Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seanzilla

Sean's Monthly Manga Club #2: Psyren

117 posts in this topic

You seem to have stumbled upon a spoiler, however. Perhaps you have to ask a different question.

Also, I remember characters by giving them stupid descriptive nicknames.

What does everyone think of the current villains? And who do you think will end up fighting who, since one on one grudge matches are the norm in SHOUNEN series?

I'm afraid the only person who actively discusses questions without reading ahead is Ether. (I don't read ahead but I'm not much of a discusser except OBORO IS GREAT AND MIGHTY) Ether's working hard at the reading and I think he should be able to get it done tonight. ^^

I'm quite sorry that I haven't been obediently reading like I should. However if you like I can read up as much as possible and we can discuss together. Here may be too slow cuz I'll probably be like wayyy behind though. However I'm reaaaaally bad at speculations and noting details. I'm the fangirl kind of person, not the analyst kind like Ether. So if you don't mind we can always talk on Skype.

I remember characters. I don't remember their names. Thus my referring to everyone by their beasts in HnS. >.>

Ageha vs their boss, definitely.

Don't know enough about the enemies to figure out the other matchups, though. But I'd imagine similar powers vs each other. Like, Amamiya might be against someone who's also good at Sensor-type Psy.

OBORO. I keep thinking back to when Hiryuu passed out and woke up to that monstrosity. And he realized Oboro was lying through his teeth about trying to cure them and was just playing with it. Imagine what he can do in the trash heap. xDD

Well played, Shiner. Well played.

To use the appropriate analogy...

Shiner basically tried to kill a shark by drowning it. Sure, he didn't know what Oboro is capable of, but villains like him should seriously consider just decapitating every protagonist they overpower.

/oh, forgot/didn't know Shiner was a character

WHY YOU SPOIL?? D;

Glad to know Oboro becomes more badass instead of dying, though. :p

But villains must always do stupid stuff like reveal their master plan to the hero so he can escape and thwart them on every front. Otherwise, good would never win. :x

Spoiler 
You have seen what happened to Oboro. He was a favorite, so what are some reactions to his death? Was it expected? Did it catch you off guard?

Yeah, man. Whatever Wst and Alisyn said. Dropping him into a tavoo graveyard is too much of a giveaway. I'm guessing he'll come out with the ability to manipulate tavoo, maybe like Cat Knight, or with a tavoo partner.

2. You have met some of the stronger opponents from W.I.S.E. Do you think Ageha's team will be able to beat them? Or will this Manga end in a tragedy?

It seems that the Elmore teenagers are of a higher power level than Shiner, who I believe is Ranked 3rd in command (and is costumed like a Mega Man character). Plus, this manga seems to lack the drive to kill off its key cast; I mean, even Kagetora (who looks a lot like this guy from World Embryo) survived, which is a real missed opportunity for tragedy given how Ageha had brushed him off. So I doubt if it will 'end in tragedy'. The Elmore kids even get un-killed.

That being said, the good guys seem to be overwhelming the bad guys right now, so something is bound to occur to shift the perception of power back to the baddies. It's just a matter of what it is. So I'm thinking maybe there're more stronger bad guys beyond Grana, because I find it odd that Amagi Miroku hasn't appeared yet in this future. So he might be holed up somewhere with the pioneer W.I.S.E. After all, Grana was constructing more tavoo factories, which seems like something middle-level management does, not the head honcho.

3. What do you think of Ageha's current team? Their powers, their likelihood to survive, their usefulness?

Hiryu might die soon, since he seems to be receiving very little attention. But like Wst pointed out again, the thread with Tatsuo needs to be tied up first. Amamiya probably won't die since she's the romantic love interest and there's no real replacement for her. As in, I believe it's the Fire Emblem parent system at work here and the parent generation doesn't get together with the offspring generation.

4. You have been introduced to the children grown up! What was your reaction to their appearance?(I squealed x3) What is your reaction to their powers?

Shao looks a lot like TTGL's Rossiu Adai:

rDFYEpw.jpg

Frederica sprouts way too many corny lines in battle.

Van is j'adorable.

Marie, eh?

BVvplrL.png

Marie best pair of boobs..

Kyle is Ageha No. 2, I guess.

I want to pair Granny Elmore with Bookman from D. Gray Man. 

SknIhKs.jpg

They are so perfect for each other.

5. Ageha and his team ran into Amagi Miroku. Were you shocked at the new information this brought to light? What role do you think this will play?

Sephiroth Tree and a pseudo Gates of Babylon, very nice. Uh, the current evidence points to Ageha's team being stuck in Psyren, but I feel like they  still need to do more to alter the events that occur on the Day of Rebirth. Like, maybe the Elmore teenagers will lose in this present and Ageha has to return to the past to alter it some more (in fact, one theory I have is that future Ageha is Nemesis Q's creator).

Again, I'm referencing the world line theory in Steins;Gate. Ageha has to create enough change in order to herald a new future where the Day of Rebirth is averted. He's currently doing it step-by-step, but he's far from done, I believe.

An alternative explanation is that Nemesis Q's purpose was to ensure that the Elmore kids survive the Day of Rebirth event. Now that that has been achieved, the manga won't bother with pre-Rebirth present anymore. 

6. Ageha got to speak to Nemesis Q. What do you think Q's ultimate goal is now? Have your thoughts or predictions been changed by this?

See above. Considering how Ageha and Co. seems to be the only group the manga follows and they haven't met any other Drifters as strong as them, I believe that Nemesis Q's goal is to make Ageha and Co. become the powerful Psychicers they need to become so that they can change the Day of Rebirth event by repeating the Nemesis Q project as many times as they need to.

7. Ageha is training with his power. Do you have any thoughts on what his power will lead to in this Manga?

See above.

8. Of course, always interested in everyone's other predictions and their favorite characters!

See above. 

9. If the phone at the exit gate is destroyed, do they have no way to leave Psyren?

Interesting question, hm. I'm guessing there are multiple exit phones though, and if one is destroyed, they can just go to the next one that's nearby?

10. Also, how are they getting out this time, since there were no instructions to start/go to the exit gate? Or will they be staying inside until the series is resolved and Q brings them home?

See above.

I was with the avert-Day of Rebirth theory too (I figured they'd be developing their powers in Psyren before going back to defeat them in the present), but I'm not sure how they're getting back this time. But I figure if Q can drop them in, he can pull them out when he feels like it?

Was kinda weird, though, how none of them showed up in either video of the Day of Rebirth. I figure it has to be significant somehow.

I do think they'll end up back in the present, though. Because defeating them in the future won't change what's happened.

And if the gate phone is destroyed, then will they get another vision, or stumble blindly east? Or will the map update?

Perhaps they aren't in the Day of Rebirth videos because in those timelines, they never returned... Maybe they were doomed to die in Psyren or something.

I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone else's theories. Although I don#t think Ageha is Nemesis Q's creator. I think the reveal of who that is, is probably still a ways away from now. It was cool to see the adult Elmore Wood kids. Kyle is so cooool! Not really sure what the future holds but I suspect there is a few curve balls ahead since the plot has given the good guys a pretty significant advantage for now. 

Yeah, for all we know, they're jumping from a World Line (A) Present to a World Line (B) Future, and when they return, they return to a World Line (B) or (C ) Present.

We know that there's been 2 drastic events so far that's altered the future - Ageha causing the kids to see Sephiroth ahead of time and Ageha causing Tenjuin Elmore to survive the airplane crash. So there're 3 World Lines in play now, assuming that a new World Line is created each time a drastic event occurs (as opposed to only one fluid World Line that changes each time).

I don't think this is a multiple-future thing they can hop between, though.

Yeah, they're only allowed to visit one timeline, and any changes they cause in the real world affect what kind of timeline they end up in. At least, there's no indication it works any differently from that.

Well, so far they can't control their time-travelling which they can travel to, so they're always diverging further and further away from the original Psyren future (and it looks like just one fluid timeline).

But the chief reason why I suggested that there were multiple time-lines because the character retained their memories of the previous contents on uncle's tape even after it was changed post-encounter-with-Amagi-in-the-Present. One tape, but memories of two different futures. It reminds me of Zero Escape in that at least one character retains his memories of multiple possible futures and is able to act on that knowledge to create a new future that hitherto didn't exist.

Oh, on a different matter, another reason to suspect that future W.I.S.E has more enemies beyond Grana: Dholaki (Explosia guy) was present on both the Day of Rebirth and Psyren 9 years later, so we must suspect that Amagi and Junas must still be present somewhere in the Psyren 9 years later.

Junas was there during the scene they introduced Grana, wasn't he? He randomly destroyed a pillar or something. And there was that Tavoo-making girl too.

I don't like Junas, because he has shit taste in hats.

Oh, I figured I'd go ahead and mention that the Elmore kids showing up and being all badass was my favourite moment in the entire manga. Also Marie best girl, no matter what timeline it is~

1 person likes this

Oh, I figured I'd go ahead and mention that the Elmore kids showing up and being all badass was my favourite moment in the entire manga.

My view differs none x3333

*differs not x3333

I preferred their entrance over the larger-scale battles at the climax actually, perhaps because I wasn't a big fan of the ending.

But the chief reason why I suggested that there were multiple time-lines because the character retained their memories of the previous contents on uncle's tape even after it was changed post-encounter-with-Amagi-in-the-Present. One tape, but memories of two different futures. It reminds me of Zero Escape in that at least one character retains his memories of multiple possible futures and is able to act on that knowledge to create a new future that hitherto didn't exist.

Reminds me of X-Men: Days of Future Past. :p

They're just going back and forth from the future and past, but each is following a linear timeline. They aren't going backwards in either and changing the past that they've already experienced. They're just acting in whichever "present" that they're in, which affects others' decisions and the future, but to them, the future isn't decided yet and can thus be altered while they remember what they did. They kinda exist outside of the world timeline? It's not like they have a past and future self that would have different memories based on how the past changes. Their consciousness is continuous.

1. The first time they saw it was in Psyren, which contained the future based on the current status of the "game."

2. They returned to the past and discovered Amagi while Ageha was trying to save the kids. This changed the future, so when Kabuto's uncle filmed it, he filmed the new "future." However, to them, this occurred AFTER they saw the first video. So there isn't a time paradox here for them.

3. From the second video, they pinpointed the old lady's death and acted to prevent it. I'd bet that if they had the DVD, the film would be different again. But again, to them, they'd be viewing it chronologically.

They don't have "memories" of the future. The tape is nothing more than a glimpse into the mutable future, like how Granny can't be 100% sure of the future. And almost got Kyle killed because Amagi had the power to alter it. :x

If that makes any sense at all.

I already reached the next chapter quota. Gonna take a break so as not to warp my current views.

Reading ahead in this manga I am noticing that the translations are terrible.

Oh yeah, you reached "that bit".

Seriously those translations were DUWANG-tier

1400979728057.jpg

Yeah its actually making me infuriated.

1 person likes this