Seanzilla

DnD [Closed] Dungeon Master Online Episode 4

139 posts in this topic

Dungeon Master Online

In the year 2018 Virtual Reality technology has finally become a reality. By 2023 VR-Helmets became widespread, nearly every teenager in the world owned one, and 2025 marked the release of the first videogame that fully utilized the VRH.

MMO developers quickly hoped onto what would be next big development in the MMO market. The world’s very first VRH MMO, Dungeon Crawler Online, was released in 2030. The game had its faults, but the novelty of playing an MMO using the VRH made it extremely popular.

The DCO formula was copied and improved upon by many companies, but none of them managed to capture the magic of DCO, until the developers of DCO decided to release a sequel to the game.

Dungeon Master Online was announced on the 10 year anniversary of DCO, in 2040, and it immediately went into Closed Beta. The major improvements made in the VR technology over the past 10 years allowed the developers, Sandstorm Entertainment, to create an even better game.

After a year of intense Beta Testing, it was finally time to release DMO to the public! As expected millions worldwide purchased the game on its release date and rushed home to play the sequel to their favourite MMO. The sequel was released alongside a brand new, super advanced VRH called the VRH-X.

However, minutes after logging in for the first time the millions of players realized that they were unable to log out! This caused mass panic among the players.

What the hell is going on!?

Background

First of all: this game is heavily influenced by .hack, SAO, Log Horizon and similar stories. The idea of being trapped in a digital world was always fascinating and by making this RP set in an online DnD world the game can be very Meta, which makes it easier for me to create NPCs specifically to guide you (since this is more than likely your first time playing DnD).

Player Characters will be people playing a High Fantasy MMO called Dungeon Master Online. Yes the name is intentionally dumb as shit. These players are all stuck in an online world with no means of being safely disconnecting (being pulled out of the VRH-X without shutting it down properly fries their brains).

It was quickly revealed that dying in this game also makes the VRH-X fry their brain, leading to their death in the real world. Now fully aware of how dangerous their situation really is the players have to find a way to escape this digital world!

The world of DMO is hyper realistic. Every NPC has been programmed with sophisticated AI to accurately replicate human behavior; they are even able to hold conversations with PCs. Time and weather work exactly the same way as they do in the real world. PCs get hungry and tired and have to eat and rest in order to operate optimally.

Meanwhile in the real world the millions of DMO players were moved to several hospitals. This way doctors could oversee them while they are stuck in the game and make sure that the players don’t do in real life due to malnourishment or any other cause.

Sandstorm Entertainment, however, has vanished without a trace. All its employees were either found dead or not found at all. No one knows who has done this, but many suspect the Director (Robert Morhaime) to have been behind this.

Game Type

The RP will be run with Dungeons and Dragons 4E rules. This RP will be closed at a max of 10 PCs (2 groups of 5), if any of these PCs drop out during the campaign, others may take their place. Ideally this 5 man party would consist of a Defender, a Leader, two Strikers and a Controller.

Remember, if you're joining this RP it's expected that you either participate until the end of an Adventure or find a way to drop your character from the story.

Create a character sheet here, feel free to use the character creation and basic D&DG guide here. If you need help creating a character, feel free to PM me. When creating your character you should follow the standard rules of DnD. Ability scores will be generated using method 2:

Method 2, Customized: again you are given 6 numbers; 8, 10, 10, 10, 10 and 10, and 22 extra points you are free to divide among the stats. Depending on how your stats are, the points per score ratio could increase. For example: Raising a stat from 10 to 13 costs 3 points (1 point per score), but raising it an extra level to 14 costs 2 extra points. A table with the costs will be added to the bottom.

I won’t be using a board for this RP, since it is supposed to be text based, but I will provide you with a map of the areas you’re exploring and during encounters I’ll provide you with a map with the layout of the battlefield, your position and the positions of the enemy. You don’t have to strictly abide by your characters speed score, but use it as a point of reference when it comes to how far your PC can get in one turn.

Player Characters

Group (A)ssholes

Group (B)itches

Non-Player Characters

Quests

• None

• Cha'ac, Iris, Solitude, Amroth and Quarius completed the "Trouble in Winterhaven" quest and received the "the Goblin Punter" title.
  • Cha'ac, Iris, Nam, Amroth, Quarius, Aramachus, Korrelia, Dayereth, Col and Bachydios completed the quest "One Ring To Rule Nothing At All" and received the "the Bandit Whisperer" title.
  • Surreality United was formed.
  • Dayereth disastrously derped like a dumb dork and died a dismal death.
  • Surreality United participated an successfully completed the 'Bedlam in Avalon' event. 
  • Surreality United has chosen to participate in the Anti-Imperialist Campaign.

Rules

I will create an IC thread and all actions will take place in that thread. You are free to RP your actions as much as you want, even a single sentence is enough, and at the end of the RP put your roll results and the actions you took in between brackets for easy reference.

If you want to have dialogue with an NPC you can chose to either take turns responding or do it all in one go through Skype and then post it. Either is fine.

During combat everyone should post what actions they will take and all the rolls accompanying them and as soon as everyone has posted I will perform the actions of the creatures and end the Turn. If you want to take a reactionary action, simply put it in your post.

Example post:

[Move towards Goblin Cutter (if Goblin moves out of range use Run), use Twin Strike (if he is still out of range after using Run, use Charge).
Attack 1: 
Roll(1d20)+5:Total:16, Damage: Roll(1d6)+2:Total:6 
Attack 2: Roll(1d20)+5: Total:10, Damage: Roll(1d6)+2:
Total:6]

After the Paladin crushed his previous target Faeron quickly dashed for the remaining Goblin Cutter and struck twice with his Twin Strike power, hoping to end this fight.

As always, for the first 24 hours priority goes to those who participated in the previous episode.

This campaign won't start for a while, as I need time to prepare encounters and WHATEVER YOU KNOW THE DRILL

MEMEMEMEMEME

Also, so mean. D;

"Dayereth disastrously derped like a dumb dork and died a dismal death."

I've never played DnD in my life...hmmm...

Join us, Shadow! Sean will be more than happy to pick on a newbie help you learn how to play.

He'll have to wait for someone to drop out though :x

Well, he'll have to wait 24 hours (well, 22 now), but aren't we missing one anyways? We only had 9 active members in the last adventure.

Wahad, who had to take a break for Episode 2 due to family stuff, is coming back.

And DGate expressed interest in joining back again a while ago. I could raise the parties to 6 people, if everyone is fine with that. 

Oh, I didn't know that. :P

I wouldn't mind letting more people in. Though it'd probably be more trouble for you, sorry. ^^;

Hmm well if teams of six allow everyone to enjoy it, then I'm all for it. 

But yeah, might be someone drops out or whatever, we'll see.

The Great Serafinn will be coming back to join this group. As long as everyone is cool with such.

The Great Serafinn will be coming back to join this group. As long as everyone is cool with such.

"Ha-hah!"

1 person likes this

RRRAARRRGGHHHHH I SMASH ENEMY

Maybe I should try something different since Sanger is essentially identical to Cha'ac.

I don't think Wahad will be playing Cha'ac again, though. So don't let that stop you from playing Sanger.

Of course I'm still in, as I'm leading the Beasts party.

Beasts over Animals, everyone. We're the fiercer classification.

Not fierce enough to take on someone 3 levels higher than us and survive. :P

1 person likes this

Are we going to mix the parties up?

Thanks for reminding me that I forgot to change the groupnames for this adventure.

with regards to mixing party's up: that's up to you guys.

ACTUALLY NEVERMIND I HAVE A FUN IDEA FOR TEAM DIVISION

HUEHUEHUE

Oh god... whenever Sean laughs, it means bad things.

But yeah, Amroth will be back!

I notice that we're now Team A(ssholes) and Team B(itches). (teams have been assigned, by the way)