Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seanzilla

Sean's Monthly Manga Club #1: Hoshi no Samidare

176 posts in this topic

Other than Wst everyone is done and he won't be done before wednesday anyway. SO!

Has your impression of the series improved? Or has it gotten worse?

The general consensus was that Yuuhi and Sami were unrelatable and that Mika was insane. Do you still feel that way?

Did the second part follow your expectations or were you wrong?

Are you glad that you kept reading?

Um. There are more characters and it's getting more complex (especially with the weird dynamic with the cat-guy, owl-kid, and mage), so I'm definitely warming more up to it. I was concerned that most of the characters would also be "Hey, let's destroy the world," which isn't all that interesting if there's no real conflict. ;)

Yeah, still can't relate well to the lizard knight and the devil princess, and the crow is still insane. I mean, I better understand Sami's dynamics with her family now... but tbh, I'm not very curious about her. I'm more interested in seeing what the cat-guy's up to, and why the owl-kid is helping the mage. ^^

I don't think I had any major expectations for this part? More long-term ones that hasn't been resolved yet. But like I said, more interesting/complex characters showed up. I wasn't expecting so many kids, though... though in retrospect, their leader is all of 16, so.... :P

The older characters are definitely more developed, I think. The horse/unicorn guy is good. ^^

AND THE SWORDFISH-IMMORTAL-GUY. D;

/my favorite character after the dog knight

Glad I kept reading, yeah. Getting better, even though all my favorite characters are dying after (or even before) they show up. xD

I agree with Alisyn on many of the points (actually all the points) except that my favourite character is the Swordfish guy (Akitani Inatika). The dog guy isn't even as cool as him! I was crying throughout his story cuz he's such a wise old man and I'd have loved to see more of him. I can't quite stand stubborn, self-absorbed children like Yuuhi and Samidare (they are self-absorbed, can't deny that) and I always love those wise old supporting characters in stories. I think I liked UP cuz there was an old man. I like old characters. XD

The jokes are actually getting funnier too. I love when the horse was teary-eyed when he turned into a unicorn. He looks so weird as a unicorn anyway! And the mantis cracks me up for no reason. I mean who the heck leaves a mantis on her head?

I think I'm still in Dayereth withdrawal. I'd normally like the swordfish better. He's much more noble and enigmatic than the dog. ;D

Though he kinda annoyed me when he was like, "Well, my psychic powers tell me that the kids aren't going to die, so I'm going to take it easy. Oh, oops, now I'm dying." >.>

I mean, he did know, going in, that he was going to die, but that doesn't justify being such an idiot and not doing his best to help them until the swordfish kicked him.

Oh yeah, the animals also seem to have a weird relationship with the anima-girl. Like, they seem to all be kinda "Not this again..." and don't actually seem to really care about her. I thought it would be more "Our great master has finally returned to us! It's time to celebrate!" And she just seems a bit bratty. :P

1 person likes this

Right??? She seems hard to get along with at all. Jeeze. She may be special but I don't think her personality is xD

Has your impression of the series improved? Or has it gotten worse?
Well, it’s gotten more interesting with all the knights assembled and Animus having revealed himself now.

The general consensus was that Yuuhi and Sami were unrelatable and that Mika was insane. Do you still feel that way?
Yuuhi’s devoted behavior still bugs me. I swear it’s like he’s been brainwashed. But I like how he’s still puny even though he inherited Hangetsu’s martial arts (if everyone did like Hangetsu, they could build a super-knight!). Wish he’d do more clever stuff with his Domain Control instead of just using Hangetsu’s signature though. The character growth is still distinct in the Asahina Household arc, so I’m satisfied on that front.

Samidare. Well, she has the Asahina Household arc, but I want to know why the Princess seems okay with Samidare’s plans to destroy the plan even though she’s all awake now. And why she was in that murky state next to the sister before that. Even Animus seemed surprised by her state then.

Also, I think that Samidare’ll die at the end of the series from her illness. It seems necessary to complete Yuuhi’s transition into adulthood.

Given how the series has been treating its figures of authority, Horse Knight is probably going to die as well. He seems a bit too OP, and there are too many good guys right now.

Mika isn’t insane. He has an uncontrollable bloodlust is all. He stuck with the team for the fight with 8-eyes after all. Since the Beasts seem to choose their Knights based on their personalities, I guess the Raven picks subversive types.

Since this seems to be a game and Animus is training the Beast Knights, I’m starting to wonder which round is this between Animus and Anima. There can’t have been too many, but all Animus needs to do is win once and the Hammer falls. So I’m guessing… 2nd? But then you’ll have to ask what happened to the surviving knights of the 1st round…? Why haven’t they appeared yet?

Unless, of course, it’s a Matrix-esque set-up and the world can be destroyed and re-created repeatedly.

Did the second part follow your expectations or were you wrong?
I must say, I didn’t expect Samidare to not be the princess. I mean, Animus is just one guy, so why are there the princess next to the 2 Samidares?

Are you glad that you kept reading?
I guess. Fight scenes are kinda lackluster in manga. And seriously, “An adult doesn’t pretend� Please.

I'll keep reading cuz I want to see:
1. What’s with the giant sword that appears whenever a golem appears?
2. What happens to the Beast when its Knight dies?

3. We're only halfway through, so I think there'll be more characters popping up still, or not all the characters have revealed who they really are (looking at you, Hiwatari).

4. Yuuhi become a BAMF. 

5. Who the other mythical beast knights will be. I'm surprised that it was by evolving the current Beast Knights. But I agree with Yuuhi that some of the knights clearly don't make sense as candidates. According to DGate, Hraesvelgr is one of the ravens of Odin, so that's likely the Crow Knight. No idea what Invisible is supposed to be, anyone?

I actually find the lizard knight's breakdown of roles to be reasonable. As in, multiple creatures can be granted legendary knight status. The horse makes the most sense for unicorn, but it's not guaranteed; the anima-girl seemed to choose randomly.

I do think that this has happened many times, though. Maybe on different worlds, and Earth was chosen this time?

I didn't find the dual princess thing really weird, though. I mean, all of the knights have a companion. It sounds like Sami was suppressing her, though, and finally being reconciled with her family broke that.

But how would that work if it were random? A dog with a horn would have been waaaaay off, like Yuuhi pointed out. Which reminds me, I'm surprised that they haven't tried to find out what happened during the previous war(s) since they've all assembled. Their individual memories are patchy, but they all seem to remember bits and pieces and could have put something together.

If different worlds were involved, then it's a mighty coincidence that the beasts all happen to take after animals from planet Earth. *scans through pages again to see if humans were specifically mentioned with regards to the previous wars* Also, you would think that they would have mentioned something by now if they were universe-faring beings.

But don't you think that the dream Samidare on the Biscuit Hammer and the normal Samidare seem to be separate entities? Back in the first 16 chapters, there was a line about Yuuhi preferring the outer Samidare or something like that. I had assumed that was where the duality was, but now it's a trinity.

I'm also uncertain how being reconciled with her mum could have anything to do with her suppressing the princess; Noi was there all the time even before Yuuhi's grandpa chains were broken and he didn't change afterwards either. So epiphanies alone don't seem to affect the beast-knight relationship/power (unless this aspect is inconsistently applied, which I doubt).

Then again, Samidare and Anima's relationship aren't a Beast-Knight relationship, right? But yeah, the Samidares and Anima thing is quite confusing.

After listening to Ether's analysis I've become officially confused now. *nods*

It would be way off, but if it was predictable, then wouldn't it have been obvious? It just felt like anima did whatever she felt like; she picked the horse, so it became Unicorn, but I think she could have just as easily picked the cat for the role. :/

Oh, right. Multiverses, then? But I definitely think it's more than twice. They don't mention a lot, though. :/

Sami is special. Like Anima. xDD

But yeah, the two do seem different. I'm sure it'll get explained. :P

Speaking of, though... was it just me who thought that her sister and the fuzzy-Anima were on the other side of the door? Idk why I had that feeling.

I had nothing else to contribute, and so I've read up to Chapter 53. I won't be able to take part in the discussion on the 5th so please enjoy, Alisyn, Ice and Seanzi.

I think she might have been hesitating which mythical beast to materialize first rather than which beast to evolve, since she can only do one of the three at a time.

Well, I guess we'll see with the supposed raven/crow one. ;D

I finally caught up.

Swordfish guy was cool, and I'm still wondering what Animus' deal is. Cat Guy is probably my favorite out of the new Knights for some reason. Must be his golem thing.

Also, I swear the translators dropped to DUWANG level around chapter 25. Thankfully it got better.

What do you mean, Animus' deal? Like, why he's doing it? Didn't he say something about the whatever record to the cat guy and wanting knowledge?

There's probably more to it than that.

I WANT TO KNOW

Oh yes they changed translators and it became a bit :/.

Oh yes the Cat Knight is kinda cute! And intelligent too.

Probably more, yeah. I can't help but think he and Anima are up to something. >.>

just-as-planned.jpg

The Owl Knight somehow reminds me of Yuuhi, except working for the opposite side. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop, when he inevitably betrays the others.

Mmm. The owl knight is pretty interesting, yeah. Kinda expect him to betray Animus in the end, though. Or try to, before he gets killed for being so stupid as to believe he could.

Cat Knight is best knight.

Shush, you terrible person. As far as we know, cat knight just makes golems for the knights to play with. Especially the crow knight.

It would be interesting if he became Animus's successor. :o

Why are we friends....

I'm sorry Ice but I can't be your friend any more either