Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Erogenous Enigma

Bicycles

8 posts in this topic

Guys, I needs HALP! 

I don't know a whole lot about bikes, they're just interesting frames with wheels that when you push the pedals they go (would you believe I actually know how to ride a unicycle?). Recently my boyfriend and I have decided to get bikes, and I've looked at quite a few, I've tried to do homework but some of the information I've received is contradicting. For instance, the Schwinn website asked me a few questions about what kind of riding I intend to use it for and said a Hybrid or a Cruiser would be good for my needs, but then I went to Amazon and looked at some Cruisers and some of them had these super skinny wheels and said they were best for commuting. So I'm kind of just sitting here scratching my head. My mother's out look is just "A bike is a bike" but then we're not heavy cyclists we don't know anyone who does marathons or such things, so humor her ignorance. 

So anyway, my intended purpose is mostly just casual riding around my neighborhood, sidewalk, pavement, and perhaps occasionally taking it to parks where maybe the trails are more just dirt paths. I have no intentions of ever doing marathons or some sort of extreme mountain biking stuff. I'm a big lady, the bike needs to support me and be comfortable, so I've kinda leaned towards Cruiser, but I'm skeptical that maybe they won't do so well if I do take it to parks and unpaved trails. 

I really love the retro-inspired style bikes, but I've had trouble finding them with hand breaks which is a must for me. It also needed to have a few gears for me to work with as there are portions in my neighborhood that aren't so flat, as well as have an upright seated position. This is the one I've found that I really like.  The downfall with this one is that I've never seen it in person, the reviews make me think it's a good bike, I'm happy with the price (Didn't want to go over $200) and it has that adorable retro style, just needs a basket!

Then I went to Walmart recently and found this one. It's not the cute retro style, but I've seen it and I'm confident it can do what I want. The seat isn't great but I can replace that for $20 and still be cheaper than the first one. It says Cruiser in the address bar, but in the store it was labeled as a Hybrid so I dunno. 

So if anyone can help, or has recommendations of completely different bikes, please let me know! 

Look at the cruisers but not with the thin wheels. Thin wheels ate for those who are like in marathons or in training. As for the speeds that just adjusts how easy or difficult it is to pedal. Some bikes will not have gears to shift speeds and those will look like antiques. I have one that looks similar to that first one. It's a huffy buts it's baby blue and beige without the different speeds. That's my best bet for casual riding. Hope this helps.

HH it's cool, even just saying nobody knows at least doesn't make me feel like so much of a dweeb for posting a thread no one responds to lol.

Raine thanks for the input, but i went on the Amazon website for the Schwinn and posted a question. I asked if it was any good on dirt paths or gravel and of three answers they all pretty much said no. Lol

Impatient me already bought the Walmart Next Avalon bike. I've only road it around my neighborhood, just have to wait and see how it does on non-paved surfaces. But holy fuck am i out of shape. I used to ride bikes for hours as a kid and never felt it, but i was exhausted after riding yesterday and i didn't even go that long. Augh so disappointed in myself!

Also i posted this all on my phone so please excuse the poor writing.

I don't work too far from home to where I could probably ride a bike to work (about 4 miles or so). I've half thought about getting a bike (and now half thinking about a moped as I've wanted one for awhile)... But I'm sure I'd have the same problem as you and I'd just be so out of shape. XD Plus, my neighborhood is kinda shady and don't have a great place to store either. :(

Keep in mind, to get in shape you have to deal with being out of shape for a little! Don't be disappointed in yourself, you're getting active and that's what's important! Definitely nothing to be disappointed about. :) 

Also sorry I have nothing else to contribute, I haven't been on a bike in years hahaha.

What Nikki's said. If you do 30min/day at w/e pace you feel like (even if you just ride around in circles) biking will be no big deal in no time! Also a Walmart bike is totally fine until you start becoming more of a biker and can upgrade to better, more legit bikes. Reddit has some good biking threads when you're ready for that, from general biking, racing, MTB, commuting, etc.

When I was first riding my Walmart mountain bike I at first started going to grocery stores down the street or riding around the neighborhood when I was bored and a couple months later I would go to more distant destinations (10-20 miles out!) like it was no big deal! Plus I hated running and my excuse for biking instead was that I could at least "sit down". >__>

I'd like to get on a bike this summer, I think. I run the treadmills at the gym, and pavement outside, and ugh god. I can't enjoy it.. At least biking makes me forget that I'm even exercising in the first place.