Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seanzilla

Sean's Monthly Manga Club #1: Hoshi no Samidare

176 posts in this topic

Oh dear, did Seanzi think so? I do seem to give off this effect sometimes. >.<

True story: When I told my parents I was going to Japan with y'all, they briefly worried that I was falling prey to some elaborate con.

So to be clear (because I'm still confused). Does the discussion for this week's chapters start at the end of this week, while we're reading next week's chapters?

Yes. Wouldn't want people who are still reading to enter the thread and see tons of spoilers.

I guess we could start as soon as everyone let's me know they have read all the chapters, but then we'd still have to wait until HH and Eth are done and they won't start until Sunday. (Of course, there is no rush.)

I finally finished reading everything... Now I can go to sleep in peace. Goodnight everyone.

I'm done too.

T.T Noko-sama

1 person likes this

DAMMIT EVERY SINGLE PERSON HAS A SAD BACKSTORY IN THERE

West, I agree! I was like NO YOU CAN'T JUST DO THAT TO MY HEART.

He's busy helping me with the itinerary for the Japan trip. I feel rather guilty for holding him up with it.

Everyone who has let me know they are participating this month is done, so we can start this shit. A few qusstions to start things off and give you things to discuss:

What are your first impressions?

How do you feel about the characters?

What direction do you think the story is headed in?

If it weren't for the manga club, would you keep reading?

Remember, if you read ahead, don't post post-chapter 16 spoilers. Not even with a spoiler tag.

Hm, initially I found a little difficulty picking this up, because I couldn't quite relate to Yuuhi and Samidare and why they wanted to destroy the world. Gradually the story explained a bit more and I found it much better. The logic to me is still a little shaky but acceptable at least.

I find Noi Crezant the most relatable character in there, ironically. He just seems the most normal. XD And of course he is a cute lizard.

I forgot the guy's name, but the Knight who owns the dog (Hagetsu, yes!) has the saddest backstory in my opinion. His brother seems a little loony though.

Art-wise, the eyes are drawn too close together. >.< That said, I must say the animals are drawn quite well, especially Ludo. I was drawn to Ludo. So yeah, Hangetsu and Ludo are my favourite Knight pairing.

Right now I'm just a bit creeped out by Yuuhi's obsession over Samidare. He's like a reverse yandere!

EDIT: Oh, also, the other questions. Hmm, it looks like there'll be a lot more fighting. Currently I'm not too sure how they can even stop the Biscuit Hammer from falling. The only clue in the story is that Yuuhi will be able to fly.

And sure, I'll continue reading. It has a distinct shounen feel which I've missed. That said, seriously, those panty shots are overrated.

I think Hangetsu's death came a bit too suddenly. It seemed a bit pointless, especially since it was Yuuhi's careless mistake that caused it.

The art style grated on me a little, but the story's engaging enough that I don't really mind.

Hangetsu reminded me of Kamina.

In the most unfortunate way, too.

I wonder what's Crow Dude's deal, he's transparently batshit insane.

Mm, just how did Hangetsu die precisely? I was a bit fuzzy on the details.

And yes he's weird! Weirder than Yuuhi and Samidare, which is saying something.

He pushed Yuuhi out of the way of the golem's strike, and pretty much got insta-killed by the force of the blow.

I think Hangetsu's death came a bit too suddenly. It seemed a bit pointless, especially since it was Yuuhi's careless mistake that caused it.

I disagree that it was pointless. It served to show Yuuhi (as well as the readers) that there is actual danger present. Noi's repeated warnings are cool and all, but without Hangetsu's death the manga would be all 'tell, not show' and the golems wouldn't seem dangerous at all.

Yuuhi tripped over a rock, and then Hangetsu pushed him away and got punched. I think he died of internal hemorrhaging.

Crow Dude's obviously a villain. He has the crazy eyes.

Haha, totally agree with HH. I spent the first few chapters complaining to Sean on Skype on how the MCs were utterly un-relateable and implausible. Given, I couldn't really see them as 20/16 either, and I still don't particularly find their reasons plausible, but... they have reasons now.

I liked the dog knight. Even though he's really energetic and seems happy-go-lucky, he really was an adult figure for them. Kinda. And the dog was his ground. But then again, I liked him... which means he had to die tragically, like all of my other characters. ;D

Feel like there's nobody to hold them in check now that he's gone, especially since another psycho-wannabe seems to be joining the team.

Something I've noticed is that the knights and their animals seem to have almost-polar personalities? Like, the lizard knight didn't want to fight, and then when he joined the team, he wanted to destroy the world. While the lizard was all, "YOU MUST SAVE THE WORLD" and is kinda creeped out that they're planning to save it and then destroy it. And then the dog knight is so carefree, but the dog is much more serious. Though they did both notice that the MCs were suspicious. >.>

Direction-wise... I think that their dreams being on the biscuit hammer is going to play a role. Like, they're going to destroy it from there or something. The door is also important, though I don't know how. But I don't think they'll end up destroying the earth themselves, even if they have the power to.

And I'd read. Mostly because when I start something, I like to follow it through to its resolution. Unless it's absolutely unbearable.

ETA. Pffft. Hangetsu is the Dayereth of Biscuit Hammer.

Well he died in the best way possible, since he pretty much did what he had always wanted to do -- which is to push people out of the way of danger like how Noko did.

I agree it might have been better if he had died a little later, but I guess someone's got to die early on, as Seanzi's point explains.

EDIT: Oh yes Alisyn reminded me. They were on the Biscuit Hammer! Yeah it's got to be important.

Crow Dude's obviously a villain. He has the crazy eyes.

The crazy eyes of love.

I mean, rival archetypes always have that whole attracted-by-fate subtext associated with them, don't they? Not to mention all that talk of the red thread of fate.