Seanzilla

Sean's Monthly Manga Club #1: Hoshi no Samidare

176 posts in this topic

I don't know about villain, but he's certainly crazy. Like the other two. >.>

inb4 Yuuhi dumps Samidare for Crow Guy by the end of the manga

1 person likes this

inb4 Yuuhi dumps Samidare for Crow Guy by the end of the manga

Liek dis if u cry evertim

First Impressions: It's fine. The comedic timings are pretty good. Combat is nothing spectacular (for now), but the fact that they're talking about naming their skills could be a positive sign. Yuuhi seems like the Shiroe-type; not bluntly powerful, but has a niche power that can be broken with some innovation.

About the Characters:

Not too satisfied with Yuuhi. Didn't like how his reason for siding with Samidare is that she will destroy the world. I mean, the Biscuit Hammer's gonna do it anyway; why go to the trouble of saving it then (especially since he was so placid and reluctant about it)?

If I had to rationalize it, he fell in love with something he saw in her and that's the bigger reason why he's joined her cause. Like his life seemed purposeless before and now he's found something.

The fact that there're two sides to Samidare is a head-scratcher for me. It seems to be taken-for-granted by Yuuhi, but uh, that's not normal. It's not the "princess' will" somehow manifesting itself, is it?

Hangetsu. Hm, his death gets signposted enough that you notice. But his life and death seems entirely appropriate, so I've no complaints here.

Noi doesn't have much depth for now, especially with his past locked away and all. He's trying his best to be a Good Guy with an evil-aligned ally.

There's not much we know about the familiars for now. They Knight people, they can grant one wish, and they have a past. They're not aligned with the princess either, so there may be someone else calling the shots for the forces of Good, hm?

Direction:

It's a coming-of-age story. The themes about adults, growing up and death make that clear.

No, I don't think they'll destroy the world. Something will happen to change them/their minds. HnS doesn't seem like an unconventional story, despite the MCs' professed goals.

Oh, and the number of eyes on the golems go up each time. Not sure how that ties in with anything besides aesthetics. Sure makes you wonder how ling the war's been going on.

Keep Reading?

Yeah. I will, if only to know more about the Hammer and the Mages.

Seems like the war has happened multiple times, but this is just the beginning of a new one. Like the dog hinted at previous wars that the lizard can't remember.

I noticed the eye thing, too. I hope it stops soon and they send stronger enemies or something, because too many eyes gets creepy. >.<

Seems like everyone was mostly on the same page~ So let's head for week 2 now; read up to chapter 35 and let me know when you're done! I'll have a few follow up questions once you guys reach that point.

Wayang~

[TL: Bahasa Indonesia for "shadow". Showing off to win favour]

I thought Time was a terrible person and read the whole thing in week one? :o

I thought Time was a badass and read the whole thing in week one? :o

Corrected that for ya there.
1 person likes this

I don't get reading ahead of a reading club. D;

1 person likes this

Uh.. in his defense.... I'm done with the whole thing too. I kind of have a hard time stopping reading things....

I CAN SEE WHY YOU ARE BEST FRIENDS

YOU ARE BOTH AWFUL

(I honestly don't care as long as you don't spoil anything or hint at anything or whatever)

1 person likes this

I've read up to 35 now. That was exhausting, pheww.

Getting more interested?

Now I want everyone to hurry so HH can tell me what made her cry.

I'm not done and I'm not free until Friday.

I'll ignore this thread until the weekend comes, go ahead and discuss first.