Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HerculeHastings

HH's 30-Day Song Challenge

245 posts in this topic

((this is my third time typing this bloody post cuz the formatting keeps going wrong and eating up whatever I wrote. I think it's because Tumblr doesn't permit me to copy-paste things directly.))

2 days ago I found this on Tumblr and thought I'd try it out as well. It's the 30-day song challenge, where everyday you've got to link a song that fits the theme. The list of themes is below.

Day 1. A song you like with a colour in the title

Day 2. A song you like with a number in the title

Day 3. A song that reminds you of summertime

Day 4. A song that reminds you of someone you would rather forget about

Day 5. A song that needs to be played LOUD

Day 6. A song that makes you want to dance

Day 7. A song to drive to

Day 8. A song that reminds you of the winter holidays

Day 9. A song that makes you happy

Day 10. A song that makes you sad

Day 11. A song that you never get tired of

Day 12. A song from your preteen years

Day 13. One of your favorite 80’s songs

Day 14. A song that you would love played at your wedding

Day 15. A song that has been covered by another artist

Day 16. One of your favourite classical songs

Day 17. A song that would sing a duet with on karaoke

Day 18. A song from the year that you were born

Day 19. A song that makes you think about life

Day 20. A song that has many meanings to you

Day 21. A favorite song with a person’s name in the title

Day 22. A song that moves you forward

Day 23. A song that you think everybody should listen to

Day 24. A song by a band you wish were still together

Day 25. A song by an artist no longer living

Day 26. A song that makes you want to fall in love

Day 27. A song that breaks your heart

Day 28. A song by an artist with a voice that you love

Day 29. A song that you remember from your childhood

Day 30. A song that reminds you of yourself

Some of the themes look hard but I'll figure them out on the day itself.

Also, there will be a maximum of 2 songs by the same artiste to prevent me from spamming vaguely related SID songs everyday. XD

In addition, I'll include a write-up of the theme/song so that it's not just a boring old link that nobody wants to listen to anyway. =P

Lastly, this project isn't mine alone! Feel free to link your own themed songs, or comment, in this thread as well!

I did something similar on FB a few years ago, but this one has different prompts.

I'm also participating!

Sounds like a fun challenge. Must they be new songs you've never heard before?

(Hooray, Seanzi! <3)

Day 1: A song you like with a colour in the title

The first song that came to mind is "Colors of the Heart", but having a colour and having the word "colour" are 2 different things, right? XD Therefore, I'll pick this one.

Brave Blue [Flow]

As anime fans may know, Brave Blue is the opening of Eureka Seven AO. It is also well-known for sounding a lot like the opening to Eureka Seven, Days, also by Flow (well Wstie insists so anyway). I can tell them apart very easily, though I can also somewhat see (hear?) the similarity. That said, Days is a much better song than Brave Blue, mainly by virtue of having a better PV. The PV to Days was pretty great (plus it's in the era when Kohshi still hadn't donned those sunglasses yet so you can see his minuscule eyes still mwahaha).

Also, at least Days wasn't so... strikingly blue.

So this song is the best choice for today's theme, because it really hammers home the whole blue thing. If there were a song that celebrates a colour, it's really got to be Brave Blue.

Don't let the blue distract you from the song though! It's still pretty good. ^^

Sounds like a fun challenge. Must they be new songs you've never heard before?

No, they shouldn't be, in fact. It's got to be a song you like, which I assume means your current stash. XD

Because I provide value-added service, I also fetched up Brave Blue's lyrics which do indeed have a lot of blue. Lyrics came from JpopAsia. Accuracy not guaranteed.

The shining horizon, the beginning and the end
blended together, there lies the origin of tears

With my trembling hand I stuffed in my pocket what I believe in
Beyond the wavering mirage

If I look up at the sky I'll be led by
the nostalgic and warm light granted to me
You waved your small hand
You don't have to go, don't cry anymore Shangri-La
Let's dive into a new world
I was embraced by the blue color...

The aim is the far away horizon in this road
Make your steps slow but steady, now, let's go

Even while breaking, even while in confusion, you are still living today
Thats something some people desire

I was embraced by the blue color...

How far does the other side of darkness goes unchanged
Deep and beautiful blue, blue from the sea and sky, let's meet again

Can you hear me? I'll be waiting, Shangri-La
Let's survive in the "I" of infinity
I'll show you that I'll find it no matter what
I was embraced by the blue color
Along with the beating of my heart

Lyrics

How does it feel to treat me like you do?
When you've laid your hands upon me
And told me who you are
I thought I was mistaken

I thought I heard your words
Tell me how do I feel
Tell me now How do I feel
Those who came before me

Lived through their vocations
From the past until completion
They'll turn away no more
And I still find it so hard

To say what I need to say
But I'm quite sure that you'll tell me
Just how I should feel today
I see a ship in the harbor

I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortunes
I'd be a heavenly person today
And I thought I was mistaken

And I thought I heard you speak
Tell me how do I feel
Tell me now, how should I feel
Now I stand here waiting

I thought I told you to leave me
When I walked down to the beach
Tell me how does it feel
When your heart grows cold

Blue Monday is a classic. I doubt there is anyone who hasn't heard the song before (even if it is just in passing on the radio). New Order's predecessor Joy Division is lauded as one of the pioneers of the post-punk movement and New Order evolved it even further into what is now known as new wave. Blue Monday is New Order's best-selling song and it's (at that time) distinctive sound was the link between 70s disco and 90s dance/house. The combination of Joy Division's post-punk and electronic music created an unique sound that would get revived by many indie/alternative British bands in the early 2000s.

There are many different interpretations that assign a different meaning to the lyrics of the song; mostly because the band never discussed their lyrics in public and never agreed or disagreed with the theories of the fans. I believe that the song is about the fallout of Ian Curtis's suicide. Ian Curtis was the frontman of Joy Division and a troubled young man who dealt with depression and epilepsy for the larger part of his life. He was a troubled young man who's sense of emptiness and desolation permeated into his writing. Eventually marital problems, decaying health due to epilepsy and his lifelong bouts of depression would lead to him committing suicide at the age of 23. The 3 other members of Joy Division decided that if they wanted to continue making music, they should form a new band. Joy Division was Ian Curtis's baby and out of respect they had to form their own name. That is when they formed New Order.

The term Blue Monday refers to a certain date in January that is considered to be the most depressing day of the year and I believe that the death of Ian Curtis was the most depressing day of the year (maybe their lives) for the members of New Order. 

Don't have much to say of it, but it continues the Blue subtheme that's appearing:

Both songs are over 7 minutes long. D:

But Seanzi's song does sound deep and meaningful after he's explained it.

Screw Blue

I'm gonna be a hipster and go with Red

Metal Gear features a cast of emotionally conflicted, fleshed-out characters prone to philosophical soliloquizing and assorted navel-gazing, contemplating the ethical dilemmas of war, justice and the role of men who only know how to kill in a society that treasures peace.

And then you have this guy, whose defining motivation and philosophy is "Mo' war crimes, mo' profit." In a way, he's a breath of fresh air in his iron-clad lack of subtlety. Also, scissor blades.

1393382125300.png

Oh, and there's also this.

1 person likes this

The music in the second video adds a strangely surreal and relaxed feel to the fight.

Red Sun was my favorite boss theme from Revengeance.

Anyway, mine's a song that follows the blue-as-sadness trend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ibHXtu7NFY

Lyrics

Utada Hikaru is my favorite Japanese singer. She was one of the few Japanese singers to receive mainstream promotion in Singapore a couple of years ago, or so it seems to me; I certainly remember only a handful of Japanese singers having their albums promoted on local television.

Anyway, Blue is probably one of her less well-known songs; songs like 'Passion', 'Simple and Clean' and 'Sanctuary' were the theme songs of the Kingdom Hearts series and 'Beautiful World' for the first Evangelion movie remake.

Blue's lyrics does refer to feeling blue, but it's not really clear if it's due to a break-up or the death of a close one or something. Nonetheless, it's very listen-able. Like a lot of her songs, it makes me cry pretty easily.

My favorite was I'm My Own Master Now.

Which is, ironically, the one boss theme I couldn't find a kazoo remix of.

This counts right? D:

1 person likes this

This counts right? D:

No because black is a tonal quality, and not a colour. Although by being a tonal quality black is technically representative of every colour...and yet no colour at all. O___O

so yeah: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39DENARnUtM

1 person likes this

Utada Hikaru has a vocal quality that does get people crying easily!

Also, Kyo's such a trollll. Yes I accept black. And the video is eerie, DragonGuard!

Also I'm quite fascinated by Kyo's video cuz the voice's coming only from my right speaker at first. And then some ghostly voice emerges from the left speaker. One of those songs where you can't share earphones!

DAY 2: A song you like with a number in the title.

"Mach 13 Elephant Explosion" is a good name for a band. Or a tumblr account.

1 person likes this

Noooo, don't remind me of the fact that no one here wants to join a Fate/Stay Night RP....

The second day made me search through complete song lists of a lot of bands...

Eventually I figure I'm just gonna cheat, because it's an older song which he rerecorded (with a few twists) in 2013...

Might find an other tonight

The second day made me search through complete song lists of a lot of bands...

Eventually I figure I'm just gonna cheat, because it's an older song which he rerecorded (with a few twists) in 2013...

Might find an other tonight

I was gonna use that for the 1st day actually, for 2x the colour in the title, so I guess it's good I didn't :P

Anyway here's one for HH since I don't seem to have anything with a number in it otherwise (also the opening English part is relevant to us~):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvwCYlfw9uI

Also I guess they're obsessed with numbers because they also have "99/100" in a different song title, and "+81" in another so there was plenty of options (but this one is best).

1 person likes this

Nice songs, all of you! I couldn't finish the 15-minute one though, though it was a great instrumental.

Also, Wstie, I believe Demonic Gate wanted to make a Fate/Stay Night roleplay the other time. I wouldn't mind, though I've only watched Fate/Zero. But Sorcerers had elements of a Master/Servant bond, didn't it?

Oh, and finally, my own song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xej17f0G55M

Home Binetsu 39(degrees)C [uVERworld]

I'm sure all of you have had songs where on first listening you dislike them, then subsequently you grow to like them. This is one of those songs. In the beginning I thought it was a little gruff and shouty (I like ballads, myself), but gradually I warmed up to it (pun not intended, hurr).

So, I hope you guys will enjoy too! UVERworld does have a lot of songs with numbers in them. XD

I'm late to the party, so I guess I'll post the songs for Day 1 and 2 at the same time.

Day 1: Cobalt Sky

My first choice was actually Avalon Blue (also by Aoi Eir), but Wst insisted that he would call me "predictable" if I used that song. Also, I couldn't find any youtube links to it. But Cobalt Sky is also a great song, and I usually play it as BGM while I'm playing games like Dota 2, LoL or PSO2. I don't have any history for this song, because I found it while surfing through Aoi Eir's songlist, but as far as I know it hasn't been used for any anime titles yet. It's a waste; I think it would have made a great opening theme.

Day 2: 1000% Sparking

Once again I don't have a history for this song because I don't watch Negima. XD I found this song while playing Beats, and I thought it was pretty great, so I downloaded the whole song eventually. ...Other than that, I don't really have much to say about this song. Enjoy!