Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seanzilla

DnD (B) Episode 4: Heralds of Rebellion

115 posts in this topic

Korrelia, Bachydios, Dei, Akerus, Serafinn and Tristan were sent to North Avalon to search for the first of the 6 heralds suspected of cooperating with the rebels.

 

Upon arrival in North Avalon they see that daily life in the city had returned back to normal; no longer was it overcrowded and tense due to the public appearance of the Emperor and the citizens had returned to minding their own business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Well, I guess I'll do my superman thing again. Gentlemen." Dei said, tipping an imaginary hat before flying up atop the nearest building. He sat himself down on the ledge and had a good hard look around the streets visible to him, looking for anything suspicious. People soliciting others shadily, anyone that seems shifty. He'd at least seen the rebel kind in the previous encounter, and had some notion of who could look to be fitting among them.

 

[Perception]

1d20+9: 15 [1d20=6]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dei sees someone, standing on a slightly raised platform, speaking to a group while gesturing frantically, but he is unable to hear anything the man is saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dei shrugs, it's a lead. He flies back down to the group and informs them of his finding. "Could be a herald I guess. Either way we'll have to go over there to check."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Oh yes, he's drawing attention, definitely," said Korrelia. "We'll go over and see what he's saying."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once the group got closer they could hear the herald's message.

“The deaths in the slums have been rising rapidly and no one is doing anything about it! It falls upon the Emperor and his Guards to keep us safe! Yet none of them have made any progress with the capture of the Crimson Vindicator or any of the other criminals that stalk the slums! The Emperor owes us an explanation with regards to his negligence!â€

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bachydios brought up his Journal tab to recall what he had learned in the past about the Emperor of Avalon and its policies regarding internal security. At the same time, he also mulled over the implications of what the herald is saying so as to discern if he's a troublemaker.

Insight check:
rolling 1d20+5
(10)+5
= 15

History check:
rolling 1d20+6
(13)+6
= 19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bachydios believed that the herald was being sincere.

 

The knowledge Bachydios had with regards to internal security was limited. All he knew was what most of the civilians knew; the Imperial Guard does what it can to protect the citizens of Avalon, regardless of race, age, gender or economical standing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Rather unfortunate but true it seems, my fine fellos." Serafinn held his cane against his side between his arm and chest. "It may be of some use to find some sort of clue as to where this Crimson Vindicator will pop up next and give him a stern talking to. Perhaps the Guard would be best to ask though, as they are the ones with first hand experience." His eyes moved about the party, inquiring to their opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bachydios considered Serafinn's suggestion. It was certainly tempting to go after this Red Batman, but that was part of another Quest, wasn't it? Plus, they had to do something about the herald here and now.
 
"What we'll do about the Crimson Vindicator isn't part of this quest right now. We need to wait till the herald's done here, then tag him and see where he goes. Or perhaps pull him aside for questioning. Discreetly. For now, let's side with him for a bit and see if he tries to recruit us or something."
 
He walked up to the herald and called out," Hail, herald. To my knowledge, the Imperial Guard does what it can to protect the citizens of Avalon. But even if this is untrue, what will you have us do? This city has no stronger protector than the Guards."
 
Aid Another [Diplomacy]: Korrelia
rolling 1d20+3
(9)+3
= 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I agree," Korrelia piped up. "The Crimson Vindicator, I heard, is known for being extremely difficult to nab, and I'm sure the Imperial Guard is still trying its best. I'm not sure how useful rioting is in bringing this matter to their attention. Have they listened to you so far?"

 

[Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 + 2 (aided by Bachydios)

Roll result: 23]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"If you must ask what measures are to be taken then you are no better than the sheep they take us for! They expect us to sit in the pasture and consume whatever lies they feed us, but if we truly desire change for the better we must act! We must demand that they uphold the very rules and code they swore by when they decided to protect the city and its citizens and not simply let some masked madman get away with whatever he wishes. I am no expect in criminology yet even I know that the Vindicator acts in a very specific pattern that is not hard to counteract!"

The herald stopped shouting for a moment before he hung his head. "Yet you speak the truth, despite my efforts I have not succeeded in getting either the Guards or the foolish sheep in this city to listen to me."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dei didn't think this guy seemed to be the sort of recruiter they were after, but he decided to press into the subject and be sure. He stepped forward and called out, "Who cares? I think the guards have more pressing matters on their hands with the recent terrorist attacks. I'd rather they catch those terrorists and save innocent lives, than waste their time catching some guy who's only killing criminals."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"You call them terrorists, but truly they are revolutionists! They know that words do not elicit change, so they choose to take action!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Why don't they just take out the Crimson Vindicator then, perhaps with your help, since you seem so sure he's predictable and easy to catch? I don't see how they expect crime to lesson by creating more crime. Innocents died in their attacks. There's probably people gathered here right now who know people affected in those attacks."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The herald was quiet, trembling with rage as he couldn't think of an appropriate response, before he hopped off the platform and started pacing away from the plaza.

 

Korrelia could tell that the frustration did not stem from being bested in a debate, but actual rage that someone had showed up to contest him and ruin his plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bachydios loosed a small sigh of relief, mingled with some disappointment. It seemed like the fellow was solely a politician, and not even a persuasive one at that. Persuasion… if the rebels could use magic to animate Bones, what's to say they couldn't use magic to charm people into their persuasion? With that thought in mind, Bachydios concentrated to see if he could detect any use of Charm, Illusion or Enchantment magic in the immediate vicinity.

Arcana check:
rolling 1d20+11
(10)+11
= 21

 
There didn't seem to be any hint of mana in the area, so the intrepid Tiefling decided to change tack. He brought up his Journal tab again and searched for areas in Avalon that has revolutionary symbolism or history; they could search those places first.

History check:
rolling 1d20+6
(4)+6
= 10

 
That turned out nothing either, which made Bachydios a really bummed out Wizard. That was when Korrelia's telepathic voice sounded in his head to nab the guy. Acting on his first instinct, Bachydios conjured a Mage Hand to attempt to trip the herald, with the vague hope that it'll give Tristan and Dei enough time to nab him.

Dexterity check (Mage's Hand):
rolling 1d20+4
(8)+4
= 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The herald stumbled, but managed to regain his balance before he fell on his face. A look back and he noticed the group of adventurers who had just messed up his day looking especially threatening. Without giving it a second thought he made a run for it.

[initiative order: Bachydios > Serafinn > Dei > Korrelia > Tristan > Akerus
Goal: Follow the herald! Reach 12 successes before 6 failures.
Think of ways to use your skills to keep close to the herald. Acrobatics and Athletics are examples of key skills that will help.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even as he started running, Bachydios pulled up his allies' stats on his UI. A cursory glance suggested that almost everyone had a 12 or better score in a relevant skill, so he decided to assist Dei with sneaking up on the herald by creating loud honking sounds loud renditions of the Badger song to distract the escaping herald.
 
Aid Another (Stealth):
Target: Dei
rolling 1d20+5
(4)+5
= 9

 

Perhaps honks badgers' singing wasn't the best sound to make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Serafinn thought perhaps if he were to outrun the herald, he could catch him off guard and trick him with a lie to stop. With a jolt in his step he sped up to pass the Herald before attempting to stop him.

 

Acrobatics to Safely Maneuver in front of Herald:

Rolling 1d20+8

(8)+8 = 16

 

Bluff to Trick the Herald into stopping:

Rolling 1d20+14

(18)+14= 32

 

"MY GOOD SIR, STOP! Your shoe is untied! You'll trip!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dei had intended to simply tail the herald stealthily, but after Bachydios' attempt to trip him, it seemed they were doing this the forceful way. He ran to try to keep up.

 

[Athletics]

1d20+11: 12 [1d20=1]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The herald stops in front of Serafinn, who successfully blocked his path, but when Dei tripped, and fell on his face, in the herald used the chance to dash away from the crowds and into an alleyway, hoping to lose them in the maze.

 

[2 Successes, 1 Failure

Dei gets -2 on his next roll]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Don't worry," Korrelia said. "I'll try to spot him as he moves through the maze of alleyways. And if we do lose him I've an Inquisitive's Kit to catch up to his trail again."

 

[Perception: 1d20 + 12

Roll result: 29]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Dude, I hate running," Tristan shouted, "If you don't stop I'll, like, totally bite your face off, you know!?"

 

[Intimidate: 1d20+14 16]

 

The fact that he hadn't managed to shake off the adventurers was starting to bother the herald and he decided to try something else. He used the narrowness of the alleyway to quickly climb to the top of the buildings.

 

[successful Athletics Check is required to follow him onto the roof

4 Successes, 1 Failure.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"MY GOOD MAN! YOU MUST STOP! I BELIEVE YOUR BUTTOCKS IS ON FIRE!" Serafinn thought of a quick stupid lie, but went with it. As well as jumping up to the nearest roof to jump in front of the herald once more. This time aiming for when he went down a narrow alley. "I SAY! THAT'S ENOUGH OF THIS RUNNING NONSENSE!"

 

Bluff

1d20+14

19+14 = 33

 

Atheletics

1d20+18

12+18 = 30

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online