Seanzilla

[Discussion] Thirteen Traitors (Closed)

68 posts in this topic

Background

Three years ago, everyone in Ethrea was frightened beyond belief. Decades of peace and prosperity were about to come to an end with a war that was likely to be the bloodiest one we had ever endured. Ethrea nor Faesal would end this war untarnished, yet neither party wished to back down.

The military standoff at the border, with neither party wishing to retract its troops, would raise the tension to such a point that war would become inevitable, but the King of Ethrea did not wish for this to happen. While he did not want his nation to be seen as weak by his neighbours, neither did he wish for his subjects to have to live through such a terrible ordeal.

The King decided to seek a way to end the conflict without his country to go to an all out war and decided to use the members of Ethrea’s nobility for this goal. He offered the hand of his eldest daughter, his heiress, to the man who would solve this problem.

Eventually Duke Amarant would lead a group of 20 of his men to face the Faesalian army at the border. He fought and personally defeated the traitorous Duchess Loussier, killing her and her traitorous knights, and crushed the Faesalian army at the border, sending them home with their tails between their legs.

Amarant and his 20 knights are the heroes of Ethrea.

Setting

Hello droogs.

Today I bring you a dark action fantasy, set in a fictional world similar to Medieval Europe; Nuna.

Nuna is divided in 5 continents, each with their own kingdoms, but for now the only relevant ones are Ethrea and Faesal on the Koin continent.

Three years ago Ethrea and Faesal were on the brink of war when the King promised the hand of his daughter to the Noble who managed to stop it, by any means necessary. Duchess Loussier and her twelve Knights fought overwhelming odds and managed to defeat the Faesalian army stationed at the border.

On their way back they were ambushed by Duke Amarant and his twenty Knights while traversing a dense forest. The weakened and fatigued Knights of Loussier were unable to beat Amarant’s superior numbers and it didn’t take long before they were all cut down in the ensuing battle. After having killed everyone who knew the truth, Amarant returned to the King, claiming that he had been the one to quelch the Faesalian aggression.

Upon Amarant's return he married the princess and became part of the Royal Family, while the Loussier family was stripped of their name, nobility, lands and claims.

What Amarant did not know, however, was that Akuji, the God of Death, had been in the same forest in his human form and had bore witness to the events that had unfolded. Normally Akuji did not care for the deaths of mortals, in fact he lived for their deaths, but he saw an opportunity. An opportunity to unleash more chaos and carnage than any regular war ever could.

He used his divine power to restore life to a handful of the slain Knights and made sure to remind them that Duke Amarant and his twenty Knights had scorned them. This RP will revolve around the revived Knights and their quest for vengeance.

Some info on the world: Other than Humans the main races are (High/Wood/Dark) Elves, Dwarves and Orcs (they aren’t mindless brutes, they are brutes with a certain level of understanding and intelligence). Ethrea is ruled by humans, but inhabited by citizens of all the different races, unlike Faesal, which is inhabited mostly by Dark Elves.

There is also plenty of magic present in this world. The type of magic your character possesses is up to your discretion and unless you do something really silly it is probably fine.

Terminology

Nuna - The world the RP is set in.

Knight - Different from a soldier. Knights are sworn to protect and serve their Noble and to this end they need to be extremely powerful. Knights are bred, born and trained to be a Knight.

Humans - Just your regular old humans.

Dark Elves - Despite their name, they aren’t evil. They are called Dark Elves because of the grey tint of their skin and black, grey or white hair.

Wood Elves - These kids like to play in woods. Their hair tends to be shades of brown.

High Elves - Holier-than-thou as can be. Hair are lighter shades of blonde.

Dwarves - We are small and we like to live underground.

Orcs - The stereotype of us being illiterate brutes who like to bash in skulls in unfounded. We are perfectly capable to bashing your head in while speaking full sentences.

Player Characters

Name:

Personality:

Appearance:

Powers / Skills:

Background:

P.S. I already have a few running RPs which take priorities, so this one will likely be a tad slower than the others. Also looking for a max of 4 others.

Aww yes. This is like Samurai 7, but like, 6 more.

I shouldn't be talking while I'm tired though, but count me in.

EDIT: I have a question, does knight mean the traditional sword and board kind of knight, or simply any type of fighter in her employ?

Orcs - The stereotype of us being illiterate brutes who like to bash in skulls in unfounded. We are perfectly capable to bashing your head in while speaking full sentences.

I giggled entirely too hard at this. XD

Also, I'm interested, but need to design a character and will get back to you on that. 

I'd like to join too, since I don't remember roleplaying with Seanzi before (except the drama club one which unfortunately died quite early).

That said, I don't have any inspiration for character uguu. Will think hard about it.

Also I'm very pleased that this roleplay will be slow cuz I think I'll have a lot on my plate too, thanks to some over-enthusiasm. XD

Oh damn, I somehow missed your post. I blame the fact that for the first time in weeks S*T was really active while I was asleep.

Anyway I'll have a character up by tomorrow, but there isn't really any rush so take your time thinking of one.

Oh my goodness! I'm loving this line up of people! I never get to rp with any of you! ^^ So excited, now if I can just think of a darn character.

Name: Sir Donovan Harcourt

Personality: Once kind hearted and eager to help those in need, Donovan has since been turned into a twisted and heartless person. His thirst for vengeance was strong enough for him to suppress all of good nature and focus entirely on destroying anyone who has crossed him, Duchess Loussier or any of the dead Knights.
Donovan is not all angst: he is confident, extremely intelligent (he is rarely wrong in his predictions and the one time he was haunts him to this day), loyal to a fault and despite his newfound ruthlessness, there are times when his former, kind self shows itself.

Appearance: Sideswept hair that reaches down to just below his ears, ending in short spikes, blue eyes and a scar that starts right above his right eyebrow, moves over his nose and ends right below his left eye.
Usuall dressed dressed in cream trousers, a cream overcoat with one folded lapel to reveal a wine coloured interior, one lapel raised to form a high collar all the way around his neck and a black belt tied around his waist, knee high brown leather boots, brown leather fingerless gloves and a black hooded cloak. His light dress is to accommodate his agile fighting style and a demonstration of his confidence that he will never get hit.

Powers / Skills: Donovan has been trained in the usage of a variety of weapons. His preference, however, goes out to the usage of swords and chain whips.

Donovan’s special ability is the ability to utilize certain magic chains. All of his fingers, other than his thumbs, have a steel ring with a thin chain¨, make of elven steel, attached. The chains move along the back of his hands and are wrapped around his lower arm, beneath his clothing. Each one of these chains possesses a certain power or weapon that Donovan can use,, but when they haven’t been activated they are no different from ordinary chains. The abilities of the chains are:

Left index finger - Dowsing Chain: When activated a small ball appears at the end of the chain which moves in the direction of anything Donovan wants to track down.

Right index finger - Truth Chain: Like the Dowsing Chain, it materializes a ball when activated and swings like a pendulum. If someone lies in Donovan’s vicinity while the chain is active, it will immediately stop swinging.
Both middle fingers - Sword Chains : Both chains materialize single-edged elven swords, similar in length to a longsword. They are made of stronger materials than ordinary weapons, but should they break they simply materialize again.

Left ring finger - Chain of Captivity: When materialized it releases from Donovan’s ring and wraps itself around the target, constricting them until Donovan calls it back.

Right ring finger - Holy Chain: When materialized a holy cross appears that can be used to heal injuries. The healing is done by rapidly accelerating the body’s natural healing, which means it possible to recover from severe injuries in a matter of minutes, but doesn’t help against a fatal wound.

Both little fingers - Chain Whips: When materialized their thickness and weight increases, making them effective weapons that Donovan can wield with deadly skill.

Background: Donovan commenced training to become a soldier at a very young age and before his preteen years it was discovered that he possessed great skill not only with a weapon, but also with a certain type of magic. This was eventually molded into becoming the foundation of Donovan’s fighting style.

At the age of 18 Donovan became a Knight in Training, still not strong and experienced enough to become a full Knight, but with enough potential to get drilled until he became one. By the age of 20 he became a Knight assigned to guarding Duchess Loussier.

Three years later, when he was but 23 years young, he had already proven himself worthy of becoming one of Loussier’s twelve most trusted Knights and along with them he went and put an end to the Faesalian’s threat. He was so absorbed in his mission, hoping that this would be the chance for the relatively unimportant Duchess Loussier to gain favour with the court, that he did not expect the betrayal that eventually happened.

To this day he blames his own lack of foresight for the slaughter that happened at the hands of Amarant, but he blames Amarant twice as much and he will not rest before he gets the chance to wrap his chain around Amarant’s neck and slowly squeeze the life out of him.

Name: Clarence de Esterlynne

Personality: Though once rather easygoing, after his revival, Clarence has become more brooding, vengeful, and violent towards any villains, not only those who wronged the Loussiers and their vassals. On the other hand, he is even more righteous than before, defending the weak and innocent with a brutality that scares even those he is protecting. He is determined to slay Duke Amarant and his false knights, no matter the cost, and if giving his life would guarantee the blackguard's death, Clarence would die willingly.

Appearance: Blond, shoulder-length curls. Dark green eyes. Tall, tan, and muscular (but not bulky). Thick, pale scar across his neck as though someone had cut his throat (a gift from one of Duke Amarant's knights). Dresses very simply--if he's not in his armor, he's in undyed linen, wool, or cotton.

Powers/Skills:

Razortooth: A longsword enchanted to never lose its edge (though Clarence compulsively sharpens it anyways) and capable of cutting through metal, including plate armor.

Eaglestrike: A yew longbow that shoots with double the normal strength of a bow, allowing it greater range as well.

Dragonsbane: Scale armor with the flexibility of soft leather and exceptional durability. It can withstand most normal attacks, and some magical ones.

Wildmagic: Although Clarence was believed to have great magical potential, an accident when he was younger made him seal most of this power away. But after his revival, his weakening stability has resulted in this power manifesting itself when he is particularly emotional, lashing out in uncontrolled bursts.

Background: Clarence was raised expressly for knighthood and to serve the Duchess Loussier, starting as a page in her household from the age of 7. He devoted himself whole-heartedly to his duties and was able to rise to knighthood at 21. Due to an accident as a squire, Clarence has a deep mistrust of magic and its users, though he conceded to allowing it to be cast upon his armor and weapons so that he would better serve his mistress. He himself has a great well of untrained power that he uses only to maintain the enchantments. Upon receiving his knighthood, he swore to follow a life of chastity, devoting himself to one lady and one alone, the Duchess Loussier. The attack that claimed her life also struck down his master when he was a squire, filling him with a great darkness.

Closed now~

I'll think of an OP once I've read everyone's sheet. No rush, though.

Hey humm... is everyone playing humans for a reason? Like did I misread something? Or are they not humans and I just didn't catch that?

I am playing human cause I always do :D

You are free to play something else.

This RP will revolve around the revived Knights and their quest for vengeance.

Ethrea is ruled by humans, but inhabited by citizens of all the different races

I assumed we were playing Knights of Ethrea. Specifically of Duchess Loussier. So I took them to be human.

But in any case, I would have stayed with human even if I had known the other options were open. Can't play elves right now because Dayereth, and not interested in dwarves and orcs. :P

Well, yeah the nobility is human, doesn't mean that their Knights have to be.

I had the precise same thought as Ero. But then I decided I'd make my character a Wood Elf anyway.

Also, forgive Sir Gray's intrusion. He's my favourite character in another forum and I miss him so much that I simply must have him appear again somewhere.

Name: Waldo Alpha Eulalius Granville

Personality: Despite his masculine-sounding first names, Waldo is a gentle and introverted sort of person. Unlike most of his revived compatriots, he has a cynical eye towards war and would really rather mind his own business, if circumstances had not forced him to join the army. Even though he smiles a lot and appears pleasant and a little detached, he is deep down a man who takes slights personally and would brood over things while appearing completely relaxed to others. He is reliable and meticulous to detail, but gives off the odd feeling that nobody knows what he is truly thinking.

Appearance: Waldo has long light brown hair and can be mistaken for a woman from afar. He favours green or brown robes when not in armour, allowing him to blend in well in natural surroundings. In fact, he has an uncanny ability to blend in the forest, sometimes without even meaning to. He unconsciously crouches when behind a bush, or stands right in front of a tree that shares the colour of his robes. His voice is pleasant and has a calming effect. True to his elven roots, he has well-defined features -- sharp nose and ears being the most prominent.

Powers / Skills:

Animal Communication -- A largely useless ability in combat, but would be useful for tracking. More often than not Waldo's ability to talk to animals makes him a laughingstock, till people know the kinds of things animals tell him.

Animal Companion (Sir Pretentious Gray) -- A "side effect" of the above ability, Waldo has a companion who is always perched on his shoulder, a pigeon who wishes to be addressed as Sir Pretentious Gray, or Sir Gray for short. Waldo has extended his ability to allow Sir Gray to talk to other people as well if he chooses, though everyone wishes they could shut him out again. Sir Gray is a selfish, lazy, rude and conceited bird who seems to concern himself only with himself. However, his comments usually make a lot of sense, and he is actually much nicer than he acts. He is strangely loyal to Waldo, for one, though he insists the Knight is actually his Knight, working under the pretence of serving the Duchess. A few people have suggested to Waldo that Sir Gray would be very delicious when cooked.

Sir Gray was also killed together with Waldo during the battle. No one knows why he didn't escape for his life. He was incidentally revived together with Waldo as well.

Illusion Creatures -- Where there are no animals, or they are too weak to help, Waldo can summon illusory creatures to do his bidding. These creatures can arise from anywhere and have enhanced strength and resistance, and Waldo can exercise full control over them. He can combine various animal features to make an entirely new beast as well. All illusory creatures are normally vulnerable to magic. While they have physical strength, they have the same magical resistance (or lack thereof) as humans.

Traps -- Waldo can set invisible traps at strategic spots that activate when an enemy steps on them. When stepped on, the trap sends a jolt of electricity to freeze the enemy, and also explodes to hurt the enemy as well as people nearby. In order to create the traps, Waldo must stand at the chosen spot and focus his magic uninterrupted. However, the process takes only 10 seconds per trap.

Aromatherapy -- He can evoke a scent detectable only to selected allies close by (not more than a metre away). The scent does not heal wounds, but will erase the feeling of pain. The wounds will, however, persist and a person may crumple without feeling anything.

Background: Waldo grew up leading a solitary life in the forest outside Ethrea, completely oblivious to the politics going on in the city. His father was hardly around, but forbade him to leave the forest, and even set up a protective barrier, believing that the city was full of corrupt people, all with their own agendas. Waldo himself was not particularly curious about the city, and so he was fine with the barrier.

One day, a woman came into the forest for refuge. She was Evana, the daughter of a high-ranking official in Ethrea who was being forced to marry a man she suspected was going to usurp her family’s fortune. Waldo helped her to hide, but the reprieve was short-lived. Her family found her and took her back, and Waldo could not stop them due to the barrier. Angry with himself, he worked day and night to train his magic, hoping to be strong enough to tear the barrier apart someday. 3 years later, his Illusory Creatures finally broke through the barrier, and he escaped to Ethrea, volunteering his services to be a Knight in order to find Evana again.

So, err, I could still play a Dark Elf even though they're the prominent race of the opposing territory? 

Yes

Also! Wow, Waldo is really young by human standards, so for an elf he's like a baby :D

Yeahh, i knowww. I was looking at it and wondering if i should've raised it.

What would be an appropriate age then, given the elven lore?

Well, whatever you'd like, really. I'm going with DnD lore for Elves in this RP, so they mature as fast as humans and live up to be ~200 years. Do with that whatever you'd like :x

Well if they mature as fast as humans then they'll probably look and act 21 when 21. So i'll leave it at that.

Surely nobody would ask him for his age anyway. Heh heh.

Name: Amon Schaefer

Race: Human

Personality: A far cry from his younger years as an angry, hot-headed zealot of the church, Amon is now quiet, contemplative and prefers to meditate on the situation, before making any moves. Once loyal to the false gods his church once preached, he has dedicated his life to serving Duchess Loussier, or in the case of her death, make those who are responsible pay.

While he is sociable with the rest of the knights, he tends to observe strangers from a distance, before deciding how to act.

Appearance: http://imgur.com/WbAACbb

Powers/Skills:

Amon has been trained in the church from young as an Avenger, a holy assassin bred to kill the name of their god. While he has since renounced the church and their gods, he will not hesitate to use their magic if necessary to accomplish his goals.

Shadow Arts – Utilizing the tattoos around his body, he can manipulate the shadows as instruments of death, using them as blades and spikes to impale his enemies, as rope to bind, or as cover to conceal himself and his allies.

Ars Mortalis – An ornately crafted epieu, it combines the reach of a sword, the piercing capabilities of a spear and the compactness of a dagger in a single instrument of death. Its razor sharp blade easily finds cracks in its enemies’ armor and slices their vulnerable tendons apart in a single draw.

Ars Fatalis – A large, triple bladed glaive, this weapon finds itself just at home with close range combat, its fearsome blades cleaving enemies apart, as it is with ranged combat, being tossed like a boomerang, cutting down scores of opponents like chaff before the scythe.

Background:

Born a slum rat, Amon was drawn to the church like the droves of common folk, all desperately searching for a reason to live. Brainwashed into serving their gods, he was made an Avenger, an agent of the church who slaughtered those who dare blaspheme their idols, be they the rich and influential, or poor and unknowing. Unbeknownst to him however, he was used by the corrupt church leaders as a tool to get rid of their political enemies, often sending him to kill those who realized they were being used by the church.

At 15 years old, he was sent to assassinate Duchess Loussier, being told that she was a horrible monster that tortured innocent worshippers. Sneaking into her mansion, he descended upon the lady, but what he did not expect was that she was just as skilled, if not even more so, in combat as him. Overpowered by her and her knights, he was fully prepared to be killed by her, dying as a martyr. Instead, she spared him, telling him to serve her as her ally if he wished to live. Reluctant at first, he soon realized she was nothing like what the church told her she was like. Raising and educating him in the classical arts and language, he began to treat her like the mother he never had. At 18 years old, he returned to the church, no longer an Avenger, but a knight of Duchess Loussier. Slaying those who tricked and him and revealing the lies of the church, the church was soon burnt down and along with it, his loyalty with the gods. Now, his loyalty lies only with Duchess Loussier and her alone, be it in life or death.

She's a character I've had for awhile and she's technically a drow, but I didn't think it would be a problem.

Name: Syl'Reina Noqu'und

Race: Dark Elf

Personality: Syl is not really a companion that most people want. She is cold and vicious, with little comprehension of kindness. Your value to her ends when your usefulness does. Her loyalties can always be questioned though she has no record of betrayal, one can never be to sure with the way she acts. 

Appearance: Her skin is dark, almost obsidian, bright red eyes, long white hair. She is tall with sharp, angry features, and a curvy, slightly muscled build. She dresses in fitted and dark attire with minimal armor. 

Powers/Skills:

Spiders - Yes spiders, she can commune with spiders and convince them to do things for her. She can even use their venom for various purposes. It's not uncommon to see them crawling along her skin or in her hair.

Archery - Syl is an immaculate shot, she can make amazing sniper shots from impossible lengths or multiple quick shots from close up. She can even shoot multiple shots at a time.

Fire - she can imbue her arrows with fire, either pre-flaming or as an explosive shot.

Shadow - She is able to warp the shadows around herself to aid in her stealthy endeavors.

Dual Wield - If ever she finds herself to close to shoot someone she is also quite skilled with daggers. She can also use fire with them as well.

Gaze - Essentially a charm. Given how terrible she is with social skills it's pretty much the only way she manages day to day conversation.

Background: Syl has always been a very greedy person. She lives for her own personal gain. Every step she has ever taken has always been for the call of her current fancy. Overall it always seems to base around bettering herself and dominating other lives. Joining Duchess Loussier's militia had been a key turning point in her life. Prior to the Duchess' influence she was happy to harass underlings and cause trouble and strife in other's lives. 

Syl had been a thief of the highest caliber, she reveled in her infamy. Her experience with nobility was that they were usually fat and lazy, surprisingly the Duchess was not. The Duchess was the first person to ever catch her and while she tried to enthrall her with her gaze, the issue with enthralling is that it really only works on those of weak will. Needless to say the Duchess captured her, but instead of throwing her in the prison and having her hands cut off she recruited Syl into her army, demanding her loyalty. Of course, Syl is still quite the witch, and essentially told the Duchess to go visit her stable boy for a hard one. In the end the Duchess ended up compromising with Syl, and perhaps the flattery hadn't hurt either in getting Syl to submit and join her army.

She was trouble from the day she walked out into the training fields though, and that was over twenty years ago. Syl had more interest in harassing her fellow trainees than learning proper technique and formation. Since she was essentially still a prisoner - albeit a mostly free one - she received more than one lashing to attempt to force her obedience. After three lashings and each round she'd laugh at them, the Duchess tried a different course. The Duchess allowed Syl to practice and train as she would, but each week she would have to spar with other trainees. As the years went on, it went from the trainees, to the actual soldiers, to the generals, to the point where the Duchess would have her assaulted by multiple people at once, or a repetition of one fight after another after another. This was probably the Duchess wisest move with Syl. Syl pushed herself to extreme limits to match each week's challenge. She reveled in it and would fight till she couldn't stand. 

While the years she spent with the Duchess and the care she received there certainly earned a sincere degree of loyalty from her - not just obedience - when she was brought back she did not seek vengeance for her Duchess, she merely wanted to torture the traitors that killed her and stole her fame. 

I hope it's not presumptuous of me to use the Duchess as I did. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead