Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ethereal

[SIGN-UPS OPEN] 13 Nights in Pleasant Glen: Twilight Incursion (nWoD)

13 posts in this topic

13 Nights in Pleasant Glen: Twilight Incursion

Growing up in Pleasant Glen, we're used to the weird shit that happens in the background of our lives. I mean, every now and then someone disappears, a dead body turns up or you hear that something horrific happened to Mr So-and-So. You kind of just… tune it out, you know? You lock up the doors, shut the windows and draw the blinds. Even the abnormal can become the normal if we ignore it for long enough.

But we can only feign ignorance for so long before it starts intruding in our lives.

It began with the graffiti that appeared in several locations in town a month ago. In the university, in back alleyways and on the fence of residences. Each of these depicted a tall, suit-clad, faceless entity with long, flimsy arms wrapped around a crudely-drawn stick man. SLENDERMAN VISITS, goes the tagline. The disappearances and witness accounts of an actual faceless entity began shortly thereafter.

As with the disappearances before them, I didn't put too much stock in them. Until I saw him myself last night. When he took my brother.

I think it saw me. It KNOWS I know. It's coming back for me, I just know it. I just wish I had paid attention before this.

- Ian’s diary, last entry entitled 'SLENDERMAN' before disappearance

What You Need To Know

This is a role-playing game based on the World of Darkness system developed by White Wolf. If you’re new to the WoD system, I highly recommend that you read the Basic nWoD Guide created by DayDreamer.  It’s great for getting a feel of the mechanics involved with playing a RPG and a sense of the mood of WoD stories in general.

You’ll find the World of Darkness guidebook here. You will have to fill up a character sheet here.  Diceroller here.

This is the second episode in the Pleasant Glen series which I'm running. It is targeted at both newcomers and veterans to the World of Darkness system. That means that you do not need to have participated in the first episode to join this.

In this episode, you'll play as either a tourist or a local of Pleasant Glen, a sleepy backwater town that sits atop one of the largest gateways to the Underworld. The town is beginning its winter solstice and even as the snow cuts off access to the outside world, numerous supernatural beings have begun a silent invasion of the town. The town is under siege, and it doesn't know it. It will be up to you to survive, resist, and possibly if you are lucky, triumph against the encroaching darkness.

What You Should Expect

Firstly, this is not Dungeons and Dragons. Your player character is very much human, and very, very mortal. You are prey to the Twilight beings that stalk Pleasant Glen, make no mistake, and your character can die if you act recklessly.

Secondly, expect to do a fair amount of puzzle solving. Your best shot at survival and possibly victory over the darkness is to obtain key pieces of information.  Information may come in the form of hearsay from the town’s NPCs or research conducted at the local library. You may not recognize it when you first receive it, but it’ll always be there waiting for you to come back to it. Note that some special objects are also near-compulsory in order for you to advance the plot; you simply must find them or set aside that story arc until you do.

Thirdly, expect to take the initiative. As the Story-Teller, I’ll provide basic information about your surroundings and any NPCs that happen to be nearby. It will be completely up to you whether and how you wish to explore your environment further. There are several possible story arcs and options that you might uncover based on what you do or say (and vice versa).  I will not tell you whether a particular course of action is helpful or not; I will simply respond as circumstances dictate.

For instance, you find yourself in a grocery store. You could talk to the temp-guy at the counter, obtain some local gossip and leave after that. Or you may recall that someone was found completely drained of blood that morning and decide to purchase a clove of garlic. Who knows? Maybe your genre-savviness will save your life later on. Perhaps a blood-lusty mummy (and not a vampire like you had assumed) had perpetrated that attack, but you wouldn’t know unless you had somehow obtained that information earlier.

That being said, your posts can be as long or as short as you wish, as long as they achieve your objectives.

Last Words

This episode will not start until Episode 1 is over, which will likely take another 1-2 weeks. Reason mainly being that I'll want feedback from that episode to improve on the GM-ing for this.  I'm creating the discussion thread early to gauge the interest, and also because reading the WoD handbook and character creation can take quite some time.

HerculeHastings will be running a Hunter: the Vigil RPG soon for those of you who favor a more combat/action-oriented playing style. So you might want to join that one instead of this.

Thanks go to DayDreamer and HerculeHastings for setting up the infrastructure for WoD RPGs. I basically copied the format for this introduction from their Geist RPG.

I certainly don't mind being a part of the continuing series.

I'm in too.

Also my Hunter one won't start so early since there's so much WoD and RPGs running around now and I don't want to crowd out everyone's time.

Hm, maybe I can run a tourist group and a locals group if we have enough people.

I was thinking of running a Noir-style rp with this system. A mixture of story-telling and combat to solve a series of mysteries in the same sorta episodic fashion. What do you guys think?

Yeah, but would you be interested in something like that?

I'll just hold it open until we actually start.

I would do that RPG if it uses the WoD-system, yeah.

Probably. The resolution of this final arc in the current episode might even take that long.