Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seanzilla

DnD (B) Episode 4: Heralds of Rebellion

115 posts in this topic

Bachydios scanned the building with a cursory glance before following Korrelia.

"We can probably leave just two outside. Most buildings only have a front entrance and a back entrance. Might I suggest Korrelia (Leader), Tristan (Defender), Dei (Striker) and myself (Controller)? If the herald comes running out of the building again, Akerus and Serafinn have proven themselves to be the most adept at footchases. Also, keep an eye out for valuable paintings, guys. We still have a debt to pay."

Korrelia discovered that the spear one of the suits of armor was holding was slightly crooked.

"Guys, do you think there's something wrong with this spear? It looks like it's been disturbed." Korrelia walked up to adjust the spear, then suddenly paused. What if the herald was hiding in the armour, waiting to strike? She turned around nervously to ensure the other 3 were nearby, then she reached out to clutch the spear and pulled it gently towards her, not knowing what to expect.

The floor in the hallway suddenly collapsed, forming stairs that lead to an underground tunnel.

"So that's where he went!" Korrelia headed to the window now.

"Guys!" she shouted to the 2 people standing outside. "We found a secret passage! Come in!"

"Ah, so we're relevant now..." Akerus grumbled, pushing himself up and adjusting himself before following the rest of the group inside the building. He stroked his chin habitually as he surveyed the room, and then his eyes fell on the secret passageway. 

"Interesting..." He mused as he tried to look down the dark stairway. "Ideally in such a situation it would probably be wise to tread lightly. However..." Akerus made a momentary glance at Tristan. "...I'm not certain that subtlety is everyone's forte. Let's just head down carefully and see what happens."

With that Akerus took the first step, descending the hidden stairway.  

As they descended, Bachydios sniffed the subterranean air and ran his fingers against the walls, trying to discern its nature and frequency of usage.

Arcana check:
rolling 1d20+11
(9)+11
= 20

Dungeoneering check:
rolling 1d20+10
(2)+10
= 12

Bachydios can't tell much about these tunnels, but he does discover that the usage of magic is prevalent down here.

After the group descends they see that the tunnel forks into two opposite directions.

[Refer to roll20 for map.

Also forgot to mention that everyone got 200XP for successfully completing the Skill Challenge.]

Bachydios did a flamboyant twirl and pumped a fist into the air as he yelled,"I feel stronger already!"

He deflated for a bit afterwards, then slinked up to the split in the paths to peer at the surface of the ground. He tried to decipher which path has been disturbed most recently.

"Well, normally in RPGs, we'll want to explore both paths because one of them could very well have treasure. But the herald won't wait for us, will he?"

Dungeoneering check:
rolling 1d20+10
(16)+10
= 26

Bachydios sees that footsteps lead in both directions, but the most recent ones headed north. 

"North it is then?" Bachydios remarked as he nudged Tristan in that direction.

As ordered by the annoyingly loud Tiefling, who wasn't even in charge, Tristan walked ahead when all of a sudden the floor collapsed. Tristan luckily managed to grab the ledge before plummeting into the poisonous spikes. 

[Falling into the Spike Pit: 1d20+6 13 1d10+8 14]

But when he tried to  climb up he nearly fell again.

[Athletics: 1d20+8 10]

"Yo bro, hand please?"

(during the pondering and tentative exploration outside the mansion, Dei changed to Caustic Soul form in preparation for indoor operations, his skin turning green)

Dei looked around for a moment before remembering he was actually really strong in DMO. He quickly knelt down and grabbed Tristan's hand, trying to pull him back up.

[strength Check]

1d20+6: 11 [1d20=5]

Tristan lost his grip and fell into the spike's laid out below in the pit.

[Took 14 damage]

He made an attempt to climb up the wall. 

[Athletics: 1d20+8 23]

This time he successfully got out of the pit.

"Yo bros, I think we've got to disable the trap before we can move on, you know?"

"I can try," said Korrelia hesitantly. She walked up slowly to where Tristan had come out from, trying to figure out how the trap had been constructed.

[Perception Check: 1d20 + 12

Roll result: 28]

Korrelia figured out that the trap was constructed in an extremely annoying fashion

In order to get the floor to rise again a mechanism inside of the pit had to be tinkered with, but it required a great amount of dexterity and could not be accomplished with one hand alone.

[DC 20 Thievery check required to disable the trap.]

Alternatively, Korrelia notices that there is barely enough space to hang from the ledge and crawl to the other end of the hallway.

Korrelia looked around at her group.

"Does anybody have the confidence to dismantle this trap? Or shall we try to crawl to the other end instead?" She turned to glance at the ledge with a shudder. She probably wouldn't look very pretty doing it.

Korrelia also notices that it is possible to jump to the southern hallway.

[sorry, forgot to mention this]

"Well we should at least try to dismantle the trap." Akerus said. "If Dei gives it an honest try, then Tristan can hold his legs. I may not be very strong but I'll try my best to help Tristan hold Dei."

Aid Another on Tristan

Roll(1d20)+1:
17,+1
Total:18

"Ho! The wizard shall pitch in with his strength as well."

Aid Another (Strength):
rolling 1d20+1
(1)+1
= 2

"Here ya go, little man," Tristan said as he grabbed Dei by his legs and swung him down into the pit. For a moment it seemed like he was going to let him fall, but his grip was tight enough to prevent Dei falling face first into a pit of a thousand spikes.

[Strength: 1d20+6+2 26]

"I HAVE A BAD FEELING ABOUT THIS." Dei groaned as he was lowered into the pit, facing down toward the deadly spikes. "I'm not even that great at disarming traps and this is a hard one..." he grumbled, producing his Thieves' Tools to help with this task.

[Thievery]

1d20+7: 13 [1d20=6]

Failing to disable the trap, Dei sighed. "Well guys, I have a Plan B so this traversal at least won't be dangerous. Drop me."

Whether they let go or not, Dei started to slip from Tristan's grasp as he liquified. He fell down onto the spikes as a blob of acid, dissolving the ones he landed on, before slushing along over 3 more sections of the spikes. He solidified into his normal form after the last section was dissolved, and looked up to the others. "Well, that should help, let's just get going now."

He shuddered for a moment and wiped his skin. Of the many strange experiences one could have unique to the virtual world of DMO, turning into liquid was the one that Dei could never get used to.

"Right on, dude!" Tristan crossed over to the other side.

[Everyone receives 100XP.

Hallway has been revealed on roll20]

"Geez, thanks, Dei!" Bachydios called out cheerily, as he clambered down gingerly and stepped gingerly around the spikes. As he passed by the Genasi, he placed an encouraging hand on Dei's shoulder. As he did so, however, his hand experienced a stinging sensation.

ARGH, THERE'S ACID ON MY HAND.

He was about to wipe his hand against the nearest wall when Dei muttered helpfully,"It's okay, the residue after transformation is only strong enough to peel the outer layer of dead skin and dirt anyway. You are now sanitized."

"Oh, whew."

Once on the other side, he focused again, still trying to identify the Arcana presence from earlier.

Arcana check:
rolling 1d20+11
(2)+11
= 13

It seemed that the path northwards was no longer crossable. They would have to make a detour, but these caverns disquieted him. What knew what else lay in ambush for them besides traps?

Dungeoneering check:
rolling 1d20+10
(11)+10
= 21

Serafinn had followed the group to the secret passage, and chuckled to himself. He was the last one outside for the most part and he noticed something. "You know everyone, it may be advantageous if at least one of us stayed behind in case the authorities come to 'explain' why 'they' are here. It may be best if I stayed back in case of such an occasion. If you need my aid, just call out to me alright?" He walked to the front door and closed it, trying to keep things looking in order. Thankfully his clothes made him look more of the part for someone who would be living in such a manor, or would be a guest of some sort.