'm told that y'all need more warm bodies, so I'm here.

Question about upgrades. Can you upgrade twice in a night, or once and the other action is message/scan? And what's the point of armor, to prevent people from shooting you to death?

Concerning Armor, yes it looks like it's just so you're harder to be killed by shooting. Everyone will have health points and can be shot but if you aren't killed by shooting in that phase then your health returns to full. So armor just tries to make it so you don't get shot down.

So Immunity is going to be like a 4th trait that is invisible to everyone for those that have it?

Mmmm. I'm told that y'all need more warm bodies, so I'm here.

Question about upgrades. Can you upgrade twice in a night, or once and the other action is message/scan? And what's the point of armor, to prevent people from shooting you to death?

Nope, you can only upgrade once and do one other action every night phase unless you have a Trait that says otherwise. And yeah, armor helps you to survive if people try to shoot you. Your health value will only be known to yourself unless you are scanned by someone else with a level 3 scanner.

So Immunity is going to be like a 4th trait that is invisible to everyone for those that have it?

Yup, exactly.

Yeah sure, I'll take a spot..so long as I don't get gunned down by Ethereal and West day 1. XD

Well this is shaping up to be a big game. Woo.

I wasn't really feeling a swarm mystery either but

yeah fuck it i'm joining