Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seanzilla

Sean's Monthly Manga Club #1: Hoshi no Samidare

176 posts in this topic

Welcome to Sean’s Monthly Manga Club!

Each month we will read a manga and each week we’ll discuss the events that have happened up to a certain point in the story.

The mangas will be picked by me or by some other method that still allows me to force everyone to read the series I picked!

There is only one rule: No spoilers! So if you decide to read ahead, do not post spoilers!

Manga #1:
Hoshi no Samidare

Oooh it's like a Book Club, except it's a Manga Club. Sounds good!

Perhaps we can rotate the moderator, so that Seanzi gets to read something new too.

I haven't been reading manga for ages. Perhaps I should start.

I guess I could do this, s'long as we don't read stupid shit.

1 person likes this

I will provide links to the manga!

Also, HH, this is a not so subtle way to make people read the stuff I like! And I promise that every manga I pick will have actual substance and not be a fucking moefest. (Despite watching a lot of moe anime, I only read 2 manga that can be called moe~).

Anyway, seems like there are enough people interested! Since we're halfway through May, I'll post a short (6 chapter manga) when I decide to get out of bed.

Sean’s Monthly Manga Club #1 from 15/05 until 12/06:

Hoshi no Samidare

(Also known as Wakusei no Samidare or Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer)

Chapters: 65

Completed: Yes

Genres: Action, Comedy, Fantasy, Psychological, Romance and Tragedy
Demographic: Seinen

Personal rating: 9 out of 10

Description: The world is in mortal peril. Sir Noi Crezant, the Lizard Knight, has been sent to gain the aid of the great warrior Amamiya Yuuhi in hopes of finding the Princess Samidare and protecting the planet from the incredible 'Biscuit Hammer' poised to crack the Earth in two. Unfortunately Yuuhi wants no part of it, and the Princess doesn't prove to be the shining 'hero of justice' role model that Noi had hoped for.

Why you should read this manga: This manga is, in my opinion, the perfect example of a story done right. It steadily escalates from a seemingly simple comedy driven story to a much grander tale of growing up and accepting all the wonderful and awful things about life. It is also the only manga I can think of with a flawlessly executed ending.

Why you shouldn’t read this manga: Other than the art, there is no reason. The art is very simplistic and since I can get really petty about the way a show looks I initially had trouble getting started, but once I got over it this was hard to stop reading and just go to sleep.

Weekly discussion starting points:

Chapters 1 to 16 on 22/05

Chapters 16 to 35 on 29/05

Chapters 36 to 53 on 5/06

Chapters 53 to the end on 12/06

Remember; you are free to read ahead, but don’t post any spoilers to events that have yet to happen!

After I get back to Paris, time is all I have (and lots of pasta). I guess I'll do this too.

Oh, yeah, guess I should it in here so it's not like a secret or anything x.x

Ice is joining~

There was some confusion, so I'll clarify:

The weekly discussion starting points mean that you'll need to have read the chapters mentioned in order to discuss it properly~

Just finished chapter 16. At this rate I'll probably finish the entire series by the first week XD

Yeah, Ice and Alisyn also progressed pretty far in one day XD I guess I could speed up this month?

Are you gauging the pace based on the fastest or the slowest readers? Cuz I'm only going to begin reading on Sunday, with any luck. If I'm constantly needing to catch up then it's quite stressful for me. ): I don't read online very quickly.

Are you gauging the pace based on the fastest or the slowest readers? Cuz I'm only going to begin reading on Sunday, with any luck. If I'm constantly needing to catch up then it's quite stressful for me. ): I don't read online very quickly.

I just stated that elsewhere xD Physical copies, I can do pretty fast(either that or I can stay focused on enough to not notice anything else) but digital copies slow me down o-o Dunno why.

Based on the slowest readers. Till now I only heard of Ice and Alisyn and they were decently fast. Wasn't until a couple of moments ago that I learned of other 'slow' readers.

So for this month I'll likely keep this pace and see how it goes. Will adjust accordingly on subsequent manga.

Okay thanks. So sorry if I seemed grumpy. I always aim to finish by deadlines so it's not an issue, it's just that I was concerned that the deadline would be brought forward.

Alisyn was fast because she had two classes canceled today (that's why I didn't take forever to reply on Skype, Sean, except for a period in between my chatty-activity) and basically only worked for maybe 4 hours instead of 8. It would take me probably a couple days to get through the chapters on a normal schedule.

Holy shit I was worried you were gonna bite my head off!

At chapter 42 now. Aiming to finish the series by tonight or tomorrow.