TriOctium

Swarm Mystery II: The Reckoning [SOLDIERS WIN!]

665 posts in this topic

Since it looks like I'm not needed, I'll wish you all a good night. It's been a fucking long day at work because I had to teach morons today and I want it to be over already.

Leaving an Aye if we need to move on early, and I'll leave another one when this is all over.

Leme think aloud here. Currently 9 players. 3 Assimilated. 2 or 3 Zeta. 3 or 4 soldiers right now.... If we wait until next Day Phase, after they have a chance to kill and assimilate, assuming Noia isn't the Host...

Nevermind... I just... I feel Sean may be playing a bigger role in this than we think... The way he's been acting... And now how he seems to think he's lost... I mean... I really feel like we're gonna screw up if we don't take him.

What if we take both Eth and Sean but not Noia?

Okay. Here's what I've got.

Our guilty suspects today pretty much boil down to Alisyn, Seanzilla, Noia and Eth. Of these, I think Alisyn is the least worrisome, since she's pretty much confirmed not Swarm Host, only possibly assimilated (though I admit it is a very, very real possibility) and appears to be largely without harmful traits.

Seanzilla is worrisome because he's confirmed assimilated (though also confirmed not Host) and has the capability of killing Ice tonight with Execute Traitor. Ergo, he needs to die today - either through lynch/shot, or through death of the Swarm Host.

Noia and Eth are very scary because they pretty much go in tandem. It's almost definite that either one is innocent, and the other one would then be guilty - not necessarily just guilty, in fact. If Eth is innocent, Noia's the Swarm Host (pretty much confirmed). If Noia's innocent, Eth is definitely guilty - but the question is, guilty of what? He could be a Zeta, a regular assimilated, or even the Host. Of those three possibilities, I'm inclined to believe that the second one is unlikely - if Eth is regular assimilated, then Aly is confirmed innocent and that further exposes bon00b as non-Soldier. Additionally, the Swarm Host may be privy to the knowledge of Zeta presence, which explains the message about Zeta being Assassins, but there's no proof that he sent the message beyond his claim.

Right now, I'm inclined to believe that Alisyn is assimilated - which means that if Eth is guilty, he's either Zeta or Swarm Host.

I have a question for Colonel bon00b - do you have the Comms Ally trait?

Also, Tri, can we extend the Day Phase by, oh, twelve hours or something?

...need to nap. be back in half an hour or something

I also agree for a delay. We've been skipping forward a lot. Can't we use that time to delay some? 12 or so hours sounds nice.

I have to get to bed. I have classes in the morning. But here is what I think.

Eth. Why would he be a Zeta and rat out his own team? I think he could possibly be the Host and was wanting us to be preoccupied with the Zeta early in the game to distract us from the Swarm. Further more, his eavesdropping trait. Seems pretty useful for a Host. During the Night Phase. While soldiers would be sleeping....

Noia. Why would she message someone not on her team? Unless she is a Zeta, which, if she survived then, would be easy to take down even 2 against 1(assuming she killed someone though everyone's health should be high enough by now).

Sean. He's fishy as anything and I think he should be taken down. Definitely. NOT just to save my life(because if this is right, I wouldn't exactly be needed) but just in general. The odd way he acted. Him being protected. Why would a Host protect him? He doesn't seem to be amazingly valuable. Maybe just to keep the count up? He seemed cunning the entire game but once he got outvoted, he seemed rather given-up. I've no idea about him, but I seriously have a bad feeling about him.

So I'm thinking Sean and West-

HOLY SHIT I JUST SOLVED THIS GUYS

I

JUST

SOLVED

THE ISSUE

Read West's power that he used on Noia! No matter what she is, Zeta, Host, anything, she is unconscious and cannot "post or take any actions until the next DAY PHASE"

If she's a Zeta, she can't kill anyone.

If she's the Host, she can't kill nor assimilate.

She. Is. Unconscious.

Shoot Eth. Vote Sean. Deal with Noia next Phase.

I AM ECSTATIC RIGHT NOW

Sean has 4 votes and, with Sol's powers, Eth will have 2 shots, correct? I can switch to a shot if need be.

I have got to go, no matter how excited I am. Everyone PLEASE keep your votes right where they are! If even one of you move and Alisyn really is assimilated then Sean won't die.

I switch my vote to a shot at Ethereal.

Sol, please take back yours and West's shots and both of you please shoot at Eth.

If Sean's and Eth's deaths do not end things, we will kill Noia just as easily in the next Day Phase(if not easier).

Sure, I'll extend the Day Phase for 12 hours.

Vote tally as of before Ice switched out her vote:

Private Hastings is dead.
Lance-Corporal Wstfgl shot Noia
Corporal Ice voted Sean
Sergeant Ethereal shot Noia
Master Sergeant Alisyn voted Seanzilla
First Warrant Officer Solystice shot Noia
Lieutenant Gate voted Seanzilla
Captain Shadow is dead
Major Kyoko is dead
Lieutenant-Colonel Sanzilla shot Alisyn
Colonel bon00b voted Seanzilla
Brigadier-General Noia is unconscious

4 votes for Sanzi, three shots on Noia, one shot on Alisyn.

I might as well reveal my full trait set, now...

Soldier Traits

1. Feint - You may change your decision to Shoot someone or change your target up to 1 time per Day Phase.

2. Instruct - When this skill is used, you may change the Day Phase action of any non-Officer player to that of your choice. 1 Use.

3. Highly Experienced - Pick two players in the game. If they become Assimilated at any point throughout the game, you will be notified of it.

I'd like to triple-confirm Ice's statement that Unconscious Noia can't do anything at night. Tri, can you confirm this for me? Additionally, please confirm that my Instruct can only be used on one target; i.e. I can't instruct Westie to shoot Eth, and Eth to shoot himself.

Assuming it's confirmed, I'm using Feint to change my shot to Eth, and Instructing Westie to shoot Eth (rainbow! rainbow!).

Private Hastings is dead
Lance-Corporal Wstfgl shot Ethereal
Corporal Ice shot Ethereal
Sergeant Ethereal shot Noia
Master Sergeant Alisyn voted Seanzilla
First Warrant Officer Solystice shot Ethereal
Lieutenant Gate voted Seanzilla
Captain Shadow is dead
Major Kyoko is dead
Lieutenant-Colonel Sanzilla shot Alisyn
Colonel bon00b voted Seanzilla
Brigadier-General Noia is unconscious

That gives us 3 shots on Eth, three votes on Seanzilla, one shot on Noia and one on Aly. In other words, Seanzilla is lynched, and Eth is shot thrice, which ought to kill him.

Westie, I believe you have one more shot, aye? Two shots a day? Might as well shoot Eth again with it. We don't really have any more pertinent targets.

Oh hey Eth is reading this thread. Look how quickly you became public enemy number one .-. sorry

1 person likes this

Correct. Noia cannot do anything at night, and you can only use Instruct on one player.

I've got a limited number of shots though, I'd rather save em in case shit hits the fan next turn.

A Sergeant takes a nap and wakes up with guns pointing to his face. Well, it's worth my while responding to them so...

Just how does Eth know it, though? It's possible that he knew because it was in one of his traits, similar to HH's unknown third trait - except that he revealed all three of his Soldier traits.

As a soldier, he shouldn't know what the zeta are straightaway, which puts suspicion on him for volunteering a piece of lore that wasn't mentioned anywhere else.

The spacefaring part was embellished by me. Eh, maybe they're hobos in disguise with chainsaws that they've lovingly named Zeta warpblades, that's true. You're right; that's entirely possible. And maybe they're a third party whose goals aren't to eliminate the Swarm and the humans, though if that was the case, I'm not sure why were they talking about murdering people. I've had a couple of hours to think about it after getting the intercepted messages.

Suddenly we have an explanation of the "two" in "two zeta war blade strikes", it's simply a factor of "we need two hits to do 6 damage for a confirmed kill", rather than "we have 2 people, ergo 6 damage".

I agree with Westie; he said that three zetas is a lot for a 12-player game. I'll note that Eth doesn't appear to feel like contesting this fact. I'll also note that it's possible for three zetas to exist. This is evidence for him being Zeta. Very, very, very shaky evidence, but still.

It's true that 'two zeta war blade strikes' can mean both hits by one player on a single person, or two players. But look at the prologue again; it clearly mentions three screams - one for the Swarm Host, two more for Zeta.

And I didn't contest that fact because I agreed that three Zeta is a lot. That meant potentially 3 zeta blades slashing around in a single night. In a set-up where it was expected that we might reach Day 10, the maths is a little too overwhelming, don't you think?

Third, look at his traits, especially 3. Electromagnetic Sensitivity. The ability makes sense gameplay-wise, hear messages, but have you ever heard of a human with electromagnetic sensitivity? Seriously?

I can't help what I was given. You might want to direct your comments to the Creator that made me.

I also consider it possible that Eth was lying about sending the message to Alisyn. Shadow already had a confirmed Comms Ally skill that was revealed on death; it would have been easy enough to copy and paste it in, and "Your Scanner starts at level 2" is so damn simple to fake.

Nothing I can say to this to defend myself; If I lied about everything so far, I lied about this too. You'll need to scan me for my traits. I spent two of my Comms Ally messages on Alisyn yesterday; the bit about the copy/pasted Zeta conversation came in a separate message although she combined it.   I do have 1 more message that I could send to you, if you'd want, but I'd rather not leave receipt of the proof of my innocence to my persecutor.

Anyways, no hard feelings. It makes sense to eliminate both sides if you're unsure if one side is lying. I'll go down with the Swarm Host myself. Maybe they'll engrave it on my tombstone? Unless we do space burials around here. 

I think it's definitely possible - even likely - that Eth is telling the truth here. On the other hand, right now there's pretty much nothing that can be done to reverse the outcome; you're dead, mister. Sorry, lol.

At the very least, we have Sean and his Execute Traitor ability dead this round, so Ice is likely to survive. Noia is incapable of taking Night actions, so if you're Soldier and telling the truth that she's the Swarm Host, she can neither murder people nor assimilate people tonight, and at 3 health max, it's a simple matter to knock her out of the game with Ice's 3 damage shot - or Westie's double tap plus a third shot. Presumably the other assimilated is Aly, but we know two of her traits already - revival and Inspection - even if she revives a Swarm unit, if you're telling the truth, we can just kill off the Swarm Host tomorrow and the revival is wasted. That leaves us with what's likely to be one Zeta, who can't kill anyone at night with more than 4 health, and we just need to augment our armor and stall out the game. (if there are two, we'll know tonight from there being two Warpblade attacks, and we'll plan accordingly).

If you're lying and you're the Swarm Host, then we're - again - left with one Zeta, and we can just stall out the game also.

I believe the Soldiers' worst-case scenario that's plausible is that you're a Zeta, because that would reflect as a Soldier on death - see Kyo. That leaves the Swarm Host unknown - though it would then quite possibly be Noia and we'd just off her next Day Phase anyway - but if Noia turns out to be innocent also, then we are frankly screwed. If anyone else has a level 3 scanner, I want you to upgrade it tonight and scan Noia, and we'll pray that the Zeta don't hit you because that means your health value is terrible.

That scan will tell us straightaway if Eth was lying. If he was telling the truth, Zeta or not, we off Noia because we'll hopefully have two distinct confirmed Level 4 scans on her. If he was lying, and Noia is innocent... that means Eth is Zeta, and we off Aly tomorrow (assuming the Swarm Host lives, that is. I'd like someone else to scan her tonight to confirm bon00b's accusation. It only requires a level 2 scan, which we're probably all capable of).

Right now, I'm discounting the possibility that you're a vanilla assimilated. There are three assimilated - Seanzilla is confirmed one of them; the Swarm Host is another (and if you're outing Noia, that mean's she's innocent and not the Host). If you're the third, then Aly is soldier, which makes bon00b the Swarm Host for lying and saying Aly is assimilated - and capable of taking night actions (actually, that doesn't seem too bad, now that I think about it - that would leave us with presumably one assimilated - bon00b the host - and we could off him next round, since Noia would then be confirmed innocent and alive, and we'd have a scan on Aly to prove her innocent as well).

The other possibility is that bon00b is a Zeta, Aly is innocent and he's lying to get her offed, and someone else is the Swarm Host, and I'm hoping it won't come to that because then we're quite screwed.

tl;dr

If Eth dies and is revealed as Soldier, we Level 4 Scan Noia and Level 2 Scan Aly. If Noia is the Swarm Host, we off her. If Noia is not the Host, then Eth is a Zeta. In that case, we look at Aly's scan. If she's assimilated, we should off her anyway because then we're (I'm) largely out of leads. If not assimilated, we off bon00b because he's a dirty liar and therefore guilty.

If Eth dies and is revealed as assimilated, we off bon00b because he's guilty. Of what, I'm not certain, but we'll find out as soon as he goes. After that, I'm not certain... Hopefully it doesn't come to this.

If Eth dies and is revealed as Swarm Host, we're left with one Zeta and stall the game to Day 8.

I'm coming out with this now - I scanned Ice last night and she showed as not assimilated. Right now, given the assimilated numbers, I think it's safe to say that everyone who isn't on the suspected list - Eth, Noia, Aly, Sean - is not assimilated. That doesn't take Zeta into account, and there's a slim possibility of the Swarm Host being outside these four (I consider bon00b unlikely to be assimilated - but possibly Swarm Host, as detailed above), but assimilated, no.

If anyone disagrees, I invite you to speak up. I've probably missed some things. Also, don't worry, Eth. Your sacrifice is for the greater good. Of the Soldiers, at least. If you're innocent you gain +2 ranks as soon as we make it out of this hellhole. If you're guilty, die, scum!

It's all cool. If the Host dies, Humanity wins regardless of whether I'm dead or alive.

It's a pity that you scanned Ice though; she's never been seriously considered to be an Assimilated, has she? Anyway, after I go down, promise me you guys will put bullets in her next! The conditions for her information ability has been ambiguous the entire game. At the last iteration, she said that it can only be revealed after the Swarm Host dies. That can only mean that it's information regarding the Zeta, but I highly doubt that's the case because she's never hinted at the slightest for the entirety of the expedition.

Furthermore, Private Hasting's 3rd trait said that she was the sole witness to something, and I'm willing to wager that's the Zeta information ability.

Soldier Traits

1. Jammer - You are holding onto a jammer that prevents other players from finding out any of your Traits via Scanning. You may activate this skill as a Night Action to overload your jammer, turning it into an EMP pulse that cancels all Messages and Scans performed that Night Phase. It will also disable the Swarm Host and prevent any Assimilations or Murders from taking place for that Night. However, this will destroy your jammer and expose you for Scanning afterwards. 1 Use.

2. Combat Shield - As a Night Action, you may choose to assume a defensive position for the rest of the Night Phase and block all attempts on your life for that Night. If no attempt is made on your life, this ability is not used up. Combat Shield does not block Assimilation attempts. 1 Use.

3. Eyewitness - You are the sole witness to a series of events which - BZZT BZZT ERROR. INVALID SECURITY CLEARANCE.

And given that she was the SOLE witness, I highly doubt that Ice's information can be about the same thing. My personal conclusion is that it doesn't exist.

Unless, of course, Ice's information is about how it's all a big government conspiracy (Alien, anyone?), and our rescue fleet is really coming to exterminate all of us, or it's not a rescue vessel headed towards us but a MOAB. I mean, sending in another crew after the first one was compromised is the perfect setting for a space-horror show, isn't it? Look at Dead Space.

Well considering the fact that the one person that already had a level 4 is already going to you have had him scan me and that he told the truth about his traits and found that im not assimlated and was right about alysin but most of you just shoot first without a thought

We don't need to scan bon00b. We just need to scan Alisyn. If she's assimilated, he's probably innocent. If she's innocent, he's probably the Swarm Host. That is, assuming Eth isn't already the Host - an assumption I find myself making more readily now. Sorry, Eth, but you're still dead. Plus two rank for you.

That's okay. Nothing anyone says now makes me any deader than I already am.

Purple Heart definitely, right?

...do they have purple hearts in this Earth variant?

I have no information on the Zeta, to answer that question. And bon00b, we don't exactly have time not to be shooting first.

Maybe we didn't need the 12 extra hours. Skip ahead?

I submitted my Ayes a couple of hours ago! A good soldier files his paperwork promptly!

I don't particularly care whether I die because I'm rapidly becoming useless--nobody will believe my Investigations because I'm under suspicion for being Assimilated. However, I would like to leave my suspicion of DG being the other Zeta to you all. At least two of his traits coincide with Kyo's. Please remember it in case I'm killed tonight by the double Zeta-blade strike or whatever. And if it isn't DG, Ice is second on my list.

I will also revive HH so as to boost the Soldiers' numbers and give them at least one more ally against the Swarm/Zeta (especially one who can cancel Assimilations/Murders in a Night Phase, which should buy more time), which I should be successful at since Soldiers move before the Swarm, and also apparently before the Zeta since I was able to upgrade my armor before being attacked. My scanner is only level 2, so I won't be able to contribute on that front, either.

I wish you all the best of luck in combating these enemies and saving humanity.