Seanzilla

DnD (A) Episode 4: Culling the Cult

110 posts in this topic

Iris, Sanger, Amroth, Quarius, Tellorda and Lysander were sent to Central Avalon to infiltrate a cult that had been suspected of being involved with the rebels.

Upon arrival in Central Avalon they see that daily life in the city had returned back to normal; no longer was it overcrowded and tense due to the public appearance of the Emperor and the citizens had returned to minding their own business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

<TACTICAL ASSESSMENT. We must first locate this cult, and I doubt it will be easy if it's a problem the guards can't solve alone. We should snoop around and find leads -- but do not split up, at all costs. That way lies madness and death.>

Sanger glanced around at the wandering townspeople, trying to locate anyone suspicious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Don't split up? Don't be ridiculous, I spent the whole day wandering around town by myself," Quarius replied, taking a look around the area. "We'd be more suspicious if we stuck together like a bunch of teenagers on a field trip." As he spoke, he opened up his player menu, opting to roll for a History check to see if his character could remember anything about the cult that Sierra had mentioned.

 

History check:

Roller timedragon888
Character Quarius
Campaign DMO Episode 4
Description History Check
Results 1d20+14: 28 [1d20=14]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"What I want to know is why they sent the giant robot to infiltrate something." Lysander grunts as he looks around for signs of the cult. "If anything, we'll be lucky if he only breaks one wall to 'infiltrate' the cult."

 

Perception at d20+7=17.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lysander notices several people walking the street with the same armband. Apparently red and black beads are the latest trend in Avalon.

 

-----

Quarius knows that the cult has existed for as long as Avalon has, which meant that it has become ‘accepted’ among the civilians, even if they are still creeped out by it. He also knows that the cult worships a figure they call Mordecai and they demonstrate their reverence by wearing armbands of alternating red and black beads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"A cult," Iris frowned, before digging through her memories, in search of any relevant information she might have stashed in there.

 

Religion

Results 1d20+6: 12 [1d20=6]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tellorda followed her new teammates as they set out on an adventure, wandering into Central Avalon. Her eyes were dark as jet, but her cloak covered the worst of the sharp spines that had grown from her skin at the thought of the aberrant corruption that had so recently roamed this city. She wanted to find the necromancers who had revived such foul creatures and rend them to pieces for their folly... but that meant finding them first.

From Lysander and Quarius, she learned that the cult they were looking for wore armbands of red and black beads, so she stealthily approached the nearest group of them thus adorned. She kept far enough away that they hopefully wouldn't pay much attention to her, while staying in earshot, hoping to eavesdrop on them and gain some information that would set them in the right direction.

Stealth Check:

Roll(1d20)+13:

14,+13

Total:27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tellorda only managed to catch bits and pieces of information.

"Brother Marco has been acting really strange lately."
"Yes, his teachings have been unusually radical."

 

[Rolled a Perception check for you, but it didn't grant a better result than your passive perception would.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tellorda wandered back to her teammates, feeling somewhat disappointed.

"There is some leader among them named Brother Marco, who has recently been acting strangely and more radical," she reported. "Should we find this man?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Brother Marco, now that's a name to go on," Quarius noted. "Perhaps we could try asking around to see if we can 'join' the cult. Seems like the fastest way to find their hideout." Following that, he walked up to one of the men wearing armbands and introduced himself.

 

"Hail, brothers! I see that you too are devout worshippers of Mordecai. I too am a follower, although I have not worn my armband today. How goes things?"

 

Bluff check:

Roller timedragon888
Character Quarius
Campaign Surreality
Description Bluff check
Results 1d20+2: 9 [1d20=7]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The men looked at Quarius skeptically. Despite the tolerance they had managed to gain within the city, there were always prankster who tried to make fun of them. "What do you want?" One of them said, clearly not amused with or fooled by Quarius's bullshit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Abruptly, Sanger stepped up behind Quarius, its bulk looming over the cultists. <POLITE REQUEST. I want to know everything you can tell us about the worshipers of Mordecai, especially information on Brother Marco. ULTIMATUM: Answer correctly, and we won't be scraping bits of you off the pavement for the next three days. Please?>

 

Intimidate Check: 1d20+9 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two of the men remained motionless, but the third began trembling in his boots. "Yes, yes sir!" He began. "Brother Marco is the leader of our-"

"Be quiet!" One of the other interrupted him. "You know Brother Marco hates it when we talk to outsiders about the family! Let's go. We'll be late for the gathering."

The group of three men began walking, no longer paying attention to Sanger and Quarius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tellorda watched her teammates try--and fail--to get information from the group of cultists. The three men were quite resistant to talking about it... Understandable, if they're dealing in such foul business as necromancy... but it wasn't helping them at all. When the trio began to walk away, she kept her eyes on them.

"We suppose we should follow them?" she commented to nobody in particular when the group was out of earshot, putting her words into action to pad lightly after the men.

Stealth Check

Roll(1d20)+13:

12,+13

Total:25

(Ambush Expertise gives everyone +2 on stealth checks until Tellorda's next turn. ;D)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Amroth nodded, wondering who this Marco fellow was. "Let's go." He said as they started stalking the two cult members."

 

Stealth check (+2 from Tellorda)

Roll(1d20)+13:

13,+13

Total:26

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tellorda and Amroth follow the men to a warehouse. The men, along with everyone else wearing a similar armband, show their armbands to a pair of guards before they are allowed to enter.

 

[Everyone who wants to follow Tellorda and Amroth are free to do so without a Stealth check.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tellorda looked around to assess the situation at the warehouse. She didn't quite want to go in with guns blazing until she had a better sense of the situation, especially since there could be a whole horde of fighters inside waiting to rend them to pieces and resurrect them for their dubious reasons.

"We'll go scope it out from the top," she told Amroth before shifting into the Aspect of the Lurking Spider. Swiftly, she slid around to where she couldn't see any guards, then dashed toward the building and began to climb up to the roof in the hopes of finding some way to spy on the meeting.

Stealth Check

Roll(1d20)+15: (+2 from Lurking Spider)

20,+15

Total:35

Athletics/Climb Check

Roll(1d20)+13: (+5 from Lurking Spider)

9,+13

Total:22

A few windows on the roof looked to be promising, so Tellorda slipped over to one of them, trying to leverage the glass up.

Strength Check

Roll(1d20)+4:

12,+4

Total:16

(If the window opens)

She cautiously lay down and leaned over the edge, trying to peer inside and hear what they were talking about.

Perception Check

Roll(1d20)+8:

12,+8

Total:20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tellorda sees several robed figures, assuming that the people who entered changed into these robes, sitting on the ground while looking at an altar at the back of the room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Well, now that we are at impasse... I vote that we storm in and interrogate one of them for answers," Quarius suggested. "They're unlikely to accept all of us if we attempt a Bluff, especially the hulking giant metal man, and this quest is called 'Culling the Cult'."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I get the feeling things will be a lot more difficult this time round though." Iris piped up. "We almost lost our heads during the last quest we were sent on. Rushing headlong into their stronghold sounds like a suicide attempt." A short pause followed. "How about we wait for more of those unfashionable blokes to come up, then ambush them and grab their armbands? They did say it's a gathering, so more people should be coming... I guess..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A group of 4 came walking in the direction of the warehouse. The party spotted the armbands they were wearing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"There! Those poor saps!" She whispered at her teammates, pleased for a moment before dropping her satisfied smile again. "But... only four... Bah. Amroth, Tellorda, and Lysander could do their stealthy magic tricks; I guess the rest of us are only good for distraction. We'll figure out the rest later."

 

With that said, she started trotting off towards the group of four, taking extra care to bump into as much of them as possible.

 

"Whoopsadaisy!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quarius quickly followed Iris's lead, making the most rebellious face he could as he boldly marched up to the group of four men. "Hey! Hey! Watch where you're stepping, punks! Do you want a fight?! Huh?! Cuz that's how you get a fight!! Come on, just you and me, behind those bushes now! What's the matter, you chicken?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Tryin' to start somethin, bruv?" One of them spoke with a thick, distinct accent.

"Charlie, calm down." The second member of the group intervened. "Forgive my friend, he is in a bad mood."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online