Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seanzilla

Sean's Monthly Manga Club #2: Psyren

117 posts in this topic

WHAT

NO

MARIE BEST GIRL

I'm happy for you Frederica and I'm gonna let you finish, but Marie Tenjuin is the best psychic girl of all time! OF ALL TIME!

Marie washes dishes. How can she be best girl?

But if Oboro is a girl, and you're fangirling over him/her...

n4f7b313838bb5.jpg

I don't love him (er I mean her)! Being a fan is different.

Surely girls can be fans of girls too. And boys of boys.

How is that possible

(I just wanted an excuse to post that silly meguca picture)

First impressions? Theories?

I like it. The mystery is working for me, and I like how everyone has their own unique abilities/stats distribution like in HunterxHunter.

What do you think Nemesis Q is upto?

Steins;Gate has taught me that world-altering events are usually masterminded by an organization. Therefore, I'm guessing the silver-haired Tavoo-manipulator is just one of several leaders of some organization that has yet to be revealed by the manga, but may already exist in the present. After all, we've only seen several prefectures in Japan, but the catastrophic event seems to be a global one. There has to be others like Silver-Hair in other parts of Japan/the world.

I agree with Kyo that Nemesis Q seems to be some kind of program, especially considering that it doesn't seem to speak or express itself. Maybe Q is a renegade program/Tavoo from the evil organization, but perhaps it's a Terminator scenario here and Q is an avatar from the Good Organization in the future sent back to the present to prepare mankind for the coming Armageddon. 

In any case, I disagree with Ice; I think that Nemesis Q is either a good entity or a neutral one with no independent will.

Thoughts on Ageha, Sakurako and Hiryuu?

Like Wst pointed out, they're formulaic but fairly likable nonetheless. I find Sakurako annoying as hell though; her personality's kinda inconsistent. She's tsundere most of the time, but other times she acts all seductive. At least Ageha and Hiryuu are consistent in how they behave.

Also Oboro, what's his deal?

I agree with Octy here. He does seem like he might switch allegiances at some point. He has a cryptic "fluid" nature that way. But even if he switches sides, it'll just be so that he can double-cross the bad guys and switch back to the good side. I mean, Cure is pretty Good-oriented as an ability, and their abilities reflect their nature to some extent.

Also Kyo wants predictions, so bring them on! (Everyone other than the faggots who read ahead!)

Ice has mentioned an interesting theory. She says that whatever's being done now by the characters will cause the future Psyren to become reality. While I disagree that one of the Elmore Wood children will be the cause of the Armageddon Event (if anything, I think they'll become the Good Organization given how Tenjuin Elmore has drilled purpose into them), I think the concept itself is worth discussing. I personally think that the Armageddon Event is already set in stone by events already set into motion prior to the start of this present as shown by the manga, and what the characters are trying to do with the Psyren Game is avert that future (so basically Steins;Gate/ Terminator/Zero Escape). So I don't actually think that their actions will end up causing the Armageddon, probably delay or change its scale/nature.

I expect that the Tavoo will show up in the present at some point; as Kyo has pointed out, the future Psyren is probably quite close to the present.

Considering i take 1 full day to finish the assigned chapters, i mayn't be able to finish them in time once i start work. I'll do my best but if i don't make it you guys can have the discussion still and i'll continue reading in my own time. I don't mind spoilers anyway. XD

Hey guys! Sean is sleepy and I didn't mind the task, so I'll be posting questions for the chapters we've just covered! Question 1 will be hidden in the spoiler for HH's sake!~

You have seen what happened to Oboro. He was a favorite, so what are some reactions to his death? Was it expected? Did it catch you off guard?

2. You have met some of the stronger opponents from W.I.S.E. Do you think Ageha's team will be able to beat them? Or will this Manga end in a tragedy?

3. What do you think of Ageha's current team? Their powers, their likelihood to survive, their usefulness?

4. You have been introduced to the children grown up! What was your reaction to their appearance?(I squealed x3) What is your reaction to their powers?

5. Ageha and his team ran into Amagi Miroku. Were you shocked at the new information this brought to light? What role do you think this will play?

6. Ageha got to speak to Nemesis Q. What do you think Q's ultimate goal is now? Have your thoughts or predictions been changed by this?

7. Ageha is training with his power. Do you have any thoughts on what his power will lead to in this Manga?

8. Of course, always interested in everyone's other predictions and their favorite characters!

1. "That guy just fell into a dead monster graveyard. He's dead for good." SAID NO ONE EVER

He'll probably reappear at some key juncture, perhaps wearing a Char mask or something.

2. Team Ageha should be able to defeat some of them, though I'm half convinced some of them will randomly turn good halfway. Like that Grana chap, who strikes me as the Kenpachi type who's only in it for a fight. Or the little girl, since it would be kinda messed up to have to kill her.

3. Marie best girl

Honorable mention to Francesca

Everyone on that team will probably get a good fight or three, though Kyle will probably be one of the stand-outs 'cos he's motherfucking Kyle Tenjuin.

They'll probably live this time round.

4. *ahem*

Marie still best girl

Francesca is a badass. SO MUCH FIRE IT'S GLORIOUS TO BEHOLD

Kyle unfortunately reminds me of Yami Marik, but he's cool too. He'll probably take over from our dear departed Hiryu (WHO IS OBVIOUSLY NOT DEAD EITHER NO ONE DIES FROM FALLS IN MANGA-LAND)

5. Him being the little brother kinda threw me for a loop, first time around. He's probably gonna show up in the future timeline leading the Star Commanders, and end up as the last boss.

6. Nemesis Q is definitely not the bad guy. I'm guessing it's controlled by the future version of an existing character.

7. He'll unlock more versatile techniques to control the Door like what he did with the Lance. Maybe he'll wrap himself in it and become a rip-off of Vanilla Ice from JoJo.

8. Marie best girl

This bears repeating thrice

I'm sorry I clicked on the Spoiler.

It was too much for me, especially when my name was mentioned.

NOOOOOOOOOOO.

However Wstie's Point 1 makes sense. PHEWWW.

EDIT: Also I really don't have the time to read Psyren at all till my job's over (I didn't realise how little one can do with 8 less hours everyday) so it's alright. No need to hide spoiler tags. I'll jump ahead on the story vicariously through you guys. XD

Ah, sorry. By Ageha's team I meant his team with the cards, not the Elmore Wood kids. Sorry if that wasn't clear :p haha I was like 'did I really repeat a question????' then I saw my miscommunication.

HH you cheater D: <

Alright then, time to answer again.

Kabuto is marginally more useful now, but he's not very interesting as he's kind of a cliche. He's going to learn to be brave and save everyone!

Rescuing Ageha was a heroic move on his part though. Ten bucks is that he'll be stronger when he recovers.

Hiryu is totally dead of course. It's impossible that he would ever meet Tatsuo again, since Tatsuo can't possibly have survived all that time in the wilderness. He couldn't possibly have gotten any stronger.

SAID NO ONE EVER, ONCE AGAIN

Amamiya is okay. Less annoying, I think... But I was a tad disappointed her scythe wasn't a giant mind jack. (What would be the good of having a giant mind jack anyway)

1. Wait, what. He's dead? I thought he just fell into a trash heap and would find his way out. :x

I'm with wst on this one (SHOCKING, I KNOW). Until it's confirmed, I won't believe it. IS THIS AN ACTUAL SPOILER, ICE?

2. Pffffft. Bad ending? As if.

3. Some will live, some will die (not enough and not the ones I want).

4. I like Shao. Others are still kinda annoying, imo, though it was cute when Kyle saved Ageha.

5. It was interesting and somewhat unexpected, but it clearly was significant since it changed the future/the meeting thing. Not sure what "new information" it gave besides his face, though, since we knew his power from the "original" footage.

He wasn't the real little brother, wst. He just brainwashed the creep into thinking so. The younger brother died a while ago.

6. Same as always. Change the future by raising psychics in the past-present. He is showing special treatment to Ageha, though, so he seems to be very important to the plans. Which leads to next answer.

7. Mentioned my speculation before. A Null power that will neutralize the bad guys and somehow reset the past-present.

8. Oboro. Duh. One of the only characters I remember without having to consult Google. Reading manga at this pace makes names slip right of my head, especially since they're not European and thus unfamiliar/hard to make associations. xD

Also the kids, I guess. Shao > Kyle > Marie > Francesca

Random thoughts:

If the phone at the exit gate is destroyed, do they have no way to leave Psyren?

Also, how are they getting out this time, since there were no instructions to start/go to the exit gate? Or will they be staying inside until the series is resolved and Q brings them home?

I know he wasn't the actual younger brother, but yeah, you get the point. It was a surprise, because I hadn't turned my plot savvy senses on. I thought he had some kind of mental disorder at first.

How dare you insinuate that us Asians are forgettable, undifferentiated robot drones, even though we obviously are?

They will leave Psyren by accepting the sweet embrace of death, of course. XD

I'm not at liberty to divulge that information.

PS: Anyone who believes manga characters can die by falling into big holes hasn't read enough manga. In fact they inevitably emerge from their predicament with even more shonen power~

Psh. I don't spoil. Everything I put has already been stated in the manga ^^

Are you seriously asking 'what will happen'?! Alisyn stooooop D: <

EDIT: I realize that was probably more of a 'let's discuss what could happen' rather than actually asking. It is late. I am tired. Just ignore me >.> *goes to bed now*

Well, yeah, I thought he was the real younger brother too and it was unusual how the mastermind just showed up so early on, but... :p

Seems like it was luck more than anything else that led to that fortuitous happenstance.

I know who they are on sight, but growing up in the Western world makes it hard to remember Eastern names. D;

Western ones I can make associations like "Francesca/Franziska von Karma" but I don't have enough Eastern references to make mnemonics. Especially anything but Chinese. >.<

I actually did consider they might just be trapped there forever, but... I don't find that likely. xD

Yes, I am *clearly* asking for spoilers for the entire series to call down the wrath of the Great and Terrible Sean because I haven't made it very clear my opinion of reading ahead. /sarcasm

I joined this because I wanted to discuss manga, not simply answer questions every week. I thought the questions were just to spark discussion, not the end of a weekly obligation. Else I'd just read the suggested manga and ignore this thread.

I find it interesting to talk to other people about it and exchange ideas/feelings/interpretations, so I've been noting down my own questions as I read to try to encourage more theories. Sorry if only the club moderator is allowed to present questions. -______-