Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wstfgl

Rules of Nature (Closed)

87 posts in this topic

Background

As a species, our oldest, most primal fear is of the darkness. We vilify it in our language; the mere utterance of the term brings to mind wickedness and corruption. We hide from it, huddling in our homes and around our fires, praying for deliverance when the sun rises again. Since the dawn of humanity, we have sought to progressively banish it from our lives. In this day and age, these fears seem laughably quaint, mere stories to scare children into obedience. In an era of nights awash with neon lights and sleep cycles defined not by circadian rhythm but by caffeine intake, it is all too easy to forget that we feared the darkness for good reason -- that unknown to most, the things that made us fear the night still haunt the shadows of our shining cities.

Stories of these nightmares made flesh pervade our collective consciousness, cautionary tales steeped in myth. While these horrors can come from the unknown, from the depths of the deep ocean to beyond the three familiar dimensions of reality, among the most insidious and dangerous of them are the ones who walk unseen among us. We have a thousand names in every language for these creatures: Naagloshii. Strigoi. Changelings. Youkai.

I call them the Werebeasts.

They're more common than one might expect. Walk down a busy street at peak hour, and one would almost certainly pass half a dozen of them. Unlike the other monsters I hunt, one cannot tell them apart from a normal human -- and many choose to live that way, holding back the beast within them. However, many give in to the lust for bloodshed -- or worse, use these monstrous powers for their cruel human whims.

I, however, do not fear them. There are monsters in the world, but do the stories not say that monsters can be slain? I bear a weapon that can destroy these creatures for good, the light of deliverance forged into cold steel. I am not alone in this quest - I, like those who fight by my side, am humanity's bulwark against the darkness.

We hunt the hunters.

-- The journal of Auguste Zeppeli, 14 November 2011

Setting

So this is an urban fantasy RP set in the modern day. The actual locale of the RP's yet to be decided; I'll probably just pull some fictional town out of my ass as usual.

Basically, we, the player characters, fight werewolves. Or were-bears, or whatever were-animal is deemed appropriate. Or you play one of said were-whatevers and lay the smack down on some of your more immoral kin, if you'd prefer it that way.

Anyway, here's some details of the setting.

Werebeasts

A person who turns into an animal, usually a predatory one. Records of their origins are spotty and contradictory -- many accounts show that the condition is hereditary, and yet anecdotes abound of Werebeasts being born to completely ordinary people. One won't turn into a Werebeast just by being bitten. Though there's a chance you'll catch a nasty case of rabies/avian flu/AIDS and die, of course.

Initially, a werebeast's first transformations are involuntary and happen at night -- however, as they grow in strength, they can turn at will, even under broad daylight.

Werebeasts possess powers typical to the creatures they transform into, with the strongest of them even possessing clearly supernatural abilities like precognition or teleportation. However, they share some common characteristics, among them being a pathological addiction to bloodshed and powerful regenerative abilities -- while sunlight weakens them and fire will hurt them (just as it will everything else; fire's very dependable), the only sure-fire way to slay a Werebeast is to completely destroy both their heart and their brain.

The Anima

Going up against incredibly durable, extremely fast and strong Werebeasts is a dicey proposition at best. While modern weaponry can prove an effective equalizer, if prone to collateral damage, the main weapons against these monsters are The Anima: weapons or armor that imbue their users with increased physical capabilities and supernatural powers. Anima seemingly have a will of their own, and when bound to a user, can be summoned and dismissed at will with some practice. While an Anima might grant several powers, a human can only be bound to one of them at once.

Participants

Wstfgl

TriOctium

Yajuu_Kikuishi

Kyo

HerculeHastings

Still open for sign-ups, up to around 5 people. Please commit to posting with at least some semblance of regularity, or at least let us know if you're taking a hiatus.

Rated NC-17 for violence and probable grimdark.

Character Template

Name:

Appearance:

Personality:

Anima/Werebeast Abilities:

Miscellaneous:

Big fan of Urban Fantasy here so do please count me in on this one! Although I'll have to decide whether I want to kill Werebeasts or be one of them. :)

There's enough people expressing interest in this now, so I'll just leave this open for another 12 hours for any more sign-ups before closing it.

Unless you're just here to post MGR soundtrack links and not actually join, DG, in which case you are sad and I have no desire to speak to you further :P

Fuck. I missed my chance.

Nope. I had too many issues with what I wanted to do, among other things mate, so you can take my spot if it's okay with Wst. I won't be joining.

Val bowed out. You can have the spot, though I'm still open for one more if you ask nicely.

Wstieeeeee. My eyes hurt from doing research on Japan the whole day and night yesterday, which is why I slept right before you posted this discussion thread. In view of my sacrifice for the sake of our travel group, can I also join this roleplay?

[first priority going to Kyo, of course, but since you said you're open to yet 1 more...]

Okay, HH and Kyo are in.

This RP is now closed.

Name: Akira Miyamoto

Appearance: http://www.anime-planet.com/images/characters/sadao_maou_43751.jpg

Affiliation: Werebeast. Type: ???

History: Akira works as the chief of the police department of the local town, and all criminal matters fall under his jurisdiction. Since young, he has been identified as a genius, and his quick ascent up the ladder of command within the police force was nothing short of extraordinary. Some pinned his great success on bribery or other illegal acts, but nobody has been able to find concrete evidence against him. Akira was born in Kojima, Japan, but he never stayed there for long. Due to his parents working as international businessmen, he traveled all around the world before he even reached the age of 15. He never stayed in a single school, instead being homeschooled by his parents as they trekked across the globe, achieving a degree in Law when he was 18. Shortly after that, he left his parents, saying that he wanted to strike it out in the world on his own without relying on their success.

A GUIDELINE FOR CREATING WEREBEAST CHARACTERS

Werebeasts can be classified in two ways: by their transformation or their intelligence level. If you're creating a Werebeast character, he/she will probably fall under one of these categories.

Transformation

1. Pseudo-Werebeasts aren't Werebeasts at all. They are merely humans who take on certain aspects of animals, such as immense strength, spines across their backs, or perhaps the ability to secrete poison. Most pseudo-werebeasts also fall under the "Crazed" Intelligence category.
  2. Therian Werebeasts are the most common kind. These individuals are able to shift from a complete human form to a complete animal form, such as that of a bear or a wolf.
  3. Chimeric Werebeasts are rare to find, but they are incredibly dangerous. A Chimeric Werebeast is anyone who can transform into two or more different animals, or even fuse their characteristics together into a chimera creature. 
  4. Phantasmal Werebeasts are creatures of legend, and many doubt their existence. A Phantasmal Werebeast is someone who can take the form of a mythical creature, such as a dragon, a golem, or a demon. It is said that Phantasmal Werebeasts are never created naturally, and are usually the result of exposure to a supernatural event such as a Hellmouth.

Intelligence

1. Crazed Werebeasts do not seem to possess the ability of rational thought, or perhaps have lost it to their overwhelming animal urges. They usually behave like the animal they transform into and possess very limited ability to communicate with others.
  2. Sentient Werebeasts are the standard type, a typical, everyday human who gained the ability to transform. They can utilize their bestial strengths in creative ways, making them powerful adversaries.
  3. Ascended Werebeasts, like the Phantasmal Werebeasts, are things of legend. It is said that the original Werebeast was an Ascended one, and possessed intelligence far beyond that of any human. The capabilities of an Ascended Werebeast is unknown, but many say that they are capable of decimating entire battalions on their own. No known Ascended Werebeast exists in the world today.

Is it possible to play both a Werebeast and an Anima user? I'm thinking along the lines of sisters -- 1 sister (the Anima person) is always successful and smart and righteous, declaring that someday she will rid the world of all evil with her skills. The other sister resents her boundless optimism. She is probably just as capable as her sister, but doesn't see the need to show it, but is deemed less friendly or even less bright as a result. To make matters worse, this sister undergoes a transformation and becomes a Werebeast, which estranges her further from her family, and so she leaves and never saw the other sister again, until the events of this roleplay.

In theory, it is possible to be both, if you found a way to wrest the Anima from its previous owner's cold dead hands.

EDIT: you mean, two characters? Don't really see why not.

Name: Julia Zeppeli

Appearance: Relatively tall at around 5’ 10’’, with the athletic build of a gymnast. Blonde hair reaching a few inches past her shoulders, bright green eyes. Habitually wears a black sleeveless top, blue jeans and sneakers, with a denim jacket if the weather gets cold.

Personality: Direct, cocky, and somewhat childish, with little respect for established authority. While she’s rather fight-happy and frequently invokes the Last Argument of Kings (read: Gratuitous violence) as a solution to thorny situations, she can be quite cunning and skilled at deception, though she’s more likely to make things up as she goes along rather than come up with schemes ahead of time. While she is willing to use trickery to win a fight, she will not accept defeat or dishonor, and takes especially poorly to having her family's reputation insulted.

For some reason, she refuses to call Anima by that name, instead using a strange abbreviation of unknown provenance to refer to them – ‘D-D-R.’ No one knows why she petulantly insists on this, but it's impossible to make her change her mind on this topic.

Background:

The Zeppelis are quite an old and established family in the field of fighting the supernatural, and one that has sacrificed much towards this cause – it’s said that no true-blooded Zeppeli has ever died of natural causes. Traditionally, the firstborn of the family. regardless of gender, inherits the family legacy and its most prized D-D-R – I mean, Anima, the saber Sol Invictus. As the second-born of the family, she learned the use of Anima at a young age, but was resigned to playing second fiddle to her older brother Auguste.

However, Auguste was killed in action by an unknown foe two years ago, and his priceless Anima lost in a foreign land. (While Auguste is believed to have trained a protégé, said apprentice’s identity remained unknown to the other Zeppelis as they would have frowned on allowing an outsider to carry on the family’s honor.) While Julia had a new Anima, the pair of wands named Hexagrammaton, constructed from the two halves of her great-grandfather’s shattered sword, her parents still saw her as the unreliable younger sister, an inferior substitute for her deceased brother. She’s been training hard to fill her brother's shoes and redeem herself in her parents’ eyes. While she thinks it’s a mere pipe dream, she hopes to someday recover Auguste’s blade and redeem that stain upon the Zeppeli’s reputation.

Anima:

Hexagrammaton – A pair of hexagonal metallic wands, one made of steel and one made of brass. They contain revolver-style cylinders loaded with six explosive cartridges each, which power the wands’ one ability – telekinesis. Julia conjures 36 of such cartridges each time she summons her Anima.

Hammer to Fall – The brass wand, held in Julia’s left hand. Hammer to Fall specializes in power; its ability is to amplify the kinetic energy of each expended cartridge, making it useful for tasks that require power. It can create powerful concussive impacts like the blow of a sledgehammer, push and pull heavy objects or produce a ‘wall’ of force that stops objects in their tracks.

Under Pressure – The steel wand, held in Julia’s right hand. Unlike its counterpart, Under Pressure favors precision over power, instead being able to focus the energy of a cartridge to perform delicate tasks with more precision than a human hand can muster. It can perform fine manipulations with robotic precision, or focus the energy of its cartridges into a single point or a one-dimensional line to puncture or cut objects.

The wands absorb the recoil generated from the forces they generate, but they have one weakness – they can only manipulate objects within a few meters of the user, forcing Julia to have to close in to directly attack Werebeasts with the weapon.

I'm in the middle of my 2 character bios and I WhatsApped Wstie asking a few questions. I'll post them here as well.

1. When you say Anima can be summoned and dismissed at will, does this mean they just disappear in a puff of smoke?

2. Is there a particular way in which people get an Anima? Do they just find it on the streets or does it appear before them?

Also additional ones.

3. Since Werebeasts can only be surely slain by hitting the brain and the heart, does this mean the Anima should have some way to attack either/both of them?

4. Can I assume the Anima can be used as normal weaponry, aside from granting those abilities to their users?

I just can't quite imagine what an Anima looks like, which is why I ask. Sorry if I seem n00bish. *toddles off to her realistic roleplays*

1. Essentially, it works that way, though the Anima's summoning is likely to be a tad more flashy than just smoke.

2. Anima are usually passed from one owner to the next by mutual consent, since it's not easy to steal an Anima due to the whole 'disappears when not in use' thing. One could coerce an Anima user into giving theirs up, but they've got to actively agree for the weapon to be handed over, or it'd remain bonded to them and return to their possession upon being dismissed. They return to physical form if their user is killed too, so one could find one on the street... and probably find the corpse of the previous user's one nearby. 

Alternatively, an Anima could be constructed from raw materials, but an Anima's construction can be compared to that of a masterpiece painting -- it takes a uniquely skilled craftsman years to finish one, and the stuff you need to build one is, suffice to say, incredibly rare. Most newly-built Anima are likely to be constructed from the remains of a previously-destroyed one.

3. Since most Anima are built as weapons, there's the obvious option of stabbing/crushing/piercing the head and chest with them. An Anima could be purely defensive/supportive in function, but this means you might have to use conventional means to kill a Werebeast. Smaller firearms like handguns can't inflict much more than flesh wounds on a Werebeast (which they can heal away in time), but a shotgun or a rifle can put them down with several well-placed shots.

There is the caveat that a Werebeast could use a gun against you, though.

4. Anima usually take the form of weapons, so they can be used as such. Ones that take the form of armor also provide protection to your squishy bits, of course. 

Name: Roberta Faulkner

Appearance: She has what one would consider borderline masculine features. She has a well-developed jaw, a broad chin, a large nose and small eyes. She has a lean but toned physique (her feminine parts being a little less noticeable than she would like). Her hair is long and carelessly tucked to the side or tied in a ponytail.

Personality: To Roberta, intelligence equals power. The world is fair game for everyone, if they have the ability to take it. She had always been a talented, sprightly girl ever since she was a child. She tried everything with gusto, was excited by challenges, and very quickly ascended to the top in school, and was well-liked by family and friends for being cheerful and friendly. Thus, she has an optimistic outlook of the world, and believes she can achieve anything if she sets her mind to it. To her, if you have the ability to get something you want, why shouldn't you?

Background:

Roberta was born to an upper middle-class family. Her father was a dentist and her mother the manager of a restaurant. She was on relatively good terms with her sister Mercia, who is 1 year younger than her, though she thought Mercia a little difficult to get along with. She lived in relative peace for the first 2 decades of her life, when she enrolled in medical school and pursued a dream of being a doctor.

Her dream was disrupted one night when she was on the way home after an overnight study session, and witnessed a brawl between what looked like a giant bear and a man. It tore at the man mercilessly with well-aimed claws, while the man fired at it with a rifle. Roberta gasped, transfixed, as the man seemed to jump lightly from one spot to another in truly acrobatic fashion, and the bear seemed to watch him with a tactical eye. In the end, the bear estimated the man’s position (she never knew they could do that) and grabbed the winning edge, mauling his arm with a ruthless swipe of its claws. The man lay flat on the ground and the bear rushed off, almost as if it were in a hurry.

Roberta ran up to him, but he seemed close to death and refused to be sent to a hospital. All he did was press the rifle into her hands, together with a name and phone number, and drew his last breath. Roberta took the rifle and found the person she was supposed to find, who told her all about the Anima and the Werebeasts. The person was about to take the rifle back, but Roberta lied that the man had explicitly given the rifle to her, and so she was allowed to keep it and join their ranks.

Anima Abilities: The man had initially named the rifle Lola, after his deceased wife, but Roberta renamed it to Hyoukaryuu, only because it sounded fancy. The Hyoukaryuu is the size of a normal rifle, but is weightless in her hands. Its body is bright red (no good for army camouflage), but activates with a white-blue glow around it when being used.

Hyoukaryuu can be fitted with normal rifle cartridges, or it can be fitted with specific blanks that grant different abilities. Roberta likes to call them the Bullets of Ice and Bullets of Fire, even though they do not relate at all to ice or fire. They are normal bullets when used on non-Werebeasts.

Bullets of Ice – this is her favourite type. Bullets of Ice, when shot through the head, cause thoughts to flood within the target’s mind. Everything that he has ever thought of in his life will return and congregate to over-stimulate his mind. She is also able to read those thoughts as she chooses. The Werebeast is disrupted by his own thoughts, unable to focus, and is thus paralysed and an easy target for subsequent attacks like Bullets of Fire. Effects last as long as she maintains her focus.

Bullets of Fire – a little crass, but Bullets of Fire, when shot through the head, lodge themselves comfortably in the middle of the brain and in 1 second cause the brain to explode. At least they do their job effectively.

The other sister will be coming up next. A bit exhausted from this one already. XD

My character is complete.

Have more mood music anyway.

Name: Mercia Faulkner

Appearance: She shares most of Roberta’s prominent features, such as the deep-set jaw and flat chest, but is much shorter and has even smaller eyes. Her hair is of shoulder-length, and where Roberta’s is brown, hers is black. She has an eternally brooding look on her face and murmurs when she talks.

Personality: Mercia doesn’t see why people – like Roberta – should always yearn to stand out and be in the limelight. She hates bootlickers and “fake†people, and to her Roberta is the fakest of them all. She acknowledges that Roberta may be smart (though she thinks that she isn’t that much far behind) but she can’t stand her competitive attitude and what she believes is an unscrupulous willingness to use people for her own ends.

Mercia herself takes a while to warm up to people, but when she does, she is fiercely loyal and protective. She doesn’t talk much, but is content to be with a few close friends and people she regards as family.

Background: Ever since she was a teenager, Mercia had never really been seen around at home. She went out early, came home late at night, and spent most of her days hanging out with delinquents, who dubbed her the “Cold Queen†because she never smiled. Her parents sometimes thought it was because she had been born premature, for she was born 2 months earlier than expected.

The turning point came when Roberta started leaving the house more often, sometimes with a secretive grin on her face. Mercia would smell gunpowder on her when she got home. Her parents were concerned, but Roberta would not reveal what she was up to. It was during this time that Mercia became closer to her parents, and for once she felt as if she had taken her sister’s place in her parents’ heart. However, the happiness was short-lived. She underwent her first transformation, and from then on didn’t dare to be near to her family for fear of harming them. One day, she announced that she was going to move out, and never went back to see them again.

Werebeast Abilities: Mercia’s transformation is that of a cat. She is a Therian Werebeast of Sentient Intelligence.

Falling – As a cat, Mercia can survive falls from large heights without noticeable injury.

Shadow Blending – She can retreat into an area of utter darkness and move around entirely unseen. However, her cat-like eyes allow her to see extremely well in darkness.

Cat Claws – Her main weapon. She likes to wait in the darkness before springing out and attacking her foe mercilessly with her claws.

Cat-like Agility - As a cat, Mercia is much more alert and agile to close-up blows. When in hand-to-hand combat, she tends to react much more quickly than her opponent.

I tend to have the problem of underpowered abilities. Please tell me if you'd expected more from my 2 characters. Abilities are my greatest weakness, sigh.

Can Bullets of Fire explode hearts as well as brains?

Is Mercia a normal-sized cat or a big cat like a panther? If she's a normal-sized cat, she might be better off fighting in human form, as Werebeasts are somewhat faster and stronger than humans even when untransformed.

The heart has a different structure to the brain so it doesn't quite explode in the same way, but a Bullet of Fire will still puncture the heart and cause massive bleeding.

And hmm, as a human form, can she still take on the cat properties listed then? If so then yes she can fight as a human and transform to a street cat if she needs more stealth.

It's possible. Timey's as-yet-undisclosed powers also rely on partial transformation, if I recall.

Partial transformation also means catgirls, which I cannot disallow.

tumblr_mlh2r9VTFI1qhcf4jo1_500.gif

Nope, it's the same classification.

In a sense you could see each tier as being one above the previous tiers, since you go from partial animal features, to full transformation, to multiple transformations, to transformations that don't actually exist any more.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0