Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seanzilla

Sean's Monthly Manga Club #2: Psyren

117 posts in this topic

I SOMEHOW MISSED THIS

Okay, you know the drill. If you read ahead: No spoiling, no foreshadowing, no 'oh man just wait until xxx happens' or 'oh man xxx is so cool dont worry youll understand later lol'.

First impressions? Theories?

What do you think Nemesis Q is upto?

Thoughts on Ageha, Sakurako and Hiryuu?

Also Oboro, what's his deal?

Also Kyo wants predictions, so bring them on! (Everyone other than the faggots who read ahead!)

First impressions: The characters are a tad formulaic (Is it just me or do Matsuri and Yakuza Guy have Death Flag written all over them) but well-executed enough to be likable. Nemesis Q is probably not the main bad guy, and is up to some future-changing shenanigans. Also, the characters' powers are pretty cool, even if I can't stop thinking of Cream from JoJo when I see how Melchsee's Door works.

Ageha is Generic Hot Blooded Dude #1, and Hiryuu is Generic Hot Blooded Dude #2. Not much to see here. Sakurako is a little psycho, but she'll inevitably mellow out after a while.

Oboro is probably less of a moron than he looks. And possibly evil.

I agree with Wstie on many counts.

First Impressions

Agreed about the formulaic nature of the characters. I don't know about Death Flag -- Yakuza Guy looks kinda too unimportant to be killed. I hope so at any rate, I don't want him to die. T.T Matsuri... yes, Matsuri definitely will have things happening to her.

I'm still not convinced yet that the powers are cool. Melchsee's Door is pretty awesome, yeah, but everyone else's isn't much. But the theories of PSI sound very realistic and believable. XD

What do you think of Nemesis Q?

Dumb name. He should get a less generic one.

And yes, definitely Nemesis Q isn't the main bad guy. I'm a bit confused as to the identity of the white-haired guy in the Tower. He's not Nemesis Q, is he? Nemesis Q is the weird masked guy, right? But then they could both be the same person...

Ageha, Sakurako and Hiryuu

Ageha is, as Wstie so succinctly put it, Hot-Blooded Dude #1. Just... so much so. Hiryuu is the generic sniffling little boy who grows up to become some overgrown burly man. His hair is terrible. XD

But yeah, Ageha even generically has the "can't do things right but actually holds tremendous powers of emotion" power. It reminds me of Eren from Shingeki no Kyojin, except perhaps Eren was still a capable fighter without his earth-shattering ability (OOPS WILL NOT SPOIL FURTHER).

Sakurako is, well, I don't know. I find that she isn't very consistent to me. She started off seeming cold and icy, then it turns out she's a tormented soul who knows too much, then it turns out she's just a regular softie. And if the omake is to be believed, she likes cutesy movies and eating a lot of ice-cream. Which seems to describe all girls in manga, almost. So as the manga went further down the road, she became more and more of a normal female character. Even the "promise me you won't die" part is so generic. And then all the tears. Just. Stop it. Stop needing to be protected by men.

Oboro, what's his deal?

OMG FAVOURITE FAVOURITE CHARACTER IN PSYREN. I'm excited to read on cuz of him. If he turns out to be a villain, all the better, cuz his glamourous diva image will totally match up. I cannot begin to gush more about how great he is. He is... he is like Mao from SID in the flesh. Plus his creepy hugging and gorgeous indifference... everything is so great.

He is not a moron!

But yes, got to love him. Best character everrrrr.

Predictions

I'm really bad with predictions. >.< But I think Tatsuo will come back (to die in a more proper fashion after rescuing them from some stronger Tavoo). I know that's kinda meh for a prediction. XD

Okay I'll try another one. Maybe Psyren is actually a force of good. Like Nemesis Q is bringing people into Psyren so that they can stop the evil white-haired bishounen from unleashing his plans in the Tower.

It reminds me of Eren from Shingeki no Kyojin, except perhaps Eren was still a capable fighter without his earth-shattering ability (OOPS WILL NOT SPOIL FURTHER).

Ageha beat a gang of... stalkers (?) by himself and beat the first tavoo without any powers, while Eren got pretty fucked the first time he set out and would've been dead without his earth shattering abilities :x

Oh no, I didn't mean fighting as in brawling. I meant like using the standard powers. Like Ageha couldn't use the standard PSI powers whereas Eren sorta learnt how to use his weapons and stuff.

(I know, my linguistic expression skills are really bad. XD)

Ah, yes, that makes more sense.

Eren had years of training though! Ageha had 2 weeks :D

So. I already like this one more than HnS, and probably will continue to do so. It's more my type of manga. :p

Ugh. Ageha's ability seems like a Null trump card. Negate everything or whatever. I don't like those kind of powers. :/

Amamiya really freaked me out at the beginning with her insanity, but it looks like she's calmed down since not everyone died again and they're proving halfway competent.

Hiryuu's pretty cool. I think he has a good story and was a good kid--kinda cute how he became boss for Tatsuo. Like him more than Ageha.

Oboro~~~

He's the competent Dayereth I couldn't manage to pull off. I love how he brings some levity to this, like asking if he could stop healing because he was bored of hugging Hiryuu. I totally expected him to die of something stupid, but he seems the most promising of the three newbs.

HH, LET US FANGIRL OVER HIM TOGETHER!!!!

Can't make any speculations on Nemesis Q right now, but I'm not sure he's entirely on their side. Would be hilarious if he's the silver-haired guy and creating more psychics to speed up the destruction (piano-biker chick mentioned something about the future possibly being caused by more people gaining psychic powers?).

No specific predictions, but maybe the end of the present will overlap with the beginning of the future, and the Null power will stop it.

A few disjointed thoughts/questions:

Hmmm. With that guy who turned to ash when his card was destroyed... does that mean that their lives are tied to the card as well? What if they're turned into Tavoo, like Tatsuo?

What happens if they don't go for the gate and just start exploring Psyren? Other than the obvious dangers, but is there something limiting them to the map on the phone memo, or can they go further afield in search of clues, etc.?

The tower guy controlling the Tavoo... Well, he's obviously a villain, and you'll find out about him soon enough.

They can explore Psyren, in fact they do a good deal of that later on.

Sakurako isn't that great earlier on, but she gets a little more development later on in the story. I feel the mangaka could probably have done a bit more with her, especially at the finale. The whole finale was a little underwhelming though, so it's not all her fault.

Okay, you know the drill. If you read ahead: No spoiling, no foreshadowing, no 'oh man just wait until xxx happens' or 'oh man xxx is so cool dont worry youll understand later lol'.

Awww, I didn't say anything specific at all~

No one has any opinions on headband dude? Personally, I found him kinda annoying.

First impressions? Theories? - started off a bit dull but started to get good around chapter 20.

What do you think Nemesis Q is upto? - no idea but I presume he/she is not evil. I suspect Nemesis Q isn't even a person, and is instead some sort of construct, be it a spirit, robot or just some other entity that has a primary purpose that it carries out much like a machine does what it is made to do. As such good and evil are not its motivations, only to do what it is designed to do.

Thoughts on Ageha, Sakurako and Hiryuu? - all fairly typical characters. I don't feel overly invested in any of them at the moment. I quite like the pianist chick who trains them, she's cool.

Also Oboro, what's his deal? - weird guy.

As for predictions, I made note of this after finishing chapter 30. My prediction is that the future they are visiting is probably a lot closer than they seem to suspect. This has been sorta hinted anyway. I also suspect that if this is the case, I think we may see future versions of certain characters. Like maybe that white haired kid who was with the old psychic lady.

WHAT SEAN SAID, WST. D:<

I was trying to contribute more to discussion among non-terrible people and inviting speculation, not asking terrible people to answer factually on stuff we haven't read yet.

First impressions? Theories?

I was iffy on this(of course). It was going quickly, not much detail, and I felt the writer wasn't giving much effort or thought into it. I still find moments like this but they're getting fewer and fewer so I think the author is beginning to figure out what they wanna do with the story.

What do you think Nemesis Q is up to?

I think he probably started out with either good intentions and went overboard or he wanted to rule a perfect world and turned it into what it is now. And got lonely and bored, because he can't seem to create a humanoid army with the orbs cause they keep turning into monsters. So he's looking for the best of the best who can beat the game and serve him. Pianist lady wouldn't qualify cause she didn't solve the 'why'. Ooooooor he is bored and wants to be beaten.

Thoughts on

Ageha- Hero-person. Kind of a boring one, honestly. Like the blatantly pointed out one. He constantly says he has these perfect morals and he now has this perfect power and he doesn't seem to have many struggles except with his abusive(?) sister. Even with her, he doesn't seem to care. No attachment on him.

Sakurako- Interesting. Has her creepy moments. But at least she's interesting. Out of this little group, she's my favorite. She's cute, too. But I only have slight attachment to her.

Hiryuu- Kinda lame. He's the strength of the group, obviously. But his past and his present doesn't add up much. Though I don't think this amazing thing happened that made him change into a completely different person. No attachment to him.

Tatsuo- No, he wasn't on the list but I gotta say he is my favorite character xD Out of the extremely brief moment he was actually around, I fell in love with the character depth and how cute and noble he was. SO HE DESERVES TO BE ON MY LIST.

Also Oboro, what's his deal?

Big hot-shot celebrity who hates his life and wants excitement. That part was boring for me. He seems a natural at all the psi stuff so I feel he's hiding something there. With Tatsuo probably gone, Oboro will probably become my next attachment.

Also Kyo wants predictions, so bring them on! (Everyone other than the faggots who read ahead!)

Predictions, huh? Cool. For starters, you know how, like, in EVERY movie involving the future, whatever people do in the present can affect it? Same as with the past? It'd be one poor sight to see if the old lady who gathered all these children to help teach them psi was actually the cause of it because the children(or one of them) rise up to be Nemesis Q(or the bird-guy, if they're not the same thing). Do I think it would make sense? Yes. Do I think that's the way the story is gonna go? Probably not. I've no idea. Probably just a "find the answers, beat the game, save the world" thing :p

O: I like the white-haired boy. I hope he doesn't turn out to be a villain. T.T

(maybe Wstie read the manga wrong and the white-haired guy is actually good after all)

EDIT: Also yes Alisyn we should fan all over him together~.

It would take quite a contrived series of twists for someone with some involvement in turning poor Tatsuo into a Tavoo to be a good guy.

Besides, anyone whose screen time consists of wearing a mask and smiling creepily in manga is probably evil, just saying.

Sigh, you're right.

The guy in the bandanna isn't that bad, i guess, but he hasn't done anything particularly redeeming yet.

Anyway i was amused at all the "i want to become stronger" talk cuz it was just like Hoshi no Samidare. "i want to become stronger for the girl i inexplicably love!"

It's a classic manga thing, wanting to get stronger for random girls. Almost a cliche by now.

I'd be surprised by a shonen hero with no motivation to get stronger, actually.

(Oh wait, there's Gintoki...)

My first impression, as mentioned earlier, is a strong feeling of deja vu that I have read this story somewhere before. Somewhere after the second time they went to Psyren, I realized that I had read this manga series before, but I couldn't remember the plot at all, so it's a good time for a re-reading.

First Impressions

I'm quite intrigued by Oboro's abilities. Obviously, he is no ordinary idiot. He seems to be the type of person who'd betray Ageha in the future because he found the antagonists to be "more interesting". Regardless, there seems to be hidden depths to his personality that I hope will be expounded on in the future. Apart from that, I'm preeeetty sure the kids will play an important role. Psyren is set in the future, so they possibly grow up into super strong warriors of justice(?). Tsundere fire girl is obviously best girl.

Nemesis Q

I think he/she's gonna be an anti-hero of sorts. Perhaps the Kiryuuin Satsuki to Ageha's Ryuuko.

Thoughts on characters

Obviously, Ageha is Ichigo. He holds one of the most powerful abilities (ultra-powerful psy-seeking anti-psy ball of destruction - couldn't be less subtle than that). The rest of the series will probably be about him learning to control his power better and stronger, and eventually unleashing a super ultimate Melchee's Nuclear Bomb Zetsubo Bankai at the end.

Amamiya will be there to keep everyone else alive at first, but her power scaling will definitely be slower than everyone else's (trance is clearly the support role), and she'll end up getting Sakura'd - that is, getting mostly useless power ups that only serve to let her defeat one of the sidekicks, then watch helplessly as Ageha kills everyone.

Hiryu is basically Chad. He's gonna be big and bad and tough and beat the crap out of everyone, then get owned by the Big Bad as part of his worf introduction.

Matsuri is Kenpachi - she's there to kick butt and be badass, but only at the end of the series, only to get sidelined by Ageha.

Kabuto is comic relief.

The Tenjuin kids are gonna be the most interesting characters, in my opinion. They're obviously going to play an important role, although it's pretty unclear at this point.

Overall impressions

The manga was quite captivating overall, since I'm a sucker for time travelling stories. Definitely a great re-read.