Seanzilla

Sean's Monthly Manga Club #2: Psyren

117 posts in this topic

Sean’s Monthly Manga Club #2 from 12/06 until 10/07:

Psyren

(Also known as PSYЯEN)

Chapters: 145

Completed: Yes

Genres: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Fantasy, Mystery, Sci-fi and Supernatural

Demographic: Shounen

Personal rating: 8 out of 10

Description: Yoshina Ageha is a high school student who offers to help people with their problems for 10,000 yen. He'll take care of your stalkers, find your lost animal, whatever you want. One day when he's heading home, a nearby pay phone rings, and he picks it up. The only thing he hears however is his own voice echoing. After finding a mysterious card with the word 'Psyren' printed on it, his life suddenly changes as he is drawn into a crazy new world.

Why you should read this manga: The main reasons I read Shounen Adventure manga are the ‘oh shit that was awesome’ moments. Psyren has a ton of these and they are executed perfectly. The story has so many twists that I have to be careful with what I do and don’t say, so I’ll leave it at that.

Why you shouldn’t read this manga: Because you still don’t trust me, despite how amazing Hoshi no Samidare was. I guess the ending was a bit weak; I couldn’t find if it had been axed (as is the fate of many WSJ series) or if the author was just sucky at writing endings (something that plagues a ton of mangaka). The story also needs a lot of time to ramp up, it sort of feels like the author wasn’t sure what direction he was going at start.

Weekly discussion starting points:

Chapters 1 to 30 on 20/06

Chapters 31 to 67 on 27/06

Chapters 68 to 103 on 04/07

Chapters 103 to the end on 11/07

Remember; you are free to read ahead, but don’t post any spoilers to events that have yet to happen!

I was going to ask in on this after your last suggestion was so good and then you go and pick one of my favourite manga ever! Man, I'd join in on this just to give myself an excuse to re-read this for the 100th time (Mind you, not that I need much of an excuse!)

Okay, finished Chapter 30~

Why is Oboro so fabulous

This is what I do when I have a day off

Instead of attempting to wake up early to watch the World Cup opening match I spend the whole morning reading manga

Go me

I was going to ask in on this after your last suggestion was so good and then you go and pick one of my favourite manga ever! Man, I'd join in on this just to give myself an excuse to re-read this for the 100th time (Mind you, not that I need much of an excuse!)

Oops! Well, hopefully next month's manga is new for you xD

Oops! Well, hopefully next month's manga is new for you xD

Statistics are probably against me, I read a lot of manga! But who knows, there are also loads I haven't read. You cool with me sticking my head in here with musings as people express their views? (I won't spoil anything, promise :D)

Im gonna join in this one

Also! Since it has been 3 years since I read Psyren, I will be reading along~ And I finished the first 30 chapters already.

Let me know when y'all are done~

It's so lonely at the top~

Chapter 23 now. I'll not doubt be miles ahead by the time Friday comes around.

At least that means I made an excellent choice B)

(Noia already finished the entire series...)

When we discuss are we allowed to make predictions of how we think things will turn out (assuming we haven't already read it all!)

I'm just about to finish chapter 30 so I think I'll write some notes about what I think at this point so I can read abed without fear of my views being schewed.

I'm on... Uh... Chapter 103 now.

Whoops.

Up to Chapter 24 now. Amamiya is annoying as hell.

HEY

U WOT M8

ALSO WTF WST

The mangaka draws explosions well. I approve greatly.

Finished the whole series in one night.

Halfway through I realised I read Psyren before at one point in my life, but couldn't remember when or what the plot was.

I also finished in one night, and I see what Sanzi meant about the ending leaving something to be desired. The fighty bits were awesome, though.

It reminded me a lot of Hoshi no Samidare, with the psychic powers and time travel elements.

And sibling rivalry