Seanzilla

[Discussion] Corporate Heroes

32 posts in this topic

Background

You know, son… when I was your age I just to read just as many comic books as you. Man, that must have been close to 70 years ago now… Either way, Spider-man was my favourite. I loved reading it despite how horrendously depressing it was. Peter Parker got the short end of the stick more often than not and every single time I wondered what he had done wrong in his life to deserved such a shitty one. I always wondered if the writer did it because they got off on making Spidey suffer. I wondered how someone as amazing… as spectacular as Spider-man could have such a hard time.

But then the Neo Human Program came out in public and my son, your father, was one of the many chosen to participate in the first test. I was reluctant, of course; no parent wants his child to be part of an experiment… but we were heavily in debt and they offered us so much money. So, so much money… we couldn’t say no. To this day we regret it, but we just could not say no.

Watching your father grow up under the Neo Human Program was just as hard for us as it was for him! No… I’m not allowed to say that, but regardless you can’t imagine how awful it is for a parent. To watch his child grow up with any hopes of a happy future torn from him while he was still in utero.

- Excerpt from “The Memoirs of Hugh Stillwell (1990 - 2087)â€

Setting

Hello, muchachos.

This is a sci-fi/fantasy/superhuman RP set in the year 2144.

The setting is pretty simple. The Lewis-Ericsson Corporation, founding in the year 1989, started dabbling with genetic manipulation in the year 1994. It took them 17 years, but in the year 2011 they had managed to secure government funding and permission to start experimenting on humans when they succeeded in genetically improving animals. It started simple; immunity to certain diseases, increased bone strength, ability to function for a longer period of time despite being deprived of fluids, food or oxygen. They believed they could improve humans the same way they had improved the quality of life of the animals they succeeded on.

No one would’ve guessed that they would trigger something. Whether it was something already present in the human genetic code or something introduced into them when they were altered in utero was unsure to the scientists at the time, but what they did know was that they had created something they never would have dreamed of.

Humans started developing powers.

It started simple. Greatly enhanced strength, enhanced speed, superhuman intelligence, telepathy, telekineses, clairvoyance and limited precognition were the most common powers, with mostly the specifics being the biggest difference between the various enhanced humans. Modifications to the process lead to an increased diversity in the amount of powers acquired by the humans who underwent treatment.

However, the most interesting development came when it became apparent that the treatment had become extraordinarily expensive. Other than the first batch of superhumans, the Test Subjects, everyone had to pay for their own treatment. Something that was a bygone wish for many who wanted a brighter future for their children, but then the corporations jumped in. They began sponsoring people, giving them the money to undergo the treatment, as long as they promised to do their civil duty while representing the company that was sponsoring them. This would lead to increased goodwill for the company and give a chance to those who would never be able to afford the treatment otherwise.

The life of a Neo Human isn’t all rainbows and sunshine. The corporations that sponsor them demand that they perform up to the standards that they expect of them. A Neo Human’s performance is reflecting upon an worldwide ranking that lists every single registered Neo Human in order of their accomplishments. Do a good deed and your rank rises, but mess up and your rank will plummet. Of course there will always be as many Neo Humans who strive for the bottom on the list as there are those who strive for the top.

Terminology

Hugh Stillwell - Founder of the Natural Human Movement, a group that believes that creating Neo Humans is tampering with nature. Man is not God, and should not act as God. Widely regarded as a hypocrite, considering his son was one of the Test Subjects, but those who believed in his cause still adamantly followed him. Died in the year 2087.

Neo Human Program (NHP) - The program to create a Neo Human. Despite the insistence of many government the only company capable of performing the most advanced version of the Program will always be the LEC. Several nations have gotten their hands out the information with regards to an outdated version of the program.

Lewis-Ericsson Corporation (LEC) - The corporation who had initially created the NHP. After years of lawsuits, death threats and political maneuvering they had managed to make billions thanks to the NHP. Currently listed as the most influential corporation in the world.

Generation - Each version of the NHP is divided in generations. The Generations were: the First Generation (a.k.a. the Test Subjects) were born between 2012 and 2024, the Second ran from 2025 to 2047, the Third from 2048 to 2078, the Fourth from 2078 to 2101, the Fifth from 2102 to 2121 and the Sixth from 2122 to the present day.
Even though the strength of a Neo Human is different from person to person, even within a Generation, generally the Neo Humans got stronger with each subsequent generation.

The Board - The most important thing in the world to a Neo Human. Every single Neo Human is listed on the Board and the Board decides their lives. If you are high up on the Board, the world will love you and your possibilities will be endless. If you are low on the Board, you are most likely a murdering psychopath or a complete screw up… either way your life is bad.

Neo Bad - A Neo Human who has turned bad. It doesn’t matter how much money the corporations threw at him with their sponsorship; if someone goes bad there is nothing they can do other than cut ties with him immediately. The world is smart enough to realize that it isn’t entirely the corporations fault, but that doesn’t stop their stock from plummeting if the Neo Bad they sponsored isn’t taken care of quickly. Currently they are roughly just as many Neo Bads as there are decent Neo Humans.

The Ten - The ten highest ranked Neo Humans are known as the Ten. They are the saviors of humanity, the paragons of justice, the valiant protectors of tomorrow. Or… that’s what they look like when they appear in public.

Supergroup - Many Neo Humans band together in the form of Supergroups.

Player Characters

Name:

Alias:

Sponsor:

Supergroup:

Power:

Personality:

Appearance:

Background:

Open to 3 or 4 more people, but if you decide to join I am going to ask that you post at least semi-regularly. My only other RP that isn't dead yet is on life support, so I need something that'll last more than two posts!

Egadds man, you can count me in on this. As for posting semi-regularly, as long as someone else is posting, so am I! Expect to see my Character Sheet up pronto.

Excellent.

I spent all night thinking of a power, but now that I finally have one I can go to bed. I'll have my own character up tomorrow.

Egad, I'm so in on this.

Captain Capitalism is a-go!

Using a slightly different sheet, because of all the extra info that isn't normally in my usual RPs~

Name: Luther Jackson

Alias: Phantom

Sponsor: Initially sponsored by AMD, then by BP, but was bought out by Sony.

Supergroup: Former member of Team Revolver, currently unaffiliated.

Power: Like other Neo Humans Luther possesses enhanced speed, strength and intelligence, but what sets him apart from others is his Construct Conjuration.

Luther is able physically manifest any construct he can think of, barring two restrictions: the constructs cannot surpass a certain size and Luther has to ‘understand’ the inner workings of said construct in order to create something reliable.

As a child, the time spent learning how to properly operate weapons was equal to the time spent learning how to physically create weapons. This knowledge would prove essential in order for Luther to properly utilize his powers to create various firearms and melee weapons.

Luther specializes in the creation of various including: swords, spears, javelins, rifles, handguns, revolvers and shields. Through his training he has learned to create the traditional version as well as the modern energy-directed versions.

Enhanced physical ability augmented by the supersuit created for him by Sony and the LEC, and his lifelong training have made him an extremely potent warrior with the weapons provided by his Conjuration.

Personality: While a good person at heart, Luther has grown disillusioned with the system after having gone through a traumatic event as a teenager. This disappointment has made him increasingly cynical, distrustful and drained him of any ambition to climb the Board.

Appearance: Daily Life Luther and Superhero Luther. Luther ‘feels naked’ when in his suit, therefor he tends to wear a long black trench coat over it.

Background: Luther was the child of an unwanted pregnancy, but instead of being aborted or left for adoption he was ‘sold’ to AMD. AMD paid a hefty sum to genetically augment Luther into becoming a Neo Human and made sure to compensate the mother for her ‘efforts’.

Luther spent the majority of his years as a child studying and training in order to become the leader of AMD’s next lineup of Neo Humans. As expected of him he quickly proved to learn exceptionally fast and rapidly started climbing the Board before even becoming officially enlisted as a Superhero.

At the age of 13 Luther broke into the top 1000 of the Board and AMD was confident that they had found someone who would reach the Ten. Of course a company that primarily focused on computer processors didn't care much for the prestige brough by a Neo Human, but they quickly managed to find one that did. BP had been the subject of much public scrutiny and decided that in order to get rid of their tarnished reputation they had to invest in  Neo Humans. Instead of sponsoring and raising new Neo Humans, they decided to buy out several ones that were already part of the top 1000. Luther was one of them and after being bought out he was put in BP's Team Revolver, lead by the Neo Human close to reaching the Ten; Revolver (yes, he named the team after himself).

Luther was part of Team Revolver for less than a year when Revolver’s greed screwed them over. Desperate to break into the Ten, Revolver planned an assault on Apocalypse, one of the most dangerous organisations of Neo Humans who had turned bad. In the subsequent battle many members of Team Revolver, people Luther had grown fond of, lost their lives. All for Revolver’s thirst for glory. 
For every dead member of Team Revolver there was a dead member of Apocalypse. The public applauded Revolver’s efforts in taking down one of the most dangerous groups, but they ignored the deaths of Revolver’s many allies. They were a necessary sacrifice. The points rewarded to Revolver made him skyrocket through the Board and finally allowed him to reach the Ten.

These twisted events eventually lead to Luther’s desperate attempts to get rid of the BP sponsorship, who turned a blind eye to Revolver's questionable leadership, so he could leave Team Revolver. Before long he managed to get in touch with Sony. While Sony did sponsor some Neo Humans, they initially did not have much interest in sponsoring Luther. It wasn't until someone brought up the new line of carbon fiber supersuits and their current lack of a compatible Neo Human. that Sony decided to sponsor Luther in order for him to demonstrate Sony's technological prowess. 

Name: Haruna Ise

Alias: Hellcat
Sponsor: A consortium representing the interests of several American defense contractors (e.g. Lockheed-Martin, Raytheon, the whole works)
Rank: 56 (not a true reflection of capability, see below)
Supergroup: Team Mustang
Power: Most Neo-Humans possess ISO-Standard superhuman strength and durability, but the main strength of the Superheroes of Team Mustang lies in their weaponry, proudly brought to you by Raytheon! (And we're not gonna let you forget that.) The powered suits used by Team Mustang are top-of-the-line production models meant to showcase the superiority of American superior firepower, and in addition to greatly enhancing their users' physical capabilities using revolutionary nanotechnology (Approved by the Senator of Winconsin!), features powerful in-built weaponry meant to take on Neo-Human threats.

Haruna specializes in long-range attack, and is armed with the PTL-2 laser rifle, a powerful directed-energy weapon that fires an invisible high-frequency laser pulse. Due to the instantaneous nature of the beam, it offers no room for evasion short of causality-violation or predictive abilities, and can vaporize a Neo-Bad with a single shot. The weapon is bulky and creates large quantities of heat, however, and cannot be fired rapidly or on the move. Thus, she is also equipped with a rapid-fire solid-slug carbine capable of laying down a hail of suppressive fire while her main gun recharges. Since the track record of conventional firearms against Neo-Bads is sketchy at best, Hellcat also carries a kukri as a close-combat weapon. Bolstered by the increased power of her suit, she can cut down most enemies with a single solid chop.

She has one power in addition to her enhanced physical capabilities -- Mind's Eye, a specialized telepathic ability that detects other people's neural impulses and helps her predict their movements and actions. This power has a range of several hundred meters, but she cannot focus on more than a handful of targets at once. In addition, it doesn't work against robots or machines, and cannot predict thoughts, only the target's movements and current emotional state.

Personality: Reticent and quiet, socially awkward. She can read others' emotions, but as a result, her ability to read body language and context, as well as emote on her own, has taken a hit, making her prone to taking things too literally or misinterpreting situations. Trusts her team members greatly, but has trouble interacting with others.
Appearance: I take pride in making all my crappy character designs by hand
Background: Traditionally, defense contractors (or arms dealers, as some would rather call them) get a pretty bad rap. Thus, several defense contractors banded together to sponsor Team Mustang, a Superhero team dedicated to defeating superhuman and conventional threats to American interests as a PR move. The members of Team Mustang have been trained to work together with military precision, in contrast with the individualistic show-boating that often occurs with regular superhero groups, and the professionalism and skill of Team Mustang has awed the world -- it is said that they have never lost a member in their thirty-year history. However, this is not completely true -- the members of Team Mustang have never been seen outside their armor, and their identities and true powers remain classified -- if a member of Team Mustang is slain, they are surreptitiously replaced by a new Neo-Human wearing their super-suit and adopting their codename.

Haruna is a test-tube baby, trained to take on the mantle of one of Team Mustang's members ever since she could walk. At the age of 14, she took on the codename of Hellcat to replace a member incapacitated by PTSD, and has been operating with the team ever since.

Name: Jonathan Reannis

Alias: Public – Steel Knight / Private - Entry

Sponsor: A Private Military Company called Tactical Espionage & Assault (TEA) secretly sanctioned by the British Military Forces. Publicly he is ‘Sponsored’ by Hammos Industries, famous for manufacturing building metals.

Supergroup: Public – Alloy Knights /Private - The Needle

Power: As with all Neo-Humans, Jon has enhanced strength, speed, durability etc. but he has also gained a specific power unique to him. This ability takes the form of allowing him to materialise layers of armour around his body that are near-impenetrable to all forms of contact. However, because of the high armour rating, once summoned it is rigid, with no free movement. This means that Jon tends to summon the armour on separate body parts one at a time. He can, with concentrated effort, summon the complete set to cover his body, but he will be unable to move if he does so. The more layers of armour, the higher the effort needed to summon it.

Jon has also received technological enhancements in the form of his bones being switched out with high-durability lightweight metal replacements. This allows him to physically take more force when using his armour to block attacks as well as reinforce his own attacks. For this, Jon became extremely adept at close quarter combat, favoring up-close-and-personal in his confrontations.

Personality: In public, Jon always keeps an air of joviality and jokiness to cover up his clinical, tactical mind. He is honest with his opinions and will speak of them with no concern as to who he is speaking to. Does not personally take offense to much but is happy to retaliate to someone else taking offense from anything he might do or say.

Appearance: Stands slightly shorter than average but has thin, compact, and strong muscles. He has startling green eyes and white hair long enough to touch his shoulders; he sweeps his hair back behind his ears and over his head to keep it out of his face for most of the time. When in the role of Steel Knight, leader of the Alloy Knights, Jon wears tan brown workers boots, heavy blue, loose fitting trousers, and a tight black vest. When he is working for The Needle, he wears soft black combat boots, camouflaged boots relevant in color to the surroundings he is in, A color appropriate vest under a camo-appropriate webbing jacket, and lower face mask and helmet that conceal his face and hair in appropriate camouflage. In the very rare occasion when Jon can where civilian clothing, he sticks with jeans and a front zipped hoody over a vest.

Background: Jon’s father was a military leader in the British Armed Forces. When Jon was 5 years old, his father entered him into the Neo-Human project on military funds with the intention of creating a new military Neo-Human team led by Jon. However, at the age of 15, after extensive military and superhuman training, Jon decided he did not want to be in the military and ran away during a training mission out in the field. The Armed Forces could not find him and gave him up for lost, whereas the truth was he had met and joined up with a PMC who had been working the same area. There, Jon felt at home and helped found a Neo-Human team called The Needle, specializing in precise secret drops into enemy territory to take off the enemy leaders’ heads. Despite his age, he was well trained and was the leader of The Needle with six other Neo-Humans at his side for his missions.

On one such mission his team were captured by the military and taken to their command to be judged. Jon was surprised to find it was his father in charge and that he had been tirelessly looking for him for a number of years. Jon convinced his father to allow the PMC and The Needle to remain in service to themselves, if they lent a hand to the Military if the latter needed top secret special operations to be done with the utmost discreteness.

In order to keep his movements for the military a secret, Jon’s father enlisted the help of an old family friend, CEO of Hammos Industries, to sponsor Jon as an official Neo-Human. Thus he joined the Hammos Industries Neo-Human superteam the Alloy Knights and took the name Steel Knight. Now, Jon maintains his cover in the Alloy Knights while still sneaking off at various intervals to take part in top secret operations as the leader of The Needle.

Your power is to harden parts of your body?

Nanomachines%252C%2BSon.jpg

...Sorry, couldn't resist.

Excellent~

I'll probably start it sometime tomorrow, if no one else is interested in joining.

Your power is to harden parts of your body?Nanomachines%2C%2BSon.jpg

...Sorry, couldn't resist.

Well, summoning armour around his body is a more accurate description :)

Also, I'm probably being stupid but am I supposed to recognise the picture?

Ah. I keep meaning to play that but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Edit: Oops, so sorry about the delay in posting; I was being an numnuts and hadn't even realised you had posted up the IC thread!

Got a chance to read through this.  Is there room for one more to join in?  This got me very interested!

Sorry, Yajuu! I am so used to Skype that I forgot to mention it here.

Sure, Dan, I'll move the RP to the Student's section. Post your character and jump in whenever. 

Oh, thank you! I'll need a moment to think up a charrie, but once thats done I'll jump on as soon as i get a chance.

In completely unrelated news, Haruna finally has a face now.

Sanzi can now rest easy, assured that I'm not actually RPing as Jotaro in a wig. 

FYI, I'm out-of-country for the next four days and my the likelihood that I can get an internet connection where I am is dubious at best. I'll most likely be able to poke my head in via my mobile, but a post is probably unlikely.

I can only apologise about the delay in my reply; it's always such a pain in the bum coming back from a holiday!

It's fine. Wst is in Japan till Monday, I'll try and get something up by the weekend.

A MERE HOLIDAY AINT STOPPING ME

Make sure you get all of Team Mustang horribly killed. Except Mustang himself, however. He's going to bail.

Considering there's no closed tag on this, maybe, possibly, I could join into this? Once I know for sure, I'll put up a character sheet.

Edit: Second time I started a new page. Woo woo

I don't know. We've progressed a bit and I'm not sure if I am comfortable adding anyone else into it right now.

Yajuu, I am going to control your character for a tiny bit if you don't mind. Else it'll be so awkward for him to just stand there and do nothing while a brawl breaks out next to him.

For easy reference:

Crazy Hare: Crazy Eyes, looking into her eyes basically makes you go crazy

Bloodhound: Sensor capable of identifying everything about anyone who enters her 2 mile radius.

Feral Tiger: Disorienting roar that makes you lose control over motor functions.

Blackbird: Disables sensor powers.

Lazy Cobra: Eyecontact allows her to put people under hypnosis.

Scarecrow: Able to evoke extreme fear and horror in the people who hear her whistle.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead